• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

Doing something like what RIM did with the playbook is messy. Only way I see a hybrid dual boot device is if its x86, where secure boot can be disabled.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Well, after going back and forth about whether to replace my LTE Galaxy Nexus with a Note or a GSM Nexus, I went Nexus. The $370 deal was a good one, I prefer stock ICS, no on screen buttons, future proof.

I may get the Note 2, if it exists later.

McLovin

Man I've had it with my evo 3d. The random crashes when I first got it should have been enough warning. First the battery gets fried, get it replaced and then about a month ago the phone starts to randomly shut off and reboot. Resetting the phone fixed it for a few hours. Doing a factory reset fixed it for 2 days. Then it turns out it was the battery again and thats why it was rebooting. Got it replaced and now a week later the screen starts bugging out. Sometimes the screen wont respond, sometimes just the bottom part wont respond, sometimes it will go in on its own and select apps, make calls and it wont let me end them. Oh and turning the phone on its side instantly kills 4g. Sometimes it cant decide between 4g or wifi, so its solution is to give my nothing... I FUCKING HATE THIS PHONE >.<!!!
Anyone have a suggestion on a powerful android phone that doesn't cost a crazy amount? I'm still under contract and yes I do have insurance but I can't deal with this thing anymore. They have screens that work well outside now right? I couldn't use my phone outside since it was too hard to make out anything. Halp :(

zatara

Man I've had it with my evo 3d. The random crashes when I first got it should have been enough warning. First the battery gets fried, get it replaced and then about a month ago the phone starts to randomly shut off and reboot. Resetting the phone fixed it for a few hours. Doing a factory reset fixed it for 2 days. Then it turns out it was the battery again and thats why it was rebooting. Got it replaced and now a week later the screen starts bugging out. Sometimes the screen wont respond, sometimes just the bottom part wont respond, sometimes it will go in on its own and select apps, make calls and it wont let me end them. Oh and turning the phone on its side instantly kills 4g. Sometimes it cant decide between 4g or wifi, so its solution is to give my nothing... I FUCKING HATE THIS PHONE >.<!!!
Anyone have a suggestion on a powerful android phone that doesn't cost a crazy amount? I'm still under contract and yes I do have insurance but I can't deal with this thing anymore. They have screens that work well outside now right? I couldn't use my phone outside since it was too hard to make out anything. Halp :(

Have you tried contacting Sprint about them giving you a different phone due to all the issues you've had with the Evo 3D? It may sound absurd to do, but depending on how persistent you are and the person you get you may be successful. I was able to do this with my HTC Rezound, after a few refurbs that were junk they gave me a Razr instead. Also if you are a long standing customer use that to your advantage.

McLovin

Have you tried contacting Sprint about them giving you a different phone due to all the issues you've had with the Evo 3D? It may sound absurd to do, but depending on how persistent you are and the person you get you may be successful. I was able to do this with my HTC Rezound, after a few refurbs that were junk they gave me a Razr instead. Also if you are a long standing customer use that to your advantage.
I've been with them since like 2000. I guess it couldn't hurt to try.

Ecto311

I've been with them since like 2000. I guess it couldn't hurt to try.

I work customer care for a big phone company and if you push buttons over and over it will help. If you have good history over the years since you started service it helps too. Good history and if you threaten to cancel they will do something. We have a special dept just for people who want to cancel. They get all kinds of crazy shit if they are a good enough customer.

SimleuqiR

Googlers get the best stuff

droidberg3.jpg

Actual Droidberg.

tino

Banned
Just got an International Galaxy Note (Exynos), Chrome scrolls less smooth than default browser on official ICS 4.0.3. Is this normal? I even turn on the force hardware acceleration switch.

P.S. this hardware is perfect. People hasn't given enough credit to the lightness of the Note. I have found my soulmate!

Doopliss

Just got an International Galaxy Note (Exynos), Chrome scrolls less smooth than default browser on official ICS 4.0.3. Is this normal? I even turn on the force hardware acceleration switch.

P.S. this hardware is perfect. People hasn't given enough credit to the lightness of the Note. I have found my soulmate!
The stock browser is better on my SGS2 and HP Touchpad (both running CM9). The only people I've heard saying Chrome is smoother are those with a GNexus.

kinggroin

Banned
Which one are you talking about?

I still miss my MIUI browser. Hopefully MIUi team will make an official Galaxy Note port soon.

Chrome scrolling. At least initially. After a page has been scrolled through, it'll be smooth with every subsequent scroll.

Lkr

Sprint user here. Currently running a Palm Pixi. It is still functional as a phone, but I'm ready to ditch it ASAP. Looking at the Nexus right now, but not quite sure what to get. The HTC EVO 4G LTE drops tomorrow for the same price it seems. Of course, Nexus has stock ICS. Are there any games that Nexus can't run(for example GTA III is limited in supported devices)? Just looking for the phone that gives the best bang for buck. One of my friends has the Nexus S, which is now old, but runs stock ICS through an update, and it seems to run better than some of the newer devices with their bogged down OS imo

Sprint user here. Currently running a Palm Pixi. It is still functional as a phone, but I'm ready to ditch it ASAP. Looking at the Nexus right now, but not quite sure what to get. The HTC EVO 4G LTE drops tomorrow for the same price it seems. Of course, Nexus has stock ICS. Are there any games that Nexus can't run(for example GTA III is limited in supported devices)? Just looking for the phone that gives the best bang for buck. One of my friends has the Nexus S, which is now old, but runs stock ICS through an update, and it seems to run better than some of the newer devices with their bogged down OS imo

wait for GS3

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife

coin flip really

LTE has the better camera
Nexus gets updated faster

rozay

Banned
coin flip really

LTE has the better camera
Nexus gets updated faster
I don't think it's fair to list this as a pro for carrier branded nexus phones, because it took months for them to release the 4.0 update for their nexus S compared to the sold by google GSM version. Strong dev community is more important IMO, and the EVO LTE will likely have a large one. Not sure what the state of the sprint galaxy nexus community is right now

Both phones run GTA III, I don't think it's exactly a taxing game for android phones.

gcubed

I don't think it's fair to list this as a pro for carrier branded nexus phones, because it took months for them to release the 4.0 update for their nexus S compared to the sold by google GSM version. Strong dev community is more important IMO, and the EVO LTE will likely have a large one. Not sure what the state of the sprint galaxy nexus community is right now

Both phones run GTA III, I don't think it's exactly a taxing game for android phones.

still updated faster then any other phone on that carrier....

Peace Tea

Is there any way of getting PlayerPro to STOP assigning the same artwork to 80% of my songs? Really liking the 4x2 widget and don't want to use Poweramp's.

Will GPS still work on my Droid X when Verizon deactivates it when I get a new phone?

I'm planning on using my X as my workout device when I upgrade in a few months. Load it up with music and hopefully still be able to use Endomondo w/ GPS to track my runs.
some phones have a harder time than others getting an initial lock and keeping a signal when they are in pure GPS mode instead of A-GPS mode.

I did not know this, lol. I actually figured this out last night when I was messaging around with my old htc incredible.

I don't know if Google Navigation will work though...

You think there's a good chance that they pack a GPS into that cheap Nexus tablet that's coming?
hopefully it has one. and there are map apps that work without data connections, you just have to preload maps.

NomarTyme

Getting the E4GLTE on Monday. I'll tell ya then.

quaere

Need help with a friend's Evo Shift.

It charges through AC, it charges through USB. But it refuses to charge at all through any kind of car adapter - we've tried three of them, including one on Amazon specifically sold as an Evo Shift charger, with multiple feedback comments explicitly saying, "this charger charges my Evo Shift". Also will not charge through an external USB battery pack I have.

Could this be some kind of hardware problem?

Effect

Thinking of getting a new phone. Was considering the following.

AT&T Fusion Prepaid Android GoPhone - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007BDP0DQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Has anyone heard anything about this phone? Good? Bad? So so?

Honestly I don't think I need anymore. I'm around computers and wifi all day and have been using a Nokia E63 for few years now apart of a family plan. Want to get my own at this point. I have my own digital camera and HD video camera that I take out with me if I need them. So them being a big feature of a phone isn't that important to me and I'm rarely in a position where I need them on a phone. I don't talk a lot on the phone anyway which is why I'm going for a gophone and their $25 plan if I get it. The wifi and the data I do pay for should be enough for email, some web browsing like gaf, and twitter (rarely touch my facebook account). Trying to work on a budget when it comes to this.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Need help with a friend's Evo Shift.

It charges through AC, it charges through USB. But it refuses to charge at all through any kind of car adapter - we've tried three of them, including one on Amazon specifically sold as an Evo Shift charger, with multiple feedback comments explicitly saying, "this charger charges my Evo Shift". Also will not charge through an external USB battery pack I have.

Could this be some kind of hardware problem?

Probably...it may have something to do with the USB port

quaere

Thinking of getting a new phone. Was considering the following.

AT&T Fusion Prepaid Android GoPhone - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007BDP0DQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Has anyone heard anything about this phone? Good? Bad? So so?

Honestly I don't think I need anymore. I'm around computers and wifi all day and have been using a Nokia E63 for few years now apart of a family plan. Want to get my own at this point. I have my own digital camera and HD video camera that I take out with me if I need them. So them being a big feature of a phone isn't that important to me and I'm rarely in a position where I need them on a phone. I don't talk a lot on the phone anyway which is why I'm going for a gophone and their $25 plan if I get it. The wifi and the data I do pay for should be enough for email, some web browsing like gaf, and twitter (rarely touch my facebook account). Trying to work on a budget when it comes to this.
You are aware their $25 offering includes no data right?

If you actually want to use your phone as a smartphone under no circumstances should you be using AT&T GoPhone, it's just a bad deal.

Your best options are going to be -

$30/month, T-mobile, 100 minutes
$35/month, Virgin (Sprint), 300 minutes
$40/month, Simple Mobile (T-mobile), unlimited minutes

All three have unlimited data.

For devices, go for the Optimus Elite on Virgin ($130 new) or a Samsung Vibrant on T-mobile ($160 used). Both are over twice as fast as the device you linked.

Effect

You are aware their $25 offering includes no data right?

If you actually want to use your phone as a smartphone under no circumstances should you be using AT&T GoPhone, it's just a bad deal.

Your best options are going to be -

$30/month, T-mobile, 100 minutes
$35/month, Virgin (Sprint), 300 minutes
$40/month, Simple Mobile (T-mobile), unlimited minutes

All three have unlimited data.

For devices, go for the Optimus Elite on Virgin ($130 new) or a Samsung Vibrant on T-mobile ($160 used). Both are over twice as fast as the device you linked.

Thanks. I knew the data would be extra on top of the $25. I thought of ATT first because they provide the best service in my area. I'll take a look into the others. Especially if I'll be paying around the same price for the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom