• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
One X doesn't have a menu button. All Samsung ones have. Having actual menu button is clearly a superior implementation.

No.

Clearly the superior implementation is having software buttons so when the 3 dots appear they appear on the side of the bar. I don't understand why phones keep coming out with hardware buttons.

Ephemeris

Apparently, Best Buy is offering the HTC One S for $99 to new customers and upgrades. I'm eligible for upgrade, and so is my wife. I don't know if we NEED two SGS III's when they come out, maybe I'll get the One S and an SGS III. Anyone use the One S? How is it?

Tmobile's Father Day Sale has it for free

What was their reasoning for getting rid of the menu button anyways? It just seems infinitely more useful to press one button at any time to see what actions you can take.
that's what i was saying before. they got rid of it because they want to show off multitasking. something had to go and it wasn't going to be the home or back button...

The appswitcher is the quickest way to force stop all my janky apps!

I use the task switcher more than I do the home or back to be honest.
i don't use janky apps that need force closing. ok, maybe facebook on occasion...

No.

Clearly the superior implementation is having software buttons so when the 3 dots appear they appear on the side of the bar. I don't understand why phones keep coming out with hardware buttons.

nah, Samzeus got it right.

no (dot) (dot) (dot)

no software buttons taking up screen space

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What was their reasoning for getting rid of the menu button anyways? It just seems infinitely more useful to press one button at any time to see what actions you can take.

The thinking is that it's better to have all actions contextual and on-screen so they're immediately discoverable to the user. Making users press the menu button can yield vastly inconsistent results, sometimes doing nothing and sometimes holding crucial functionality.

Hey guys, I have an LG Lucid that just doesn't download group MMS texts. I click the download button next to the messages, but it doesn't ever show progress or stop saying "downloading". Is there a separate app I can download to fix this? Is this a common problem?

Toki767

The thinking is that it's better to have all actions contextual and on-screen so they're immediately discoverable to the user. Making users press the menu button can yield vastly inconsistent results, sometimes doing nothing and sometimes holding crucial functionality.

If that's the case, then it's really Google's own fault for not thinking about that 4 years ago.

tino

Banned
No.

Becuase capacity buttons are cheap. I rather have a 4.7" screen I can use the whole 4.7 inch instead of a 4.7" screen I pay for but can only use 4.5" 90% of the time. Capacity buttons doesn't cost you any money.

Plus hard button is always better than virtual button from the ergonomic stand point. You know why DSLR have hundreds of buttons and they all feel different? Becuase you can press the button without looking at it. Try to press soft buttons when you are driving and you know hard buttons are better. Capacity buttons are at lease half way hard buttons.

Achtius

The more I read about the HTC One X the more problems I see it has (wifi and multitask issues), I am really torn between One X or GS3

Husker86

Becuase capacity buttons are cheap. I rather have a 4.7" screen I can use the whole 4.7 inch instead of a 4.7" screen I pay for but can only use 4.5" 90% of the time. Capacity buttons doesn't cost you any money.

Plus hard button is always better than virtual button from the ergonomic stand point. You know why DSLR have hundreds of buttons and they all feel different? Becuase you can press the button without looking at it. Try to press soft buttons when you are driving and you know hard buttons are better. Capacity buttons are at lease half way hard buttons.
Umm, capacitive buttons have no more tactile feedback than software buttons do. That said, I am still thinking I'm getting off the software button train for my next phone.

On point.

on screen buttons are just waste of screen space.

The GS3 got it right.

There's mod on the One X to make it like the GS3, which what everybody preferred(most custom rom got it on default).

Ecto311

The more I read about the HTC One X the more problems I see it has (wifi and multitask issues), I am really torn between One X or GS3

What is there to be torn about? Not being sarcastic but the htc has a good screen but with the issues I am personally going for the s3 - cant find a reason not to

On point.

on screen buttons are just waste of screen space.

The GS3 got it right.

There's mod on the One X to make it like the GS3, which what everybody preferred(most custom rom got it on default).

This will in time be proven to be a flawed way of thinking. Maybe the Galaxy Nexus isn't the best example but in future I expect that if there weren't onscreen buttons there would be physical buttons taking up the same space - Screens will end up using more of the physical real estate.

And people bemoaning the lack of a menu button? A one press multitasking button isn't just for show - I use it way more than I ever would a menu button which you generally only have to use when you are digging deep into an app. It's a deliberate move to get developers to think more about exposing common actions in the action bar instead of tucking them away. If you want to see why the multitasking button came in I suggest you watch the presentation Matias Duarte gave when WebOS was first launched. Duarte knows more about making UI's that work well than pretty much all of us in this thread combined. I'd trust him to make better decisions than the team who brought us Touchwiz Nature UX or Sense.

If you get the decent One X without the wifi issue, then its a great device. I would recommended it due to having custom roms available that greatly improve the usability of the device.

I was planning to just keep the One X till when the GS3 becomes available, now I'm thinking of keeping both.

This will in time be proven to be a flawed way of thinking. Maybe the Galaxy Nexus isn't the best example but in future I expect that if there weren't onscreen buttons there would be physical buttons taking up the same space - Screens will end up using more of the physical real estate.

Well you are correct that the Gnex isn't the best example. The thing with the gnex is that the bottom bezel had so much space that it could have easily fit capacitive/physical buttons. The software button and the big bezel took out alot of space.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

And people bemoaning the lack of a menu button? A one press multitasking button isn't just for show - I use it way more than I ever would a menu button which you generally only have to use when you are digging deep into an app. It's a deliberate move to get developers to think more about exposing common actions in the action bar instead of tucking them away. If you want to see why the multitasking button came in I suggest you watch the presentation Matias Duarte gave when WebOS was first launched. Duarte knows more about making UI's that work well than pretty much all of us in this thread combined. I'd trust him to make better decisions than the team who brought us Touchwiz Nature UX or Sense.

Well said. I also think a gesture for hiding/showing the nav bar is in the works. Some custom ROMs have already added it without much fuss, so it should be doable. When that happens, on screen buttons will clearly be superior.

Edit- Like you just said. :p

If that's the case, then it's really Google's own fault for not thinking about that 4 years ago.

It is, but they're doing their best to fix it now.

Either Google is certifying whatever shows up at their doorstep, or this lower level mfgs are stepping up their game big time.

Kobo Tablets get Google Play.

Gotta increase dat Android tablet market share somehow. And hey, the Nexus tab might not be far off in specs from the sound of things. :p

Achtius

What is there to be torn about? Not being sarcastic but the htc has a good screen but with the issues I am personally going for the s3 - cant find a reason not to

I think the One X is one of the best looking phone, while S3 isn't. But too much problem with the One X is driving me away.

If you get the decent One X without the wifi issue, then its a great device. I would recommended it due to having custom roms available that greatly improve the usability of the device.

I was planning to just keep the One X till when the GS3 becomes available, now I'm thinking of keeping both.

I'll wait a bit to see if HTC comments on the hardware issue or not.

Darkkn

Is there a change that the new Nexus phones will be announced at GoogleIO?

I'm really feeling the need to upgrade my galaxy s, but having got used to cm9's stock goodness, it would be really difficult to go back to TW with galaxy s3. Galaxy Nexus on the other hand just looks like bit of a gimped piece of kit at this point. The camera... TIOMAP... etc.

JordanKZ

I don't think there's much of a chance. Pretty sure they'll do another Galaxy Nexus this year and throw something out at the end of the year.

As for the S3, it will get Cyanogen 9 fairly quickly I should suspect. So you might not have to wait all that long.

I'm really feeling the need to upgrade my galaxy s, but having got used to cm9's stock goodness, it would be really difficult to go back to TW with galaxy s3. Galaxy Nexus on the other hand just looks like bit of a gimped piece of kit at this point. The camera... TIOMAP... etc.

Doubtful. Tablet yes. I expect a Jelly Bean preview, Tablet release... unless it's Jelly Bean with a tablet and then a new Android version in November/December with Nexus handsets.

SimleuqiR

Next Nexus phone will release at then of this year (Nov-Dec)

v5nQY.jpg

high tech computers

Tess3ract

Banned
Are there any android tablets with a camera on them?

Basically I want an android device without having to pay up the ass for a monthly fee

kehs

Banned
Are there any android tablets with a camera on them?

Basically I want an android device without having to pay up the ass for a monthly fee

Pretty much all of them have two, but they're usually just average.

There's plenty of affordable android phones you can buy outright btw, what's your price range?

TheTowel

That light bleed is pretty bad. It's normal for lcd screens to have light bleed, similar to old screens having certain blotches when displaying black.

Hell, my evo 4g lte has minor bleed but nothing worth returning it.

zedge

That light bleed is pretty bad. It's normal for lcd screens to have light bleed, similar to old screens having certain blotches when displaying black.

Hell, my evo 4g lte has minor bleed but nothing worth returning it.

Yea, my Asus Transformer has some light bleed at the bottom. Learned to live with it.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I can't wait! Less than a week until windows stuff, then another week til google. Hopefully these events will wash the stink of E3 off of June.

Tess3ract

Banned
The Galaxy Tab 2 looks pretty decent and is only $250! According to ebay I could prolly sell my iPod touch gen 3 that's in pretty great condition for about at least half that.

How easy is it to make calls on it?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The Galaxy Tab 2 looks pretty decent and is only $250! According to ebay I could prolly sell my iPod touch gen 3 that's in pretty great condition for about at least half that.

How easy is it to make calls on it?

Honestly, you'd be pretty foolish to not wait two weeks to see what Google has cooking for their nexus tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom