• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way to download podcasts in the google play store? I'm just curious if it's possible like on the iPod/iphone where I could download a german news podcasts or if I have to download from elsewhere to get it.

Zeppu

Did I miss something?
Is there a better way around territory restrictions than market enabler?
I've been relying on it to let me buy Japanese apps while on a U.S. carrier.
I guess I could take out the SIM and run a wi-if connection through a VPN but that's more of a hassle than rooting.

Actually, no, not really. But back in the day the market was offered in, like, 5 countries and no one else could get any paid apps. Now there still are some restrictions but not even close to, say, two years ago.

What do you think about Ubuntu?

The Rom I tried out fucked up the usb filesystem access. Kies Air wouldn't work either. Even the file explorer tool from the Android sdk wasn't doing the trick. Dropbox and WiFi is too slow for transferring files :/ That's one feature I miss from the Galaxy Tab — hot swappable microsd cards. I hate having to reboot. That's why I prefer external battery backs to swapping batteries. That's the other thing I miss form the Galaxy Tab was the battery life — the Galaxy Tab 7.7 could go 2 days on a charge. The Galaxy Note gets about a day (the iPhone 4S was 3/4s of a day and the Galaxy Nexus was about 2/3s to half a day)... Anyway I switched back to the Samsung ICS. Root access is enough for my needs for now.

So yeah, to follow up on Tino's comments, what the community needs to replace, or serve as starter before, xda forums is a:
1) a blog, review site, wiki or even a freaking google docs spreadsheet that just lists each ROM, their features and where to find them.
2) a site with installation instructions and videos for each of the popular ROMs.

That would take care of 90% of the problems that power users and noobs have with xda.

the problem is there is a very (VERY) low number of people who know what they're doing that also give enough of a shit to help noobs by METICULOUSLY detailing everything

because there are already 1) and 2) on XDA (and Youtube via XDA), and while 2) seems to be taking off recently, 1) is pretty stagnant

it all depends on the sub-community around a specific device, manufacturer and/or carrier. for example, with Samsung Sprint phones, there's a guy, QBKing77, who does tons of helpful videos and the posters in the subforum in general aren't douchebags.

Hey guys, just got a Nexus and would like to know the best app for monitoring calls/minutes usage.

ICS only monitors the data, right?

Anyone know an app that can control your desktop remotely? I'm going to download something on Steam and want to shut off my laptop when it's finished while I'm out.

I find the best one to be Team Viewer

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Galaxy Note 10.1 getting a stylus slot:

PDUKA.jpg

w7q3d.jpg

For those keeping score at home, this thing supposedly has:

Quad Core Exynos
New beefy GPu
possibly high-rez screen?

This thing is going to be amazing if it ever comes out.

kehs

Banned
I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but Sketchbook Pro added stylus pressure sensitivity support in the past week.

PDUKA.jpg

w7q3d.jpg

Quad Core Exynos
New beefy GPu

The funny thing is, after having had an HP Touchpad since the fire sale last year, I can't fathom why anybody would want a 16:9 aspect ratio on a tablet. This is something Apple got right on Day 1 with the iPad and it's 4:3 aspect. All the Android tablets with 16:9 aspect make me want to retch.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The funny thing is, after having had an HP Touchpad since the fire sale last year, I can't fathom why anybody would want a 16:9 aspect ratio on a tablet. This is something Apple got right on Day 1 with the iPad and it's 4:3 aspect. All the Android tablets with 16:9 aspect make me want to retch.

Can't speak for everyone, but I'm using mine for art. 16:10 works perfectly for me since most of my work is done in that aspect ratio. I also don't have any problems using it for anything else like reading stuff online or holding it unlike some of you drama queens.

Gotta watch them movies & TV shows on my 10" screen without black bars, yo.

Husker86

I had a Galaxy Tab 10.1 for a while and now back to iPad with the new iPad and I agree. I prefer to use tablets in portrait but I always used the Tab in landscape because it was really the only comfortable way. I watch movies and shows on my tablet but they don't make up the majority of what I do. Even with black bars, it isn't too big of an annoyance.

I keep hearing about the "joys" of developing for iOS, and how Android is a pain in the butt to develop for. For example, on yesterdays Tech News Today they briefly talked about it:

http://twit.tv/show/tech-news-today/505

Edit: could be Fridays episode: http://twit.tv/show/tech-news-today/504

I can't speak from experience since I'm not a developers. But it seems this is the consensus every time this topic comes up.

I think part of it is playing into pre existing bias. Confirmation bias. Don't get me wrong, I think until this year developing for Android definitely need improvements in support - 3 things have happened since then - Ice Cream Sandwich, X86 GPU acceleration support in the emulator (meaning it
actually is useful now, not the laggy 5fps mess it was before) and the Android style guidelines. There is definitely room for improvement however and Google needs to improve the market much further, so that devs have a greater chance of people stumbling upon their apps. In particular I'd like to see advanced search options where I can really drill down on the detail that I'm looking for and also social, maybe a column for what your friends have +1'd etc etc. And frankly when it comes to the tablet space they are going to have to do something and quickly.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
beware, they will snap off and leave themselves inside the Note:

so surgery is required:
Hcqkil.jpg

but luckily, it lives again!
pfzcXl.jpg

the bastard in question:
wWlTwl.jpg

Got this weird glitch happening with my nexus s.

It doesn't show a charging indicator when its charging.

I can go all they way into settings - battery and it says its charging but nothing on the main screen.

Tried turning off and on and taking the battery out for a few minutes.

I guess Ill just let the battery run dead and see if that does anything.

No other problems with the battery, it lasts as long as it normally has so I guess its a software thing.

Blackhead

Redarse
Can't speak for everyone, but I'm using mine for art. 16:10 works perfectly for me since most of my work is done in that aspect ratio. I also don't have any problems using it for anything else like reading stuff online or holding it unlike some of you drama queens.
Yeah the Galaxy Tab 7.7 has the 16:10 aspect ratio and it was much better than I imagined. It's like a sheet of paper really; it was good for reading in portrait.

http://i.imgur.com/PDUKA.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/w7q3d.jpg

Quad Core Exynos
New beefy GPu

Keeps getting better and better! I never understood why HTC and Lenovo sold android tablets with the pen support as a selling point then forced the customer to buy it separately. Samsung is wise not to make the same mistake.

Does that included pen have the eraser at the end though? It boggles my mind that Samsung didn't include one for the s-pen on the Galaxy note but it was probably so it could fit in a small slot on the body. The erasers on all the tablet pc pens work on the Galaxy Note so the feature is there... The earlier previews showed the Galaxy NOte 10.1 s-pen with an eraser but this one looks different.

The Verge: Sony Xperia P review

81FbI.png

Wrap-up

Were it endowed with Android 4.0 the Xperia P would be a true competitor

The Sony Xperia P is a solid mid-range smartphone, and were it endowed with Android 4.0, it would be a true competitor. Its obvious rivals are both the HTC One V and One S, along with LG's new L-Style L7. It outperforms the One V and L7 in day-to-day use and bests all three with its far superior screen and camera.

However, the fact remains that the Xperia P is priced within striking distance of the One S. For around $100 more the One S delivers a tried-and-tested Ice Cream Sandwich experience as well as one of the best processors money can buy.

If you don’t require the One S’ power and the promise of an upcoming update is enough for you, there's very little that would stop me recommending the Xperia P. Sony just has to keep the price down and put Android 4.0 on it, fast.

7.3 Verge Score

Good Stuff
  • Rock-solid build
  • WhiteMagic display is a revelation
  • high-quality camera

Bad Stuff
  • Outdated Android 2.3 OS
  • Too much unwanted software
  • so-so gaming performance

I really like the design. Shame about the OS, though.

Anyone else have the att one x and able to connect it to a usb stick or adapter for extra storage?

Wait can you do this on phones?

I know its in the API for tablets...but I never thought about trying it on a phone...

It wouldn't be super useful...as I still tend to want my memory all on the phone without the need for extra anything sticking out of it...

I need to return this One X...

Need to install the the stock RUU...

I'm addicted to this screen...but the gs3 won't be so bad...somebody help push me off this ledge...I need all the other hardware features of the s3...I really do...should just install that ruu and return it today w/o thinking about it.

64+64gb
Bigger removble battery w/ s4 batt. Performance
Wolfson dac
It better have an unlocked bootloader lol

Help me GAF :(

FireCloud

Google to release 5 Nexus devices on November 5th to celebrate Android’s 5th birthday

Last week we reported that Google would offer five Nexus devices later this year and sell them directly out of the Play Store. Well, a reliable source just told us that we can expect to see them on November 5th. Why November 5th? It just so happens it’s Android’s 5th Birthday. Now you can clearly see why they plan on offering five devices.

Right now it’s a little unclear if they will actually be released or unveiled on November 5th. Last year the Galaxy Nexus was unveiled on October 18 (originally scheduled for October 11), and released overseas in mid November. The timing makes perfect sense so definitely mark your calendars for Monday, November 5, 2012 for a very big day indeed.

Jelly Bean is going to be amazing!

kehs

Banned
What is Jelly Bean even supposed to have?

I'm hoping windows management for bigger screens, and fleshed out content manager. Which might happen since they are getting in bed with Intel and we know Intel will keep chasing the laptop market.

kehs

Banned
I heard my carrier was going to send me some gingerbread cookies, but I never got them. =(

Should I renew again or add a hotspot?

Ever hear of something called "video"?

Have fun watching that on a 4:3 screen.

But there's no word on when or if the 64gig version will even come out....

you're right though...and that's what i was thinking as I was writing that post.

are the other factors enough to make me change the phone? probably should stick with the X

the only problem that really bothers me and that seems unchangeable is when i am in my car and i am charging my phone and have it plugged into the aux port.

this weird sound comes out of my speakers, basically forcing me to play some music or a podcast,

the sound stops whenever i am actually playing something or when i am not charging.

i could just "not do that" but i like to take my calls throught he aux port as well, voice plays back through the speakers and the mic picks up my voice well.

also thinking about getting the htc bluetooth receiver that plugs into the aux, but i'm not sure if i will be able to take calls while using that thing. not sure i would be able to have the phone still pick up my voice. should do some research as there are reviews starting to trickle out for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom