• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, took all of about a minute to have my tablet face-unlocked by a photo of me on a friend's tablet.

Face Unlock isn't supposed to be this super-high-tech secure Hollywood movie technology where it contour scans your face and analyzes it to a precision of 0.001% error rate.

It's supposed to be a fast and convenient and gimmicky fun way of unlocking your phone. If you're looking for secure unlock, I would suggest PIN Unlock. And wipe your phone's screen after unlocking it to remove the telltale fingerprints which reveal what your PIN is.

r1chard

Face Unlock isn't supposed to be this super-high-tech secure Hollywood movie technology where it contour scans your face and analyzes it to a precision of 0.001% error rate.

It's supposed to be a fast and convenient and gimmicky fun way of unlocking your phone. If you're looking for secure unlock, I would suggest PIN Unlock. And wipe your phone's screen after unlocking it to remove the telltale fingerprints which reveal what your PIN is.

Sure. I just posted for the curious :)

Angst

Pattern unlock is even safer, isn't it?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
That's why I just smudge the rest of it up with normal use. That and my pattern isn't anything crazy unique so it won't really stand out if you're looking at smudges.

How to make Face Unlock more secure: Do a really weird face expresssion for when you set it up/use it that no-one'll have taken a photo of.

Now we just need to invent psychic unlock to stop the screen smudging.

Apparently the ICS update for the Xperia S has finished its final stage of testing and is t be released at some point next week. The ICS update for the Xperia P will be out in the second or third week of July.

thespot84

just make your pattern something that overlaps itself multiple times. I have mine set up using only the right two columns so I can do it without moving my hand and it's a right mess when i'm done doing it.

gcubed

ICS seems like its taking much longer to roll out than gingerbread. MUCH longer.

Its kind of silly announcing a new version of the OS (even if its not going to be out until winter) when your current version is JUST getting to the bigger phones.

RuGalz

ICS seems like its taking much longer to roll out than gingerbread. MUCH longer.

Its kind of silly announcing a new version of the OS (even if its not going to be out until winter) when your current version is JUST getting to the bigger phones.

It's probably due to a lot of underlying architecture changes in order to switch to ICS proper with hardware acceleration etc. I am expecting next roll out will be simpler and quicker for devices that started on ICS.

kehs

Banned
I don't think they'll announce anything big, they'll just tease it. I'm hoping for a point update though, that includes window management and context based setup(padfone like stuff).

kehs

Banned
i think window management would fall under "big"

I mean in terms of code changes. That's something that's added on rather than rebuilt. There's plenty of apps doing floating things already (hovernote). Just pull up the phone layout that's already in the apks.

I'd put it on par with something like the actionbar in terms of feature sets.

If they announce Jelly Bean, which I hope they only do if there's some worth it, they really need to announce serious plans to kick carriers up the arse. Like, make that Android Update Allowance or whatever, oh I don't know, WORK.

gcubed

If they announce Jelly Bean, which I hope they only do if there's some worth it, they really need to announce serious plans to kick carriers up the arse. Like, make that Android Update Allowance or whatever, oh I don't know, WORK.

i think their Android Alliance turned into the "we will release a nexus phone from each manufacturer"

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
thanks for the Galaxy Tab 2 news. I was looking for a 3rd tablet to mess with and was eyeing that one hard. If it's not as fast as the tf300, then i'm not touching it. I don't even touch the Iconia anymore.

What's "tegra" and why should I avoid it?

No, you shouldn't avoid Tegra. Tegra is the name of Nvidia's CPU/GPU that most Android Tablets / Phones use. However there are 3 different versions of the Tegra; Tegra 1, Tegra 2 and Tegra 3. The latest "Next-gen" tablets / phones are using Tegra 3 (and Snapdragon / OMAP / Exynos).

That said if you get a tablet now then you really want to get a Tegra 3 powered tablet UNLESS you can get a Tegra 2 tablet for a steal and when I say steal I mean under $250. Heck there's several Tegra 3 tablets (7 inch) coming in the Q2/Q3 2012 that supposedly under $200.

TL;DR If you want the best on an Android tablet get Tegra 3. Tegra 2 is also fine but it's a bit long in the tooth.

wish someone told me this before i bought a xoom (at launch)

I'm still rocking my Xoom though it's heavily modded using roms and I knew there were going to be some cheap Tegra 3 tablets coming, in fact Acer has one releasing this month; Acer Iconia A700. At the Xoom's launch the Tegra 2 chipset was the latest and greatest.

Edit - Yah, The Nexus tablet is going to have a Nvidia Tegra chipset at $250.00, 7 inches only but that's a damned good price and a nice format.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
In addition to the main Google I/O thread are we going to post multiple threads about every single feature,device, etc? I kinda noticed how this happens with other conferences.

In addition to the main Google I/O thread are we going to post multiple threads about every single feature,device, etc? I kinda noticed how this happens with other conferences.

Normally it goes new threads for new news, and if something's significant enough and warrants more discussion, that'll probably happen naturally.

RuGalz

Anyone has suggestion on where to buy unlocked phone to use on AT&T in the US? Never bought one before but I'm looking into it for my gf. Thanks.

Ephemeris

Google I/O 2012 - Making iOS Better every year.

iDfac6fqsPJKv.gif

Cipherr

Just don't use anything inflammatory. The last thing we need is to attract some of the crazy phone OS warriors and shit up the thread.

Amen to that. I really don't understand the trend of wanting inflammatory titles for these threads. AFAIK Apple/Windows-Age GAF doesn't bother with them. No good comes of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom