• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimleuqiR

Stop me if you're heard thing one.

Tim Cook walks into a conference, makes fun of ICS, and then introduces Gingerbread.

1331065860926.gif

Toki767

The silliest thing about Apple's constant jab at Android's fragmentation is that iPhone/iPod/iPad has fragmentation too. Just cause 80% or whatever of all iOS devices are on iOS 5 doesn't mean all of them have all the features iOS 5 gives. For all intents and purposes I'd equate it to Apple just changing the number of the OS from 4 to 5 on some of the older devices just to say that they're on a new OS since they certainly aren't bringing in the new features.

Is the Sony Arc S worth it at £175/$272 without contract?

Yes. It's still a pretty good phone, and at that price you are unlikely to get anything other than a Sensation in the same kind of range, and I would not recommend the Sensation after Sense 3.6, it is shitty and slow. Everything takes an age to complete and swipes are no longer smooth. I have heard that ICS on the Arc S does not use the latest Linux Kernel, but I don't know whether this affects performance greatly or if Sony have committed to updating to the newer Kernel once they have completed the updates to the 2012 line of Android phones.

If you want a mid-range phone you should also look at the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 and the Sony Xperia P/Sola. Don't get the One V. It is a pile of horseshit.

kehs

Banned
Very little chance of that. I think JBQ(could have bee Morill) mentioned that they moved away from Qualcomm because they were hard to work with in regards to getting binaries for AOSP.

Same reason why the camera's on the NS/GN were inferior to the Galaxy models.

I also take offense to your commentary gcube, it took nearly 24 hours to fine tune that jab.

gcubed

Tegra 3 no?

there was a rumor that they werent happy with the tegra3 or some other thing, dunno, but i doubt it would be a last minute change

Very little chance of that. I think JBQ(could have bee Morill) mentioned that they moved away from Qualcomm because they were hard to work with in regards to getting binaries for AOSP.

Same reason why the camera's on the NS/GN were inferior to the Galaxy models.

that sucks, didnt know they had the issues with AOSP.

there was a rumor that they werent happy with the tegra3 or some other thing, dunno, but i doubt it would be a last minute change

Not sure, I doubt they will go with TI again after the fail that was GN, and Qualcomm are out of the picture because of restrictive practices. Samsung are barely producing enough Exynos parts for their own phones which to me means Tegra is the only viable platform for a mass device. The only other platform that makes sense is ST-E U9540, but I don't know if it could be produced in enough quantity to be used as a reference Android tablet.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
If she is open to using Verizon or (AT&T?) I would wait for Moto's Razr HD (Atrix 3?). Forget the One X or Galaxy S3.

It's going to have the Maxx's battery but with an efficient S4 which means even more insane battery life.

Moto's ICS is almost stock and if you install Apex or Nova on it, you won't be able to tell the difference. I've been running the Moto ICS 4.04 leak on my Maxx and it's smooth as butter and battery is even better (especially standby). I honestly think the Razr HD will be able to go 1 week with minimal use.

Couple that with Moto's build quality, 720p screen, 13 MP camera (assuming better sensor), and top notch antenna/radio tech and I think it's the phone to beat.

Ah, we're in Canada so I'll have to check to see if the Atrix is coming any time soon. Though I'm not sure it's a good fit for her, she seems to really want an attractive phone and was annoyed by every single model being white/black/grey. I ran into the same problem when I was building her a custom computer, heh.

kehs

Banned
I put some monies into this kickstarter.

Infinitec Pocket TV Hands On:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1Tn5PJg_IU

Hope we see more devices like this down the road.

Have you been following the comments on the kickstarter page? I'm a little taken aback that there appears to be people already selling these same devices for cheaper, even with the market included and all(that was my biggest draw to this).

They didn't really address it, so I'm not sure how to feel about it at this point. If they manage to upgrade it to 1 gig of memory then I guess they really are having their own version built. Otherwise I'll probably just drop out and get one off here:

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-g...ex-A9-Processor-Media-Center-wholesalers.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-f...se-Wireless-Keyboard-with-IR-wholesalers.html

SimleuqiR

Have you been following the comments on the kickstarter page? I'm a little taken aback that there appears to be people already selling these same devices for cheaper, even with the market included and all(that was my biggest draw to this).

They didn't really address it, so I'm not sure how to feel about it at this point. If they manage to upgrade it to 1 gig of memory then I guess they really are having their own version built. Otherwise I'll probably just drop out and get one off here:

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs...olesalers.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm...olesalers.html

Huh? Wow... I think they might just be getting this from an OEM and maybe just customizing it a bit. Pretty disappointing.

rozay

Banned
Its rather endearing no? ;)
it's a good sign of limited mental capacity from the person who says it imo
The One S continues to get shittier and shittier. HTC have announced that Asian and European markets are going to receive an MSM8260 (Scorpion) version rather than the MSM8260A (Krait). So, Pentile and Scorpion. No wonder HTC are struggling, if they keep releasing shitty phones with shitty Sense I could easily see them going under and getting bought by a smaller (Chinese) competitor looking for easy entry into US markets.
What do you expect, every american phone this year is likely using the S4 because of at&t and verizon's required radio testing for LTE devices. They likely had to make a choice and decided it would be best to neuter the lower end phone.
Stop me if you're heard thing one.

Tim Cook walks into a conference, makes fun of ICS, and then introduces Gingerbread.
you should do standup

I thought this was a nice article from Gizmodo comparing ICS to iOS6 (not a review, just a feature comparison). I really do like the Passbook feature that Apple is introducing.

My only gripe with the write-up is where they say "Android doesn't have an answer to Do Not Disturb mode." If you use Google Voice, you've been able to enable a DND mode for a couple years.
it's too hard to keep track of Android features with all these fragmentation...

Are we talking about Nokia now?

/rimshot

lol

What do you expect, every american phone this year is likely using the S4 because of at&t and verizon's required radio testing for LTE devices. They likely had to make a choice and decided it would be best to neuter the lower end phone.

They should call it something else and not pretend that it's the same phone. The One S with Krait is passable, with Scorpion it will run like utter shit as Sense is very heavy duty. HTC are pulling a bait and switch by announcing the phone with one specification and then changing it for another one while keeping the same name and branding.

rozay

Banned
They should call it something else and not pretend that it's the same phone. The One S with Krait is passable, with Scorpion it will run like utter shit as Sense is very heavy duty. HTC are pulling a bait and switch by announcing the phone with one specification and then changing it for another one while keeping the same name and branding.
I thought the verge said they were changing the branding? If not, that's really fucked up

edit: holy hell are these verizon shared data plans bad

I thought the verge said they were changing the branding? If not, that's really fucked up

They didn't when they changed the Desire screen from AMOLED to S-LCD...

"As with many high-demand HTC devices, we always work with our supply chain partners to source models which will allow us to meet customer demand as quickly as possible. In cases where more than one part is used, we ensure the same high bar of quality in the part to provide an equal user experience."

From HTC. Doesn't look like the change between Krait and Scorpion will bring a change of branding, it will "provide an equal user experience" after all. Which is bullshit.

HTC turned into such a shitty company over the last couple of years. I can't wait to get away from them and get a Sony or Samsung.

I just want to put my hand in here and say I've found the One S a brilliant phone, more than capable and haven't felt Sense slowing it down (though I've already ranted multiple times on pointless UI choices that I won't repeat).

That says, changing internals like that as a sneaky little thing, that's not on and is bad form.

rozay

Banned
They didn't when they changed the Desire screen from AMOLED to S-LCD...

"As with many high-demand HTC devices, we always work with our supply chain partners to source models which will allow us to meet customer demand as quickly as possible. In cases where more than one part is used, we ensure the same high bar of quality in the part to provide an equal user experience."

From HTC. Doesn't look like the change between Krait and Scorpion will bring a change of branding, it will "provide an equal user experience" after all. Which is bullshit.

HTC turned into such a shitty company over the last couple of years. I can't wait to get away from them and get a Sony or Samsung.
I believe samsung did the exact same thing though-nexus S, galaxy S and S2 with SLCD instead of SAMOLED in other countries, different processors. It's really nothing new unfortunately :/

RuGalz

Wow the share everything plan is such ass. I currently have unlimited data. Are they forcing everyone who upgrade their device to go to new plan by June 28th? If so it sounds like I have to upgrade now...

rozay

Banned
Wow the share everything plan is such ass. I currently have unlimited data. Are they forcing everyone who upgrade their device to go to new plan by June 28th? If so it sounds like I have to upgrade now...
What phone are you trying to get? If you have an upgrade available and you want to keep unlimited data, you absolutely should upgrade now and if you want the S3 or another phone that comes out later, sell the phone you get from your upgrade since you'll have to pay full price for the phone regardless after the 28th

RuGalz

What phone are you trying to get? If you have an upgrade available and you want to keep unlimited data, you absolutely should upgrade now and if you want the S3 or another phone that comes out later, sell the phone you get from your upgrade since you'll have to pay full price for the phone regardless after the 28th

Sigh, I was thinking of the S3... Hmm this blows. Maybe I should look into Sprint or something.

Edit: wow even Sprint's family plan is more expensive than what I have now on VZ because you are forced to choose more minutes in order to have data. Right now I have the most basic 700 shared minutes with added $5 text plan, 1 smartphone and 1 regular phone. This is really annoying...

kehs

Banned
DearGgoogle, please allow me to go to my calendar and clock applications by pressing the date and time in the notification area.

Thank you.

---

Got my GoogleTV update...feels the same, heh.

rozay

Banned
Sigh, I was thinking of the S3... Hmm this blows. Maybe I should look into Sprint or something.

Edit: wow even Sprint's family plan is more expensive than what I have now on VZ because you are forced to choose more minutes in order to have data. Right now I have the most basic 700 shared minutes with added $5 text plan, 1 smartphone and 1 regular phone. This is really annoying...
Get a razr maxx with your upgrade, sell it via craigslist when the GS3 becomes available and use that money to purchase a GS3 from another craigslister or verizon directly. It's definitely a hassle but it's doable if that's the phone you want.

zedge

it's a good sign of limited mental capacity from the person who says it imo

you should do standup
I can take as well as I give. I am basically an sTard.

tokkun

Not sure, I doubt they will go with TI again after the fail that was GN, and Qualcomm are out of the picture because of restrictive practices. Samsung are barely producing enough Exynos parts for their own phones which to me means Tegra is the only viable platform for a mass device. The only other platform that makes sense is ST-E U9540, but I don't know if it could be produced in enough quantity to be used as a reference Android tablet.

Intel not even worthy of speculation?

kehs

Banned
Hmm...an intel tablet. That would be interesting. Would definitely help support for moving Android to netbooks/hybrids.

gcubed

droid razr maxx outsells iphone on Verizon? World melting!

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtrader...iam-blair-unfazed-as-iphone-slips-at-verizon/

Since Apple’s iPhone launch in North America, we believe this was the first quarter where the iPhone was not the best‐selling smartphone at a North American mobile operator (where it was available). While Apple continued to maintain its top position at AT&T and Sprint, Motorola’s Droid RAZR MAXX was the best‐ selling smartphone at Verizon. Our checks also indicate that at this stage consumers are not pausing in front of the iPhone launch as it is not influencing their purchasing decisions (but we expect it to start impacting over the next couple of months). Despite the “increased competitive landscape from 4G devices (and the iPhone 4S is not 4G),” Doradia is “not worried” as the next iPhone model, a true 4G phone, “will be an important catalyst for the company,” he believes.

RJM77

Hopefully it isn't a tegra 3. The transformer prime proved to me that Asus and tegra3 is a bad combination. It can have all the cores in the world but even the rumored $150 isn't worth the sloppy performance.

If she is open to using Verizon or (AT&T?) I would wait for Moto's Razr HD (Atrix 3?). Forget the One X or Galaxy S3.

It's going to have the Maxx's battery but with an efficient S4 which means even more insane battery life.

Moto's ICS is almost stock and if you install Apex or Nova on it, you won't be able to tell the difference. I've been running the Moto ICS 4.04 leak on my Maxx and it's smooth as butter and battery is even better (especially standby). I honestly think the Razr HD will be able to go 1 week with minimal use.

Couple that with Moto's build quality, 720p screen, 13 MP camera (assuming better sensor), and top notch antenna/radio tech and I think it's the phone to beat.

That was just another one of the GNex's numerous problems. I don't think you would hear people complaining and returning their phones if all they saw were less bars.

WOW...that RAZR HD MAxx will be a beast. It will on my must have list...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom