• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Interesting. It seems the pre-cache option for Youtube is only available on phones. I don't see that option on my tf101.

I didn't see it on the tf300 either. In fact...I don't see the sidebar announced either. It looks exactly like the youtube app from last week. (yes I updated)

Alright Android-Gaf, my Galaxy Nexus has arrived and I'm setting it up now, is there a list of recommended apps/addons/word clocks I should download right away?

I'm not a big app guy, I download maybe 1 a month but here are a few your should start out with

amazon appstore (free app every day) and ics browser+ (much better than chrome) and airdroid to transfer stuff over wifi.

Zeppu

Yes, I'm talking about FB strictly.

Maybe because they work for you is the reason you don't know that they don't work for a lot of other people. It's a widespread problem, and just researching it on other forums and stuff you'll see a bunch of people trying to create loop holes and tricks so FB push notifications start working on their Android phone.

FB app is still dumb as fuck though. It doesn't clear the notifications if you view them on another device and will push them to the app even though you clear them as soon as they show up on the page. The text snippet on the notification is useless. Pressing it will take you to the notifications screen instead of the item in question, and the app itself will sometimes not clear the red badge. Messages don't get push notifications either.

God I hate that app. It's slowly becoming slightly better, but it's still crap overall.

I don't know why, but the Galaxy Nexus is suddenly in the battle for my next phone. It doesn't look anywhere near as good as the white Xperia S (imo), but being able to use a charging dock is really appealing to me. Probably the only good thing Samsung does with their phones is putting the MicroUSB port where it belongs. How's the battery life?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I don't know why, but the Galaxy Nexus is suddenly in the battle for my next phone. It doesn't look anywhere near as good as the white Xperia S (imo), but being able to use a charging dock is really appealing to me. Probably the only good thing Samsung does with their phones is putting the MicroUSB port where it belongs. How's the battery life?

Not fantastic...

kehs

Banned
Google: Death of the menu button!

Currents team, now we have two menu buttons!

Screenshot_2012-06-27-20-22-48.png

kehs

Banned
The GSM version isn't too bad with the battery. It'll top out at about 3.5 hours of screen-on usage, but I routinely go overnight without charging, enough to get to work and charge there.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
4.0.4 also improved the idle time a lot. Like, you can leave it on a desk, on, unplugged for like six hours and it'll only go down 1-2%.

DXPett1

Facebook notifications magically started working for me in the middle of last week.

Same here, don't know what changed but push notifications work for all things Facebook for me now :\

I did notice in my apps on the desktop Facebook page I now have Facebook for iPhone, which was never there previously...

The Nexus has bad battery life?? Well shit. I've been eyeing that Play Store page off and on all evening.

LTE version doesn't have good battery.

Play store (gsm) version has great battery life.

The GSM version isn't too bad with the battery. It'll top out at about 3.5 hours of screen-on usage, but I routinely go overnight without charging, enough to get to work and charge there.

Same here. I once got 4 hours of screen time, but I was on the thing the whole 4 hours. 24 hours with 3 hours screen is usual i would say.

kinggroin

Banned
Yeah, I'll definitely need to mess around with it more.

I won't just be using it for Facebook and the web, but thanks for assuming that! As for your first sentence, I'm new to Android so of course I'm going to start using it like I usually use my phones.

I didn't assume anything. I said "if", and it was mostly in jest.

And to clarify the first part, I simply meant that since all you're used to is IOS, you'd have to play with it before really taking advantage of Android's strengths. It wasn't meant to be condescending.

Remember, you're the one that said it mostly felt the same, when its actually not.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Crawling back would mean I was ever in the Android camp to begin with. That's not the case.

OK, so you're crawling away from the burning wreckage of WP7 and towards your bright Android future. Is that a better way to say it? :D

celebi23

Since this is an Android thread, I'm hoping this is kinda on topic. I'm trying to create a simple gallery viewing app but, since I'm not that familiar with Android coding, I'm having some issues. Anyone know of a sample that could get me started? Thanks!

Higher-resolution contact photos

With Android 4.1, you can store contact photos that are as large as 720 x 720
, making contacts even richer and more personal. Apps can store and retrieve contact photos at that size or use any other size needed. The maximum photo size supported on specific devices may vary, so apps should query the built-in contacts provider at run time to obtain the max size for the current device.
pop champagne

Swig_

My gfs Evo4g fell and now has Web cracks all over the screen. It still works, but she really wants the screen fixed. I called sprint a and they're saying that basically repair is not an option and that she will have to buy a new phone. I saw screen repair kits on Amazon for about ten bucks. Is repairing the phone myself a fairly easy thing to do or would I want to just get her a new phone? I'm not sure what the warranty is, but she has had it for six or seven months.

gcubed

did anyone notice that the voice changed in navigation? Instead of using text 2 speech its using native language. In Denver the last few days, noticed it instantly after the update

tokkun

did anyone notice that the voice changed in navigation? Instead of using text 2 speech its using native language. In Denver the last few days, noticed it instantly after the update

It changed for me a long time ago. At least a couple months.

gcubed

So, is the Verizon Nexus essentially like not having a Nexus at all?

Are Verizon Nexus owners going to wait 6 months to a year for updates like non-Nexus phones.

its not out for all google play store devices. Only for the devices that were given out at I/O, which came with an older build that was upgraded to the preview release. The Galaxy Nexus LTE is the best you'll get from Verizon at this point. It will always be the first on Verizon to get upgrades, but it will be a month or more behind the GSM version. Im curious to see how Google handles the next wave of Nexus devices. Something has to give on the largest carrier in the US

It changed for me a long time ago. At least a couple months.

im pretty sure i would have noticed. I clearly didn't though.

Socreges

Banned
So a customer service agent (Rogers) was just telling me that Samsung is likely going to start releasing their phones with their own OS at some point in maybe the next year or two.

Any truth to this? Any timeline? Total bullshit?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So a customer service agent (Rogers) was just telling me that Samsung is likely going to start releasing their phones with their own OS at some point in maybe the next year or two.

Total BS unless they want to end up like Nokia.

Crawling back would mean I was ever in the Android camp to begin with. That's not the case.

I find it hilarious that you are loyal to a company which has discarded two mobile platforms in the space of two years. At least with Android you know it's going to be around getting sued by Apple and MS until the end of time. 1 million activations per day and still rising!

Samsung has had their own smartphone platform called Bada for years now. It's their little plaything but Samsung's increasingly close relationship with Google suggest that it will never be anything more than their little plaything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom