• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
I first read "Google is buying MeeGo". It didn't made any sense.

make perfect sense.

7193511994_5fe6a31fcf_c.jpg

not impressed. LG is doing 1080p LCD, which is WAAAAAY better than AMOLED!!!

Samsung needs to get the power draw of high-resolution SAMOLED down. Unlike LCD, the power draw of SAMOLED scales with number of pixels, and right now even SAMOLED 720p HD with PenTile (33% fewer subpixels) is absolute murder on batteries smaller than the one in Galaxy Note.

rozay

Banned
Samsung needs to get the power draw of high-resolution SAMOLED down. Unlike LCD, the power draw of SAMOLED scales with number of pixels, and right now even SAMOLED 720p HD with PenTile (33% fewer subpixels) is absolute murder on batteries smaller than the one in Galaxy Note.
it also doesn't help that both touchwiz and stock ICS use a lot of whites and other bright colors in their themes, especially compared to previous versions of android. they were smart to put such a huge battery in the GS3.

Rickard

So I found an android phone on the ground the other day. It's locked so I can't call anyone on the contact list. I've kept it charge and no one has called it.

I've decided to keep it. Never had a smartphone before. How do I go about making it my own?

I'm in Canada and It's a samsung galaxy.

tino

Banned
^^^^^^^

Here is the instruction I got from google
If that doesn't work, or if your phone is frozen:

Turn the power off. If your Samsung Galaxy S is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
Hold the Volume Down button
Press and release the Power button
You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
Press and release the Power button
Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO
If you selected YES, all data including third-party applications will be deleted from the Samsung Galaxy S. Once the wipe is complete, the phone will reboot to its factory fresh state.

isn't that a themed version of MIUI?

Yes.

So I found an android phone on the ground the other day. It's locked so I can't call anyone on the contact list. I've kept it charge and no one has called it.

I've decided to keep it. Never had a smartphone before. How do I go about making it my own?

I'm in Canada and It's a samsung galaxy.

have you waited at least a week?

does it say the model number under the battery or something?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I bought a Note and am canceling the Nexus :)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7089/7341499742_9ccdef73b9.jpg[/ig][/QUOTE]
Thank you, dood. It was mostly the decision of trying something different and not keeping the phone for too long if something I like better pops up.

Any recommendations for batteries? I'd like an extended one. I'll be using it a lot during my travels.

Has anyone tried the AOKP ROM?

Cipherr

Lol yeah right. 720p is going to be the standard for at least a year.

Note is higher than 720p already, and by October when this is rumored, 720p phones will have already had the market for a year. Im pretty sure the Rezound hit around October 2011. It will be time.

kehs

Banned
So that LG 1080p display can only manage 70% color gamut(of 1998 I assume).

The only thing this screen is good for is tamagotchi displays.

tino

Banned
Thank you, dood. It was mostly the decision of trying something different and not keeping the phone for too long if something I like better pops up.

Any recommendations for batteries? I'd like an extended one. I'll be using it a lot during my travels.

Has anyone tried the AOKP ROM?

Xda people said the 3250mah battery (same size) does have longer battery life than the OEM battery. I ordered that over ebay. I will let you know.

IMO the added weight will change the ergonomic too much, so I rather carry extra regular battery.

I am running the official Samsung 4.0.3 (HK) rom. It's a little bit jenky. Sometimes when I press home it doesn't respond. I have to press it again. I don't know which rom I want to try next yet. I want something that has build-in power toggle.

Bboy AJ

Xda people said the 3250mah battery (same size) does have longer battery life than the OEM battery. I ordered that over ebay. I will let you know.

IMO the added weight will change the ergonomic too much, so I rather carry extra regular battery.
I went ahead and bought an Anker one, standard size but 2700. I had good experience with that brand with my Sensation. I also bought a dock that charges two batteries at once.

Anyone want to buy my LTE Galaxy Nexus with the spare extended battery? It's like new in box. Unlocked bootloader. PM me with an offer.

The AOKP ROM for the Note seems to be getting good feedback on xda. Perfect timing.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
So that LG 1080p display can only manage 70% color gamut(of 1998 I assume).

The only thing this screen is good for is tamagotchi displays.
If that's of Adobe RGB (which I'm a little skeptical of) then it's right in line with about full sRGB coverage, right?. I'm not seeing a problem.

At any rate, I'm a little more interested in Sharps new displays including a 6.1" 2560x1600 display. That's 498ppi.

I love the people here who think it's cool to hate on the Galaxy Nexus now. You're like the people who hated on Titanic and Avatar, you might think you're cooler than everyone else but James Cameron is the one with the billion dollar-grossing movies. Haters gonna hate.

thespot84

I love the people here who think it's cool to hate on the Galaxy Nexus now. You're like the people who hated on Titanic and Avatar, you might think you're cooler than everyone else but James Cameron is the one with the billion dollar-grossing movies. Haters gonna hate.

I'm planning on my tuna lasting me another 2 years and liking every minute of it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
G'Nex is awesome. Haters gonna hate. Go back to Windows Phone if you hate pure Android so much.

reKon

Banned
Yeah, I'd rather not have to deal switching phones every 2 months (not taking shots here, just being honest). I'll say though that if the Galaxy S III looked better than the Nexus, I'd definitely try hard sell the Nexus and pick up the Galaxy S III somehow because of the improved battery life, extremely good camera, and hopefully better radio (which has GSM packed and this could be important for me).

I really want to see this and the One X in person to get an idea of if they are truly that much nicer than the Nexus I have (which has been awesome because I'm actually getting good battery life out of it and the pictures have been decent along with the radio. AOKP has made this easily best galaxy championnnnnn).

I'll probably just wait and see and perhaps when the 5 Nexus devices come in November they will similar spec wise to Galaxy S III and that will be good enough for me as long as the radio, camera, and battery are up to par.

By the way, if there will be 5 Nexus devices, is it safe to say that none of them will probably be on Verizon?

kehs

Banned
Isn't that higher than the iPhone 4 and 4S?

If that's of Adobe RGB (which I'm a little skeptical of) then it's right in line with about full sRGB coverage, right?. I'm not seeing a problem.

At any rate, I'm a little more interested in Sharps new displays including a 6.1" 2560x1600 display. That's 498ppi.

If 30% subpixels isn't acceptable, 30% less gamut shouldn't get a free pass either.

That screen is insane, jeez.

Ephemeris

After being stuck today in LA with no idea how to get home, I'm buying an extra battery for my S3. Like day one purchase. Thank goodness for charging stations and fast food joints with easily accessible outlets

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
After being stuck today in LA with no idea how to get home, I'm buying an extra battery for my S3. Like day one purchase. Thank goodness for charging stations and fast food joints with easily accessible outlets

I really do love progress.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I see on the news feeds this morning that Google has bought Quick Office.
Wonder what their plans for it are now?

Ephemeris

I really do love progress.
In my G2's defense, I used Google Navigation on the bus. First time ever and it showed me every stop on the list and when I was getting close, and even told me when to get off at the next stop.

That hour ride 1) wasn't cheap on the battery and 2) was amazing. I've only ever used it in the car and had no idea it went that far in public transit.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
In my G2's defense, I used Google Navigation on the bus. First time ever and it showed me every stop on the list and when I was getting close, and even told me when to get off at the next stop.

That hour ride 1) wasn't cheap on the battery and 2) was amazing. I've only ever used it in the car and had no idea it went that far in public transit.

Its very helpful. It even gives up to date estimations on bus arrivals.

Bboy AJ

I'm planning on my tuna lasting me another 2 years and liking every minute of it.
Who is hating on the GN? I would have been perfectly content to keep mine but because I need a new GSM phone, I figured I may as well try something different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom