• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
you're right though...and that's what i was thinking as I was writing that post.

are the other factors enough to make me change the phone? probably should stick with the X

the only problem that really bothers me and that seems unchangeable is when i am in my car and i am charging my phone and have it plugged into the aux port.

this weird sound comes out of my speakers, basically forcing me to play some music or a podcast,

the sound stops whenever i am actually playing something or when i am not charging.

i could just "not do that" but i like to take my calls throught he aux port as well, voice plays back through the speakers and the mic picks up my voice well.

also thinking about getting the htc bluetooth receiver that plugs into the aux, but i'm not sure if i will be able to take calls while using that thing. not sure i would be able to have the phone still pick up my voice. should do some research as there are reviews starting to trickle out for it.

I want a white 64gig gs3 but no one knows when the thing will come out... Also the possibility of the 2gig ram on the LTE krait att version is pretty tempting too... So I can't decide if to wait or not.

Regarding that weird sound your having it does that to me too regardless of what phone, iPhone, gs2 and the gnex did that to me.

Also on the on the one x I recommend you to do the cleanRom mod and the removal of the 3 dot menu mod.
Mine is completely de branded and it's working awesome.

AndyD

aka andydumi
What reasons are there to use Swift key X instead of the SwiftKey 3 beta?

They both seem like the same thing

X is older, it is technically Swiftkey 2. The beta is for 3. It predicts better and the layout is better, in my experience.

jokkir

X is older, it is technically Swiftkey 2. The beta is for 3. It predicts better and the layout is better, in my experience.

Which layout/prediction is better? X or 3?

Also, Swiftkey X seems to have disappeared on my Play Market and says it's not compatible with my Nexus S anymore... what. I was able to install it before... that's odd.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
So if the U.S. Galaxy S III comes with a dual core...then what is the point for a GS2 Skyrocket owner like me?

So if the U.S. Galaxy S III comes with a dual core...then what is the point for a GS2 Skyrocket owner like me?

The GSIII is an evolution, not a revolution, over the GSII and Galaxy Nexus. If the spec bumps don't interest you, then there isn't any point. You're probably still under contract anyways so you should wait a bit before buying a new phone unless you enjoy paying $800 for it.

Seeing the GSIII only reaffirmed my decision to buy the Galaxy Nexus. If one of the "5 Nexuses" at the end of this year interests me, I might pick one up. If not, I'll hang on to my phone until my contract is up and then re-contract with Verizon.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The GSIII is an evolution, not a revolution, over the GSII and Galaxy Nexus. If the spec bumps don't interest you, then there isn't any point. You're probably still under contract anyways so you should wait a bit before buying a new phone unless you enjoy paying $800 for it.

Seeing the GSIII only reaffirmed my decision to buy the Galaxy Nexus. If one of the "5 Nexuses" at the end of this year interests me, I might pick one up. If not, I'll hang on to my phone until my contract is up and then re-contract with Verizon.

I can upgrade early without penalty. I had an iPhone 4, Galaxy S Captivate, Infuse 4G, GSII Skyrocket in the past...18 months?

Don't ask. :p

Husker86

Yea I believe the biggest usage of tablets is multimedia and its dumb on a 4:3 screen
Really? I've been using my iPad for Hulu a lot since I'm on vacation now (which I couldn't even do with my GT 10.1, so the screen ratio doesn't matter in that regard), but otherwise video isn't the majority of my usage. Even still, it's still very enjoyable when watching video.

Outsanity

Does anybody know what causes Microsoft exchangeActivesync email to stop syncing properly with its server? It seems that now whenever I read an email on my phone, it still remains unread when I access my emails from the laptop. It definitely didn't do this in the past and just seems to have started all of a sudden. I even did a factory reset last night to correct another issue but this problem still remains.

Anybody experienced this before?

Yea I believe the biggest usage of tablets is multimedia and its dumb on a 4:3 screen

I enjoy watching video on my 52" HDTV. On my Touchpad I mainly like read manga, and it just so happens that your typical printed page fits a 4:3 aspect screen just perfectly.

But since this is a gcubed post it's safe to assume I'm being trolled here and responding was a waste of my time.

I just used a friend's Xperia P. It is a very impressive device, such a shame that the 4.0.4 update won't come until the end of June. If Sony had got this out at the beginning of May with 4.0.3 pre-installed I think it would be the best selling Xperia released this year.

I think my sister is going to get it when her contract comes up for renewal in a couple of weeks as it is the perfect mid-sized phone for people with small hands who don't want an iPhone.

Honestly, for people who aren't bothered by waiting a month or less for the ICS update, the Xperia P is much, much better than the One S. I have used both (the One S extensively) and it isn't even a competition, IMO. The One S feels very cheap and is poorly made, the screen quality is poor at best (It might say AMOLED on the specs, but you wouldn't know it) and the camera is also not very good. The Xperia P will get Sony's new gallery and Walkman apps with the ICS update which look very cool and it has the added bonus of not being bogged down by shitty Sense. God how I have come to hate Sense on ICS.

If I were looking for a mid sized phone with a decent screen and decent power I would definitely put the Xperia P at the top of the pile probably followed by the venerable Galaxy S2. I have sent an email to the mobile editor at The Verge to ask them to re-review it once 4.0.4 is released for it, let's see if they do it. With 2.3.7 I think this phone is 7.5/10, with ICS of the like we have seen on the Xperia GX and SX I think it would be 9.5/10 with just the non-removable battery holding it back.

gcubed

I enjoy watching video on my 52" HDTV. On my Touchpad I mainly like read manga, and it just so happens that your typical printed page fits a 4:3 aspect screen just perfectly.

But since this is a gcubed post it's safe to assume I'm being trolled here and responding was a waste of my time.

... i don't know your habits, but video (again, i need to look it up to confirm but i remember reading the survey) was the main item of consumption on a tablet. If your main usage of a tablet is video 4:3 is a poor choice.

Reading manga would certainly be better on 4:3. So sure, they hit it out of the park for the 7 people who read manga. (if i was accused of trolling in the previous post, i felt the need to at least do it)

tino

Banned
... i don't know your habits, but video (again, i need to look it up to confirm but i remember reading the survey) was the main item of consumption on a tablet. If your main usage of a tablet is video 4:3 is a poor choice.

Reading manga would certainly be better on 4:3. So sure, they hit it out of the park for the 7 people who read manga. (if i was accused of trolling in the previous post, i felt the need to at least do it)

When I had my touchpad the only thing I could do with it was read comic. Not even manga, because online manga sites are optimized for keyboards.

To me 10" tablet is completely useless without a tranformer-type keyboard.

And I pity the foo who watch video on tablets. You can get a 50" Panasonic Pasmas screen for $600.

Angst

When I had my touchpad the only thing I could do with it was read comic. Not even manga, because online manga sites are optimized for keyboards.

And I pity the foo who watch video on tablets. You can get a 50" Panasonic Pasmas screen for $600.

All those fools watching videos on their tablet when on a flight, when a smart man would bring his 50" Panny plasma onboard.

gcubed

i dont think my public transit guys would like me dragging a plasma onto my train

i don't even know why i'm arguing, i dont even like tablets.

tino

Banned
All those fools watching videos on their tablet when on a flight, when a smart man would bring his 50" Panny plasma onboard.

I don't watch video on youtube. If I have alot of youtube video to watch (playthrough video etc), I download them thru firefox and watch them on my tv.

True story.

Doopliss

I'd prefer a widescreen tablet over my HP Touchpad. That said, it's been fantastic for watching The Wire, The Corner, Life on Earth, Cosmos, The Ascent of Man, The World at War, Batman: The Animated Series and Alan Partridge.

FireCloud

Just updated the Google+ app. Seems to fit the Google Play store design much more so than the old app. Guess this is the future for Google apps like it or not.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Which layout/prediction is better? X or 3?

Also, Swiftkey X seems to have disappeared on my Play Market and says it's not compatible with my Nexus S anymore... what. I was able to install it before... that's odd.

I think 3 is superior. The layout is better thought out, wider space bar, more color themes, and better prediction engine.

SimleuqiR

Google 7 incher incoming! Open wide!

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120523PD214.html

Google's 7-inch tablet PC, which the company co-developed with Asustek computer, is set to start shipping in June with initial shipments to reach about 600,000 units. The machine will be officially released in the market in July, according to sources from the upstream supply chain. However, Asustek has declined to comment.

Google originally planned to release its entry-level 7-inch tablet PC in May, but design and costs did not reach its expectations, and the product was delayed to July for some minor adjustments.

The 7-inch tablet PC is expected to achieve total shipments of 2-2.5 million units in 2012.

With Samsung Electronics, Asustek Computer and Acer are releasing new 7-inch tablet PCs, competition in the 7-inch tablet PC market is expected to turn fierce in the second half of 2012.

Husker86

Speaking of proper multimedia and tablets, why does the netflix app suck so hard?

It looks so horrible on a tablet.
That and lack of Hulu Plus is why I left my Galaxy Tab 10. Those are really the only reasons. Netflix app scrolled like shit if at all, it really is a POS.

Blackhead

Redarse
ButtonRemapper isn't working on my device. Any alternatives? I'd like to remap the volume buttons to dpad/scroll buttons

Edit: Made the changes manually. Boring. Changed back.

Blackhead

Redarse
Does anyone know why? Are companies just afraid to go head-to-head with the ipad?

Apple invested a couple billion a year or so ago to build the factories and ensure exclusive access to their new screens. The other manufacturers are still working on getting their tech to the production line.

Tom_Cody

Apple invested a couple billion a year or so ago to build the factories and ensure exclusive access to their new screens. The other manufacturers are still working on getting their tech to the production line.
Maybe you already answered my question, but Samsung is the manufacturer of the ipad screen. I guess they have a deal with Apple which disallows them from using their own screens?

SimleuqiR

Maybe you already answered my question, but Samsung is the manufacturer of the ipad screen. I guess they have a deal with Apple which disallows them from using their own screens?

The Samsung that makes components for Apple is not the same Samsung that makes Smartphones. They are separate sub companies from a huge umbrella.

Tom_Cody

The Samsung that makes components for Apple is not the same Samsung that makes Smartphones. They are separate sub companies from a huge umbrella.
Ok, that makes more sense. Still though, they are corporate cousins, right? It's not like Apple is making the screens themselves using propitiatory technology.

tino

Banned

Its not a particular interesting screen size or resolution. Anyone can use it if they really want to. I am sure Meizu will use this screen and resolution if they are in the tablet business.

Tom_Cody

Its not a particular interesting screen size or resolution. Anyone can use it if they really want to. I am sure Meizu will use this screen and resolution if they are in the tablet business.
To go back to my original question, is there an Android tablet on the market with comparable screen density?

To go back to my original question, is there an Android tablet on the market with comparable screen density?
No.

The ASUS Transformer Prime Infinity 700 XXX Ice Cream PadFone will have a 1920x1200 screen but who knows when that's coming out, it'll be pretty expensive as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom