• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
$99 plus free shipping? These guys want me to go down on them.

I mean, uh. Pretty cool.

Anyways the remote is a non-issue no matter how good or bad, the Android remote app and Bluetooth pairing with a Wiimote are better solutions. But it's good to know they're thinking of this thing playing games at all.

SimleuqiR

specs-costar-marquee-5.jpg

It also looks like the standalone box won't have Vizio's overlay. Not sure if that's good or bad yet.

Preorder starts in july, hope that means july 1, free shipping too. excite.

No overlay means pure Google, no? Why would that be bad?
Amazon, Netflix, Hulu+? All I need is XBMC to be ported to Android and the circle will be complete.

kehs

Banned
No overlay means pure Google, no? Why would that be bad?
Amazon, Netflix, Hulu+? All I need is XBMC to be ported to Android and the circle will be complete.

I'm kinda digging what Vizio is doing with the overlay on the TVs to be honest. Kinda want to give it a spin, as the default google tv is a little drab since it's honeycombed out.

SimleuqiR

I'm kinda digging what Vizio is doing with the overlay on the TVs to be honest. Kinda want to give it a spin, as the default google tv is a little drab since it's honeycombed out.

Would these new boxes still be stuck on Honeycomb? WTF? What happen to the ONE OS for everything?

gcubed

Or ICS/Sense was shoehorned onto the device in a half-assed way.

The point is, to say "don't get a Sense device - they suck" when there's clearly a Sense device that doesn't suck is unhelpful. The One X may suck down the line when they try to upgrade it beyond its capabilities, because Sense is quite bloaty. At that point, a custom ROM will solve the problems on a device with nice hardware, very much like it did for the Desire.

HTC makes pretty widgets but a horrendous UI. OneX has some great hardware (in the US arguably the best because of the screen) just poor software.

As a poster who appreciated WP7s UI I took liberty in assuming he likes a nice UI. To tell someone to buy a new phone and install a custom ROM on it is counterproductive and exactly why Android gets a bad rap.

kehs

Banned
Would these new boxes still be stuck on Honeycomb? WTF? What happen to the ONE OS for everything?

I would hope not, but that's what it looks like. To be fair though, there isn't much stuff added to ICS that a stationary set top box would benefit from.

This might be my first foray into 3d, both this and my projector can do 3d. hah.

HTC makes pretty widgets but a horrendous UI. OneX has some great hardware (in the US arguably the best because of the screen) just poor software.

As a poster who appreciated WP7s UI I took liberty in assuming he likes a nice UI. To tell someone to buy a new phone and install a custom ROM on it is counterproductive and exactly why Android gets a bad rap.

The correct advice is to buy a new phone and install a WP launcher.

Talon

I think his point is that it's wrong-footed to say that anything with Sense is a horrendous experience.

elseanio

Looking for some help from someone who has Xperia S with the new ICS update:

Everytime I restart my phone, the keyboard defaults to Xperia Keyboard. I have Swiftkey 3 installed, and want that to always be my default. After a restart, I need to go to Settings > Language & input > Default and select SwiftKey 3

Also, does anyone know if I can disable 'page overview' layout every time I navigate to a new site? Would prefer it to be zoomed in a bit.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Makes sense honestly. I know they'd like another Fall release, but the Fire being a "cool new thing" has definitely passed. They were losing mindshare anyways, but could ride it out as a cheaper goto option for a smaller device.

If Google launches its rumored 7" Nexus device there goes that angle though as the Fire would seem old in comparison. Plus not like the hardware would change that much verses holding it back for Fall. Gotta strike back while they can.

giga

Crazy prediction: Kindle Fire 2 is actually the Nexus 7. That is, the "Kindle Fire" has been canned and Amazon and Google are teaming up to sell it.

No, that would be way too smart for Jeff Bezos

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Crazy prediction: Kindle Fire 2 is actually the Nexus 7. That is, the "Kindle Fire" has been canned and Amazon and Google are teaming up to sell it.

No, that would be way too smart for Jeff Bezos

How would Amazon make any money off of this though? Problem with 7" tablets is the margins are rather thin if you want to sell them at a cheap price. Amazon figured it would make the money back through their ecosystem.

How do they do that if they team up with Google?

giga

How would Amazon make any money off of this though? Problem with 7" tablets is the margins are rather thin if you want to sell them at a cheap price. Amazon figured it would make the money back through their ecosystem.

Amazon apps bundled. Larry page's absense is from bezo's poison.

kehs

Banned

Amazon prime, amazon digital/mp3s.

Google tv ships with Amazon Video, and the first Nexus shipped with Amazon mp3 store.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
The Vizio remote has a dpad + gaming buttons. Yay. Though it doesn't look ultra comfortable, but I'll make due for my testrisphere.

specs-costar-marquee-5.jpg

It also looks like the standalone box won't have Vizio's overlay. Not sure if that's good or bad yet.

Preorder starts in july, hope that means july 1, free shipping too. excite.

It doesn't say how much internal storage it has. :|

The revue's wifi radio is kinda crappy. It can see my wifi then refuses to connect to it. I threw it against a wall then it connected.

kehs

Banned
It doesn't say how much internal storage it has. :|

The revue's wifi radio is kinda crappy. It can see my wifi then refuses to connect to it. I threw it against a wall then it connected.

I would expect at least 4-8 gigs internal, considering you have $99 android stick shipping with the same. I'm not too worried about internal since everything I view is on a NAS, and the revue isn't close to being filled through apps (what app? lol).

kehs

Banned
How long has cm RC been out for the GN? It'll have to wait until after JB update for me.

Google read Coppy's mind. Or his post here, by virtue of Google ads backdoor access.

I should totally disconnect from Google, they'd be in shambles.

jobber

I would expect at least 4-8 gigs internal, considering you have $99 android stick shipping with the same. I'm not too worried about internal since everything I view is on a NAS, and the revue isn't close to being filled through apps (what app? lol).

You must not use play music on your revue. Music attempts to download every album cover to your revue's internal storage until you run out of space. It's been that way since it was released. It's no fix for it and the only way to stop it is to clear the music's data and delete the album art folder. If you delete just the folder, on the next sync, it downloads the art again.

As far as apps go, I've been using dropbox to upload apks from my phone to the revue. I have 30 apps installed that aren't on the gtv's market. The widgets come in handy.

Pctx

Banned
Holy fning shit. I just flashed to ICS on my skyrocket via Odin one click and it is awesome!!!!!!!!!!

Giddy as a school boy!

kehs

Banned
You must not use play music on your revue. Music attempts to download every album cover to your revue's internal storage until you run out of space. It's been that way since it was released. It's no fix for it and the only way to stop it is to clear the music's data and delete the album art folder. If you delete just the folder, on the next sync, it downloads the art again.

As far as apps go, I've been using dropbox to upload apks from my phone to the revue. I have 30 apps installed that aren't on the gtv's market. The widgets come in handy.

I don't think I've ever used the music app on the google tv actually, I usually just hook up my phone to audio system. Doesn't the app let you stream music though, can't see myself pinning alot of stuff if I'm on wifi all the time.

Android is already bone-stock on Galaxy Nexus. I don't know what I would use CM for on it. It's pretty sweet on my Touchpad though.

There's alot of small stuff I miss from CM, like track changing with volume keys, or keeping 3rd party launcher in memory, and I want to start messing around with nav bar mods. I haven't rooter/unlocked yet so I'd have to wipe everything and I didn't want to do it until I move to CM stable.

There's alot of small stuff I miss from CM, like track changing with volume keys, or keeping 3rd party launcher in memory, and I want to start messing around with nav bar mods. I haven't rooter/unlocked yet so I'd have to wipe everything and I didn't want to do it until I move to CM stable.

Huh. I've been using PowerAmp so I don't know anything about that. I didn't know CM could force 3rd party launcher to remain in memory though, that seems useful if you use a 3rd party launcher.

I'm actually using Leankernel 3.9.0 with stock 4.0.4 + rooted, deodexed, zipaligned + tethering unlocker mod + Facebook sync unlocker mod + advanced Power button menu. It does everything I need it to do, I don't even notice the difference between it and CM9 on my TP.

Angst

It's in CM9 now. At least it is on my Galaxy S2. CM9 is as good as a RC today.

jobber

I don't think I've ever used the music app on the google tv actually, I usually just hook up my phone to audio system. Doesn't the app let you stream music though, can't see myself pinning alot of stuff if I'm on wifi all the time.

The music app streams your google music library but it also downloads album covers with no way to stop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom