• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
Holy wow! When the hell was opera mobile hardware accelerated? I just tried anandtech's website on my Droid x and my framerate in portrait goes from like 15fps to 40ish! Apparently this browser renders pages as a texture! Even better, I can now post on GAF perfectly! woooooohoooo

daoster

sirrian said:
!!! Some guy with a friend @ Google apparently got to use a Nexus... thread is here and for a summary of the juicy bits just read this!

As always, keep your salt shaker handy.

All this amazing and is getting me psyched out but....

How is this suppose to be see things we didn't believe that they'd do for Android? These are all things I expected.

DAMN YOU LARRY PAGE!

Cipherr

daoster said:
All this amazing and is getting me psyched out but....

How is this suppose to be see things we didn't believe that they'd do for Android? These are all things I expected.

DAMN YOU LARRY PAGE!

You expected the lower part of the bezel closest to the screen to be capacitive touch capable? Hell I did nooooot see that one coming. Apparently thats how you trigger the onscreen buttons to reappear if you are in an app that uses the full screen resolution.

JaseMath

So I wasn't able to return my iPhone...now I have to keep it and I'm out an upgrade. I went back to my trusty DInc, but I'm just wondering the odds of someone trading me straight up for a Prime, Razr or Rezound. What the fuck was I thinking...

kehs

Banned
JasonMCG said:
So I wasn't able to return my iPhone...now I have to keep it and I'm out an upgrade. I went back to my trusty DInc, but I'm just wondering the odds of someone trading me straight up for a Prime, Razr or Rezound. What the fuck was I thinking...

It's been less than a month since the 4s launched, no? Don't they have to take it back if you don't want it, or you not in the us?

Cipherr

JasonMCG said:

Yeah I don't understand this, isn't there a 14 day period? How can they deny you the return? In any case, your best bet would be to sell it now. As in right now, you might be able to fetch MSRP on e-bay even. iPhones have the absolute best resell ever, and if they are currently supply constrained, pull up Craigslist and see how close to cost you can get for it, then you would need to use an old phone in the meantime on your plan while you wait for the Prime.

All in all its a pretty f'ed up situation man. Im not sure its even worth it. I like the different OS's for what they are, but theres not a colossal rift between the two... this sounds like a lot of work to do to switch phones. Might want to just stick with the 4S and save yourself the headache.

JaseMath

Copernicus said:
It's been less than a month since the 4s launched, no? Don't they have to take it back if you don't want it, or you not in the us?
There's a 14-day return policy, but there's a $35 restock fee plus an added $20 on top of that as one-time early upgrade fee that I wouldn't have gotten back, so I'd be out $55. They also said I wouldn't qualify for an upgrade until 2013 regardless of if I returned it or not. So fuck VZW - I'll trade it outright or sell it.

Linkhero1

I've had a two year contract with T-Mobile since Nexus One launched in the United States. If Verizon is the only carrier for the Nexus Prime will I be able to transfer my number and cancel my contract with T-Mobile with no charge? It's been about 20 months I think.

Cipherr

JasonMCG said:
There's a 14-day return policy, but there's a $35 restock fee plus an added $20 on top of that as one-time early upgrade fee that I wouldn't have gotten back, so I'd be out $55. They also said I wouldn't qualify for an upgrade until 2013 regardless of if I returned it or not. So fuck VZW - I'll trade it outright or sell it.

Wow, goddamn that is harsh. Thats kinda messed up. So if you returned it they would leave you without a phone? Or would they force you to exchange it for a model that they currently have in stock (essentially ruling out the Prime thats a month off)?

JaseMath

Cipherr said:
Wow, goddamn that is harsh. Thats kinda messed up. So if you returned it they would leave you without a phone? Or would they force you to exchange it for a model that they currently have in stock (essentially ruling out the Prime thats a month off)?
I could have exchanged it, but with the new phones coming out, I didn't want to exchange for a Bionic. Good thing I held on to my DInc.

kehs

Banned
JasonMCG said:
I could have exchanged it, but with the new phones coming out, I didn't want to exchange for a Bionic. Good thing I held on to my DInc.

That sucks, rumors point to the Prime being released about nov 10...way out of the time window for an exchange.

JaseMath

Copernicus said:
That sucks, rumors point to the Prime being released about nov 10...way out of the time window for an exchange.
Yeah that's why I'm holding out for a straight up exchange through Craigslist. Even if I get retail for my iPhone on eBay, I already dropped $300 for the upgrade...and since I'm going to have to pay MSRP for a new Droid, I'm actually going to end up losing a few hundred more. :/

kehs

Banned
JasonMCG said:
Yeah that's why I'm holding out for a straight up exchange through Craigslist. Even if I get retail for my iPhone on eBay, I already dropped $300 for the upgrade...and since I'm going to have to pay MSRP for a new Droid, I'm actually going to end up losing a few hundred more. :/

The 4S is worth more unlocked, so I'm sure you'll be able to find a few straight up trades for a prime bought on contract.

daoster

Cipherr said:
You expected the lower part of the bezel closest to the screen to be capacitive touch capable? Hell I did nooooot see that one coming. Apparently thats how you trigger the onscreen buttons to reappear if you are in an app that uses the full screen resolution.

Well, wasn't it already rumored/leaked? I guess I keep up with the Android news too much, so it;s not going to surprise me =\

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just spent an hour helping my friends wifes friends friends mom get her icloud backup. Im still not sure how that worked. I was also kinda drunk, but she gave me an ice cream sundae.

kehs

Banned
Jtwo said:
Just spent an hour helping my friends wifes friends friends mom get her icloud backup. Im still not sure how that worked. I was also kinda drunk, but she gave me an ice cream sundae.

I hope that's a sexual innuendo.

minx

Not so impressed with the iPhone 4S. If I made the switch to android would I be able to keep my unlimited data plan with AT&T or would that only work going to another iPhone. No way I'm losing that unlimited data.

soultron

Banned
I need to know if the Galaxy S Fascinate 3G+ is a terrible handset or if it's just me. I'm close to dropping this shit like a bad habit in favour of the iPhone4S.

I've owned it for nearly a year, but lately it's been nothing but problems. I know some of it is the fault of shitty apps, but even the apps needing a lot of adds to support themselves is making me want to dump the thing.

I launched an old favourite app of mine the other day, after months of not using it, and now I can't transition between screens without being asked to rate this 5 stars or download this new app.

If I didn't hate iTunes so much I'd have switched by now.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ths is that video everyone earlier said was fake right? The one that doesn't showcase horizontal scrolling in the app pane? I think people decided it was just an ICS skin on a normal gs2.

nice soundtrack though

rozay

Banned
The Broken Ska Record said:
Is there anyway to increase the size of a CM nightly build to be more than 200MBs? I'm tired of clearing my phone every few weeks because it's full.
What phone do you have?

alternade

Vyse The Legend said:
Seriously, this is getting out of hand. Thank God tomorrow is the conference.
I thought it was Tuesday at 7am est?

That video seemed off for some reason. Man the only thing that worries me is the Verizon exclusivity and how long a gsm version will take to come out. I'm still baffled that google would do that.

kehs

Banned
alternade said:
I thought it was Tuesday at 7am est?

That video seemed off for some reason. Man the only thing that worries me is the Verizon exclusivity and how long a gsm version will take to come out. I'm still baffled that google would do that.

Tuesday 10 PM East Coast, Wednesday 10 AM Hong Kong Time.

soultron said:
I need to know if the Galaxy S Fascinate 3G+ is a terrible handset or if it's just me. I'm close to dropping this shit like a bad habit in favour of the iPhone4S.

I've owned it for nearly a year, but lately it's been nothing but problems. I know some of it is the fault of shitty apps, but even the apps needing a lot of adds to support themselves is making me want to dump the thing.

I launched an old favourite app of mine the other day, after months of not using it, and now I can't transition between screens without being asked to rate this 5 stars or download this new app.

If I didn't hate iTunes so much I'd have switched by now.
sounds like you just made some bad choices in apps. if an app was annoying me with stuff like that, i would just uninstall it.

soultron

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
sounds like you just made some bad choices in apps. if an app was annoying me with stuff like that, i would just uninstall it.
Most of the time it's stuff like Launcher Pro or Marketplace (while updating) that locks up.

I'm jumping to the SII X when it comes to Canada. I'm eager to see what 4.0 is like since I'm stuck with 2.2 right now.

Cipherr

minx88 said:
Not so impressed with the iPhone 4S. If I made the switch to android would I be able to keep my unlimited data plan with AT&T or would that only work going to another iPhone. No way I'm losing that unlimited data.

You can keep your plan. Its not tied to the phone you have.

masud

Banned
JasonMCG said:
That’s absolutely not true. If you return the phone you get your upgrade date back. I'm pretty sure you get the early upgrade fee back too. Call them, don't go to a store, they're morons there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom