• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

I sure hope the Tegra 3 is away better than 2.
My Transformer after the ICS update seems to chung at any little wireless activity.
If I'm updating multiples apps from Google Play and try to navigate to say Chrome - chungs. Boot up time takes forever. Even inserting my pin code, there is a delay. After you see the home screen, the launcher seems to lag (both with stock and Nova).

I'm going to blame ASUS' coding of ICS, because I have zero hiccups on my Tuna.
They might have squashed some bugs, but performance wise the tablet ran faster on Honeycomb.

I want to move to a Nexus tablet so that I can get the same butter smooth experience I have on my Tuna.

i live 7" better then 10", the tegra 2 had some amazing limitations in mp4 decoding, and apps werent there.

Apps still arent there but at $199 enough are there... but i dunno. I'm picking up an Asus Zenbook Prime once they release so the tablet isn't really needed... maybe i'll save it for when GoogleTV gets taken out of the trash heap

kehs

Banned
I sure hope the Tegra 3 is away better than 2.
My Transformer after the ICS update seems to chung at any little wireless activity.
If I'm updating multiples apps from Google Play and try to navigate to say Chrome - chungs. Boot up time takes forever. Even inserting my pin code, there is a delay. After you see the home screen, the launcher seems to lag (both with stock and Nova).

I'm going to blame ASUS' coding of ICS, because I have zero hiccups on my Tuna.
They might have squashed some bugs, but performance wise the tablet ran faster on Honeycomb.

I want to move to a Nexus tablet so that I can get the same butter smooth experience I have on my Tuna.

You know, I have the opposite thing happening. My GN feels a bit sluggish from time to time for code unlock/launcher/etc, but the TF is running around just heavenly.

Downloading apps in the background have chugged all of my devices though, GN included.

---

You all need to jump on this kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/484889112/the-pocket-tv-makes-any-tv-a-smart-tv

Pocket TV with ICS and the Play Store.

Pctx

Banned
I'm just worried about my tablets getting updates. Usually in phone land, a android update can take months to be released while the new phones have it preinstalled. TF301 got an update a couple of weeks ago that added face unlock but no update to 4.0.4. Iconia got an update last week and didn't add face unlock..just screen fixes.

As others stated, ASUS is very aware of their Android ecosystem and actually care. Ever since the 4.0.3 update + face unlock has fixed my random reboots and stability issues. I'm glad that ASUS is caring about their flagship product a year ago when it seems like other OEM's are kicking their old stuff to the curb and focusing development costs on new tech which is more worrisome to me.

Futureman

Will GPS still work on my Droid X when Verizon deactivates it when I get a new phone?

I'm planning on using my X as my workout device when I upgrade in a few months. Load it up with music and hopefully still be able to use Endomondo w/ GPS to track my runs.

PaulLFC

I'm having a strange problem with my Galaxy S2 on ICS. It's been working fine for a couple of weeks since I updated, but all of a sudden this morning, it's stopped loading websites over mobile data.

Wifi works fine, but if I'm on data, whatever site I try to go to (even Google), it'll attempt to load the page for a few seconds then get a server error (504 Gateway Timeout).

The really strange thing is, anything that requires internet access but not a web browser works fine over data - Twitter app, Facebook app, Gmail... they all work without problems. But when I try and use a browser, I get 504 errors. I've tried Chrome, the stock Browser and Boat Browser so far - all the same error.

Has anyone had this before and managed to fix it? I've tried restarting the phone, toggling data on and off, switching between Wifi and Data, and force closing and re-opening the browser - but no luck yet.

TeegsD

Anyone out there using car chargers for their phones have any recommendations. i have an Epic 4G but I think most android phones have the same charger nowadays

freshair

Anyone out there using car chargers for their phones have any recommendations. i have an Epic 4G but I think most android phones have the same charger nowadays

I use this one

41iq4RRv2IL._AA300_.jpg

61lMChkCIUL._AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002WH3QLE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's cheap and low profile, so it sits flush.

Mostly positive reviews and it's been working fine for me for over a year.

gcubed

I use a moto one from Amazon.. it was like $5. I wanted one that was hardwired and put out full power and not USB connection power.

quaere

Will GPS still work on my Droid X when Verizon deactivates it when I get a new phone?

I'm planning on using my X as my workout device when I upgrade in a few months. Load it up with music and hopefully still be able to use Endomondo w/ GPS to track my runs.
Yeah it will.

reKon

Banned
Yeah it will.

I did not know this, lol. I actually figured this out last night when I was messaging around with my old htc incredible.

I don't know if Google Navigation will work though...

You think there's a good chance that they pack a GPS into that cheap Nexus tablet that's coming?

quaere

I did not know this, lol. I actually figured this out last night when I was messaging around with my old htc incredible.

I don't know if Google Navigation will work though...

You think there's a good chance that they pack a GPS into that cheap Nexus tablet that's coming?
Google Navigation won't unless you're on wifi. There are apps on the store you can get to have maps and turn by turn working offline though.
is it possible it won't be as accurate though? Don't phones use cell towers for triangulation for a more accurate location?
Cell towers are for quicker lock times. You won't notice worse accuracy unless you're in a dense urban environment or something which really hurts the GPS signal.

Up until today I had been extremely pleased with my One X. That was until I tried to stream some music via Bluetooth to some soundbars at work and was shocked at how poorly it fared there. Constant hiccups thru playback and that was when the damn thing actually did connect.

Now I'm thinking of returning the phone, reactivating my iPhone (with cracked screen lol) and just waiting out til my ATT contract ends Sept/Oct and jumping over to Sprint. At that time I will just grab the Evo 4g LTE or whatever else is their best Android phone.

Up until today I had been extremely pleased with my One X. That was until I tried to stream some music via Bluetooth to some soundbars at work and was shocked at how poorly it fared there. Constant hiccups thru playback and that was when the damn thing actually did connect.

Now I'm thinking of returning the phone, reactivating my iPhone (with cracked screen lol) and just waiting out til my ATT contract ends Sept/Oct and jumping over to Sprint. At that time I will just grab the Evo 4g LTE or whatever else is their best Android phone.

I plan on returning on Saturday.. I unlocked the bootloader but hopefully they won't check the boot menu. Also hopefully they don't notice root access lol.

Toki767

Erm...you don't like the One X but you want to get the Evo 4G LTE? I hate to break it to you but they're the exact same phone.

Ocho

I'm considering getting a note. I have an s2 but I really want to use that enormous screen. I sold my iPad and the note seems to fit my needs exactly.

I know the s3 is better and smoother, but the note would be cheaper in my country, already available, and that size so good.

What do you guys think?

Ashhong

Connections are all the same, but there are some that provide very little power to your phone, similar to a PC.

I use a moto one from Amazon.. it was like $5. I wanted one that was hardwired and put out full power and not USB connection power.

Link to this one? I have had 2 monoprice ones and they both failed on me within a year. Terrible build quality and just open in half. Plus they didn't provide full power.

rozay

Banned
Connections are all the same, but there are some that provide very little power to your phone, similar to a PC.

Link to this one? I have had 2 monoprice ones and they both failed on me within a year. Terrible build quality and just open in half. Plus they didn't provide full power.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000S5Q9CA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

make sure Amazon.com is the seller, or you might get a fake. they aren't that good looking but the cable itself is good quality and the current output is 950 mA which will let you use navigation and not have battery drain.

Ashhong

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000S5Q9CA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

make sure Amazon.com is the seller, or you might get a fake. they aren't that good looking but the cable itself is good quality and the current output is 950 mA which will let you use navigation and not have battery drain.

aw, would prefer to have one with a separate cable so that i can use the cable in emergencies when at someone else's house or something. will think about it, thanks

RuGalz

I bought something like this and thinking it was going to fail really quickly. Still going strong after a year... Keeping my fingers crossed. I don't plug my phone into the 2.1A port afraid it's gonna charge 'too quickly'. I only use it for my TomTom... but the 1A port is pretty well powered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Dual-...ccessories&hash=item1c2797b9cd#ht_3051wt_1270

gcubed

aw, would prefer to have one with a separate cable so that i can use the cable in emergencies when at someone else's house or something. will think about it, thanks

yeah i didnt want the separate cable because you dont get full power out of it unless you break out a soldering gun. The USB power out of the separate cable chargers can't keep up with GPS usage, so in my car it was useless

kinggroin

Banned
yeah i didnt want the separate cable because you dont get full power out of it unless you break out a soldering gun. The USB power out of the separate cable chargers can't keep up with GPS usage, so in my car it was useless

My current rom for the GN has fast charge via USB. How does that work exactly (it does in fact, just not sure how from the phone side).

Circle T

I'm considering getting a note. I have an s2 but I really want to use that enormous screen. I sold my iPad and the note seems to fit my needs exactly.

I know the s3 is better and smoother, but the note would be cheaper in my country, already available, and that size so good.

What do you guys think?

You will find very few detractors to the Note around these parts. Quite a few AndroidGAF users, myself included, own one. Yes, it is a tad large, but the extra screen real estate is very welcome in every day usability. And to be honest, I wouldn't worry about how much faster the GSIII is. The Note, regardless of chipset, is a very quick and smooth phone.

I must have installed at least 30 different ROM's on my Gs2. :/ And that's not including the updates either.

It looks like I'm going top be sticking to SLIM ICS though. 3 days battery life is godly.

ep85

What do you guys think?

If you have no apprehensions about the size (IMO the only negative), go for it. Its a solid device and should be comparable with day to day activities to the GS3.

FireCloud

Yeah it will.

I understand how the GPS it self will still work, but I don't know how it would be of much use without a data connection. Maps has to pull down map info over the network (unless you've cached some amount of it) But outside of that very limited area, it wouldn't be of much use.

Is there some other application that has persistent map data that you will be using with your disconnected Droid X?

Ashhong

Huh, I have exclusively used the separate cable car chargers and have gotten 1A out of some of them before without soldering anything. There are also plenty of reviews of some saying it works. They just broke on me.

gcubed

Huh, I have exclusively used the separate cable car chargers and have gotten 1A out of some of them before without soldering anything. There are also plenty of reviews of some saying it works. They just broke on me.

if you take the time, you should be able to find them, the 2 pins come connected in the connector, its just much more hit and miss on finding one.

My current rom for the GN has fast charge via USB. How does that work exactly (it does in fact, just not sure how from the phone side).

I think all the pin soldering does is signal to the phone to draw more power, i would assume a ROM could just tell the phone to pull the power no matter what

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom