• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not true.

gt-b5330.jpeg

http://phandroid.com/2012/07/02/sam...t-qwerty-ice-cream-sandwich-handset-gt-b5330/

Coco pls.

oVha5.jpg

TxdoHawk

Flashed my Verizon Gnex with 4.1, really enjoying it so far. The Siri clone is goofy and amusing, Google Now is interesting, and Project Butter has made the experience so much nicer...but the real win is all the little tweaks. One of my favorites is the back button doubling as "close keyboard" now. Being able to see emails in the notification bar is another big win, although even on my giant screen having two email addresses means one inevitably gets "squished" on the notification bar and won't show all my messages, sad face.

I know, but it's not like I have a choice. Samsung killed good sub-4" phones.

Don't worry, you'll get spoiled real quick, and months later you'll thumb through somebody's comparatively tiny screen and practically recoil in horror. Big is beautiful, baby ;)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So, I'm having issues.

I downloaded Cyanogen for Droid X and added to my SD card, booted into Droid 2 bootstrap recovery, wiped everything, installed zip via SD, and everything completed fine.

When I rebooted my phone boots to the Google logo then keeps repeating even after a battery pull. I also can't get back to the recovery mode, as I get to where the Android with the "!" mark pops up, but hitting the search button doesn't bring up the menu.

What do I need to do?

TxdoHawk

So, I'm having issues.

I downloaded Cyanogen for Droid X and added to my SD card, booted into Droid 2 bootstrap recovery, wiped everything, installed zip via SD, and everything completed fine.

When I rebooted my phone boots to the Google logo then keeps repeating even after a battery pull. I also can't get back to the recovery mode, as I get to where the Android with the "!" mark pops up, but hitting the search button doesn't bring up the menu.

What do I need to do?

I don't remember the exact details, someone else will be of better help, but I just wanted to warn you: If I remember correctly from being in this situation, your fix will involve using a special program to send a specific file to the phone to essentially factory restore it. Triple-check to make sure you have the exact file needed for your phone, model, etc. because sending over the wrong one = brick.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I hated the Menu button and that's gone. Now, I hope Key Lime Pie gets rid of the Back button. Knowing webOS, though, that had a Back gesture.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I don't remember the exact details, someone else will be of better help, but I just wanted to warn you: If I remember correctly from being in this situation, your fix will involve using a special program to send a specific file to the phone to essentially factory restore it. Triple-check to make sure you have the exact file needed for your phone, model, etc. because sending over the wrong one = brick.

Yeah, I'm guessing I need to go back to stock with RSD Lite. Just makes me mad because I don't have my cable with me at work to hook my phone up to my PC.

kehs

Banned
I hated the Menu button and that's gone. Now, I hope Key Lime Pie gets rid of the Back button. Knowing webOS, though, that had a Back gesture.

Doubt it, the back button is getting better and more useful to backtrack when jumping between apps. It's had a massive upgrade in JB, and devs have even more access to create better backstacks.

SimleuqiR

Yeah, not sure where the Windows Mobile thread is, or which one to post this at. I found this very interesting:

curvedy-keyboard.jpg

http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/02/leaked-windows-phone-keyboard-curved-for-your-typing-pleasure/

So is the case with this image of an alleged future Windows Phone keyboard, which curves out of the bottom right-side of the phone into an arc for one-thumb typing. As you can see, the image doesn’t look very well put-together. But WMPowerUser claims that this image was leaked from an internal presentation, so it’s entirely possible that it’s a render.

Still, I think Windows Mobile and Android are pushing mobile in the right direction. Not sure if I would use this, but it is something "NEW" that I could have never foreseen. Closest thing I could think of is the on-screen controls on the Android Browser.

Zeppu

Yeah, not sure where the Windows Mobile thread is, or which one to post this at. I found this very interesting:

http://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/curvedy-keyboard.jpg[IMG]

[url]http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/02/leaked-windows-phone-keyboard-curved-for-your-typing-pleasure/[/url]

Still, I think Windows Mobile and Android are pushing mobile in the right direction. Not sure if I would use this, but it is something "NEW" that I could have never foreseen. Closest thing I could think of is the on-screen controls on the Android Browser.[/QUOTE]

That, implemented with a swype-like system and automatically switches side depends how you're holding the phone, would be pretty awesome.

Pachimari

Wait, what? Samsung Europe is in control of the updates, even if you buy it off contract and unbranded?

I thought so? I bought mine off contract and unbranded and here in Denmark Samsung should be the one in control of the updates yes. So I'm just wondering how long it'll take for them to release JellyBean.

kehs

Banned
Wait, what? Samsung Europe is in control of the updates, even if you buy it off contract and unbranded?

Have a seat brot.

GSM/HSPA+ Models
takju - USA region- and carrier-independent firmware released on models sold in the USA through the Google Play Store
yakju - International region- and carrier-independent firmware released on models sold throughout western Europe.
yakjudv - Variant for Australia
yakjujp - Variant for the Middle East
yakjukr - Variant for South Korea
yakjusc - Variant for Japan
yakjuux - Variant for Canada
yakjuxe - Variant for Russia and the former Eastern Bloc
yakjuxw - Variant for certain carriers in Western Europe
yakjuzs - Variant for China and Hong Kong

CDMA/LTE Models
mysid - Variant for Verizon in the USA
mysidspr - Variant for Sprint in the USA

HOW CAN I TELL WHICH FIRMWARE I HAVE ON MY DEVICE
Using any file manager app, go into your /system folder and open the file called "build.prop". Find the line that starts with ro.product.name. Whatever comes after the equals sign (=), that's the firmware you have.

WHICH FIRMWARE IS UPDATED BY GOOGLE AS OPPOSED TO SAMSUNG?
Google updates the following firmware variants:
takju
yakju
mysid

Every other variant is updated and maintained by Samsung.

SO YOU'RE TELLING ME THAT THE SPRINT GALAXY NEXUS GETS UPDATES FROM SAMSUNG AND NOT GOOGLE?!?!
Yep.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1728555

The good news is that you can covert any GSM phone from whatever version it is to takju/yakju as you please. The current JB build is on takju which I flashed onto my yakju GN.

kinggroin

Banned
So, I'm having issues.

I downloaded Cyanogen for Droid X and added to my SD card, booted into Droid 2 bootstrap recovery, wiped everything, installed zip via SD, and ieverything completed fine.

What do I need to do?

cyanogen mod can only be installed from a GB kernel. Also, after flashing CM, the button to get into recovery changes (when you see the exclamation point).

Which guide did you follow? Maybe I can help?

kehs

Banned
O. So google does the testing for the GSM models before hand so T-Mobile doesn't have to?

Pretty much, since it's not a TMo device they don't really have a responsibility either.

I think there are a couple of carriers in Europe that get involved with the testing like Verizon does, but I don't think they take as long.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
cyanogen mod can only be installed from a GB kernel. Also, after flashing CM, the button to get into recovery changes (when you see the exclamation point).

Which guide did you follow? Maybe I can help?

I actually got it installed after going back to 2.4 and re-rooting. Only bad thing is stupid me forgot to install the Google Apps file at the same time, and now have no google apps. I have the file now, but how do I get back into bootstrap recovery with no way to download Droid 2 Bootstrap onto the phone? The APK file I tried didn't work either.

EDIT: Got into recovery, apparently Cyanogen has Clockworkmod installed and it has a boot to recovery feature.

kinggroin

Banned
Yeah, I'm guessing I need to go back to stock with RSD Lite. Just makes me mad because I don't have my cable with me at work to hook my phone up to my PC.

Some more info (make sure you're using revnumbers Cm7)

Once on 602, root, download d2bootstrap. Once in recovery, wipe data, cache, dalvik, then flash cm7 in clockworkmod recovery. Make sure you flash cm7 on ginger kernel by revnumbers... I'm assuming you already have the current cm7 zip by revnumbers, if not you can download it through rom manager...

gcubed

Is it okay to say that the Nexus program is a joke, or do I have to go to the iOS/Windows Phone thread for that?

its not a joke if you live in the US.

Other than that, yes, it is, at least this go round. I think the N1 and Nexus S were all straight up Nexus phones.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Ha. All is well! My Droid X is running Cyanogen 7 and I have all my google apps!

Took a bit longer than expected coming from Apex, but everything looks fine now.

kehs

Banned
Is it okay to say that the Nexus program is a joke, or do I have to go to the iOS/Windows Phone thread for that?

The intent of Nexus line died when they released a CDMA version of the Nexus S.

They're sorta coming back around though, with the N7.

gcubed

Sprint backs everything Google for brownie points.

But Sprint's version isn't on the list for official updates from Google, so that doesnt count

The intent of Nexus line died when they released a CDMA version of the Nexus S.

They're sorta coming back around though, with the N7.
the CDMA version has no bearing on the 27 other GSM variants around the world that don't get support from Google. The CDMA variant at least gets updates, if not quickly, anything other then yakju/takju are still on 4.0.2

rozay

Banned
I'm more inclined to say that it is at this point. Tons of variants that get no support from Google and both the Nexus One and Nexus S with their promises of fast updates and support took months to get the next version of android. Wonder if the galaxy nexus will get treated the same way this fall.

That being said, I would still pick them over other android phones :/

SimleuqiR

But Sprint's version isn't on the list for official updates from Google, so that doesnt count

the CDMA version has no bearing on the 27 other GSM variants around the world that don't get support from Google. The CDMA variant at least gets updates, if not quickly, anything other then yakju/takju are still on 4.0.2

Hey, Samsung gotta make sure no other Galaxy leap-frogs their precious SIII, in the software department. If that wasn't the case all the Nexus in the world would be on Jelly Bean come mid-July. They foresaw this coming, so they made arrangements with Google.

I really hate the relationship Google has with Samsung, and on a separate note with Verizon.

gcubed

Hey, Samsung gotta make sure no other Galaxy leap-frogs their precious SIII, in the software department. If that wasn't the case all the Nexus in the world would be on Jelly Bean come mid-July. They foresaw this coming, so they made arrangements with Google.

I really hate the relationship Google has with Samsung, and on a separate note with Verizon.

Every time i think about going back to GSM I go somewhere with more then 30 people around me and can still browse. Then i forget my problems and enjoy my functional phone

kehs

Banned

The Sprint Nexus S was the precursor to not handling all the software in-house. The alternative would have been to let Google handle the entire thing.

It took them like 8 months to get an ATT compatible Nexus One/Nexus S, they probably still wouldn't be shipping GNs out of the Play Store if Samsung wasn't selling them in different regions.

tino

Banned
For people who cares, I got quite a few freezes with KingDroid v6 on my International Note. I thought it was hardware issue so I flashed to UK official 4.0.3 in order to return it. Interestingly I haven't had any crash with this ROM, and it seem to be smoother than the Hong Kong official 4.0.3 ROM I tried earlier.

With the HK official ICS ROM sometimes I got the "press home button but no responds" issue which was a major turn off for me. The HK ROM also ran benchmarks slightly higher. I didn't think there was quality control issue with official ROM but now I know.

Pachimari

What can I use the NFC stuff in my Galaxy Nexus for if I don't have Google Wallet and don't have another Android device to Android Beam with? Does it have functions for other things?

gcubed

The Sprint Nexus S was the precursor to not handling all the software in-house. The alternative would have been to let Google handle the entire thing.

It took them like 8 months to get an ATT compatible Nexus One/Nexus S, they probably still wouldn't be shipping GNs out of the Play Store if Samsung wasn't selling them in different regions.

i'm confused by your post but i'm tired and getting over a cold. Either way, its a bastardized program and the rule of thumb is if you didn't buy it directly FROM google, its not a nexus.

its not a joke if you live in the US.

Other than that, yes, it is, at least this go round. I think the N1 and Nexus S were all straight up Nexus phones.

So it's more like Xbox Live Gold. Pretty neat and maybe even worth the price, but useless outside the US.

Doopliss

For people who cares, I got quite a few freezes with KingDroid v6 on my International Note. I thought it was hardware issue so I flashed to UK official 4.0.3 in order to return it. Interestingly I haven't had any crash with this ROM, and it seem to be smoother than the Hong Kong official 4.0.3 ROM I tried earlier.

With the HK official ICS ROM sometimes I got the "press home button but no responds" issue which was a major turn off for me. The HK ROM also ran benchmarks slightly higher. I didn't think there was quality control issue with official ROM but now I know.
There are some official kernels for your phone that can cause a hardbrick. See this.

yeah. Well, to be fair, thats the majority of Android

you couldn't afford Prince

I'm laughing way too hard at this. :lol

You're not the only one who's tired. :p

e: I think I'll have to order it this week. My current phone is unusable. Took it out of the pocket, woke it up and saw that it rebooted again. Entered the PIN, 3 missed calls and an angry voice message.

Fuck LG.

tino

Banned
There are some official kernels for your phone that can cause a hardbrick. See this.

I know all about that. I am not talking about leaked beta ICS ROM or whatever. These are the new official ROMs that came out last month.

But yeah, Galaxy Note has the most complicated ROM flashing steps: Odin to old GB ROM -> Root and intall CWM -> flash Abyss 4.2 -> Reboot to recovery -> full wipes -> install Custom ROMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom