• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
Samsung has had their own smartphone platform called Bada for years now. It's their little plaything but Samsung's increasingly close relationship with Google suggest that it will never be anything more than their little plaything.
Wish I could speak to the same sales rep that told me about this mysterious Samsung OS that hasn't been released yet. If she's going to be discouraging customers from buying the GS3 (why?), she'd better get her facts straight.

DarkFlow

Banned
So I'm really digging JB, it really is butter smooth so far on my nexus. Google now is also fun to play with so far, sounds much more human then Siri, and very fast.

I find it hilarious that you are loyal to a company which has discarded two mobile platforms in the space of two years. At least with Android you know it's going to be around getting sued by Apple and MS until the end of time. 1 million activations per day and still rising!

Owner of a device = fanboy.

I wish it was always that easy.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
brotkasten, it's time to join the winning team and become a Googlebot. Resistance is truly futile.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
QBKing77: Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Full Review! -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE1WxgYtqqA

Wow, incredible. The paging through the launcher was blazing, I could have sworn he sped the actual video up. The animations like the fading on the notification pulldown and app launching is just a phenomenal level of polish. There's no way this gets anything less than glowing reviews.

Zeppu

Wow, incredible. The paging through the launcher was blazing, I could have sworn he sped the actual video up. The animations like the fading on the notification pulldown and app launching is just a phenomenal level of polish. There's no way this gets anything less than glowing reviews.

Are you kidding? It's terrible. It's got widgets and customization which has the potential to cause some users to end up with aesthetically unpleasant homescreens from the perspective of other people looking at it even though it'll be functionally superior.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Are you kidding? It's terrible. It's got widgets and customization which has the potential to cause some users to end up with aesthetically unpleasant homescreens when from the perspective of other people looking at it even though it'll be functionally superior.

Of course, what was I thinking. Androd's a fad and niche for geeks who love that customization crap. What we need is a company doing the thinking for us.

Are you kidding? It's terrible. It's got widgets and customization which has the potential to cause some users to end up with aesthetically unpleasant homescreens when from the perspective of other people looking at it even though it'll be functionally superior.

Death to all homescreens!

Nicktendo86

So downloaded Jelly Bean this morning from XDA thinking it probably wouldn't work but it did! Loving it so far, just a couple of apps don't seem to work (BBC iplayer, Skype) but other than that is great. It is butter smooth apart from when you flick quickly between widgets but otherwise is like greased lightning.

I'm at work so not been able to test the voice but I have been asking google questions in the search bar and love the little card answers. For some reason it didn't know who the British Prime Minister was but I might have worded the question in a way it didn't like.

So far then so good, great job Google!

So I was talking to my regular source at Sony, they are currently weighing up Jelly Bean for 2012 high end devices (Xperia S/P/U/Sola). The source said that they hope that they will be able to roll out JB to all four devices.

Edit: Just got a message back about the winter devices, source says that they want to launch the Q4 flagship in Europe and the US (LT30i/a) with Jelly Bean preloaded. Part of the reason they have not shown it yet is that they have been waiting to port Jelly Bean to the device and show it initially with JB rather than ICS.

If he is right then I think Sony will be one of a few companies to offer a JB phone out of the box in that is not Nexus branded.

Blackhead

Redarse
So I was talking to my regular source at Sony, they are currently weighing up Jelly Bean for 2012 high end devices (Xperia S/P/U/Sola). The source said that they hope that they will be able to roll out JB to all four devices.

Edit: Just got a message back about the winter devices, source says that they want to launch the Q4 flagship in Europe and the US (LT30i/a) with Jelly Bean preloaded. Part of the reason they have not shown it yet is that they have been waiting to port Jelly Bean to the device and show it initially with JB rather than ICS.

If he is right then I think Sony will be one of a few companies to offer a JB phone out of the box in that is not Nexus branded.

What about the rumor of 5 Nexus devices from different manufacturers coming in Q4?

Also tell your source that I want that Xperia SX released internationally to replace my Xperia Ray ;)

What about the rumor of 5 Nexus devices from different manufacturers coming in Q4?

Also tell your source that I want that Xperia SX released internationally to replace my Xperia Ray ;)

He hasn't mentioned any kind of Sony Nexus, I would say that there isn't much chance that there will be a Sony Nexus. For Sony their differentiation comes from the slick interface and extra services through Music/Video Unlimited and PS-Mobile preloaded on the device. Nexus doesn't allow any of that and what (I think) the plan entails is for Sony to release a JB device and update the 2012 high end devices to JB before other competitors so they get a reputation for supporting and updating devices.

Oh, I should add that he said the international Xperia Ion LTE/HSPA+ is also being considered for JB, but the US Ion LTE depends on AT&T and who knows whether they will go for it or how long they will take to roll it out. AT&T delayed the roll out of the Ion by two months and even then they didn't launch it with ICS even though the International Ion ships with ICS.

The Xperia SX is a Japan only device, it has Japan only features like 1-Seg and Infrared TV control. An international device would have to remove these features, and since that would give it less complex internals they could make it smaller (remove the top part of the bezel) or make the screen slightly larger and that requires a whole new design. IMO it is not worth it since the difference between the SX and the P is not very large.

Blackhead

Redarse
He hasn't mentioned any kind of Sony Nexus, I would say that there isn't much chance that there will be a Sony Nexus. For Sony their differentiation comes from the slick interface and extra services through Music/Video Unlimited and PS-Mobile preloaded on the device. Nexus doesn't allow any of that and what (I think) the plan entails is for Sony to release a JB device and update the 2012 high end devices to JB before other competitors so they get a reputation for supporting and updating devices.

Oh, I should add that he said the international Xperia Ion LTE/HSPA+ is also being considered for JB, but the US Ion LTE depends on AT&T and who knows whether they will go for it or how long they will take to roll it out. AT&T delayed the roll out of the Ion by two months and even then they didn't launch it with ICS even though the International Ion ships with ICS.

The Xperia SX is a Japan only device, it has Japan only features like 1-Seg and Infrared TV control. An international device would have to remove these features, and since that would give it less complex internals they could make it smaller (remove the top part of the bezel) or make the screen slightly larger and that requires a whole new design. IMO it is not worth it since the difference between the SX and the P is not very large.
Nah man, the difference is significant to me.

The SX is clearly smaller than the P. The SX has about the same width and thickness as the Ray. The Ray fits in the coin pocket of my pants (like the HP Veer before it) but the P doesn't. I don't think a redesign of the SX casing for an international version would be necessary. The screen is already big enough; it's a 3.7" 'retina class' display (technically 298 ppi, like the Ray, but that's close enough to 300 ppi). I'd love a dedicated camera button too, and an led notifier, but the specs are good as is. If sony doesn't announce any plans for an international version I'll seriously consider importing the Japanese SX provided it can be unlocked (it takes simcards for lte right?) and rooted.

Sony makes the best mid to low range Android phones imo especially when backed with the promise of updates. It's harder to consider Sony at the high end though because they are usually behind in specs by a generation :/ and nothing really to differentiate it from the Nexus devices like, say, an S-pen.

Can we expect JB in Q3?

tino

Banned
Owner of a device = fanboy.

I wish it was always that easy.

The only way the to being a fanboy you have to own multiple platforms. I am speaking from experience.

This is the case for DSLR; this is the case for video game consoles. This is the case for smartphones.

Can we expect JB in Q3?

Well October is Q4, and I would have thought that they would want to ship the devices first and then update the older ones afterwards. At the moment the source says that they are assessing whether the Xperia S/P/U/Sola/Ion can take JB, I'm certain they can and in which case they will publish a roll out schedule. He did not mention any 2011 devices, but with them being single core and having weak graphics they may not be able to handle the graphical demands of the OS with project butter forming a main part of JB.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The international Ion shipped with ICS? I have one from Hong Kong, it shipped with gingerbread.

Anywhoo, your GIGANTIC news for the day:

http://www.gsmarena.com/exclusive_g...ins_narrower_than_original_note-news-4455.php

We already knew that a successor to the wildly successful Galaxy Note is already in the works and that it might feature a 5.5" AMOLED. Now, an insider source, who we have good reasons to trust has send us a tip, saying the screen size is now confirmed.
The Galaxy Note 2 will indeed sport a 5.5-inch Super AMOLED and a design inspired by the Galaxy S III flagship smartphone. Interestingly, even though the screen size is larger than the original Note, the width of the Note 2 is actually reduced compared to its predecessor.Even more interestingly, the release date of the Note 2 has been moved to September, rather than the previously rumored October. The reason for the switch is Samsung's desire to bring the Note 2 to the market before Apple releases the iPhone 5 in October, thus stealing some users from the Cupertino-based company.
The rumors of an 8MP camera with improved sensor, as well as 1.5 GB of RAM, along with a new Exynos 5250 chipset, featuring a dual-core ARM-15 processor remain unconfirmed at this point.

Well October is Q4, and I would have thought that they would want to ship the devices first and then update the older ones afterwards. At the moment the source says that they are assessing whether the Xperia S/P/U/Sola/Ion can take JB, I'm certain they can and in which case they will publish a roll out schedule. He did not mention any 2011 devices, but with them being single core and having weak graphics they may not be able to handle the graphical demands of the OS with project butter forming a main part of JB.

October for JB on the Xperia S doesn't sound too hot, considering the GNexus gets it in July.

kharma45

He did not mention any 2011 devices, but with them being single core and having weak graphics they may not be able to handle the graphical demands of the OS with project butter forming a main part of JB.

If the Nexus S can handle it no reason the 2011 devices from Sony can't.

The international Ion shipped with ICS? I have one from Hong Kong, it shipped with gingerbread.

In Singapore it shipped with ICS I think, so it must depend on the region.

October for JB on the Xperia S doesn't sound too hot, considering the GNexus gets it in July.

It's not really fair to compare the GNex with any other phone as it uses stock Android and Google themselves have been working off that for the initial build. October is pretty good for Xperia S (if that is the timetable), I think they will beat HTC and probably Samsung if that is the timetable. I would be very surprised if the One X got JB before the end of 2012, and if the One S got it at all.

If the Nexus S can handle it no reason the 2011 devices from Sony can't.

Depends on the skin I suppose. Stock uses less resources than skinned Android.

tino

Banned
Wait, the new Youtube app can cache watch it later list? I enabled it but it doesn't download? Anyone get the offline mode working?

The GSM version isn't too bad with the battery. It'll top out at about 3.5 hours of screen-on usage, but I routinely go overnight without charging, enough to get to work and charge there.

For what it's worth, with AOKP+Franco Kernel, I can get a good 6 hours of video playback.

It's not really fair to compare the GNex with any other phone as it uses stock Android and Google themselves have been working off that for the initial build. October is pretty good for Xperia S (if that is the timetable), I think they will beat HTC and probably Samsung if that is the timetable. I would be very surprised if the One X got JB before the end of 2012, and if the One S got it at all.

It might not be fair, but that's how it is. I finally see why getting an Android phone can be such a pain. You either get a great device like the Xperia S and have to wait or get a mediocre device like the GNexus and get updates when they're done.

It might not be fair, but that's how it is. I finally see why getting an Android phone can be such a pain. You either get a great device like the Xperia S and have to wait or get a mediocre device like the GNexus and get updates when they're done.

Wait for the new (hopefully 5) Nexus phones coming at the end of the year.

Futureman

not too familiar with the Xperia S.

Looked over the specs real quick and I don't see exactly why the S is great and the GNex is mediocre?

Looked over the specs real quick and I don't see exactly why the S is great and the GNex is mediocre?

For me it's more about the design than specs. The Nexus even got a better GPU, but I don't really care about that either. Other than that, the Xperia has a higher DPI screen and probably the better camera.

E: Then again, it would be nice to have an AMOLED display again. :/

Price for both phones is the same here.

Hey, does anyone have a simple guide to rooting an Xperia Play (Verizon)? I'm getting rather tired of my phone lacking memory, so I plan on setting my SD card as internal memory (which I will also need instructions for).

mkenyon

Banned
Nexus 7 pre-ordered.

Holy crap at that Galaxy Note 2. I love my Note, and would love to upgrade, but it's still so amazing that it seems silly to do so.

Better camera, better screen, better design, possibly better ICS. The biggest downside is that it is Scorpion rather than Krait and that it won't get JB until Q4 after Sony's Q4 devices are out.

rozay

Banned

Do you know if the LT30 design will be more like the Ion/GX or more like the S?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Keeping my Note 1. I use on screen buttons and the hardware is just fine for now.

TeegsD

So I saw that Jelly Bean was going to be available on the Nexus S. Is that true? If so, does that mean that the rest of the Galaxy S OG line will be able to get JB? Also is there any rumors of a new Nexus phone in development.

Ephemeris

That's a default ICS one. Phase Beam I think.
Yup. I even grabbed a copy of it off the Play store for free.

So I saw that Jelly Bean was going to be available on the Nexus S. Is that true? If so, does that mean that the rest of the Galaxy S OG line will be able to get JB? Also is there any rumors of a new Nexus phone in development.

1) Yes.
2) No idea. Doubtful?
3) None that I've heard

Toki767

1) Yes.
2) No idea. Doubtful?
3) None that I've heard

1) Nexus S will be straight from Google
2) XDA will probably have builds for the original Galaxy S series since those are already running ICS without a hitch.
3) I believe Samsung is already contracted for the next Nexus phone. There is a rumor going around about those 5 Nexus devices coming in the Fall though we don't know how many are phones and how many are tablets.

3phemeral

I'm finally getting re-situated with web-based Google Play and I think it's pretty sad how it's easier for me to install apps from the browser than it is from my phone. For some reason, my apps haven't auto-downloaded at all and I have to select each one manually, which entails:
1) Go to Not Installed history
2) select app
3) install app
4) hit back
5) scroll all the way down to the last app you saw (if you're ignoring apps you no longer want installed)
6) Repeat

gimmmick

My cousin attended google I/O yesterday and today and she got a shit load of free shit from them. A free galaxy nexus (which is coming my way :)), the nexus tablet, the nexus Q and chrome book. Must be nice to be nice to be associated with the industry. (she's a senior director, global media at HTC).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom