• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimleuqiR

I haven't even checked the widget yet.

Pics in a min! In general, it's a bit cleaner.

E:

Here you go

- playlists now have multiple album covers to a block
- The recent tracks pane is now grid based
- Now playing has an up/down vote for the auto DJ
- Play queue is now accessed with the button on the song title.
- The widget finally matches Holo

Does the Music app still download the music files like this: 0001.mp3, 0002.mp3, 0003.mp3, etc.?

I'm dying for them to allow real file names and tags on these files!! This would at least allow other third-party players to use them properly.

My home screen post rooting!

i0hWkTH5V9yo2.png

So much better than Sense. Still never going to get a HTC again, I had to hassle around a lot to get widgets working for Apex Launcher as I had to root the phone. My phone experience is 100x better now!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The "Att" part is what screws it all up. I'd say its a toss up between the 2.

I'm so conflicted. I think the extra RAM + on all 4 carriers = faster JB update for the GS3. Plus I think the phone has less issues than the One X stock. Amazon has the One X on the cheap low though so I'd save 80 bones with free shipping on that bitch.

gcubed

I'm so conflicted. I think the extra RAM + on all 4 carriers = faster JB update for the GS3. Plus I think the phone has less issues than the One X stock. Amazon has the One X on the cheap low though so I'd save 80 bones with free shipping on that bitch.

yeah, the GS3 is the better device if/when you get sick of skins also. I'm a little worried by how much Samsung integrated into the newest touchwiz and its delay in upgrading in the future

Vanillalite

yeah, the GS3 is the better device if/when you get sick of skins also. I'm a little worried by how much Samsung integrated into the newest touchwiz and its delay in upgrading in the future

That article from The Verge (yesterday I think?) about Samsung Engineers throwing in some extra RAM because they weren't sure about JB specs bodes well though. It at least means for JB they were already thinking ahead on getting that out and understood the funny idea of the GS3 launching right before/during/after JB gets shown/released.

Would be almost a no brainer for me if I wasn't a sucker for the unibody lumia like design of the white One X + the $119 price tag on amazon.

gcubed

That article from The Verge (yesterday I think?) about Samsung Engineers throwing in some extra RAM because they weren't sure about JB specs bodes well though. It at least means for JB they were already thinking ahead on getting that out and understood the funny idea of the GS3 launching right before/during/after JB gets shown/released.

Would be almost a no brainer for me if I wasn't a sucker for the unibody lumia like design of the white One X + the $119 price tag on amazon.

The 2 gig of RAM is hard to argue with. If you dont get something this weekend you can see what comes of the Atrix 3, which looks to be an awesome phone as well, with a less intrusive skin

jokkir

Awesome. Nexus S Jellybean prtially working

Whats working?

-Touchscreen
-Bluetooth
-GPU
-Camera
-Softkeys
-NFC
-Butter
-SDcard
-ADB
-USB

What's not working?

-Audio
-Wifi
-GSM
-libwvm
-More stuffs not working.

Vanillalite

Funk... I just saw a Note in the wild aka not at a store aka here at work... Someone just got one a week or two ago and showed it to me...

I don't think I'd like it but gosh dang that thing is seemed sooooo pimp. I didn't think I'd like the big massive screen or anything, but dang. The colors and the screen in general looked great. Plus OMG it was sooo big, but I was like OMG I can actually web browse on a non tiny screen.

Fuck GAF I sort of want that now, but I feel like it's old (in cell phone months) + expensive (for how old the device is). I just don't want to have to wait for the Note 2. :(

Funk... I just saw a Note in the wild aka not at a store aka here at work... Someone just got one a week or two ago and showed it to me...

I don't think I'd like it but gosh dang that thing is seemed sooooo pimp. I didn't think I'd like the big massive screen or anything, but dang. The colors and the screen in general looked great. Plus OMG it was sooo big, but I was like OMG I can actually web browse on a non tiny screen.

There's a reason they call it Best Galaxy.

Hello all. First time I've unlocked and rooted a phone. Galaxy Nexus user trying to set up JellyBean. Mentioned this in the Nexus thread but didn't want to noob it up too much there.

I used the Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit and backed up my files. Then I unlocked my phone, rebooted, successfully flashed to the jelly zip file that I have for Jelly bean. Loaded up fine (although it did hang at "loading" screen for 30 minutes the first time, after reflashing it worked great).

I restored my data using the Restore Data function in the Toolkit. Then I redownloaded my apps from the Play Store. But Im having issues with certain apps not being able to access storage directories. For example, Dogg Catcher and Dropbox saying that the storage is inaccessible or full.

So I figured I'd try the process all over again. Wiped the data using the Bootloader, deleted the cache, and the dalvik cache under advanced settings. Reflashed the jellbean ROM.

But now Im noticing nothing seems to actually "wipe". I have my pictures still on my phone, my mp3s, etc. When I connect the phone to my computer I see all of the app directories in the root folder that were created before. Is a wipe supposed to remove all of this?

Also, when I run the "superuser" app, and go to check for updates to verify, it passes all of the tests saying i have the most recent version, etc. When I click "update anyway" it fails on "gaining root access"

Any ideas? Most of my apps run fine but it seems like Im doing something wrong somewhere here and just trying to fix it.

jokkir

Hello all. First time I've unlocked and rooted a phone. Galaxy Nexus user trying to set up JellyBean. Mentioned this in the Nexus thread but didn't want to noob it up too much there.

I used the Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit and backed up my files. Then I unlocked my phone, rebooted, successfully flashed to the jelly zip file that I have for Jelly bean. Loaded up fine (although it did hang at "loading" screen for 30 minutes the first time, after reflashing it worked great).

I restored my data using the Restore Data function in the Toolkit. Then I redownloaded my apps from the Play Store. But Im having issues with certain apps not being able to access storage directories. For example, Dogg Catcher and Dropbox saying that the storage is inaccessible or full.

So I figured I'd try the process all over again. Wiped the data using the Bootloader, deleted the cache, and the dalvik cache under advanced settings. Reflashed the jellbean ROM.

But now Im noticing nothing seems to actually "wipe". I have my pictures still on my phone, my mp3s, etc. When I connect the phone to my computer I see all of the app directories in the root folder that were created before. Is a wipe supposed to remove all of this?

Also, when I run the "superuser" app, and go to check for updates to verify, it passes all of the tests saying i have the most recent version, etc. When I click "update anyway" it fails on "gaining root access"

Any ideas? Most of my apps run fine but it seems like Im doing something wrong.

No, wiping does not remove your mp3's, photos, and whatever is on your SD card. Do a factory reset, wipe cache, and dalvik all from the recovery menu. Also, there might be a wipe-all zip somewhere on XDA where it's a flashable .zip that just deletes all traces of the previous install.

I'm not sure if this is the same for the GNex but to check if it actually wiped everything, try wiping the data and boot up the phone. It shouldn't get past the "Google" logo. Although, I'm pretty sure it'll still show the bootscreen despite factory resetting it that's why I recommend trying to find that wipe-all zip/script

No, wiping does not remove your mp3's, photos, and whatever is on your SD card. Do a factory reset, wipe cache, and dalvik all from the recovery menu. Also, there might be a wipe-all zip somewhere on XDA where it's a flashable .zip that just deletes all traces of the previous install.

I'm not sure if this is the same for the GNex but to check if it actually wiped everything, try wiping the data and boot up the phone. It shouldn't get past the "Google" logo. Although, I'm pretty sure it'll still show the bootscreen despite factory resetting it that's why I recommend trying to find that wipe-all zip/script

Thanks, still trying to get familiar with some of the terminology.
I just wiped data from the recovery console, wiped the cache, and dalvik.
Everything says "Wipe Complete" or Successful. No error messages that I see.

After reboot it still brings me past the Google logo and eventually to the "Welcome Page" and it's still the flashed Jelly Bean rom.

Dont have an SD card by the way, although I guess that doesnt matter.

Do you have a link to the wipe-all.zip?

McLovin

I figured out how to stop my evo 3d from rebooting on its own. I figured I would try a factory reset again but this time I backed up my photos and contacts and formatted the memory card. For now, it seems to have worked. I should note that the I carried that memory card over from my original evo without doing a format.

kehs

Banned

After reboot it still brings me past the Google logo and eventually to the "Welcome Page" and it's still the flashed Jelly Bean rom.

If you do a factory rest it should clean everything out. The storage partition is considered the "sd card" on the GN.

jokkir

--- This script will erase and format your system and cache partition using EXT4 file-system ---
--- It will also wipe /data partition, but /data/media (virtual SD card) will be untouched ---
--- You need to copy ROM .zip file to your virtual SD Card before using Super Wipe ---

I found this for the Galaxy Nexus:
http://goo.gl/jmi4r

I believe the last point is very important so make sure you copy it over first or have a backup.

Got it from here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1361348

If you do a factory rest it should clean everything out. The storage partition is considered the "sd card" on the GN.

Well the /storage folder itself only has one item in it. But in the root , there are folders there from before I unlocked/rooted my phone and can't be "factory" settings. IE; a folder for DoggCatcher, Paper Pictures, lightflow, etc, even though none of the apps are are on my phone currently. I assumed the wipe would remove this as well, but I don't know much so maybe Im off looking in the wrong direction.

kehs

Banned
Well the /storage folder itself only has one item in it. But in the root , there are folders there from before I unlocked/rooted my phone and can't be "factory" settings. IE; a folder for DoggCatcher, Paper Pictures, lightflow, etc, even though none of the apps are are on my phone currently. I assumed the wipe would remove this as well, but I don't know much so maybe Im off looking in the wrong direction.

Wipes from recovery are different from a factory reset. Through recovery you can wipe the partitions selectively. If there's nothing on the phone you want, go through system settings > backup & reset > Factory Reset.

kehs

Banned
I was joking about a Google Now thread, but this thing is bananas, this is the type of stuff Schmidt was talking about when he was still CEO and headlining events.

When I went out earlier today, it prompted me for directions back to my "house." Of course I corrected it and gave it my actual home address, but the functionality is fascinating. Later, when I left the hotel for the airport, Google Now presented me with a map and an estimated travel time of 27 minutes without having been asked to do so. It then repeated this magic when I landed I landed.

I’ve searched for the red eye flight I’m on tonight a few times, and now the card with my flight info is waiting for me when I open Google Now. According to Duarte and others from Google, it will get smarter and gain functionality as time goes on — and I can see incredible uses for the service. As Matias said, it’s not an app, "It’s a platform."

It’s doing something that computers rarely can pull off without becoming annoying — which is thinking for you — and so far it’s doing a relatively good job in its limited way.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/29/3...-review?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Fuck GAF I sort of want that now, but I feel like it's old (in cell phone months) + expensive (for how old the device is). I just don't want to have to wait for the Note 2. :(
I bought mine about a month ago. Yes, it's old and yes, it's fairly expensive. But it's awesome. I got mine from Amazon Warehouse for $475.

You can put stock ICS on it. Check xda or my post history, I think.

tino

Banned

You are looking it the wrong way. In order to push the device to max hardware limit, you are much better of running the custom ROMs than official Samsung 4.0 ROM or Android AOSP ROM.

It takes time for the custom ROMS to get mature. IMO ROM scene for Galaxy Note has just gotten smooth recently. A couple months ago there was the horrible hardbrick bug. They just fixed it in CWM 5.5.0.4. The MIUI ROM is not even out yet, this is IMO much better ROM than CM or official Samsung ROM. Galaxy Note is by no mean old at all. With a good ROM it can run benchmark higher than S3. This is the advantage of buying hardware that's a few months old. If you get a Note 2 now, you have nothing but crappy Samsung ROM to work with.

Donos

My girlfriend's One X is literally her facebook/texting device. It almost makes me depressed when she doesn't bother to update her apps :(

a good female friend of mine has the Samsung Galaxy S and it still has 2.2.1. I tried to convince her to update but she said "why should i... everything works..". She just doesn't care. I'm complete opossite and love updates on everything (tv, pc, smartphones).

JordanKZ

a good female friend of mine has the Samsung Galaxy S and it still has 2.2.1. I tried to convince her to update but she said "why should i... everything works..". She just doesn't care. I'm complete opossite and love updates on everything (tv, pc, smartphones).

Urghhhh that's frustrating!!
It takes less than 5 minutes of your time and has huge potential benefits! >_>

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

As someone making an Android app at the moment, smack her phone out of her hand and either step on it, recommending she replace it with a Galaxy Nexus, or you hold it hostage until she agrees to update it.

Urghhhh that's frustrating!!
It takes less than 5 minutes of your time and has huge potential benefits! >_>

How do they say? Never run a touching system? Something like that.

When my brother got the official ICS update for his Sensation, it broke Sense. So whenever you went back to the home screen, Sense just restarted. They fixed it later, but now he never wants to do updates again. Quite tragic.

Probably not, since the Google Music app you're using was likely lifted from the Play Store. The current version should still work, but you probably won't be able to install further updates.

In which case he would use marketenabler to hop on the US store and download an updated version of Google Music

How do they say? Never run a touching system? Something like that.

When my brother got the official ICS update for his Sensation, it broke Sense. So whenever you went back to the home screen, Sense just restarted. They fixed it later, but now he never wants to do updates again. Quite tragic.

HTC are a shitty company who don't test their updates. That's why people have problems. Such a shit company.

Nicktendo86

It's a shame literally nothing outside of the weather seems to work outside of the states :(

Well I'm from London and I get bus times and how long it will take me to travel to work. Considering this is a leaked ROM and only going to get better I am really impressed so far. :)

Phandroid: What was your biggest challenge in developing HD Widgets and Cloudskipper?

Michael: The biggest challenge developing HD Widgets and Cloudskipper is fragmentation. Thousands of different devices with vastly different specs, different android versions, custom ui layers, and screen sizes from tiny mdpi screens to 10″ tablets is not easy,. HD Widgets has the additional challenge of dealing with making things look great on all the different manufacturer created and 3rd party launchers
http://phandroid.com/2012/06/29/10-...ichael-from-cloud-tv-developer-of-hd-widgets/

kehs

Banned
Vizio Co Star hands on. I guess it is using Vizios overlay, cool beans.

One thing that's missing from the Co-Star since CES: a jack for an IR blaster to control your other components. That's because Vizio moved the IR blasters to the remote control, too. Because the Co-Star and remote send RF commands both ways, you don't need them in the set-top-box itself. Instead, the Co-Star tells the remote when it needs to flash infrared commands, and two large arrays of infrared LEDs on the front and side of the remote do that job as required. Optimally, the Co-Star will control your cable box directly via HDMI using IP commands, but McRae told us only Dish will allow IP control right now.

Nice.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/29/3127055/vizio-co-star-hands-on-take-a-chance-on-google-tv-at-99

I hope Google adds a subscription model to the play store for TV shows, cause I sure as shit am not paying $2 per episode when I have cable already.

Co-Star pre-orders will begin as early as Monday morning, and McRae says the first devices should ship three to four weeks after that. We're looking forward to bringing you a full review sometime before then.

Ugh, July is officially wait for stuff month. =(

kinggroin

Banned
Its stupid isn't it.

To throw salt on the wound, its absolutely flawless on ios. So, I'm a happy iPad owner anyway :)

Anyone on jellybean notice that unlike previous iterations of android, the longer you use the phone, the better the phone performs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom