• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
BootlegSnackz said:
Do we know if Kal-El has a GPU that is on par with the SGX543MP2? Or are we still talking inferior hardware?

How can a company that specializes in gaming and graphic/video cards have a GPU that is lacking so far behind the competition.

Maybe they are just not as well versed in the mobile space. Probably way different that how a CPU can handle it because of different factors, ie: cooling, etc...
We know it doesn't. Expect around 50-60% of the performance of the SGX543MP2.

tabsina

A question for america-GAF regarding carriers

I'm from Australia but will be moving to Seattle for work in late Feb next year.. I currently have a HTC desire so I will most likely want to switch up to the galaxy nexus..

would it financially be a reasonable idea to buy the phone outright here and get a standalone plan (do you guys have those?) there, or should I wait until I move and just get it on contract?

gcubed

tabsina said:
A question for america-GAF regarding carriers

I'm from Australia but will be moving to Seattle for work in late Feb next year.. I currently have a HTC desire so I will most likely want to switch up to the galaxy nexus..

would it financially be a reasonable idea to buy the phone outright here and get a standalone plan (do you guys have those?) there, or should I wait until I move and just get it on contract?

the only carrier that offers a discount on non-contract pricing is Tmobile. I believe there are restrictions to what can be on the Verizon or ATT prepaid plans as well, but someone else can correct me here. You can buy phones off contract in the US as well, not sure AUS pricing, but if its anything like game pricing it would definitely be cheaper over here.

^^^ what gcubed said

Off-contract sounds like a great idea, but American subsidized prices are just too good. If you really need to leave your contract, you can pay the penalty, which will be like you're paying the difference between stand-alone and subsidized.

SimleuqiR

The Ice Cream Sandwich Gallery Is Likely Getting A Built-In Photo Editor; We've Got The Feature List

icons.jpg

Google is working on building a photo editor into the Android Gallery. That much we're certain about - we've got the icons for it. It's not 100% confirmed that this will actually ship, or if these features or icons are final, but do you really think they'd do all this work and throw it out?

A whopping 19 icons for photo effects."Fill Light", "Highlight", and "Shadow" have their own slider control art, and again, there's that "Generic" one that could be for anything.

Nice. Looks like Google is finally fleshing out the OS. Hopefully we also get a movie editor a la Honeycomb on phones.

gcubed

Battersea Power Station said:
^^^ what gcubed said

Off-contract sounds like a great idea, but American subsidized prices are just too good. If you really need to leave your contract, you can pay the penalty, which will be like you're paying the difference between stand-alone and subsidized.

and i believe you can break your contract if you leave the country again, so thats a bonus if you aren't going to be here for the full length of the 2 year contract.

SimleuqiR said:
Nice. Looks like Google is finally fleshing out the OS. Hopefully we also get a movie editor a la Honeycomb on phones.

it would surprise me if it wasn't there. I'm really loving this so far. I can't wait to see it in action tomorrow. I would love for them to announce their music store and "match" service tomorrow as well.

rabhw

Battersea Power Station said:
Any blogs announced a video feed for tomorrow night, if it will even be allowed? Or will we have to settle for text?

youtube.com/android will be streaming it live!

SimleuqiR

rabhw said:
youtube.com/android will be streaming it live!

If it wasn't because I know I will be in my underpants I would start a hangout...or is hangout only limited to standard videos, not live streams?

Angst

SimleuqiR said:
If it wasn't because I know I will be in my underpants I would start a hangout...or is hangout only limited to standard videos, not live streams?
If that's you in your avatar we're looking forward to it!

gcubed

SimleuqiR said:

thats actually a pretty good idea (the hangout, not you in your underpants). I'd be up, or just a group chat through G+ like Jtwo said. I'll be watching. I dont see why it wouldn't work for a live stream

rabhw

gcubed said:
thats actually a pretty good idea (the hangout, not you in your underpants). I'd be up, or just a group chat through G+ like Jtwo said. I'll be watching. I dont see why it wouldn't work for a live stream

I would also be up for it. Gotta find my webcam otherwise I'll be text-only, but yeah.

SimleuqiR

Angst said:
If that's you in your avatar we're looking forward to it!

If that was me...or somehow I managed to transfer my consciousness in to her body, I would be too busy playing with myself...well, her body.

gcubed said:

My Android-Gaf circle is only five strong. Not sure how many of the fast five would be available at the time.

Doopliss

kinggroin said:
Holy wow! When the hell was opera mobile hardware accelerated? I just tried anandtech's website on my Droid x and my framerate in portrait goes from like 15fps to 40ish! Apparently this browser renders pages as a texture! Even better, I can now post on GAF perfectly! woooooohoooo
It isn't hardware accelerated, but yeah, the performance is great.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The Faceless Master said:
so, apparently, people are saying that Speaktoit Assistant on Android is like Siri.

Voice Actions Plus works great too. Been using it for 3 days now and it's awesome. And you can put her in chat mode and Jeannie can have a fun 2 minute convo with you with some decent A.I. behind her.

SimleuqiR

Welp, Facebook hasn't impressed me in a long time, but the new Facebook mobile website just got activated on my account over the weekend and it's impressive. I think this is the HTML 5 one?

Much better than the Android app, sadly.

jayb

SimleuqiR said:
Welp, Facebook hasn't impressed me in a long time, but the new Facebook mobile website just got activated on my account over the weekend and it's impressive. I think this is the HTML 5 one?

That's pretty much how the new iOS FB app looks now. :/

JaseMath

masud said:
That’s absolutely not true. If you return the phone you get your upgrade date back. I'm pretty sure you get the early upgrade fee back too. Call them, don't go to a store, they're morons there.
No shit they are and they treated me with a complete lack of respect; was kind of appalled really. I've already listed my iPhone on eBay. I'm selling it with a Griffin case, and judging by the numbers the 16GB are moving for, I'm hoping to get at least $535 for it. That way, I can just pay what would end up being (more or less) the upgrade cost for a Prime and don't lose money on a restock fee.

andycapps

SimleuqiR said:

Yeah I used it this weekend and I have thought about not using the app at all, and using that instead.

FerranMG

My mum has an HTC Wildfire S.
The other day, she told me she doesn't get notifications in the lockscreen when she recieves a message from Whatsapp.
That is, if I text her via Whatsapp, she will not know unless she unlocks the phone and drags down the notifications hub.

I messed around with it a little bit today, but couldn't find a way to make the notifications in the lock screen.
Is this even possible?
Any idea on what could I do?

SimleuqiR

jayb said:
That's pretty much how the new iOS FB app looks now. :/

The iOS app has been and always will be ahead of the Android one. This doesn't surprise me.

andycapps said:
Yeah I used it this weekend and I have thought about not using the app at all, and using that instead.

I will probably re enable email notifications in Facebook and/or just check the mobile site instead of opening the app from now on. It is seriously leaps and bounds better.

andycapps

SimleuqiR said:
I will probably re enable email notifications in Facebook and/or just check the mobile site instead of opening the app from now on. It is seriously leaps and bounds better.

Yes it is, it is so much faster than the standalone app. The standalone app will just sit there refreshing for 10-15 seconds usually. Seriously, you're not downloading that much. Shouldn't take that long.

tino

Banned
Google hangout for the Nexus announcement sound like a great idea. Where do I sign up? I have never done it before.

SimleuqiR

tino said:
Google hangout for the Nexus announcement sound like a great idea. Where do I sign up? I have never done it before.

Can a Hangout be done without a Google+ account?

I guess the best thing to do is keep an eye open on your NeoGaf Circle and see who starts a hangout around the time of the conference, then they will share the Youtube stream with everyone in that Hangout.

rabhw

SimleuqiR said:
Can a Hangout be done without a Google+ account?

I guess the best thing to do is keep an eye open on your NeoGaf Circle and see who starts a hangout around the time of the conference, then they will share the Youtube stream with everyone in that Hangout.

I don't know if I have anyone from Andro-GAF on G+... I really wish there was a way to send along a note for someone when you add them to a circle. "Hey its _____ from GAF". Just so people don't see a new person added them to a circle and have no idea who they are or what circle they should potentially add them to.

gcubed

rabhw said:
I don't know if I have anyone from Andro-GAF on G+... I really wish there was a way to send along a note for someone when you add them to a circle. "Hey its _____ from GAF". Just so people don't see a new person added them to a circle and have no idea who they are or what circle they should potentially add them to.

i have my gaf name in my "other name" field and share it out

Lesiroth

andycapps said:
Yes it is, it is so much faster than the standalone app. The standalone app will just sit there refreshing for 10-15 seconds usually. Seriously, you're not downloading that much. Shouldn't take that long.
It's unbelievable how far behind the FB app is. I'd imagine they just don't want to bother with it?

tino

Banned
ok any one who are interested in the google hangout, replay with your google email please. I would like to add you to my plus circle. I haven't been used account at all since all my actual friends live in caves. I may not be the one who start it since I work late but I would like to get the ball rolling.

tino: tino chen at google

AndyD

aka andydumi
gcubed said:
i have my gaf name in my "other name" field and share it out
Same here. I like the aliases feature. I just wish it was more prominent somehow. So it appears as the nickname to anyone in the circle all the time.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
tino said:
ok any one who are interested in the google hangout, replay with your google email please. I would like to add you to my plus circle. I haven't been used account at all since all my actual friends live in caves. I may not be the one who start it since I work late but I would like to get the ball rolling.

tino: tino chen at google

You can add me too. Quote this post for my email.

SimleuqiR

rabhw said:
Am I missing the way to add people to a circle via their email? :|

Best way to do it would be for you to PM the Gaf user and send them your profile link (and vice versa)

This way you both have an idea of who's who.

Donos

FerranMG said:
My mum has an HTC Wildfire S.
The other day, she told me she doesn't get notifications in the lockscreen when she recieves a message from Whatsapp.
That is, if I text her via Whatsapp, she will not know unless she unlocks the phone and drags down the notifications hub.

I messed around with it a little bit today, but couldn't find a way to make the notifications in the lock screen.
Is this even possible?
Any idea on what could I do?
Strange, did you try de- and reinstalling whatsapp?

tino

Banned
Ok guys, reply with your gamil address. How the hell am I supposed to add you?

If you don't want to post your email, PM me. But if you do that, other people can't add you. Am I missing something.

JCX

I don't get why Facebook and Twitter don't make better android apps. I want the iOS Twitter for tablet app yesterday!

jayb

JCX said:
I don't get why Facebook and Twitter don't make better android apps. I want the iOS Twitter for tablet app yesterday!

Sadly, Android is still seen as 2nd priority behind iOS app development.

MiniKelly

masud said:
That’s absolutely not true. If you return the phone you get your upgrade date back. I'm pretty sure you get the early upgrade fee back too. Call them, don't go to a store, they're morons there.
Yup, I returned my new phone to verizon last month and got my upgrade date back. I had to call customer support to get the upgrade date fix.

gcubed

tino said:
Ok guys, reply with your gamil address. How the hell am I supposed to add you?

If you don't want to post your email, PM me. But if you do that, other people can't add you. Am I missing something.

you just need 1 and have their share their GAF circle. I really only have an android Gaf circle with 2 or 3 other gaffers that aren't android-gaf.

gcubed said:
you just need 1 and have their share their GAF circle. I really only have an android Gaf circle with 2 or 3 other gaffers that aren't android-gaf.
I'd be interested in the hangout if it was text or voice only as it will be 3am in the morning here, I will look like shit after a long day in London + flight back home and I will be in my underwear. Huddle instead?

tino

Banned
gcubed said:
If i add all the gaffers in one circle, do they see each other's alais? Do I have to manually do somthing?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Pfft, just put some tape over your cam, OT. Don't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom