• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTowel

Anyone here pick up the new sprint evo? Loving it so far. I was tempted to wait for the Galaxy S3 but went ahead with the evo.

Really impressed with the overall build quality. First android device for me so I'm still learning the platform. Massive upgrade from my old touch pro 2 running win mo 6.5.

Cipherr

Anyone here pick up the new sprint evo? Loving it so far. I was tempted to wait for the Galaxy S3 but went ahead with the evo.

Really impressed with the overall build quality. First android device for me so I'm still learning the platform. Massive upgrade from my old touch pro 2 running win mo 6.5.

The EVO 4G LTE right? Yeah man good choice on your first Android phone there. Amazing device.

TheTowel

The EVO 4G LTE right? Yeah man good choice on your first Android phone there. Amazing device.

Yeah the 4g lte. Everything is really nice so far. The camera continues to impress me. Very capable of taking good pictures with the software to back it up.

I can see that Sense 4.0 needs improvement. The occasional hiccups in speed could be cleaned up. I also feel like it uses more ram than it should.

Great phone overall though. Highly recommend it. Now part of AndroidGAF.

NomarTyme

I put Diztronic TPU case on mine.

Yeah the 4g lte. Everything is really nice so far. The camera continues to impress me. Very capable of taking good pictures with the software to back it up.

I can see that Sense 4.0 needs improvement. The occasional hiccups in speed could be cleaned up. I also feel like it uses more ram than it should.

Welcome to the fold.

Chairhome

I am a fan. You get worried at first at how thin it is, but it's quite solid feeling. A little bit of HTC bloat, but improved from the past, lovely form factor, big but not huge, love the camera aaaand stuff.

Thanks. I'll discuss with the wife and see if we should do it.

gcubed

Welcome, Good phone choice. The best way for HTC to fix Sense is to take it out back light it on fire and then piss on the ashes.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Xperia Ion lands June 24th for $99:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/14/...tandt-june-24th-for-99-on-contract/#continued

also:

Ok, before we get into the detail, treat all of the following firmly as a rumour. It is based on a comment left in a previous post but some of the detail ties in with what we’ve heard from our own sources. We’ll just put this out there and you can decide whether you believe it or not.

Apparently, Sony Mobile will be launching four new Xperia smartphones in the second half 2012. I know what you’re thinking, how big is their 2012 portfolio going to be?! These phones will be the second generation NXT series and will be named the Xperia Z, Xperia C, Xperia E and Xperia Y. The Xperia Z will be the flagship and launch in August 2012, whilst the other handsets will launch in July 2012.

All of the phones will have a S4 Snapdragon chipset, sport an OLED display and will come with Cyber-shot camera lenses from the T camera series. All handsets will also be PlayStation Certified and feature the Walkman music player. All of these details could be completely off the mark, but we guess we’ll find out for sure in a week!

http://www.xperiablog.net/2012/06/13/rumour-xperia-z-flagship-to-launch-in-august-2012/

kehs

Banned
Today's inane bitching is brought to you by Google Music:

I can't share a song through the player like I canon the website? Really?

Our surprise guest is G+, with it's inability to share a post through a link. Good job guys!

SimleuqiR

Today's inane bitching is brought to you by Google Music:

I can't share a song through the player like I can on the website? Really?

Our surprise guest is G+, with it's inability to share a post through a link. Good job guys!

Dude, when was the last time the Music App got a hefty update?
I'm hoping I/O will bring some new features to some of the Google Apps on Android - Updates have seem to have slow down in terms of features.

zbeeb

I'm hoping I/O will bring some new features to some of the Google Apps on Android - Updates have seem to have slow down in terms of features.

I really want an update for music manager to add 2-way sync. I'm holding out on formatting my computer so I don't have to delete all my music and reupload it.

kehs

Banned

My Google TV just got alerted me to an update for an old version of Music, does that count?

oh yeah I posted this in the mini/micro pc thread earlier, that cheaper tv stick has the market on it.

http://liliputing.com/2012/06/74-mk802-android-4-0-mini-pc-first-impressions-video.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/100...ternet-TV-Smart-Android-Box-DDR3-1GB-RAM.html

SimleuqiR

My Google TV just got alerted me to an update for an old version of Music, does that count?

NO

oh yeah I posted this in the mini/micro pc thread earlier, that cheaper tv stick has the market on it.

http://liliputing.com/2012/06/74-mk8...ons-video.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1009...3-1GB-RAM.html

1GB RAM? Should we kick out the kickstarted one?

Music needs goddamn podcast support.
And gapless playback.

Yup! It also needs refinement (better tagging, actual MP3 file names). I don't care what the RIAA says/wants...restricting this service/app will not make people NOT download and then upload illegal MP3s to it. At least for the sake of people that buy music through Google Play and the Amazon MP3 store, they should make the experience better.

Rumour is bullshit. No OLED from Sony until Q1 2013 when JDI are producing them in enough quantity. Until JDI get stripe RGB OLED up and running with decent pixel density (the reason that Sony have not gone for OLED is that they think Pentile is a bunch of bollocks) Sony won't have an OLED screen.

Other than that, where have Sony sourced all of these MSM8960/8260A SoCs from?!? Other companies have all been struggling to get Krait supply in enough quantity and Sony are going to release four high end phones with Krait that would do gangbusters over Q4. No, this is just a BS rumour feeding on fanboy clicks.

kehs

Banned
Rumour is bullshit. No OLED from Sony until Q1 2013 when JDI are producing them in enough quantity. Until JDI get stripe RGB OLED up and running with decent pixel density (the reason that Sony have not gone for OLED is that they think Pentile is a bunch of bollocks) Sony won't have an OLED screen.

Other than that, where have Sony sourced all of these MSM8960/8260A SoCs from?!? Other companies have all been struggling to get Krait supply in enough quantity and Sony are going to release four high end phones with Krait that would do gangbusters over Q4. No, this is just a BS rumour feeding on fanboy clicks.

I don't think Sony plans on big quantities anymore.

I'm in the market for phones on both Sprint and T-mobile. I'm switching my iPhone 4S with Sprint, and replacing an aging G2 on Tmobile. I want to know if the current superphone's (HTC EVO 4G and HTC One S) available on both networks have decent battery life.

Or since the Maxx is selling so well, if other manufacturers have phones with awesome battery life in the pipeline?

I was disappointed with Apple's showing with iOS 6, but I do give them the great battery life of the iPhone compared to most Android phones.

Toki767

I'm in the market for phones on both Sprint and T-mobile. I'm switching my iPhone 4S with Sprint, and replacing an aging G2 on Tmobile. I want to know if the current superphone's (HTC EVO 4G and HTC One S) available on both networks have decent battery life.

Or since the Maxx is selling so well, if other manufacturers have phones with awesome battery life in the pipeline?

I was disappointed with Apple's showing with iOS 6, but I do give them the great battery life of the iPhone compared to most Android phones.

Both of those phones should have very good battery life. At the least you should be able to make it through a work day with ease.

I think the phone with the second biggest battery after the Maxx is going to be the Galaxy S3. Plus the Galaxy S3 has a removable battery so you can buy a second one if you fear you'll run out in a place with no charger.

Achtius

I heard that HTC One X have like a legacy on-screen menu button (the 3 dot thingy)

twitter.jpg

Is it a HTC thing or is it because of ICS ?

tino

Banned
I heard that HTC One X have like a legacy on-screen menu button (the 3 dot thingy)

twitter.jpg

Is it a HTC thing or is it because of ICS ?

One X doesn't have a menu button. All Samsung ones have. Having actual menu button is clearly a superior implementation.

Toki767

I think when I inevitably root/install custom ROMs on my Galaxy S3, I will be pretty tempted to make it have on screen keys like the Galaxy Nexus and only use the physical home button when needed. The menu and back key seem really low so I don't know if I want to reach for it.

panda21

really thinking about getting a one x, but i'm a bit confused by the locked bootloader thing.

you can clearly install custom roms on it because xda has like 4 different versions of cm9 for it.

so what is it thats locked and why is it a problem? does it mean you can't change the kernel?

and does it mean that when jelly bean comes out you might not be able to get roms for it until HTC releases a new bootloader that works with jelly bean or something?

Toki767

really thinking about getting a one x, but i'm a bit confused by the locked bootloader thing.

you can clearly install custom roms on it because xda has like 4 different versions of cm9 for it.

so what is it thats locked and why is it a problem? does it mean you can't change the kernel?

and does it mean that when jelly bean comes out you might not be able to get roms for it until HTC releases a new bootloader that works with jelly bean or something?

That's correct. No installing CM9, MIUI or any of that stuff. I think XDA has a bunch of different versions of CM9 for it because those are probably for the International and Canadian versions of the One X.

There is a method to unlock the AT&T One X bootloader though so that really shouldn't be a problem.

tino

Banned
Sony can only sell the Xperia Ion for $99? This phone should have come out half year earlier and for 199. This show that Sony still don't have any good relationship with the US carriers.

Toki767

Sony can only sell the Xperia Ion for $99? This phone should have come out half year earlier and for 199. This show that Sony still don't have any good relationship with the US carriers.

The phone would be a ripoff at $199 considering it's still using the Snapdragon S3 and it's coming with Gingerbread.

Doopliss

One X doesn't have a menu button. All Samsung ones have. Having actual menu button is clearly a superior implementation.
I find that most apps have updated by now, so a hardware menu key is pretty useless (except for hiding functionality). Hence on my galaxys2 I've remapped it to open the app switcher.

Edit: Oh, and the on-screen bar with just a menu button is HTC exclusive content. I don't have that.

zedge

I find that most apps have updated by now, so a hardware menu key is pretty useless (except for hiding functionality). Hence on my galaxys2 I've remapped it to open the app switcher.

Edit: Oh, and the on-screen bar with just a menu button is HTC exclusive content. I don't have that.
The problem is its not consistent. Sometimes it at the top, sometimes its at the bottom. Ill take the hardware button. Unless its stock ics which is fairly consitent.

Toki767

The two most glaring apps in need of an ICS redesign are Facebook and Twitter. They're the most popular but it doesn't seem like the teams can be bothered to follow Google's design docs.

panda21

That's correct. No installing CM9, MIUI or any of that stuff. I think XDA has a bunch of different versions of CM9 for it because those are probably for the International and Canadian versions of the One X.

There is a method to unlock the AT&T One X bootloader though so that really shouldn't be a problem.

wait so the international one x doesnt have a locked bootloader? i'm in the uk...

Doopliss

The problem is its not consistent. Sometimes it at the top, sometimes its at the bottom. Ill take the hardware button. Unless its stock ics which is fairly consitent.
This argument is ridiculous. Do you get confused that there's an app which has a 'take picture' button in the place where a different app has a 'dial number' button?

tino

Banned

This is an ergonomic argument. IMO menu button is used much much more frequently than the app button. Therefore it should be much bigger and more accessible than the app buttons. I rather have two menu button, one capacity one virtual on top, than one app button and one random menu button on the top.

I can do without the app button on my daily usage and it wouldn't bother me. Plus HTC's half ass implementaton of virtual menu button is clearly wrong.

This is an ergonomic argument. IMO menu button is used much much more frequently than the app button. Therefore it should be much bigger and more accessible than the app buttons. I rather have two menu button, one capacity one virtual on top, than one app button and one random menu button on the top.

I can do without the app button on my daily usage and it wouldn't bother me. Plus HTC's half ass implementaton of virtual menu button is clearly wrong.

i swear taht the only reason they have an app switcher button instead of a menu button is to make people learn that the function exists. if, someday, i got a phone with the app switcher button, the first thing i'd do is apply a hack to make it function as a menu button instead.

Toki767

i swear taht the only reason they have an app switcher button instead of a menu button is to make people learn that the function exists. if, someday, i got a phone with the app switcher button, the first thing i'd do is apply a hack to make it function as a menu button instead.

What was their reasoning for getting rid of the menu button anyways? It just seems infinitely more useful to press one button at any time to see what actions you can take.

kehs

Banned

The appswitcher is the quickest way to force stop all my janky apps!

I use the task switcher more than I do the home or back to be honest.

What was their reasoning for getting rid of the menu button anyways? It just seems infinitely more useful to press one button at any time to see what actions you can take.

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2012/01/say-goodbye-to-menu-button.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom