• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff-DSA

So my wife got a MyTouch 4G Slide, and it doesn't have the standard News and Weather widget that's standard in Gingerbread. Does anybody know where I can get it, even if I have to load from a 3rd party market? She really misses it and doesn't like any of the the other news/weather widgets nearly as much.

Edit: Found it on the XDA forums.

Goldrush

How easy is it to play with launcher? I am currently using Sense UI on a unrooted phone. If I uninstall the launcher, will everything go back to normal or will I need to clean up afterward?

JaseMath

2 days into an iPhone...and I hate it. I miss my DInc and the Android OS - it's leagues ahead of where Apple is from a user-control standpoint. I think I'm going to eat the $35 restock fee and just chalk it up to the cost of being a gadget whore.

Husker86

Goldrush said:
How easy is it to play with launcher? I am currently using Sense UI on a unrooted phone. If I uninstall the launcher, will everything go back to normal or will I need to clean up afterward?

It'll go back to normal. The first time you install a new one an option will come up when you hit home to choose the default launcher.

JasonMCG said:
2 days into an iPhone...and I hate it. I miss my DInc and the Android OS - it's leagues ahead of where Apple is from a user-control standpoint. I think I'm going to eat the $35 restock fee and just chalk it up to the cost of being a gadget whore.
ask Siri for suggestions on how to avoid restocking fees.

finally got the screenshot sdk going, such a pain lol
G8VHH.png

Mr Nightman said:
its called fancy widget, you'll have to find it hosted somewhere since its no longer on the market
oh wow, they got a C&D from HTC!?

looks like 2.0 is on the market, but it doesn't look exactly like the HTC clock widget anymore... but it's now skinnable!

apparently, 1.3.0 was the last version that looked like that natively.

The Faceless Master said:
oh wow, they got a C&D from HTC!?

looks like 2.0 is on the market, but it doesn't look exactly like the HTC clock widget anymore... but it's now skinnable!

apparently, 1.3.0 was the last version that looked like that natively.
yea, I have the apk backed up on my sd for restores and whatnot, because of the c and d. Glad I have it since that was my favorite part of my old droid incredible htc sense ui. Rocking a droid x now

panda21

how dangerous is it to install stuff like that iphone launcher? it says it can make calls and has access to my data.. somehow i'm not sure i trust some random developer. i guess there would be complaints on the market if it did bad things, but maybe people just didnt notice yet?

panda21 said:
how dangerous is it to install stuff like that iphone launcher? it says it can make calls and has access to my data.. somehow i'm not sure i trust some random developer. i guess there would be complaints on the market if it did bad things, but maybe people just didnt notice yet?
not saying it has it, but if it has a feature that lets you make shortcuts to call people, it needs those permissions.

Swig_

So, I'm considering switching to Sprint and getting my first smartphone..

The two top choices (that I can see, at least) are the Galaxy S2 Epic and the Evo 3D.

Anyone have any suggestions on which I should choose and why?

The 3D thing seems interesting, but possibly a gimmick. Not sure how often I would use it, but I do like the idea of having that technology available. I've never seen a glassesless 3D display. I might go check it out at a local store. However, the Galaxy seems to have a much superior camera. I don't take many camera phone pics, but that may be because I've had a non-smartphone with a camera that isn't so great.

I'd maybe consider the iPhone, but I have an ipod touch 4G and so I'd prefer something Android. Plus, they're probably out of stock on the iPhones.

I'm not sure where to start. Most of my friends have the Evo4G and seem happy with it.

Are there any MAJOR pros or cons to one or the other that would be important or is it really sixes?

Edit: I should mention that I'm planning on tethering or using a wifi hotspot for internet at work. That capability is a must. Also, is there any difference between the phones as far as tethering performance?

wario

2 new blurry cam videos of ics

link 1
link 2

things i noticed:
-new SMS icon
-outline around google search bar has been replaced with just a blue line underneath the search box
-in recent apps, the height of each snapshot has been reduced so you can see more apps on screen. also, once you scroll to the bottom, there were two more categories, 'system apps' and launcher apps.

wario said:

link 1
link 2

things i noticed:
-new SMS icon
-outline around google search bar has been replaced with just a blue line underneath the search box
-in recent apps, the height of each snapshot has been reduced so you can see more apps on screen. also, once you scroll to the bottom, there were two more categories, 'system apps' and launcher apps.

Weird, the App Tray is different in these new videos (compared to the original Prime leak video). In these videos, you scroll up-and-down, rather than left-to-right with the icons popping in from the background. Very disappointing if they went back to the older style. Maybe these new videos are fake? This YouTuber did upload a fake video a week ago (Prime in Poland).

wario said:

link 1
link 2

things i noticed:
-new SMS icon
I'm calling it. Fake!! Screen doesn't look tall enough to be a Prime, nor is the resolution there.

Polari

Kod1ak said:
So, I'm considering switching to Sprint and getting my first smartphone..

The two top choices (that I can see, at least) are the Galaxy S2 Epic and the Evo 3D.

Go for the Galaxy S2. Great screen, great battery life, great performance. I don't think it's too much of a leap to say that it's pretty much regarded as the best Android phone in its class.

Zapages

Get the galaxy S2:

Anyway this is what I have done to maximize the battery life on my Galaxy S2:

I have done the following:
+I have kept my screen brightness to dim or auto.
+used the pre-built in task manager to kill apps that running and free some ram up (if you want to)
+Disabled auto refresh for apps like facebook or weather apps until I click on refresh/manually do it myself.
+Disabled linking to mobile network until I need it to be. Basically enable it when I am going out)
+Have data manager running in background at all times to see how much data I am using.
+stopped playing words with friends on it as it kills the battery.
+I found the popular games to be present both on IOS and Android market.

My normal use is about:

+About 5 to 7 calls a day.
+Use Google music to stream music as I am driving back home from school or use tune in to listen to radio from network. (about 1 hour commute one way)
+about 2 to 3 text messages per day.
+ recording a 3 hour lecture
+playing a few games here and there for 10 to 20 minutes

In the end of the day, I have about 15 to 30% battery life. Not bad... This is from like 7 am till 9 pm.

Kermit The Frog said:
So I'm getting an Xperia Play. What are the benefits of rooting an android phone?

One of the main benefits is Custom Roms, There are LOADS of different roms developed by the community which are often less power consuming, faster and come in a whole bunch of different flavors.

There's also a few apps that require root access like Wi-fi tethering (atleast it does on my HTC Hero, I think most phones have it built in now)

Kermit The Frog said:
So I'm getting an Xperia Play. What are the benefits of rooting an android phone?
Noooooooooooo! (Unless it's cheap)

Unless I'm mistaken you can only root this phone if you bought it sim free. Bootloader is locked if you get it through a carrier.

Looking for feedback on the Motorola Atrix (European Model). Seems to be undergoing price cuts in the UK, dual core and 1gb memory interests me. Wondering how it performs in real world tests. And if there is much of a modding scene/root availablity, and what version of Android its currently running.

(Currently have Galaxy S)

OriginalThinking said:
Noooooooooooo! (Unless it's cheap)

Unless I'm mistaken you can only root this phone if you bought it sim free. Bootloader is locked if you get it through a carrier.
That's exactly the reason I'm getting it, in the UK the xperia play has dropped below 50% of the RRP. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't give it a second glance.

I'm going to get a sim free version so that should be easy to root right? If I root will I lose any functionality? Also I'm sticking with the stock OS, is there still a point to rooting if I'm not going to install CFW?

Also, I've heard it is possible to overclock the CPU to at least 1.5GHZ over the stock 1GHZ, are there any downsides to that apart from reduced battery? Also, will the CPU downclock itself when I'm not using its power?

sionyboy said:
Looking for feedback on the Motorola Atrix (European Model). Seems to be undergoing price cuts in the UK, dual core and 1gb memory interests me. Wondering how it performs in real world tests. And if there is much of a modding scene/root availablity, and what version of Android its currently running.

Dual core is nice and all but I don't see the Atrix being enough of an upgrade over a Galaxy S to justify it. S2 too expensive for you?

kinggroin

Banned
sionyboy said:

High Res screen but worse blacks and color accuracy. Better games support and exclusivity and pretty comparable in real world performance tests. Worse browser, arguably better stock launcher.

OriginalThinking said:
Dual core is nice and all but I don't see the Atrix being enough of an upgrade over a Galaxy S to justify it. S2 too expensive for you?

Pretty much. Upgrading to Atrix would cost me about £80, S2 would be £250 :(
Don't get me wrong, I know what I'd much rather have!

I was looking at the Atrix as a short term replacement until dual core ICS phones with HD Amoled screens are flooding the market.

High Res screen but worse blacks and color accuracy. Better games support and exclusivity and pretty comparable in real world performance tests. Worse browser, arguably better stock launcher.

Worse browser? I thought dual core would've really helped with browsing. :/
Not too bothered about launcher, I'm a LauncherPro kinda guy!

kinggroin said:

Chainfire3D sorts out the "Tegra exclusive" titles. They run better on the GS2 even after enabling 4xmsaa.

sionyboy said:
Worse browser? I thought dual core would've really helped with browsing. :/

No hardware acceleration on the atrix browser, it makes a huge difference.

Kermit The Frog said:
That's exactly the reason I'm getting it, in the UK the xperia play has dropped below 50% of the RRP. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't give it a second glance.

I'm going to get a sim free version so that should be easy to root right? If I root will I lose any functionality? Also I'm sticking with the stock OS, is there still a point to rooting if I'm not going to install CFW?

Also, I've heard it is possible to overclock the CPU to at least 1.5GHZ over the stock 1GHZ, are there any downsides to that apart from reduced battery? Also, will the CPU downclock itself when I'm not using its power?
You won't lose functionality with root, you'll gain it! I presume with an unlocked bootloader that root and custom recovery should be straightforward but having not owned that handset I'd suggest a poke around the XDA forums for advice ;-)

Beyond the power issue overclocking can cause your phone to lose stability and at those speeds it might get a bit warm. The risk in overclocking is seriously shortening the life of the CPU but you can set it so that it will underclock when idle and overclock when required through set CPU.

dream

Copernicus said:
I just realized what's happening

How does it run?

Not bad. There are little bits of weirdness here and there but, on the whole, it's much faster, more stable, and far more robust than that atrociously dreadful webOS horseshit. I miss the Honeycomb browser terribly though, and I am angry at Google for their non-AOSP bullshit. I had forgotten how janky stock Gingerbread is in some spots, especially the settings. It took me forever to remember how to get to the wifi sleep policy (drilling down through 4 layers of menus? With the last one require the menu button? Really?).

PS: how does dream get Netflix in Canada? shit ain't in the market.

kehs

Banned
dream said:
Not bad. There are little bits of weirdness here and there but, on the whole, it's much faster, more stable, and far more robust than that atrociously dreadful webOS horseshit. I miss the Honeycomb browser terribly though, and I am angry at Google for their non-AOSP bullshit. I had forgotten how janky stock Gingerbread is in some spots, especially the settings. It took me forever to remember how to get to the wifi sleep policy (drilling down through 4 layers of menus? With the last one require the menu button? Really?).

PS: how does dream get Netflix in Canada? shit ain't in the market.
Did you try market enabler? Its on the market lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom