• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asus PadFone review:

Wrap-up
Better than I expected, not as good as I hoped

After spending time with the Padfone, I believe more than ever that it's the future. Maybe not the Padfone specifically, but at least its concept: your phone as the hub of all your data, files, and apps, and pieces available to you for your particular needs. If you're mobile, just bring the phone. Need to answer a lot of emails? Drop it into the dock and type away. Want to watch a movie? Connect the Padfone Station and enjoy a much larger, more shareable screen. Android 4.0 is much more able to handle this kind of use than any previous version, and the Padfone's internals are largely up to the task as well.

The Padfone nails the idea, but misses on the execution to the point where it feels more like a tech demo than a viable product. There are enough performance issues and app interface problems that I began to avoid using the PadFone as a tablet, and even the phone itself has some underwhelming specs for a supposedly high-end device. I want badly to be able to ditch my laptop, set up a dock at work and a tablet at home, and just carry my phone everywhere knowing I can get done whatever needs doing. The PadFone hints that we're not far from that day, but proves conclusively that it's not here yet.

6.8 Verge Score

Good Stuff

• Fantastic modular design concept
  • Great performance in phone mode
  • Lots of useful accessories
  • Incredible battery life

Bad Stuff

• Tablet performance is lacking
  • Unremarkable displays
  • Ecosystem quickly gets heavy and cumbersome
http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/6/3064317/asus-padfone-review

kehs

Banned
Ive been reading/watching overviews for the padfone for a good while now, and this is literally the first one that mentions a drop in performance when it's in tablet mode. He seemed to be tying it with the dynamic display issues.

Zeppu

I kinda like this, if it's super cheap.

bMDTMl.jpg

http://clamcase.com/clambook-android-and-iphone-laptop-dock.html

Circle T

That looks pretty cool, but it's on mhl, which is kinda lame since it'll just be blown up phone layouts instead of showing the larger screen layouts.

-----

Also
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6157483/Google-Nexus-tablet-Asus.jpg

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Alle...us-tablet-emerge-to-sport-Android-4.1_id30947

Looks eerily similar to a Galaxy Note from the front. I'm going to err on the side of skepticism and call fake.

*Edit* - Seems a few of the replies to that post think the same.

Zeppu

Hmmmm, there is something very familiar about the design of their website. Can't quite put my finger on where I've seen it before now.... ;)

Yep, that's what I thought too.

I have no idea why Google has not invested in something like this.
They could always keep Chrome OS for their Google Apps business market.
Just make Android your everyday-OS.

Maybe when they start creating their own hardware? Don't forget Motorala had the Atrix, which is basically the same thing as this.

Cipherr

I didnt know they are apparently about to launch offline navigation and 3d Mapping for Google Maps/Drive. I don't care much about the 3D, but a robust offline mode is pretty much the one thing they were lacking. That is fantastic news.

kehs

Banned
I have no idea why Google has not invested in something like this.
They could always keep Chrome OS for their Google Apps business market.
Just make Android your everyday-OS.

It's bizarre, they already have the foundation for it in the OS (dock support), they have two companies Moto/Asus already pushing products that provide a gimped experience. I can only hope that Jellybean will fleshout the contextual hardware usage and provide APIs for it because I don't expect developers to support Asus's Dynamic Display thing at all =/.

They need to release a GN dock that turns it into a GoogleTV.

I love the people here who think it's cool to hate on the Galaxy Nexus now. You're like the people who hated on Titanic and Avatar, you might think you're cooler than everyone else but James Cameron is the one with the billion dollar-grossing movies. Haters gonna hate.

No one is hating on the GNex because they think it's cool. Many of us highly anticipated this phone and came away disappointed because of it's subpar hardware and numerous issues (You may not have issues but many others have and Verizon have been recommending users exchange their GNex for a Razr because they are tired of trying to resolve issues). It gets criticized more because it was suppose to be the ultimate android phone. And no the GNex is not Titanic or Avatar. The iPhone is Titanic or Avatar. The GNex is like John Carter and can be had on amazon for a penny.

reKon

Banned
No one is hating on the GNex because they think it's cool. Many of us highly anticipated this phone and came away disappointed because of it's subpar hardware and numerous issues (You may not have issues but many others have and Verizon have been recommending users exchange their GNex for a Razr because they are tired of trying to resolve issues). It gets criticized more because it was suppose to be the ultimate android phone. And no the GNex is not Titanic or Avatar. The iPhone is Titanic or Avatar. The GNex is like John Carter and can be had on amazon for a penny.

And someday the Galaxy S III will be had for a penny on Amazon just like many other android phones have.

using a phone being a penny on Amazon after 6 months (for a limited time) as some slight on a device is quite stupid.

I never used it as a slight on the phone. Just contrasting it to the iPhone which would never sell for a penny 6 months down the line. I know most android phones at one point or another go on sale for cheap. He compared hating on the GNex as similar to hating on a blockbuster hit making millions of dollars. The Nexus line has never been a big popular money maker.

gcubed

I never used it as a slight on the phone. Just contrasting it to the iPhone which would never sell for a penny 6 months down the line. I know most android phones at one point or another go on sale for cheap. He compared hating on the GNex as similar to hating on a blockbuster hit making millions of dollars. The Nexus line has never been a big popular money maker.

i read your post wrong then. Never been a big popular money maker, but each release has grown in popularity.

Hopefully have a full lineup of Nexus phones pushes them to their rightful place above the ugly as sin carcasses of shitty skins

i read your post wrong then. Never been a big popular money maker, but each release has grown in popularity.

Hopefully have a full lineup of Nexus phones pushes them to their rightful place above the ugly as sin carcasses of shitty skins

I'm with you there. Looking forward to getting a Nexus phone of my choice end of this year.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
In my G2's defense, I used Google Navigation on the bus. First time ever and it showed me every stop on the list and when I was getting close, and even told me when to get off at the next stop.

That hour ride 1) wasn't cheap on the battery and 2) was amazing. I've only ever used it in the car and had no idea it went that far in public transit.

No no, I meant progress in that there's outlets freely available at restaurants and such. :p At least they understand our smartphones' battery woes. :(

SimleuqiR

FireCloud

All I see are facts.

GS3 has a removable battery - One X: Removable battery requires a separate battery charger ...

GS3 has SD card slot - One X: ... + 25GB Dropbox ...

Really, if they are facts they are surely misleading. Buyer beware

GS3 has a removable battery - One X: Using removable battery requires phone to be turned off.

That is not a fact.

Talon

GS3 has a removable battery - One X: Removable battery requires a separate battery charger ...

GS3 has SD card slot - One X: ... + 25GB Dropbox ...

Really, if they are facts they are surely misleading. Buyer beware
I'm being facetious - per usual.

The screen quality statement is totally valid. The Dropbox argument is hilarious, but I don't see why this is news. HTC needs to keep that comms department busy.

FireCloud

I'm being facetious - per usual.

The screen quality statement is totally valid. The Dropbox argument is hilarious, but I don't see why this is news. HTC needs to keep that comms department busy.

Sorry, I am not accustomed to your posting style. Thought you were somehow serious.

reKon

Banned
GS III is one word... disappointing. I actually agree with them about the design part though. Maybe I'll feel better about it when I actually see it in person

onex-vs-gs32.jpeg

kehs

Banned
GS III is one word... disappointing.

onex-vs-gs32.jpeg

Oh man, that's awesome.

Holy shit, the disclaimer in the bottom! roofles.

-----

The PocketTV is fully funded on kickstarter btw. After seeing the demo video I'm a little turned off, looks like they are identifying the device as a tablet/computer with mouse and keyboard instead of a TV. This makes the input kinda wonky. =/ If Vizio launches their Googletv I'll probably jump ship.

Toki767

Foursquare on Android is now ICS compliant. They even made it so that the menu button doesn't do anything for phones with a menu button. I hope more well known apps like Facebook and Twitter do this as well.

GS III is one word... disappointing. I actually agree with them about the design part though. Maybe I'll feel better about it when I actually see it in person

http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/onex-vs-gs32.jpeg

holy fuck!

BETTER SPEED/FASTER (lol BENCHMARKS, lol NVIDIA)
BETTER AUDIO: BEATS AUDIO
99 SHOT BURST! (wait, Samsung has 20 as an artificial limit)
POLYCARBONATE: PLASTIC (WOOOOOOOW, that's a straight up lie!)

Foursquare on Android is now ICS compliant. They even made it so that the menu button doesn't do anything for phones with a menu button. I hope more well known apps like Facebook and Twitter do this as well.

so it's actually *NOT* ICS compliant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom