• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Not sure if we're talking about the same phone, all gsm galaxy nexus are the same and are compatible with att/tmo.

as long as it isn't the verizon version, any galaxy nexus will work on AT&T.

I was just going by what I could get used near me on Craig's List. Everyone's dumping the Verizon model. LOL

Like I said the only hesitation from paying the full $400 bones is the fact that it's not LTE. There's an LTE version, but it's not the GSM version which sort of screws me.

gcubed

Brettison, the worst thing you can do if you care about UI at all is go with any device with Sense on it. Second worst thing you can do is go with a touchwiz.

Vanillalite

Brettison, the worst thing you can do if you care about UI at all is go with any device with Sense on it. Second worst thing you can do is go with a touchwiz.

Call me crazy but I don't mind sense on my GF's Inspire as much as I hate the new frick'n UI on the WP8 phones with the weird ass different sized boxes. Just annoys the shit out of me the longer it's sat in my mind.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Why don't you just switch to Verizon? The service is a lot better and they have an actually usable 4G network.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OK so which phones on ATT even have LTE? Because crappy 3G speed is more a problem of ATT than 3G itself. I love Verizon's 3G.

Vanillalite

OK so which phones on ATT even have LTE? Because crappy 3G speed is more a problem of ATT than 3G itself. I love Verizon's 3G.

All of this year's phones have LTE. HTC One X, Lumia 900, Galaxy S3 (the GS2 got a remix with LTE as well), HTC Titan II etc... etc... and I don't think they are even releasing any new non 4g phones honestly.

Depending on the city, AT&T LTE can actually be very good.

AT&T LTE is only in a handful of cities, so I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Beggars can't be choosers. Meanwhile Verizon LTE covers over 200 markets and 75% of the US population.

All of this year's phones have LTE. HTC One X, Lumia 900, Galaxy S3 (the GS2 got a remix with LTE as well), HTC Titan II etc... etc... and I don't think they are even releasing any new non 4g phones honestly.

Both AT&T and Verizon require all new smartphones to have LTE support. They're all going to be 4G going forward whether anyone likes it or not.

Vanillalite

AT&T LTE is only in a handful of cities, so I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Beggars can't be choosers. Meanwhile Verizon LTE covers over 200 markets and 75% of the US population.

Both AT&T and Verizon require all new smartphones to have LTE support. They're all going to be 4G going forward whether anyone likes it or not.

He didn't say anything about that though? The poster just said if you can get LTE in an AT&T market the actual speed is pretty good, and it is. I have friends/co-workers that have LTE phones and they get fuck'n crazy speeds since I happen to live in one of the few major markets AT&T has LTE coverage.

He didn't say anything about that though? The poster just said if you can get LTE in an AT&T market the actual speed is pretty good, and it is. I have friends/co-workers that have LTE phones and they get fuck'n crazy speeds since I happen to live in one of the few major markets AT&T has LTE coverage.

It's fast because about 27 people in the whole market have an LTE device. Surely you don't think as more and more people get LTE devices, it will remain that fast? People in the original Verizon launch LTE markets already get less speed than they did if they bought an LTE device at launch, as more and more people get LTE devices and access the network.

Vyer

Like I said; depending on the city. If you can get it - which Brett seems like he can - it's very good.

What? AT&T's 3G was amazing when I had an iPhone. 3-6mbps. Verizon's 3G is slow, luckily I don't get stuck with it much.

My experience as well. For all the shitty things that exist about AT&T, I have found some decent speeds.

Vanillalite

It's fast because about 27 people in the whole market have an LTE device. Surely you don't think as more and more people get LTE devices, it will remain that fast? People in the original Verizon launch LTE markets already get less speed than they did if they bought an LTE device at launch, as more and more people get LTE devices and access the network.

They could drop the speed in half and it would still be a metric ton faster than what I get on 3g though.

PS: Obviously I'm in the Atl holding it down.

You prefer LG's android UI over these two? I've never used one myself but I've heard LG's software is pretty bad.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
My experience as well. For all the shitty things that exist about AT&T, I have found some decent speeds.

I have AT&T for my iPad data and on 3G, it's a whole lot faster than the 3G for my Sprint phones.

Call me crazy but I don't mind sense on my GF's Inspire as much as I hate the new frick'n UI on the WP8 phones with the weird ass different sized boxes. Just annoys the shit out of me the longer it's sat in my mind.

Alright, Brettison.

I thought I was mad about the new home screen, but that is just ridiculous and insane.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man

What a horrible viewpoint. Let's set aside the fact that some of the most popular widgets out there are attempts to recreate parts of the Sense experience on non-Sense devices and the things that Sense gets so, so right in its latest incarnation (that camera app, for a start). This is Android. Don't like Sense? Install a new home screen. Install a new dialler. Install a new whatever. Problem solved.

If you're really hung up on getting rid of Sense entirely, there's nothing to stop you installing a new ROM (though you'll note that the most popular ones for the One X are the ones that keep some/all Sense features).

Polari

Google better announce music for Australia at ioor I am jumping back to iOS.

I wouldn't hold your breath. I realise the rights issues are complicated, but I really feel as though Google are dragging their heels when it comes to taking Music as well as Video and Books on the Play Store international.

Dizzan

MINI Member
I wouldn't hold your breath. I realise the rights issues are complicated, but I really feel as though Google are dragging their heels when it comes to taking Music as well as Video and Books on the Play Store international.

Agreed. Content is so much better on iOS. No tv shows, no music or no purchasing of movies here. It's ridiculous.

Vanillalite

Alright, Brettison.

I thought I was mad about the new home screen, but that is just ridiculous and insane.

Whatever you know it's true. WP8 looks like some who was half competent in terms of industrial design decided to try and recreate the look of WP7 which is why it looks close, but it's that extra bit of actual design missing that just kills it. The titles in terms of scaling are just fucked up now. Even the dreaded TouchWiz or Sense don't have this problem.

I'd actually equate it to Steve Jobs and how stuff always came to him that was maybe decent in theory, but he was a perfectionist freak that said it's just not there yet. They might have been 80% there on an idea, but Jobs always thought that final 20% of extra design detail made not just a little bit but more like 1000 times the difference. On this bit I'd agree.

Whatever you know it's true. WP8 looks like some who was half competent in terms of industrial design decided to try and recreate the look of WP7 which is why it looks close, but it's that extra bit of actual design missing that just kills it. The titles in terms of scaling are just fucked up now. Even the dreaded TouchWiz or Sense don't have this problem.

I'd actually equate it to Steve Jobs and how stuff always came to him that was maybe decent in theory, but he was a perfectionist freak that said it's just not there yet. They might have been 80% there on an idea, but Jobs always thought that final 20% of extra design detail made not just a little bit but more like 1000 times the difference. On this bit I'd agree.

My brother has the HTC Sensation with ICS and I would definitely rather use a phone with WP OS 8 than that.

My brother has the HTC Sensation with ICS and I would definitely rather use a phone with WP OS 8 than that.

Yeah, I would second that. HTC completely ruined the Sensation with Sense 3.6, the phone runs like arse. I've been looking for Xperia S for £299 or less over the last couple of days, I think I'll probably find one in the next couple of weeks. There will probably be a bunch of offers in the run up to the Olympics.

Consider me the biggest WP8 UI Hater then. LoL

It's not just about the UI, but the whole experience. The new home screen does look worse, but it's still super smooth and has very fluid animations. Something I have yet to see from Sense since version 1.0 on Windows Mobile.

Yesterday I scrolled through my app list and asked myself if I really would want to give that smooth experience up.

SimleuqiR

$99.00

vizio-co-star.jpg
Still no release date.

Wish my interment connection was fast all the time, I would give OnLive a try.

Google is also promoting it on their TV website:

http://www.google.com/tv/get.html

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Google better announce music for Australia at ioor I am jumping back to iOS.

Better get your iPhone order in early, then. Australia will most likely be in the third wave of countries to get it, and I'm not betting on the second wave arriving any time soon.

Fuck you Google is the new fuck you Amazon. :p

bedlamite

Yeah, I would second that. HTC completely ruined the Sensation with Sense 3.6, the phone runs like arse.
Custom ROM?

The first few weeks with ICS/3.6 on my Sensation were great, after that lag started creeping in. If not for being able to flash the phone I'd probably have binned the damn thing.

bedlamite

Yeah, I was thinking about it, how well does CM9 run on the Sensation?
Flashed it with Virtuous Inquisition. I've only had it on for 2 weeks, and even then I alternate using this with a Lumia, so I really can't say, but I haven't had any major issues with it so far. XDA folk seem to think VI's the best AOKP ROM out there, though.

So the 3rd gen dual-core Snapdragon in the Sensation was too slow?
I guess so.

sad, isn't it

iapetus

Scary Euro Man

Or ICS/Sense was shoehorned onto the device in a half-assed way.

The point is, to say "don't get a Sense device - they suck" when there's clearly a Sense device that doesn't suck is unhelpful. The One X may suck down the line when they try to upgrade it beyond its capabilities, because Sense is quite bloaty. At that point, a custom ROM will solve the problems on a device with nice hardware, very much like it did for the Desire.

Negator

So I'm eligible for an upgrade in exactly five days, and I'm pretty sure that I will be buying an Evo 4G LTE.

Some questions:

Wimax is not going to work, and I won't have 4G until Sprint activates LTE in my area(?)

The battery cover is locked in and I can't open it myself in case the phone black screen crashes, right?

kinggroin

Banned

No of course not. The choppy scroll is due to bad coding/optimization/caching

I bet with a third party launcher like wp7 launcher or Go Launcher (set to continuous vertical scroll), you'd see 60fps scrolling as well.

Is the sensation on ICS? If so, use apex launcher or nova launcher.

kehs

Banned
I can't believe Google let Mozilla beat them to flash integration on mobile.

: O

If all updates come from Google I will probably bite.

Probably not, I think Vizio has an overlay for it, but for something like the Google TV I don't really mind not having super latest version. The revue is still on 3.2 and it does everything it needs to (except have apps *rimshot).

I already pulled out of the kickstarter btw, it wouldn't surprise me if this ships before the kickstarter does. Cable box integration, plus cheaper to boot.

kehs

Banned
The Vizio remote has a dpad + gaming buttons. Yay. Though it doesn't look ultra comfortable, but I'll make due for my testrisphere.

specs-costar-marquee-5.jpg

It also looks like the standalone box won't have Vizio's overlay. Not sure if that's good or bad yet.

Preorder starts in july, hope that means july 1, free shipping too. excite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom