• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFlow

Banned
It might not be fair, but that's how it is. I finally see why getting an Android phone can be such a pain. You either get a great device like the Xperia S and have to wait or get a mediocre device like the GNexus and get updates when they're done.
How is the Nexus "mediocre"? It's faster then 98% of android phones out there.

mkenyon

Banned
Keeping my Note 1. I use on screen buttons and the hardware is just fine for now.
Same. Getting the Nexus 7 to do the few jobs the Note isn't quite right for. Still, Note is my #1 most favorite piece of tech ever, and I spend a *lot* of money on computer parts. I just really really really want ICS and Chrome. Only gripe with the phone right now.

3phemeral

My cousin attended google I/O yesterday and today and she got a shit load of free shit from them. A free galaxy nexus (which is coming my way :)), the nexus tablet, the nexus Q and chrome book. Must be nice to be nice to be associated with the industry. (she's a senior director, global media at HTC).

I also noticed in the play store that they gave out something called an ADK? Looks like a cool, customizable/programmable clock or something.

Ephemeris

pop champagne

hot damn.

My cousin attended google I/O yesterday and today and she got a shit load of free shit from them. A free galaxy nexus (which is coming my way :)), the nexus tablet, the nexus Q and chrome book. Must be nice to be nice to be associated with the industry. (she's a senior director, global media at HTC).

Sell it to me!
SWEAR+TO+ME+_a8010a16ed90ce46d328631750c46a18.gif

TeegsD

1) Nexus S will be straight from Google
2) XDA will probably have builds for the original Galaxy S series since those are already running ICS without a hitch.
3) I believe Samsung is already contracted for the next Nexus phone. There is a rumor going around about those 5 Nexus devices coming in the Fall though we don't know how many are phones and how many are tablets.

Are those 5 devices supposed to be revealed at I/O?

Ephemeris

Come to think of it, they currently have 3 Nexus devices being offered on the site. I could see a 10 incher.. and because of the Q, that 5th slot could be anything.

Nexus... Watch. Refrigerator. 24inch TV. Or even a laptop (Chromebook who?) Maybe a Nexus autonomous vehicle.

Or a robot.

: |

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
so for the first time in months, I opened firefox on the evo3d and it ate up 159mb of internal space but the weird thing is.... it's installed on the sd card

DA FUCK

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Google Now |OT|
Android PDK |OT|
Nexus Q |OT|
Chromebooks at Best Buy |OT|
Magazines and TV on Google Play |OT|
Jellybean for Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus |OT|
Google Glass Explorer Edition |OT| Of rich priveleged mofos
Google Docs Offline |OT|
Google Drive iOS |OT|
Google Compute Engine |OT|
Project Butter |OT|

Ephemeris

Google Now |OT|
Android PDK |OT|
Nexus Q |OT|
Chromebooks at Best Buy |OT|
Magazines and TV on Google Play |OT|
Jellybean for Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus |OT|
Google Glass Explorer Edition |OT| Of rich priveleged mofos
Google Docs Offline |OT|
Google Drive iOS |OT|
Google Compute Engine |OT|
Project Butter |OT|

rAWgJ.gif

jokkir

For the App encryption, how would developers give out their app for free in giveaways now? Is it linked to their Play Store ID and whatnot?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
For the App encryption, how would developers give out their app for free in giveaways now? Is it linked to their Play Store ID and whatnot?

It's built into the Play Store. Developers will still be able to make APKs themselves and distribute them if they choose.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
It's built into the Play Store. Developers will still be able to make APKs themselves and distribute them if they choose.

What about apps that are free?

Being in Canada, I don't have access to google music, so I have to sideload it. Is that kind of thing still possible?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Probably not, since the Google Music app you're using was likely lifted from the Play Store. The current version should still work, but you probably won't be able to install further updates.

jokkir

Do you think it would depend on the developer? Because I don't see Google having DRM or something for Music (same problem as Divvy)

iavi

the widget?

I haven't even checked the widget yet.

Elaborate please!. :-D

Pics in a min! In general, it's a bit cleaner.

E:

Here you go

- playlists now have multiple album covers to a block
- The recent tracks pane is now grid based
- Now playing has an up/down vote for the auto DJ
- Play queue is now accessed with the button on the song title.
- The widget finally matches Holo

rozay

Banned
awempfbceaa3srp.jpg

Almost seems like a waste. But hey, it has the space.
you know, that actually looks really nice without samsung's theme and tweaks, and I feel like the buttons will be easier to use there than at the extreme bottom of the phone. Not interested in buying one until I see how fast updates pass through at&t though.

I know someone's going to stare in disbelief at what I just said about onscreen buttons, but when I used it I could consistently pop a bone in my thumb depending on how I held the S3 :p it's annoying

I dunno why but the new music player seems a little too busy for me with the amount of text/icons on screen compared to the old one. Let that text breathe a little...

3phemeral

I must be missing something, I don't see anything new in my Google Music other than the fancier black-glass-like widget and the Nexus Q integration in the settings menu.

iavi

The one thing that I'm noticing with Jellybean and it's 'Project Butter', though, is that the phone doesn't feel any faster than 4.04 - which isn't to say it's slow at all, as I had absolutely no stutter on that OS revision. There's just no perceptible boost here, which kinda sucks. Maybe phones with faster SOC's than the G Nexus will benefit more.

3phemeral

The one thing that I'm noticing with Jellybean and it's 'Project Butter', though, is that the phone doesn't feel any faster than 4.04 - which isn't to say it's slow at all, as I had absolutely no stutter on that OS revision. There's just no perceptible boost here, which kinda sucks. Maybe phones with faster SOC's than the G Nexus will benefit more.

Your 4.04 must have been a really clean version, because most people I know experienced some lag. It was definitely smooth for the most part, but I did have issues sometimes with lockscreen response time, recent apps pop-up, keyboard lag -- although, the keyboard lag might have been SwiftKey. SwiftKey 3 is soooo jelly now.

r1chard

Just bought me a GN to replace my S. Whee!

Can anyone recommend an exercise armband that fits the GN that won't cost the Earth in Australia (so I'm basically looking for a HK ebay seller...)

iavi

Your 4.04 must have been a really clean version, because most people I know experienced some lag. It was definitely smooth for the most part, but I did have issues sometimes with lockscreen response time, recent apps pop-up, keyboard lag -- although, the keyboard lag might have been SwiftKey. SwiftKey 3 is soooo jelly now.

It was an OTA installation, so maybe that had something to do with it? I'm also strict about closing cards I don't use.

Is there an apk for Google Now or the new Search? Or is it just built into JB?

Google Now isn't an app accessible from the tray, so I have no clue; I do think it's built in.

Doopliss

The elegance... the power... Chrome team should be embarrassed.

I haven't even checked the widget yet.

Pics in a min! In general, it's a bit cleaner.

E:

Here you go

- playlists now have multiple album covers to a block
- The recent tracks pane is now grid based
- Now playing has an up/down vote for the auto DJ
- Play queue is now accessed with the button on the song title.
- The widget finally matches Holo

Nice update. The large tabs always felt a bit clunky to me, and not having an action bar with the app icon made it lack a sense of place. It also looks like you can drag tracks in the Now Playing screen to quickly re-order them? I always liked having that feature in WinAmp.

MattDoza

Any of you duders or dudettes jump on the Xperia ion? There's a very small group of people on the android forums I browse that have bought it. Just wanting to hear some more non-reviewer impressions. $99 price point is hard for me to pass up.

DXPett1

It was an OTA installation, so maybe that had something to do with it? I'm also strict about closing cards I don't use.

Best way to demostrate lag in ICS was invoke a toast notification and quickly scroll through your homescreens. Lag everytime!

So I rooted my Sensation, it was pretty easy. SuperSU ftw!

Not sure what to do with it right now, I got Apex Launcher but I also want a decent homescreen, any recommendations?

Edit: I also uninstalled Facebook! It was the one that was part of the ROM. I then reinstalled it from Play, and now it doesn't have root privileges, I was also able to get rid of facebook chat and facebook for Sense.

Another question, are there any decent widgets for Apex Launcher? I don't have that many, I was looking for a decent weather one, if there is one that comes with an app that would be ok as well.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Went to the AT&T store to look around yesterday while I had some free time last night. Going to the lake house this weekend with my two best friends and my Fam, but I think I'll probably be back at the AT&T store picking something up in the next week or so.

If only I knew who was going to get official JB 1st then it would make my decision easier between two phones. Hmmmmm

gcubed

Went to the AT&T store to look around yesterday while I had some free time last night. Going to the lake house this weekend with my two best friends and my Fam, but I think I'll probably be back at the AT&T store picking something up in the next week or so.

If only I knew who was going to get official JB 1st then it would make my decision easier between two phones. Hmmmmm

The "Att" part is what screws it all up. I'd say its a toss up between the 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom