• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

There's also a ton of malware for Android devices, even on the market. Requires you to not be an idiot to be totally safe, just like computers. Still, I wouldn't do any banking stuff on my phone unless I were on a secured wireless network.

Small price to pay for an open system though.

I was going to let this go but I was to baffled to ignore it...

What?

also... both my wife's and my phone's GPS started showing us a few hundred feet off from where we actually are. 2 different phones at the same time, any idea what might be causing this? Verizon?

edit... fixed it. Downloaded a GPS program that let me reset my a-gps data, it rebooted the phone and had to re-register with verizon. Came back and worked fine

Pachimari

Galaxy Nexus (Google device, Better screen even if it might take you awhile to get a good one)

You can try going into About Phone in the settings, then System Update and have it run a check. If there's an OTA update available, it should find it.

What do you mean by this?

And I'm in Denmark, so I guess I'll miss out on Google Talk, Google Voice, Books, Movies, Wallet and some other stuff? =/

gutshot

EDIT: Speaking of wallet, I have that app on this build of 4.1 (Vicious rom)...

Is this not going to work or something since I'm with Verizon?

Depends. If you have an older version of Wallet, once you get it on your Verizon Nexus (typically via sideloading), it should work fine. You just need to ignore the upgrade message each time you launch the app. The newest version of Wallet has checks built-in that will not let you use it if it detects you are using the VZW Nexus. However, the XDA community has already hacked the app to remove that check, so if you have the hacked version, it should work. Considering you have a custom ROM I'm guessing you may have the hacked version. Try it out and see if it works.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Kinda easy when Apple has so few devices.

I'd rather have the choices.

Choices only matter so much to people when they can't get the latest OS version or OS fixes in a timely manner, and I really like Android.

I'm not saying Android's setup makes it easy, but it is what it is.

Cipherr

Might be seen as trolling, but it's true. Biggest issue still with Android is just getting the updates out to devices.

I think a lot of people want to believe that this is Androids biggest issue. But it absolutely is not. Not enough people care for, or about this to cause any amount of stagnation in the operating systems adoption.

If tomorrow Android magically ran the latest version on every Android device across the planet, Im willing to bet the actual number of devices sold would be right in line with where it is now.

At best a minor increase in a few apps compatibility between devices. But running the latest version of the OS clearly isnt as much of a detriment to the OS's success as it seems everyone lets on. One needs only look at the history of the OS from its very birth up until today for the proof, (and then in contrast look at Windows 7). Its a goal they clearly need to reach, but once they do, I reckon there wont be a whole lot to show for it. Just like the UX lag. Its nice to see them get stuff to 60FPS, but the masses dont put as much stock into that as we seem to think.

kehs

Banned
As some one who spends too much time looking at android stuff I have to say that a lot of functionality that is "new" to android is usually stuff that OEMS add to existing version anyways. Resizeable widgets in honeycomb were a Motorola implementation in Gingerbread. The auto moving icons, I'm pretty sure Samsung introduced in GB. Moto had individual notification dismissals in GB too. HTC, moto, and Samsung were implementing hardware acceleration a long time ago both in the os and the browser. Screenshots were a combination Asus and Samsung split between tablet and small screen.

Their Facebook contact support has always been better than Nexus lines, so has exchange and email support.

Its sort of a chicken and egg scenario. AOSP standardizes the best and innovative implementations from other companies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
As some one who spends too much time looking at android stuff I have to say that a lot of functionality that is "new" to android is usually stuff that OEMS add to existing version anyways. Resizeable widgets in honeycomb were a Motorola implementation in Gingerbread. The auto moving icons, I'm pretty sure Samsung introduced in GB. Moto had individual notification dismissals in GB too. HTC, moto, and Samsung were implementing hardware acceleration a long time ago both in the os and the browser. Screenshots were a combination Asus and Samsung split between tablet and small screen.

Their Facebook contact support has always been better than Nexus lines, so has exchange and email support.

Its sort of a chicken and egg scenario. AOSP standardizes the best and innovative implementations from other companies.

Yup. It's hard to disagree with Duarte on that one, the skins and OEM additions are a good feature of Android that Google shouldn't mess with.

That said, the OEM implementations tend to be a lot jankier than the final AOSP version and I don't know why anyone would choose a skinned Android device over a stock one, even with one or two niceties that aren't standard in Android at the time (like S Voice.)

snacknuts

we all knew her
I don't know why anyone would choose a skinned Android device over a stock one, even with one or two niceties that aren't standard in Android at the time (like S Voice.)

I went back and forth between the Galaxy Nexus and the Razr Maxx, but I eventually got the Maxx because of the better battery life. Moto's new version of Blur (to the extent that it even still exists) has some nice features, but I would rather have vanilla Android. My desire for excellent battery life trumped my desire for stock software.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I went back and forth between the Galaxy Nexus and the Razr Maxx, but I eventually got the Maxx because of the better battery life. Moto's new version of Blur (to the extent that it even still exists) has some nice features, but I would rather have vanilla Android. My desire for excellent battery life trumped my desire for stock software.

Heathen.

:p

Vanillalite

I actually have a couple of friends that did this for that exact reason. They basically set out to get a newerish Android phone with the best battery life they could find. So a couple of them bought the Maxx. While it's not necessarily the choice I would have made I have to fully admit they get crazy battery life on their phone.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I almost got a Maxx for my dad, then AJ was selling his GNex so I got that. :p Now I don't have to gaze on non-ICS when I help him with stuff.

gutshot

I don't really understand why battery life is a problem at all. Chargers are less than $5 on Amazon. Get a couple extra chargers and you will be fine. I have one at home, one at work and one in the car. My battery is pretty much never below 50%. And I have the battery guzzling LTE Nexus.

tino

Banned
Might be seen as trolling, but it's true. Biggest issue still with Android is just getting the updates out to devices. Sooo many devices from the past year aren't on ICS yet. It's just not a thing in iOS land.

Just compare android 2.3 to iOS 5. I don't see a problem.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
What do you mean by this?
The quality control that Samsung uses for the SAMOLED HD screens does not seem to be adequate. I'd actually go as far as saying it's non-existent.

If you're not picky about screen quality you probably won't notice the issues, but I basically gave up on finding a very good screen and am living with my blue-tinted viewing angles.

Vanillalite

The quality control that Samsung uses for the SAMOLED HD screens does not seem to be adequate. I'd actually go as far as saying it's non-existent.

If you're not picky about screen quality you probably won't notice the issues, but I basically gave up on finding a very good screen and am living with my blue-tinted viewing angles.

Isn't this a known problem with the SAMOLED tech in general though? I mean is there even a real fix for the issue?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Which issue? There are a lot of them out there. Some you need to live with, some you don't.

The blue-tinted angles don't exist in every screen, but they are very common (and also vary in intensity). Good viewing angles are supposed to be an OLED advantage, but Samsung has seen fit to compromise (read: get blown out of the water by Super LCD) in that respect with their latest panels.

Vanillalite

Which issue? There are a lot of them out there. Some you need to live with, some you don't.

The blue-tinted angles don't exist in every screen, but they are very common (and also vary in intensity). Good viewing angles are supposed to be an OLED advantage, but Samsung has seen fit to compromise (read: get blown out of the water by Super LCD) in that respect with their latest panels.

More the tint issue. I thought having weird color issues with SAMOLED is just how it is.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I don't really understand why battery life is a problem at all. Chargers are less than $5 on Amazon. Get a couple extra chargers and you will be fine. I have one at home, one at work and one in the car. My battery is pretty much never below 50%. And I have the battery guzzling LTE Nexus.

I can't deal with that. I'm not always tied to an outlet. What I have done, however, is carry a spare battery with me at all times. Works great. I can usually get through a day just fine but in case I need more juice, I always have another battery in my wallet.

I also made sure to buy a Note dock that can charge my phone and the spare battery as well.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
I just recently bought a HTC One S and have the blue tint issue. As soon as I slightly tilt the phone I see it. Wondering if HTC can do something for me if I complain about it.

Today I'll take another look at the Galaxy Nexus and Xperia S. I really can't decide witch one I should get.

Right now I'm preferring the Nexus over the Xperia, because of the dock (yes, it's kind of a big deal to me) and direct updates from Google. The community support is pretty good as well. Seeing how both phones are at the end of their life cycle, the Nexus would obviously the better choice, because of the support it gets.

But boy, is the design of the phone generic and boring. A true Samsung device. The white Xperia S is miles ahead when it comes to that. And so is the camera and screen in the Xperia.

Sony could've made this really easy for me, by offering an optional inductive charging/data solution. If Palm was able to do it, why not them? FFS.

Ugh, fucking phones. I hate them.

The Nexus is an example of understated elegance. The entire front of the phone is uncluttered by carrier branding, manufacturer logos, and even buttons. The phone itself is slightly curved including the front panel glass, giving it a pleasantly organic feeling. It's really quite beautiful and very unlike it's various other Galaxy brothers which are all the typical generic rectangles that most phones are today. There's a reason why HTC copied the shape of the Nexus in the One X, though HTC was unable to make the front panel glass curved.

The Sony Xperia S is, well, a rectangle. If you are in love with Sony's familiar corporate logo, well there it is right in front, along with the strange metal band at the bottom of the phone which some people like and others are confused by. The Qualcomm Snapdragon S3 is a mystery though in a 2012 phone and the TI OMAP 4460 in the late-2011 Nexus easily outpaces it. I don't know when Sony plans on catching up with the rest of the field in terms of hardware innards but if they want to actually make inroads on Samsung, HTC, LG, and the rest they'll need to try harder.

gcubed

So Google promotes a special on the front page of their store to buy Pixar movies. Only problem is the store hasn't updated to be able to buy movies so it crashes when I click it. Seriously Google?

#googypls

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The GNex design really doesn't get enough love from those who enjoy good industrial design. It's a thing of beauty, especially head-on as Unky said.

So Google promotes a special on the front page of their store to buy Pixar movies. Only problem is the store hasn't updated to be able to buy movies so it crashes when I click it. Seriously Google?

#googypls

It's obviously because Pixar and Apple are in cahoots.

Pachimari

Anyone here knows how to get Jelly Bean onto a GSM Galaxy Nexus? I have been writing about it in the Galaxy Nexus thread before but I seem to become confused now:

I'm really trying to get Jelly Bean onto my unlocked and rooted GSM Galaxy Nexus but should I follow this guide or this guide?

I'm really confused as to how to do all this.

I have created a folder on my desktop (I named it 'Galaxy') and then I have downloaded 7-zip to extract 'platform tools' into that folder which now contains the 'fastboot' file. What's next? Should I put a cwm.img into the same folder? How can I find /sd on my phone?

I think I'm pretty lost sorry.

Nicktendo86

Very true, the GS2 also had a panoramic mode in the camera and the ability to reject calls with a text message which were implemented in ICS. I can see how people think that firmware updates is a negative point with Android phones but you could just get a Nexus which will be kept up to date with latest stock roms or you could go for another phone which has a skin on it like touchwiz that has the benefit of features not found in the stock rom. This choice is what I really love about Android.

Nicktendo86

Anyone here knows how to get Jelly Bean onto a GSM Galaxy Nexus? I have been writing about it in the Galaxy Nexus thread before but I seem to become confused now:

The whole download onto your computer and then unzip and move to your phone is confusing. I just installed the files directly onto my phone, leave zipped (you must not unzip) and then rebooted into recovery and flashed. I flashed the ROM, then the file to keep root access and then the radio. Restarted and it has worked perfectly ever since.

Just follow this one and you can't really go wrong!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1737849

Pachimari

But wasn't there supposed to be a V3 out by now?

Thanks for the link.
So what I'll do is download it directly from ROM Manager, then go into the bootloader and flash it from there? =/

Nicktendo86

But wasn't there supposed to be a V3 out by now?

Thanks for the link.
So what I'll do is download it directly from ROM Manager, then go into the bootloader and flash it from there? =/

Download directly from that link from your phone, it will save the files in the download folder of your phone. You can then go into recovery and install the ROM from there. That link explains is all MUCH better than I ever could though so take a look, it should make it clear for you :)

Pachimari

I enter Recovery mode through bootloader right?

I really dont understand much of this. ROM Manager want me to install Clockworkmod Recovery. Anyway I'll try.

Vanillalite

newChallenger.png

DSC_8282-hero_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Thread!

Lunch break is over and I got my 10 minutes hands-on time with the white Xperia S, running Gingerbread.

I love the design and I think it's wonderful to look at. The slightly curved glass is nice and so is the back. But I have to admit, the phone is a bit to too big for me. The Xperia P has the perfect size, imo, but the specs are not really appealing for a phone in 2012 (not a surprise, considering it's about 150 bucks cheaper).

Using the phone itself was offensive. Good god, I have no idea how people were able to use Gingerbread (with a skin on top) and not wanting to shoot themselves in the head. I know I wanted to. My 2010 phone with 2009 hardware in it was able to outpace it in everything I tested. Everything was laggy and felt so slow. Even the live wallpaper lagged when I scrolled through the home screen. Surprisingly enough, though, pinch-to-zoom in the browser was more responsive than on the One S, which had quite a bit of lag (at least on the full Verge website).

If I was responsible for Sony's retail experience, I'd send everyone new display models with ICS on it, ASAP.

I was also able to play a bit with the One S, but after 3 minutes I had enough of Sense. While it felt more responsive and smooth, the design is just not for me. Ew.

Since they didn't have a working display unit of the Nexus, I'll try another store after work.

kehs

Banned
Galaxy nexus generic? brotwurst, it only looks subdued. Every time I handle this phone I'm impressed by its feel. There isn't a single hard edge on this thing. You really appreciate the design of it after a few days of usage. It melts in your pocket. The only downside is the super smooth coating the used for the sides. It can be a bit too slippery in one handed use of your have smaller hands.

I know a lot of people are anti on screen buttons, but JB just solidifies their superiority with Google Now access (swipe up over the home key). Not mention their versatility like changing g the back but to a down button when typing in the keyboard. This is future proofing, and I expect more usage from especially with Duarte at the helm.

Remember that this phone was being developed with both ICS and JB at the same time, so they've obviously been thinking ahead.

/Best Galaxy Nut Riding

JordanKZ

If only the back of the Nexus looked half as nice as the front. The Gnex has literally the most bizarre colour scheme, makes you wonder why they didn't just make it all black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom