• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

zbeeb

While he makes a fair point, does anyone actually feel there's a serious deficiency of quality apps available for android?

There may not be as many as iOS, but I'm more than happy with the selection available. I would hazard a guess that the only area lacking now is high production games (infinity blade, etc)

tino

Banned

DarkFlow

Banned
While he makes a fair point, does anyone actually feel there's a serious deficiency of quality apps available for android?

There may not be as many as iOS, but I'm more than happy with the selection available. I would hazard a guess that the only area lacking now is high production games (infinity blade, etc)
I do when it comes to games. Android is really lagging in that area. Other then say GTA 3, I can't think of any mind blowing games as far as graphics go. As for the rest of the apps android wins just for sheer variety. I have apps for kernels on rooted phones, widget apps to add clocks, a app the only makes my speaker louder, benchmark tests. You won't find that stuff on iOS ever.

giga

Qualcomm is first out the door with an SoC based on ARM Cortex-A15 but the real A15 SoCs later this year will kill them in performance. Then we'll all go back to being Qualcomm'd like in the good old days of 2011.
Qualcomm has no access whatsoever to the A15 core. The S4 isnt based on it at all.

giga

Qualcomm's designs are never straight implementations of A8/A9/A15. The Krait (S4) is comparable to A15 in terms of instruction set.
Then don't say they are "based" on any specific core. The ARMv7 instruction set is in the A8, A9, A15, S3, S4, and so on. It doesn't mean they're in any way based on the same core.

Then don't say they are "based" on any specific core. The ARMv7 instruction set is in the A8, A9, A15, S3, S4, and so on. It doesn't mean they're in any way based on the same core.

From this point forward, I expect every mention you make of an Intel or AMD CPU to be "a specific implemention of the x86 and x86-64 instruction sets" instead of "x86-based.".

I also expect every mention you make of any Intel, Nvidia, or AMD GPU to be "a specific implementation of hardware and software which can process instructions from the Direct3D and OpenGL hardware-abstraction layers" instead of "supports Direct3D and OpenGL".

No?

Then fuck off. Everyone simplifies descriptions of Qualcomm's SoCs this way.

giga

From this point forward, I expect every mention you make of an Intel or AMD CPU to be "a specific implemention of the x86 and x86-64 instruction sets" instead of "x86-based.".

I also expect every mention you make of any Intel, Nvidia, or AMD GPU to be "a specific implementation of hardware and software which can process instructions from the Direct3D and OpenGL hardware-abstraction layers" instead of "supports Direct3D and OpenGL".

No?

What? Does anyone say Bulldozer is based on the Ivy Bridge core and vice versa? No. That's basically what you're doing by saying the S4 is based on the A15. They both use the ARMv7 architecture, like Bulldozer and Ivy Bridge are both x86-64.

Everyone? [citation needed] If it's inaccurate and misleading, why do it?

quaere

Back when the Cortex A8 was cutting edge, a lot of sites did mistakenly refer to the original Snapdragon as an A8.

Luckily that went away as most writers got a clue and I haven't seen it for at least a year. Because it's wrong.

tino

Banned

Also, I don't know why she started telling me to fuck off. I was just correcting her. Didn't mean to be rude if that's how I came off.

You think its a she? really?

Anyway I haven't see any comparison between different implementation of ARM. Plus they are on different wafer technology, and Qualcomm has a monopoly on LTE until 2013. So it doesn't matter either way.

giga

You think its a she? really?

Anyway I haven't see any comparison between different implementation of ARM. Plus they are on different wafer technology, and Qualcomm has a monopoly on LTE until 2013. So it doesn't matter either way.

image.php
?

kehs

Banned
Dunking Donuts? lol

Also, getting qualcommed was a righteous insult during the SG2 debacle. Exynos to snapdragon lols.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
logitech revue got updated to 3.2 this morning!

haven't messed with chrome yet, but it's suppose to support live streaming for html 5 now.

best news is that mkv files now play without crashing.

i haven't tested play music yet but it was magically updated in the background earlier. the market still says the latest version of music was 3 months ago. couldn't use it all previously because the album art would take up all of the internal storage space -_-

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I've needed to buy another Revue for a while, but now isn't the best time for me. :/ Might just say eff it since it's only $99 at some places (needs to be the MSRP though.)

Danj

Weird meltdown, although I agree that people on this board are weirdly anti-Qualcomm.

I think people are bitter because US Samsung phones get gimped Qualcomm chips when their European equivalents have the proper Exynos chips. Or something.

rozay

Banned

No?

Who pissed in your cereal?

gcubed

Gigas right, if "everyone" is saying that then everyone is wrong.

Either way its the best performance to power ratio chip available and with android gaming being non existent the poor gpu selection doesn't matter. Qualcomm is usually leader out of the gate then behind for a year or two until their next architecture change.

Faceless Master is right though... at this point next year Intel is going to be laughing at everyone.

tino

Banned
Gigas right, if "everyone" is saying that then everyone is wrong.

Either way its the best performance to power ratio chip available and with android gaming being non existent the poor gpu selection doesn't matter. Qualcomm is usually leader out of the gate then behind for a year or two until their next architecture change.

Faceless Master is right though... at this point next year Intel is going to be laughing at everyone.

But who has the best performance per Amp? That's what I want to know.

quaere

Project Denver should also show up during the A15/Krait time frame. Marvell will do a new core too. We'll see how the A15 does when it's not the last one out this generation.

kehs

Banned
logitech revue got updated to 3.2 this morning!

haven't messed with chrome yet, but it's suppose to support live streaming for html 5 now.

best news is that mkv files now play without crashing.

i haven't tested play music yet but it was magically updated in the background earlier. the market still says the latest version of music was 3 months ago. couldn't use it all previously because the album art would take up all of the internal storage space -_-

Nothing here yet =/

Does it fix the TV and movies app always needing to refresh before looking at the listings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom