• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

rozay

Banned
http://www.talkandroid.com/115787-lamborghini-unveils-luxury-android-phone-and-tablet/

Lamborghini-TL700-Luxury-Android-420x297.jpg

Why?

Why x2!!
this is taking the menu button hate to a new extreme, they just removed it from the device completely

I don't understand why every app hasn't implemented a scroll to the top button like in Dolphin browser. Why can't Apple share with all OS's the tap top bar to scroll to top?

No WiFi issues with my 4GLTE either, though the Bluetooth problem from the One X remains. Hope HTC fixes this but it seems the group of ppl that care about BT is relatively small these days.

I thought the major issue with Samsung phones historically were their poor radios.

i know there was an issue with the GS1 having poor GPS drivers...

My sister just got the P and it's awesome, I can't see why the U will be any different, it's the same phone with a slightly smaller screen and resolution.

I posted earlier in the thread with impressions of the P:

"I just used a friend's Xperia P. It is a very impressive device, such a shame that the 4.0.4 update won't come until the end of June. If Sony had got this out at the beginning of May with 4.0.3 pre-installed I think it would be the best selling Xperia released this year.

I think my sister is going to get it when her contract comes up for renewal in a couple of weeks as it is the perfect mid-sized phone for people with small hands who don't want an iPhone.

Honestly, for people who aren't bothered by waiting a month or less for the ICS update, the Xperia P is much, much better than the One S. I have used both (the One S extensively) and it isn't even a competition, IMO. The One S feels very cheap and is poorly made, the screen quality is poor at best (It might say AMOLED on the specs, but you wouldn't know it) and the camera is also not very good. The Xperia P will get Sony's new gallery and Walkman apps with the ICS update which look very cool and it has the added bonus of not being bogged down by shitty Sense. God how I have come to hate Sense on ICS.

If I were looking for a mid sized phone with a decent screen and decent power I would definitely put the Xperia P at the top of the pile probably followed by the venerable Galaxy S2. I have sent an email to the mobile editor at The Verge to ask them to re-review it once 4.0.4 is released for it, let's see if they do it. With 2.3.7 I think this phone is 7.5/10, with ICS of the like we have seen on the Xperia GX and SX I think it would be 9.5/10 with just the non-removable battery holding it back."

Just replace P with U and One S with One V.

Thanks for the write-up. I might even get the Xperia P. The higher res display, better camera and more internal storage might be worth it. I wish the Verge would finally review the U.

I see that we lost Coco again.

oh SNAP!! One X got an unofficial AOKP!!

pure ICS!!! NO SENSE!! its glorious!!

Does AOKP make the battery removable and add a microSD card slot too?

How's your WiFi performance? Do you need to squeeze your phone firmly between your fingers to improve WiFi reception? Instead of the Grip of Death, the HTC One X has the Grip of Life!

How's your WiFi performance? Do you need to squeeze your phone firmly between your fingers to improve WiFi reception? Instead of the Grip of Death, the HTC One X has the Grip of Life!

Nope. But it has the same memory as the gnex(mines GSM). And has better battery life than the gnex.

One x is actually usable as a phone. I can actually make calls and send text! Unlike the gnex with its luckster radio.( I've tried more than 1 unit)

No wifi issue for me also.

So far its better than the gnex.

Have you used the one x? ...I doubt it

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
That Lamborghini phone looks like something from Supergirl. Horrible.

And +1 for the new Xperia line. Still loving my S - great phone.

zedge

Nope. But it has the same memory as the gnex(mines GSM). And has better battery life than the gnex.

One x is actually usable as a phone. I can actually make calls and send text! Unlike the gnex with its luckster radio.( I've tried more than 1 unit)

No wifi issue for me also.

So far its better than the gnex.

Have you used the one x? ...I doubt it
None of those issues with my gnex. Weird.

Achtius

I was planning to get the HTC One X, but I read online that there are hardware issue with the wifi. Do you know whether they fixed the problems with the newer phones?

Patriots7

Is there anyway to respond to group messages in stock 4.0.2?
It's annoying that all of my friends have iPhones and group message our friend circle and I only get individual responses (and can only respond to one person)

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
It's annoying that all of my friends have iPhones and group message our friend circle and I only get individual responses (and can only respond to one person)

I think Whatsapp can do that.

Husker86

Yes, but you need GoSMS. Really sad that Android doesn't have this out of the box.

zedge

Does iOS Maps have interior flooring plans?

They didnt show any, I doubt it.

Also.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...-to-the-galaxy-s-ii-tonight-at-11pm-via-kies/

heh..

http://www.droiddog.com/android-blog/2012/06/googles-innovations-at-wwdc-2012/

No turn by turn nav for iphone 4... Even low end shit Android phones have google navigation.

http://pocketnow.com/2012/06/11/ios...ps-flyover-nor-turn-by-turn-nav-for-iphone-4/

Funny, they call this stuff fragmentation in Android land. But Apple gets a free pass on this shit.

tino

Banned
So, how do people feel about the Huawei Ascend P1s? Looking for a phone for the girlfriend.

I think it need to drop to the Nexus Galaxy price level and its a good buy. It's basically a Galaxy Nexus with a worse screen but thinner body and SD card slot.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I think it need to drop to the Nexus Galaxy price level and its a good buy. It's basically a Galaxy Nexus with a worse screen but thinner body and SD card slot.

Thanks. I don't think she cares that much about the screen. She just wants one that isn't boring looking and this is the only one I can find that isn't black/grey/white. Will wait for price announcements.

EDIT: This year has been especially annoying with companies announcing phones and tablets without a release date for months and months.

rozay

Banned

it doesn't, but unlike the cdma nexus at least it doesn't have a cellular radio that goes batshit insane in low-signal areas and it doesn't have a microphone that cuts out halfway through calls!

it doesn't, but unlike the cdma nexus at least it doesn't have a cellular radio that goes batshit insane in low-signal areas and it doesn't have a microphone that cuts out halfway through calls!

Strangely enough, I live in areas where the signal is often marginal and I've never had any problems making or receiving calls.

reKon

Banned
I should never be able to make/take calls from my apartment or even in the basement of the library at my school, but some how I've been able to most of the time where I get an absolutely terrible signal. This is with the 4.0.4 radios of course...

Also, usually both ends are clear for when making phones calls. I guess I just got an extremely nice first batch cause I got this phone the day it came out and performance wise, its been great so far. The inefficient radio definitely takes a toll on my battery life though..

I should never be able to make/take calls from my apartment or even in the basement of the library at my school, but some how I've been able to most of the time where I get an absolutely terrible signal. This is with the 4.0.4 radios of course...

Also, usually both ends are clear for when making phones calls. I guess I just got an extremely nice first batch cause I got this phone the day it came out and performance wise, its been great so far. The inefficient radio definitely takes a toll on my battery life though..

Why such low expectations? If your GNex can get reception there, I guarantee you there are other phones out there that have even better reception. Not hating on the phone, just based on my own experience. The GNex has some strong points but reception/radio is not one of them. It is serviceable at best and one of the main reasons I gave up on the phone. (Battery and sound quality being the other 2).

reKon

Banned
Why such low expectations? If your GNex can get reception there, I guarantee you there are other phones out there that have even better reception. Not hating on the phone, just based on my own experience. The GNex has some strong points but reception/radio is not one of them. It is serviceable at best and one of the main reasons I gave up on the phone. (Battery and sound quality being the other 2).

I'm surprised that the G Nex hasn't had any issues for me in terms of making and taking calls and in the basement of the library my friend's 4s hasn't been able to take calls in the same area that I was in... (we're both Verizon). For her it barely got service at the spot we were at. Maybe it was the location I of where I was that day, I don't know.

Good battery for me has been 20 hours with 3.5 hours of on screen time with half brightness. I looked up what people were getting on the One X and the times were pretty much the same... I know that a lot of people have been getting 4.5 hours but with 12-13 hours of screen time. I know I could do the same but I never need to look at my phone that much anyways. Usually I last 24-26 hours with around 2+ hours of looking at the screen. To be fair though I use a dark background.

Sound quality, I'm not sure you mean? If you're talking about the speakers they suck in terms of volume when playing media. Speaker volume and clarity has been decent for me when I put the phone on speaker. For listening to music via Google Music the sound quality has been great. That was one of the first really nice things I realized about the phone apart from its screen.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
4.0.3?

You guys are 0.0.1 behind! :p

Still, very very excited ICS is being pushed to more handsets. Makes me happy as a developer.

I'm surprised that the G Nex hasn't had any issues for me in terms of making and taking calls and in the basement of the library my friend's 4s hasn't been able to take calls in the same area that I was in... (we're both Verizon). For her it barely got service at the spot we were at. Maybe it was the location I of where I was that day, I don't know.

Good battery for me has been 20 hours with 3.5 hours of on screen time with half brightness. I looked up what people were getting on the One X and the times were pretty much the same... I know that a lot of people have been getting 4.5 hours but with 12-13 hours of screen time. I know I could do the same but I never need to look at my phone that much anyways. Usually I last 24-26 hours with around 2+ hours of looking at the screen. To be fair though I use a dark background.

Sound quality, I'm not sure you mean? If you're talking about the speakers they suck in terms of volume when playing media. Speaker volume and clarity has been decent for me when I put the phone on speaker. For listening to music via Google Music the sound quality has been great. That was one of the first really nice things I realized about the phone apart from its screen.

The 4s improved a lot on the antenna debacle of the 4, but it's still not known for great reception. I think the 3GS gets better reception. I've had good experience with HTC and especially Moto phones for reception.

The GNex battery is good for standby but sucks when you actually use it especially when pulling data (heavy web browsing). Just look at the battery benchmark comparisons. It's always in the bottom half and sometimes dead last.

Yeah I meant the speaker volume when talking about sound quality.

rozay

Banned
Strangely enough, I live in areas where the signal is often marginal and I've never had any problems making or receiving calls.
At a concert my friend had really poor reception and it seemed to cause the phone to go haywire, the battery drained pretty fast and the phone itself got hot enough that he noticed it in his pocket. Haven't had that happen to any other of verizon's LTE phones, which is weird because it uses the exact same antennas as the Droid Charge and two friends with those never had that issue.

Not sure why it's so hard for Google to track down that microphone issue, but there are always little bugs on the nexus phones that end up being severe like the 2.3 update doubling idle battery drain on the nexus one. So far with my GSM galaxy nexus it's been smooth sailing though

wasn't there an article about how the LTE Galaxy Nexus has a fine signal, but the way the signal strength is calculated changed, so it has 'less bars' but actually work just as well?

So, how do people feel about the Huawei Ascend P1s? Looking for a phone for the girlfriend.

If she is open to using Verizon or (AT&T?) I would wait for Moto's Razr HD (Atrix 3?). Forget the One X or Galaxy S3.

It's going to have the Maxx's battery but with an efficient S4 which means even more insane battery life.

Moto's ICS is almost stock and if you install Apex or Nova on it, you won't be able to tell the difference. I've been running the Moto ICS 4.04 leak on my Maxx and it's smooth as butter and battery is even better (especially standby). I honestly think the Razr HD will be able to go 1 week with minimal use.

Couple that with Moto's build quality, 720p screen, 13 MP camera (assuming better sensor), and top notch antenna/radio tech and I think it's the phone to beat.

wasn't there an article about how the LTE Galaxy Nexus has a fine signal, but the way the signal strength is calculated changed, so it has 'less bars' but actually work just as well?

That was just another one of the GNex's numerous problems. I don't think you would hear people complaining and returning their phones if all they saw were less bars.

rc213

4.0.3?

You guys are 0.0.1 behind! :p

Still, very very excited ICS is being pushed to more handsets. Makes me happy as a developer.

Its pretty sweet, Just need opinions on launchers and must have ICS only apps.
Only reason I want a launcher replacement is because touch wiz folders are butt ugly.

So Apex or Nova or ?

snacknuts

we all knew her
I thought this was a nice article from Gizmodo comparing ICS to iOS6 (not a review, just a feature comparison). I really do like the Passbook feature that Apple is introducing.

My only gripe with the write-up is where they say "Android doesn't have an answer to Do Not Disturb mode." If you use Google Voice, you've been able to enable a DND mode for a couple years.

The One S continues to get shittier and shittier. HTC have announced that Asian and European markets are going to receive an MSM8260 (Scorpion) version rather than the MSM8260A (Krait). So, Pentile and Scorpion. No wonder HTC are struggling, if they keep releasing shitty phones with shitty Sense I could easily see them going under and getting bought by a smaller (Chinese) competitor looking for easy entry into US markets.

kehs

Banned
Stop me if you're heard thing one.

Tim Cook walks into a conference, makes fun of ICS, and then introduces Gingerbread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom