• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

thespot84

Its stupid isn't it.

To throw salt on the wound, its absolutely flawless on ios. So, I'm a happy iPad owner anyway :)

Anyone on jellybean notice that unlike previous iterations of android, the longer you use the phone, the better the phone performs?

i only installed it last night but yes, that seems to be the case.

EDIT: so i just figured out that google now uses ALL your search history. I search on my desktop for an event and all of a sudden my phone prompts me with nav and traffic info for said event. We're living in the future.

Vizio Co Star hands on. I guess it is using Vizios overlay, cool beans.

Nice.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/29/3127055/vizio-co-star-hands-on-take-a-chance-on-google-tv-at-99

I hope Google adds a subscription model to the play store for TV shows, cause I sure as shit am not paying $2 per episode when I have cable already.

Ugh, July is officially wait for stuff month. =(

i wonder why DirecTV won't allow Vizio to control their boxes via IP... there are already apps that do just that!

kehs

Banned
i wonder why DirecTV won't allow Vizio to control their boxes via IP... there are already apps that do just that!

I'll never understand these media companies that refuse to progress with tech.

---

This tidbit seems to have gotten lost in the I/O madness.

“I am still a huge fan of hardware keyboards,” Duarte told ABC News in an interview. “Many of the products I have worked on in the past have had them. I think there is a place for them — it’s all about choice and different types of devices. I would love, personally, to have a portrait oriented device, like we made at Palm.”

“If RIM wanted to work on Android devices, I would really welcome that. They clearly make great physical keyboards.”

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technol...rim-on-an-android-phone-with-a-real-keyboard/

Google Nexus Pearl by RIM anyone?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
In which case he would use marketenabler to hop on the US store and download an updated version of Google Music

That's the point though, since the new released are encrypted using the Play Store, he won't actually be able to install it.

Alucrid

Banned
Ok so I have a working Droid X now. Is there any way to move contacts from my old phone to my new one if I can't access the old one to install the backup assistant?

kinggroin

Banned
Ok so I have a working Droid X now. Is there any way to move contacts from my old phone to my new one if I can't access the old one to install the backup assistant?

Did you not have google contacts sync enabled?

They should all reappear when you log back into the new phone using the same gmail account.

Alucrid

Banned
Did you not have google contacts sync enabled?

They should all reappear when you log back into the new phone using the same gmail account.

No clue if I did or not. Anyway to find out through my gmail account? (If they don't appear in my gmail contacts I would assume it's not, right?)

mkenyon

Banned
Put Cyanogenmod 9 on my Note last night. Stock android experience feels so good. Phone is a lot snappier, and I haven't run into a single bug as of yet. For you AT&T note folks, totally worth it. Heck, even worth it for the international version to get rid of the crappy Samsung interface.

panda21

so now with the new google maps it wont let me save areas for offline viewing that worked just fine before, and the old labs version isnt there anymore.

so their big 'new' feature just remove an existing one for me :\

kehs

Banned
My biggest annoyance with Google music is now gone. they have an actual now playing list. This way a shuffle all actually makes a shuffle playlist instead of just randomly playing song. Anyone who had a Rio karma knows what im talking about.

Aggrotek

So I am fairly new to the smart phone scene. Got my first one (a Droid Bionic) a few months back. I hear there is an update out for the Droid OS but my phone hasn't received it. Do I have to physically download it? If so, where do I find it?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Posted this question in the Gnex thread but no response. HTC One S or Galaxy Nexus? What would you go with?
Galaxy Nexus (Google device, Better screen even if it might take you awhile to get a good one)

So I am fairly new to the smart phone scene. Got my first one (a Droid Bionic) a few months back. I hear there is an update out for the Droid OS but my phone hasn't received it. Do I have to physically download it? If so, where do I find it?
You can try going into About Phone in the settings, then System Update and have it run a check. If there's an OTA update available, it should find it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So Verizon/Moto finally pushed the full wave of ICS to everyone on the Droid Razr/Razr Maxx today. They did a small test roll out earlier in the week, but everyone should be getting it now.

kehs

Banned
So Verizon/Moto finally pushed the full wave of ICS to everyone on the Droid Razr/Razr Maxx today. They did a small test roll out earlier in the week, but everyone should be getting it now.

Yea, it's pretty slick on the Maxx, was messing with it earlier.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
My friend got it earlier today.

Any news on when it's getting pushed to the Droid 4? I heard a build leaked in May and it's coming "Q3" but dunno if they said anything more specific.

kehs

Banned
You should get that prompt the next time you open a url. If not, then go to setttings>Apps>All >Browser> Clear Defaults.

Then the next time you click a url it'll pop up the dialog.

Google plans to ease the Android update problem

Google is making another attempt to fix the Android update problem at the Google I/O conference. The plan is to give smartphone, tablet and chip manufacturers earlier opportunities to adapt their current and new hardware to forthcoming Android versions. Google said that it hopes that this will allow users to receive their updates faster.

To achieve this, Android executive Hugo Barra announced a "Platform Development Kit" (PDK). Barra said that the kit contains the "required source code" to allow manufacturers to port a forthcoming Android version to their hardware. He added that Google will make the PDK available to its partners two to three months before a new version is released. The executive didn't mention what criteria Google will use to select these partners.

If Google implements its PDK plan as announced, future updates may reach the users of older devices a few months sooner. Mobile manufacturers could work on porting a new version to their hardware while Google is still fine-tuning the details – provided that they plan to update at all, which hasn't always been the case even with relatively recent smartphones. According to Motorola, adapting the code to chipsets and other components is the biggest challenge when developing updates.

The PDK is Google's second attempt to fix the update issue. At the I/O 2011 conference, Google had promised that HTC, LG, Motorola, Samsung and Sony Ericsson devices would provide updates to the current version of Android for at least 18 months. However, such a promise isn't worth much if it does not state the speed of updates. When asked by The H's associates at c't in April 2012, almost none of the manufacturers involved wanted to comment on the "18 months" plan, not even Google itself. This is the biggest issue with Android for most users: many smartphones get very late updates, if they get updates at all.

reKon

Banned
Serious question here, lol (I'm not trolling):

What does iOS 5.1/6 (based off of facts/speculation) do functionally better than ICS/JB still?

rozay

Banned

What does iOS 5.1/6 (based off of facts/speculation) do functionally better than ICS/JB still?
pinch zooming in emails
audio latency (improved in 4.1 but will probably be device dependent, the galaxy nexus is great though), iMessage is currently better than google's messaging solution as of 4.1, and some of siri's automations for notes, calendar etc

mkenyon

Banned

There's a lot of enterprise/proprietary software that only exists on iOS. It's also a helluva lot more secure than Android if that sort of thing matters to you. Most issues with android revolve around custom ROMs/rooting, which for most, ends up being the smartphone equivalent of plugging your computer directly into a cable modem with no firewall/router. There's also a ton of malware for Android devices, even on the market. Requires you to not be an idiot to be totally safe, just like computers. Still, I wouldn't do any banking stuff on my phone unless I were on a secured wireless network.

Small price to pay for an open system though.
Nothing. However, it has more apps, especially for tablets.
But it doesn't have Star Traders Elite RPG, which is the best app of all time ever. EVER.

Does Google Now actually work?

Too bad the whole subway timing thing won't work at most stations in Toronto because they are UNDERGROUND where there is no service :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
pinch zooming in emails
audio latency (improved in 4.1 but will probably be device dependent, the galaxy nexus is great though), iMessage is currently better than google's messaging solution as of 4.1, and some of siri's automations for notes, calendar etc

Still, does iOS have non-gimped versions of Chrome and Google Voice? Those are Android's killer apps right now.

rozay

Banned
Still, does iOS have non-gimped versions of Chrome and Google Voice? Those are Android's killer apps right now.
what does that have to do with his question about what iOS currently does better than android?

I tried really hard to think of those okay :(

reKon

Banned
Wait, what about Google Talk compared to iMessage?

What are the big differences other than the voice/video chat thing?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Google Talk is much more than just a messaging client. Aside from giving you free texts, it:

- Allows you to forward one number to several. After you get your Google Voice number, you'll never have to give out a new number ever again. On Android, the integration is so deep that placing calls also uses the Google Voice number.
- Can be used to filter your Google Contacts groups and Google+ circles, giving them custom voicemail messages, screen certain groups, etc.
- Get voicemail transcription delivered to your email. (Speech to text.) I've found it fairly accurate.

And some other stuff I'm forgetting. It's immensely useful.

rozay

Banned

iMessage has delivery confirmation and is pretty seemlessly integrated into the messaging app on this. Haven't had any of those annoying as fuck notifications that my message could not be sent like I do with mobile gtalk (knock on wood!) they're pretty different in execution IMO

It also supports sending pictures/video, which isn't exactly necessary but kind of convenient. I think we'll see a new unified messaging system in 4.2 or whatever version comes out with the next nexus.

Google Talk is much more than just a messaging client. Aside from giving you free texts, it:

- Allows you to forward one number to several. After you get your Google Voice number, you'll never have to give out a new number ever again. On Android, the integration is so deep that placing calls also uses the Google Voice number.
- Can be used to filter your Google Contacts groups and Google+ circles, giving them custom voicemail messages, screen certain groups, etc.
- Get voicemail transcription delivered to your email. (Speech to text.) I've found it fairly accurate.

that's google voice, gtalk on android at the moment is completely separate. You can't text internationally which is why iMessage is a fucking godsend for me and friends/relatives overseas...I end up switching sims between my nexus and the iPhone constantly as a result. There's no good way to use gtalk on the iPhone now that google killed the webapp.

reKon

Banned

Yeah a lot of that you listed was Google Voice features, but now I see.

So iMessage pretty much = WhatsApp

By the way, I don't understand how Browser still destroys Chrome in speed. It has always seemed a little quicker, but now I just tested the two browsers again and engadget loaded up faster on the browser. And in addition, Browser has an improved quick controls..

EDIT: Speaking of wallet, I have that app on this build of 4.1 (Vicious rom)...

Is this not going to work or something since I'm with Verizon?

rozay

Banned
Yeah a lot of that you listed was Google Voice features, but now I see.

So iMessage pretty much = WhatsApp
yeah basically a more reliable/less finicky version of it. I really dislike the android app for some reason, but maybe it got an update since the last time I used it. They should just make it 99 cents and use that money to fix the bugs and interface, it's still behind the iphone and blackberry versions.

really wish facetime, imessage and gtalk could lose the proprietary bullshit and all roll together into a great cross platform messaging/videochat app, or a team had the resources to make one that didn't suck.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wow I'm dumb.

The Toonami drinking game really did a number on me even though I was drinking soda. Sorry yall. :p

rozay

Banned
Playing around with widgets on shiny zippy 4.1, I really wish there was some kind of API a clock widget could use that would make the notification bar clock fade out of view when the homescreen currently being viewed had a clock/time on it. I guess I should count my blessings and be happy they took it out of the lock screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom