• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Google I/O 2012 |OT| Your device will never get Jelly Bean. You jelly?

Google I/O 2012 |OT| It oozes and squirts

Google I/O 2012 |OT| thread of Gingerbread flavored Jelly Beans

Google I/O 2012 |OT| You Jelly?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Google I/O 2012 |OT|: 2012 thread of what you will get in 2014

tino

Banned
While we are on the subject of features you don't get until two years later.

Can somebody list all the "features" you get in Android 3 and 4?

I honest can't think of many features that's legitimate features.

Here are the ones I can think off:

* virtual keys (I personally don't consider it a positive feature, an interesting option maybe)

* interactive notification. Very few apps utilize it. But some music player implement music control in there, so its the biggest "plus" I know.

* New browser/Chrome. IMO they are not optimize for forum browsing. And I do 90% forum browsing everyday so they are minor pluses for me.

* power switch toggles on the notification bar. This was implement much earlier in OEM launchers. I had an Android 2.1 Galaxy Tab that had it. And ICS's implementation is still not the best. In MIUI, you can long press the switch and go to the setting.

* Better font, faster AOSP launcher, screenshot ability. I don't care or they were implemented much earlier by OEM. Combine drawer and widget. Again, not better than Sense of MIUI implementations. Cosmetic change at best.

* Better camera, keyboard and calendar. Again I don't use the google ones because they don't have enough features, plus I don't think you should count app improvement as part of OS upgrade. You can update the apps any time.

Really there is not alot of "features" you can put on a list besides the fact that ICS was heavily rewritten under the hood and run faster on slower hardware.

My point is I highly doubt google will announce any "must have" feature for 4.5 or 5.0.

zbeeb

While we are on the subject of features you don't get until two years later.

Can somebody list all the "features" you get in Android 3 and 4?

I honest can't think of many features that's legitimate features.

Here are the ones I can think off:

* virtual keys (I personally don't consider it a positive feature, an interesting option maybe)

* interactive notification. Very few apps utilize it. But some music player implement music control in there, so its the biggest "plus" I know.

* New browser/Chrome. IMO they are not optimize for forum browsing. And I do 90% forum browsing everyday so they are minor pluses for me.

* power switch toggles on the notification bar. This was implement much earlier in OEM launchers. I had a Android 2.1 Galaxy Tab that had it. And ICS's implementation is still not the best. In MIUI, you can long press the switch and go to the setting.

* Better font, faster AOSP launcher, screenshot. I don't care of was implement much earlier by OEM. Combine drawer and widget. Again, not better than Sense of MIUI implementation.

* Better camera, keyboard and calendar. Again I don't use the google ones because they don't have enough features, plus I don't think you should count app improvement as part of OS upgrade. You can update the app any time.

Really there is not alot of "features" you can put on the list besides the fact that ICS was heavily rewritten under the hood and run faster on slower hardware.

My point is I highly doubt google will announce any "must have" feature for 4.5 or 5.0.

I'd say some sort of user interface design/identity is a pretty big plus. ICS native apps look so so so much better than gingerbread it actually makes them better to use

tino

Banned
I'd say some sort of user interface design/identity is a pretty big plus. ICS native apps look so so so much better than gingerbread it actually makes them better to use

You have to give specific example here. I have no idea what you mean.

NEO0MJ

Couldn't comment on it because I was banned, but I got the HTC one X international a couple of weeks ago. Pretty nice phone and the screen is gorgeous.
Now I just have to deal with buyer's remorse due to all the recent GSIII hype :p

JonnyBrad

I agree that they should have the option for the settings toggles in the notifications bar. Either that or something like a swipe SBsettings. Plonking a settings button at the top of the notification bar is a bit of a cop out.

Samsung took the idea of the scrolling toggles in the GS3 right from XDA and it works well.

kehs

Banned
The developers blog has a list of all the major additions to the platforms.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-3.1.html

If you hit the highlights for each section you'll see the user facing enhancements.

The holo theme, is a combination of a couple of things btw. Aesthetically, it provides a light/dark good looking theme that every developer can count on it being there. In association with the theme, they introduced the fragments that allow apps to unify looks and function over different devices easily (TED Talk is a great example). The action bar is arguable part of the hole theme as well. It allows core functions of an app to reside in the same location for all apps. The split action bar, as seen in gmail, lets apps present more functionality at once.

The over all holo theme also removed all the faux gradients and faux objects from nearly every aspect of the OS, no more "fisher-price push me" buttons, instead they moved toward having everything being interactive, i.e. if you can see it you can mess with it.

----

OT: This post just reminded me, I totally forgot about the logo, I'll work on that this week. =X

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The developers blog has a list of all the major additions to the platforms.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-3.1.html

If you hit the highlights for each section you'll see the user facing enhancements.

The holo theme, is a combination of a couple of things btw. Aesthetically, it provides a light/dark good looking theme that every developer can count on it being there. In association with the theme, they introduced the fragments that allow apps to unify looks and function over different devices easily (TED Talk is a great example). The action bar is arguable part of the hole theme as well. It allows core functions of an app to reside in the same location for all apps. The split action bar, as seen in gmail, lets apps present more functionality at once.

The over all holo theme also removed all the faux gradients and faux objects from nearly every aspect of the OS, no more "fisher-price push me" buttons, instead they moved toward having everything being interactive, i.e. if you can see it you can mess with it.

----

OT: This post just reminded me, I totally forgot about the logo, I'll work on that this week. =X

What logo?

Question about Google Voice over wifi: Can I receive calls over wifi if I have no cell reception at my house? And if so, does the caller have to be a Google voice user or can anyone using anything (landline, cell, etc) call my number?

I'm thinking the answer is that they have to be a google voice caller only. I'm trying to be a skinflint and use a sprint network Virgin Mobile phone that works great just outside of my home. The rate plan is perfect (cheap) and I would mainly be using the service for mobile internet at work anyways.

Ashhong

Unless I am mistaken, u need to have service. Google voice just calls your real number when someone calls your gv. I think you need a separate app, of which there are a few good ones iirc, that allow actual calling over wifi

kehs

Banned
What logo?

original thinking asked for a little design help.

Question about Google Voice over wifi: Can I receive calls over wifi if I have no cell reception at my house? And if so, does the caller have to be a Google voice user or can anyone using anything (landline, cell, etc) call my number?

I'm thinking the answer is that they have to be a google voice caller only. I'm trying to be a skinflint and use a sprint network Virgin Mobile phone that works great just outside of my home. The rate plan is perfect (cheap) and I would mainly be using the service for mobile internet at work anyways.

Google voice doesn't actually do VOIP calls yet. Just voicemails and text messages. You'd have to set up a SIP and use another app/service to forward the calls through wifi. There's a couple of people here that have done it, hopefull they chime in.

----
ICS videos for the RAZR phones. Looks like they toned down their BLUR, alot. Pretty cool

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/05/2...-video-series-watch-them-all-here/#more-70678

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Plus, aesthetic shouldn't be the main reason to upgrade an OS.
That's nonsense. ICS is SO much more enjoyable to use than any previous iteration of Android. Everything looks so much nicer, things are easier to find, the OS actually has continuity. I love ICS.

You can do what you're trying to accomplish with GrooveIP: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gvoip&hl=en

you need a separate app if you want to send and receive Google Voice calls over wifi.

there are a few.

GrooVe IP

Talkatone

Spare Phone

original thinking asked for a little design help.

Google voice doesn't actually do VOIP calls yet. Just voicemails and text messages. You'd have to set up a SIP and use another app/service to forward the calls through wifi. There's a couple of people here that have done it, hopefull they chime in.

----
ICS videos for the RAZR phones. Looks like they toned down their BLUR, alot. Pretty cool

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/05/2...-video-series-watch-them-all-here/#more-70678

Looking forward to it. Been to busy enjoying the sun to do any work myself!

jokkir

I'm going to start making mock up UI's for the Twitter app I want to make. What features would you want to see? I mainly want a functional and fast app so keep that in mind :p

Bboy AJ

I'm going to start making mock up UI's for the Twitter app I want to make. What features would you want to see? I mainly want a functional and fast app so keep that in mind :p

If that's your criteria, why not just use Boid?

I basically want Tweetbot on Android, with more features.

Blackhead

Redarse

I'd pay good money for an android twitter app like t4bp (twitter for busy people) or reportage.

Whatever type of app you decide to make, the number one thing I consider first in an app are the types of actionable elements in the tweet. If the tweet contains a hash tag, url, twitter user name etc I want the ability to tap on that element right there while browsing through the timeline. Some apps make the user jump through a couple of hoops and I don't care for those (except reportage :/).

One feature rarely seen in twitter apps is a showcase for the user's wallpaper on twitter. When the website was one of the main interfaces for using twitter many people took up the option of changing their wallpaper and adding personality to their page. It's less common now but I never did find a way to view the wallpaper in an app, including twitter's official apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom