• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
HTC makes pretty widgets but a horrendous UI. OneX has some great hardware (in the US arguably the best because of the screen) just poor software.

Again, some of the software they ship on the One X is great. Is it less efficient than it could be? Probably, but it doesn't matter that much, because the phone's powerful enough to take it in its stride, and it's a single click in the Play store to replace pretty much anything you don't like.

As a poster who appreciated WP7s UI I took liberty in assuming he likes a nice UI. To tell someone to buy a new phone and install a custom ROM on it is counterproductive and exactly why Android gets a bad rap.

Only that was a final option, not an initial suggestion. Buy the phone and run Sense on it is fine for the vast majority of people, because it's not as bad as you're saying, to the point that I doubt you've actually used a One X. If you really don't like it, you can replace the software on the stock ROM. The point is that even if you're deranged enough to have an almost religious hatred of Sense (does that describe anyone here?) you can buy the gorgeous hardware and run stock ICS on it, if that's what turns you on.

jokkir

Look, guys! (posted it in the IO thread as well)

08AKh.png

Achtius

It looks unnatural...if they have physical or capacitive buttons than yeah, but with onscreen buttons.. it makes the bezel EVEN thicker.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Tablets need a thick bezel. Why is that so hard to understand?

A thick bezel is one thing, which I agree with but that looks too thick on the bottom even more so than the top, which makes it awkward looking and feeling in landscape mode. Maybe its just me though.

ep85

A thick bezel is one thing, which I agree with but that looks too thick on the bottom even more so than the top, which makes it awkward looking and feeling in landscape mode. Maybe its just me though.

Uh, the top and the bottom probably have the same size bezel, the on screen buttons just make it look like the bottom is bigger.

3phemeral

Cross-thread pollination!

Google Maps' offline mode is SWEEEET:

sKj0L.png

You can adjust the size of the grid and it will estimate the amount of storage required. Seems the largest tile I'm able to create is just above 80MB.

kehs

Banned
Network service discovery

Android 4.1 adds support for multicast DNS-based service discovery, which allows you to find and connect to services offered by peer devices over Wi-Fi, such as mobile devices, printers, cameras, media players, and others that are registered on the local network.

The new package android.net.nsd contains the new APIs that allow you to broadcast your services on the local network, discover local devices on the network, and connect to devices.

To register your service, you must first create an NsdServiceInfo object and define the various properties of your service with methods such as setServiceName(), setServiceType(), and setPort().

Then you need to implement NsdManager.RegistrationListener and pass it to registerService() with your NsdServiceInfo.

To discover services on the network, implement NsdManager.DiscoveryListener and pass it to discoverServices().

When your NsdManager.DiscoveryListener receives callbacks about services found, you need to resolve the service by calling resolveService(), passing it an implementation of NsdManager.ResolveListener that receives an NsdServiceInfo object that contains information about the discovered service, allowing you to initiate the connection.

Gapless playback

You can now perform gapless playback between two separate MediaPlayer objects. At any time before your first MediaPlayer finishes, call setNextMediaPlayer() and Android attempts to start the second player the moment that the first one stops.

Brettison: System supports it, up to the apps to also support it.

Alright Android-Gaf, my Galaxy Nexus has arrived and I'm setting it up now, is there a list of recommended apps/addons/word clocks I should download right away?

kehs

Banned
App info from the notification bar for apps!

Ability to turn off all notifications for an app from settings!

Awesome.

gcubed

Again, some of the software they ship on the One X is great. Is it less efficient than it could be? Probably, but it doesn't matter that much, because the phone's powerful enough to take it in its stride, and it's a single click in the Play store to replace pretty much anything you don't like.

Only that was a final option, not an initial suggestion. Buy the phone and run Sense on it is fine for the vast majority of people, because it's not as bad as you're saying, to the point that I doubt you've actually used a One X. If you really don't like it, you can replace the software on the stock ROM. The point is that even if you're deranged enough to have an almost religious hatred of Sense (does that describe anyone here?) you can buy the gorgeous hardware and run stock ICS on it, if that's what turns you on.

it definitely describes me. I've used Sense on the One X. I'm not saying it doesnt preform well, i'm saying its ugly... clearly i'm not alone, but in the end its just my opinion.

it definitely describes me. I've used Sense on the One X. I'm not saying it doesnt preform well, i'm saying its ugly... clearly i'm not alone, but in the end its just my opinion.

That describes me too and use sense 4.0 ..dayam its ugly.. it does suck, I actually prefer touchwiz.
With custom rom you can remove it and put stock ICS, but you also lose some of good part of sense, like the camera app and certain functionality that sense offers..best is to have like a hybrid.

So I've been using my new phone for an hour or so. Not sure what I think yet except that it's not drastically different than using an iPhone.

Cudder

Holy fucking shit.

I don't know if it's because I flashed 4.0.4 yesterday or got a new Galaxy Nexus yesterday or WHAT but Facebook push notifications are now working for me on my phone. This is like, megaton worthy.

Has anyone else noticed this?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Holy fucking shit.

I don't know if it's because I flashed 4.0.4 yesterday or got a new Galaxy Nexus yesterday or WHAT but Facebook push notifications are now working for me on my phone. This is like, megaton worthy.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Got it a couple days ago, alone with it making the LED blue for its notifications on my GNex.

kinggroin

Banned
Most of the differences you'll see as you start interacting with stuff in between apps, emails, etc.

If he uses the phone the way he would an iPhone, I'm not surprised by his findings. Leveraging the strengths of the platform to handle your daily tasks/routine is what's key.

Of course, if all he does is browse the web and Facebook.....

Most of the differences you'll see as you start interacting with stuff in between apps, emails, etc.

Yeah, I'll definitely need to mess around with it more.

If he uses the phone the way he would an iPhone, I'm not surprised by his findings. Leveraging the strengths of the platform to handle your daily tasks/routine is what's key.

Of course, if all he does is browse the web and Facebook.....

I won't just be using it for Facebook and the web, but thanks for assuming that! As for your first sentence, I'm new to Android so of course I'm going to start using it like I usually use my phones.

Zeppu

They haven't, and do not work, for a vast majority of Android users. Push notifications have always been finicky on Android.

Wut? FB push notifications, maybe. Everything else, no. Also, FB push notifications have worked perfectly since they introduced them for me.

Poyunch

Guys I need help picking a new phone. It's between the Razr (not the MAXX) and the Rezound. I'm having trouble picking. The Rezound seems to have a better display (but that doesn't really matter too much to me) and I can get a replaceable/extended battery for it. The Razr has a better design though, and since I'm terrible with screens I would like the comfort of knowing that the screen is gorilla glass.

So help me out gaf, Razr or Rezound. I have only a few hours to pick. My brother is ordering them soon.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Guys I need help picking a new phone. It's between the Razr (not the MAXX) and the Rezound. I'm having trouble picking. The Rezound seems to have a better display (but that doesn't really matter too much to me) and I can get a replaceable/extended battery for it. The Razr has a better design though, and since I'm terrible with screens I would like the comfort of knowing that the screen is gorilla glass.

So help me out gaf, Razr or Rezound. I have only a few hours to pick. My brother is ordering them soon.

Galaxy Nexus

Get the Rezound if you plan to root, unlock bootloader, and install custom roms.

Get the Razr if you just plan to run it stock.

Cudder

Wut? FB push notifications, maybe. Everything else, no. Also, FB push notifications have worked perfectly since they introduced them for me.

Yes, I'm talking about FB strictly.

Maybe because they work for you is the reason you don't know that they don't work for a lot of other people. It's a widespread problem, and just researching it on other forums and stuff you'll see a bunch of people trying to create loop holes and tricks so FB push notifications start working on their Android phone.

Darkkn

So now that Chrome is THE Android browser, does it actually perform as smoothly as the old stock browser or does it just suck on galaxy s3? They got some work to do when GAF mobile scrolling is occasionally choppy/laggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom