• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimleuqiR

The future king of phones?

razr-hd2.jpg

That's not an iPhone.

Oh hey Coco's back again. <3

Galaxy Nexus in 3rd surprising as well.

Not really. It was advertised pretty heavily during the holiday season after it's Verizon launch. I saw ads for it during football games all the time. Tuna is the first Nexus phone to really get mainstream attention so no one should be surprised that a lot of people bought it. Phone geeks like us bought the Tuna for ICS and stock Android and Pure Google and all that shit, but lots of random people just saw the ads on TV and went to a Verizon store and bought one too.

If anything, the stories of there being a lot of returns and exchanges for the Tuna corroborate a 3rd place showing, because it's the popular phones which get analyzed to death, every possible defect described in detail, and the sheer volume of devices means there is a higher proportion of defective ones returned or exchanged. I would not be surprised if the Tuna will have higher lifetime sales than the vaunted (around here) HTC One X, since Verizon knows how to push phones (see the famous marketing campaign for the original DROIIIIID for further information) and AT&T is utterly helpless at this after years of relying solely on the iPhone to sell itself while AT&T flails around trying to fix their network.

jokkir

Blah, I hate how Android doesn't delete all the data when you uninstall the app. I was trying to clean out some files on my phone and noticed that a bunch of files remained despite the app not being installed.

zbeeb

Blah, I hate how Android doesn't delete all the data when you uninstall the app. I was trying to clean out some files on my phone and noticed that a bunch of files remained despite the app not being installed.

Properly made apps should, its apps that don't follow guidelines for putting data in the correct folder that mess this up.

It's these little things that I wish Google would assert some control over, it just makes the experience that little bit better (and your sd card remains tidy). As it stands now, every few months I go through my sd card and have to check whether folders apply to apps im currently using.

Properly made apps should, its apps that don't follow guidelines for putting data in the correct folder that mess this up.

It's these little things that I wish Google would assert some control over, it just makes the experience that little bit better (and your sd card remains tidy). As it stands now, every few months I go through my sd card and have to check whether folders apply to apps im currently using.

Games are pretty notorious for downloading a bunch of data to your SD card and then leaving it there when you uninstall the game.

Sony announced three low end phones today, one of which has dual SIM capability. I still don't understand this company. In the same year they can release a great phone like the X-P without ICS and waste time, resources and effort on releasing a bunch of shitty devices that no one will buy, all with ICS pre-loaded. WTF Sony, WTF.

Three devices Sony, three devices. X-S/P/U, replace the S in Q3 with a Krait version with a 4.6" screen. Job done. Forget everything else.

gcubed

Sony announced three low end phones today, one of which has dual SIM capability. I still don't understand this company. In the same year they can release a great phone like the X-P without ICS and waste time, resources and effort on releasing a bunch of shitty devices that no one will buy, all with ICS pre-loaded. WTF Sony, WTF.

Three devices Sony, three devices. X-S/P/U, replace the S in Q3 with a Krait version with a 4.6" screen. Job done. Forget everything else.

when does sony's good chipset become available?

when does sony's good chipset become available?

They are using MSM8960 in Xperia GX/SX which is out in Japan some time in July. The GX is supposed to be out internationally in August and the SX is not going to be released at all unless there is extraordinary demand for it in international markets.

There are rumours that Sony are going to be using the ST-E NovaThor A9600 in Q1 2013 devices which is a dual core A15 at 2.5GHz with PowerVR graphics and LTE.

I'm more disappointed that the Xperia S doesn't have NFC.

gcubed

They are using MSM8960 in Xperia GX/SX which is out in Japan some time in July. The GX is supposed to be out internationally in August and the SX is not going to be released at all unless there is extraordinary demand for it in international markets.

There are rumours that Sony are going to be using the ST-E NovaThor A9600 in Q1 2013 devices which is a dual core A15 at 2.5GHz with PowerVR graphics and LTE.

The novathor was the one i was wondering about. Will be nice to have another chipset player. TI has gone pretty silent lately, i guess they are fully focused on the A15 as well... when does Samsung integrate LTE? In their A15 chip too? So basically its Qualcomm's market until Q4 or so... same as last "generation"

I only checked an online store and they didn't list NFC, so I assumed it didn't have it.

I'm so getting the Xperia S, if Apollo disappoints. The Xperia U is a bit too gimped, with only 512 MB RAM and the P isn't available in white.

Naw dude, get the GX. If you are looking to buy around Q3/4 then the X-S will be outdated, the X-GX looks very good. 16/32GB, 1GB RAM, Krait, 4.6" screen and about the same physical size as the X-S (3mm wider, 5mm longer and 2mm thinner). If the SX comes to the west then that is also a worth phone. Those two and the P are the only Sony phones worthy having in 2012. Sony's ICS implementation in the GX looks amazing, the album app and the Walkman app in particular look worthy of a flagship Android phone.

2013 should bring a much better line up for Sony as they will cut out a number of lower end phones and slim down the range. I also think they will use NovaThor U9600 with LTE and A15 in Q1/2 and a quad core device in Q3/4 with Vita game functionality.

Naw dude, get the GX. If you are looking to buy around Q3/4 then the X-S will be outdated, the X-GX looks very good. 16/32GB, 1GB RAM, Krait, 4.6" screen and about the same physical size as the X-S (3mm wider, 5mm longer and 2mm thinner). If the SX comes to the west then that is also a worth phone. Those two and the P are the only Sony phones worthy having in 2012. Sony's ICS implementation in the GX looks amazing, the album app and the Walkman app in particular look worthy of a flagship Android phone.

2013 should bring a much better line up for Sony as they will cut out a number of lower end phones and slim down the range. I also think they will use NovaThor U9600 with LTE and A15 in Q1/2 and a quad core device in Q3/4 with Vita game functionality.

I prefer the design of the Xperia S over the SX or GX. And I really don't get the spec race. A Qualcomm S3 and 1 GB RAM should be enough to provide a super smooth Android experience and that's really all I want. The P is only 50 bucks cheaper than the S and not available in white.

I prefer the design of the Xperia S over the SX or GX. And I really don't get the spec race. A Qualcomm S3 and 1 GB RAM should be enough to provide a super smooth Android experience and that's really all I want. The P is only 50 bucks cheaper than the S and not available in white.

In that case the X-S is a great phone for you. Sony's 2012 ICS implementation is looking awesome as well, take a look at the videos for the GX, eDream 7 will definitely be the best ICS implementation, better than stock, TouchWiz and Sense. Sense is really awful, don't ever, ever get a phone with Sense. Fucking shitty piece of shit. Ruined my Sensation.

gcubed

are there any pictures of edream7?

I think moto right now has the best ICS implementation that i've seen (haven't seen the new Sony)

RuGalz

Get a razr maxx with your upgrade, sell it via craigslist when the GS3 becomes available and use that money to purchase a GS3 from another craigslister or verizon directly. It's definitely a hassle but it's doable if that's the phone you want.

Sounds like if I preorder GS3 now I can still be grandfathered in for unlimited data... I guess I can ride it out for 2 more years or so. I was going to wait until I see the phone in person and compare it to Razr HD Maxx when it comes out... But I guess I don't have much choice now because I'm cheap lol.

kehs

Banned
Sounds like if I preorder GS3 now I can still be grandfathered in for unlimited data... I guess I can ride it out for 2 more years or so. I was going to wait until I see the phone in person and compare it to Razr HD Maxx when it comes out... But I guess I don't have much choice now because I'm cheap lol.

You can always hope the Moto Razr HD Maxx w/ LTE Droid is released within 30 days of your renewal and exchange.

tino

Banned
Any international Galaxy Note user here? What rom are you using? I just flashed the Creskelo rom.

Flashing the Note has to be the most annoying process, I don't see how you can do it without prior rom flashing experience.

Patriots7

I really wish that Motorola would release the Droid RAZR HD on AT&T as opposed to the rather bland Atrix 3. I'm figuring that my next phone is going to be a Motorola, simply because I have faith that Google will keep their own subsidiary honest when it comes to upgrades.

Does anyone think that Google is going to unify their own communication services a-la Apple in Jelly Bean? It seems to logical given the numerous messenger services Google has.

gcubed

I really wish that Motorola would release the Droid RAZR HD on AT&T as opposed to the rather bland Atrix 3. I'm figuring that my next phone is going to be a Motorola, simply because I have faith that Google will keep their own subsidiary honest when it comes to upgrades.

Does anyone think that Google is going to unify their own communication services a-la Apple in Jelly Bean? It seems to logical given the numerous messenger services Google has.

um? Aren't they the same exact thing? Or are you talking about the sharp edges

Chairhome

Apparently, Best Buy is offering the HTC One S for $99 to new customers and upgrades. I'm eligible for upgrade, and so is my wife. I don't know if we NEED two SGS III's when they come out, maybe I'll get the One S and an SGS III. Anyone use the One S? How is it?

Futureman

When is the Maxx suppose to get ICS? Some kid at my work who has one said Moto pushed it out, but I guess Verizon has to approve it first?

Graah. Fine Microsoft, go Metro style with your app, but that black bar of menu stuff doesn't look great. And the app icon. Come on. Fit in with Android a little bit, please? Though many apps need to up their icon game, to be fair.

Apparently, Best Buy is offering the HTC One S for $99 to new customers and upgrades. I'm eligible for upgrade, and so is my wife. I don't know if we NEED two SGS III's when they come out, maybe I'll get the One S and an SGS III. Anyone use the One S? How is it?

I am a fan. You get worried at first at how thin it is, but it's quite solid feeling. A little bit of HTC bloat, but improved from the past, lovely form factor, big but not huge, love the camera aaaand stuff.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
"OK so iOS 6 is disappointing but it still stomps all over Android and is four steps ahead. What's that? You want reasons why I said that? Can't hear you, here's a bunch of features from iOS 6 that I don't know have been available not just on Android, but other OS's for years but don't know about because I've never touched a non-Apple device in my life."

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
"OK so iOS 6 is disappointing but it still stomps all over Android and is four steps ahead. What's that? You want reasons why I said that? Can't hear you, here's a bunch of features from iOS 6 that I don't know have been available not just on Android, but other OS's for years but don't know about because I've never touched a non-Apple device in my life."

I hear your can open apps with voice commands now. Resolutionary!

teiresias

I'm thinking the Galaxy Note 10.1 might just be my first tablet. How is the S-Pen for people with the original Note in terms of actually writing on the notes app? Getting that and pairing it with a good case that lets me set it up for the occasional keyboard use would be great. Glad I didn't jump on an Asus Transformer 300 now.

Should go great with my S3 - which reminds me, I need to go preorder that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom