• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am out of the loop when it comes to latest phones, my current one is still the damn htc hero lol Any opinions on which is better, the galaxy s3 or evo lte? I am leaning towards the s3 because it has 32gb of memory (on sprint)

kharma45

I'm laughing way too hard at this. :lol

You're not the only one who's tired. :p

e: I think I'll have to order it this week. My current phone is unusable. Took it out of the pocket, woke it up and saw that it rebooted again. Entered the PIN, 3 missed calls and an angry voice message.

Fuck LG.

I'm worried now mine is gonna go tits up some day soon but my Optimus 7 has been fine bar the USB socket flap starting to come apart.

Toki767

I am out of the loop when it comes to latest phones, my current one is still the damn htc hero lol Any opinions on which is better, the galaxy s3 or evo lte? I am leaning towards the s3 because it has 32gb of memory (on sprint)
If you want the nicest screen go for the evo. If you want the most versatile go for the s3

If only the back of the Nexus looked half as nice as the front. The Gnex has literally the most bizarre colour scheme, makes you wonder why they didn't just make it all black.

I think Samsung didn't want an all black phone. I actually have a black case on mine so it actually is all black, and I think it looks better with the case off and the gray back exposed.

The Sprint Nexus S had the same problem, actually. Everyone hates Sprint I guess.

Didn't it get ICS in April?

e: Yep.

Sprint's Nexus S 4G gets Ice Cream Sandwich (for real!)
By JR Raphael

April 05, 2012 6:50 PM EDT

Yes, gang, the reports are true: Google is finally ready to deliver Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich, to its Nexus S 4G phone on Sprint.
Nexus S 4G Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich

Google and Sprint have both confirmed that the Nexus S 4G Ice Cream Sandwich rollout will start this afternoon -- Thursday, April 5 -- and continue over the next few weeks. As with most over-the-air rollouts, the software will be sent in waves, meaning a subset of users will receive it each day. You'll get a notification on your phone when the upgrade is available to you.

Bruiserk

Is the stock version of Android considered to be the firmware the Galaxy Nexus receives?

Is it possible to install a stock version of Android on any device?

kharma45

Is the stock version of Android considered to be the firmware the Galaxy Nexus receives?

If you root it yes, you'll more than likely be able to get Cyanogen Mod which is pretty close to stock.

malyce

Not any, but most of the devices that matter/popular devices.

Edit: Techinically yes, but to get a fully functional stable version of android on ANY device, well that's a different story.

kehs

Banned

Technically, the Galaxy Nexus has Google additions(aka bloatware) on top of stock Android.

There are AOSP(Android Open Source Project) builds that people can compile to load on devices.

There's no easy way to go about putting one of these on a device because you need to 1) Be able to compile from AOSP 2) Get a hold of drivers/binaries for the hardware itself that tend to be proprietary (companies rarely give that stuff out).

There's no universal version of Android, because it's standalone software. Take something like Windows, for example, MS works with the hardware mfgs ahead of time to do the drivers so that people can load up the OS "independently" of the hardware.

e: Beaten like Meego.

Doopliss

I know all about that. I am not talking about leaked beta ICS ROM or whatever. These are the new official ROMs that came out last month.

But yeah, Galaxy Note has the most complicated ROM flashing steps: Odin to old GB ROM -> Root and intall CWM -> flash Abyss 4.2 -> Reboot to recovery -> full wipes -> install Custom ROMs.
My understanding is that officially released ROMs are affected as well. When I said 'official' in my previous post I didn't mean 'leaked beta'.

tino

Banned
My understanding is that officially released ROMs are affected as well. When I said 'official' in my previous post I didn't mean 'leaked beta'.

well the dea is you dont wipe from ICS, you go back to one of old GB rom to wipe and start over.

My main problem with official rom is that I cant nand backup and restore. but I suppose I am familiar with Titanium enough that I can make do with it. Also, cant long press the wifi toggle to go into the wifi setting, it annoys me to no end.

And it's done.

My order says:
Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250 16GB Titanium Silver

I feel sorry for you guys.

Now it's time for

online_package_tracking.png

You'll appreciate the design (at least head on) once you get it. The front is so beautiful without buttons. That and I really didn't want to hear you complain about some skin issue.:)

Coco recommended me this WP7 launcher. I saw a screenshot and it looked familiar. Maybe I should look into it, once I get the phone.

Fair warning, for some reason it's not that great on ICS/GN, but it's great on JB!

/runs

Maybe because Google finally figured out how a smooth UI works and now it can properly emulate the feel of 2009 hardware? It's okay, it took only 5 years.

*looks around*

Wait, take me with you!

rc213

Anyone know of a way to easily back up Directories from a Galaxy S3/MTP connection?

I was using SyncToy but that uses MASS STORAGE which the Galaxy S3 no longer allows. So I am looking for a new way to easily select a few DIRECTORIES and have an app back them up to my PC via USB MTP or WiFi?

rozay

Banned
If I ever get some time I'm going to try to write my own, still haven't found one that looks nice or isn't written by an author I have no trust in.

I'm not sure how that will solve the problem for people who don't like the kinds of permissions these apps need though :p

Also had a revelation today. If you have a pin lock or some form of a device lock and you lose your phone, how are they able to find information that lets them return the phone to you? I feel like there should be some way to write this on the emergency call screen.

zbeeb

If I ever get some time I'm going to try to write my own, still haven't found one that looks nice or isn't written by an author I have no trust in.

I'm not sure how that will solve the problem for people who don't like the kinds of permissions these apps need though :p

Also had a revelation today. If you have a pin lock or some form of a device lock and you lose your phone, how are they able to find information that lets them return the phone to you? I feel like there should be some way to write this on the emergency call screen.

I don't know about phones, but you can put contact details on tablet lock screens.

kehs

Banned

It's was introduced in HC/ICS. Settings > Lock Screen > Personal Information.

TheBear

Hey guys just bought a Galaxy S2 and it runs like a dream. It currently runs on Android 2.3.5. I noticed there's an update to a new version, but I'm concerned it's going to make it run like shit, like how iOS5 ruined my 3GS. Are my concerns unfounded? Is there anything of note in the new version?

Hey guys just bought a Galaxy S2 and it runs like a dream. It currently runs on Android 2.3.5. I noticed there's an update to a new version, but I'm concerned it's going to make it run like shit, like how iOS5 ruined my 3GS. Are my concerns unfounded? Is there anything of note in the new version?

It'll take you to 4.0 - Ice Cream Sandwich, if I'm correct.

If anything it should make your device run BETTER. And there is so much great stuff in the update.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
My friend says his RAZR MAXX got faster and had much better battery life after the ICS update. Hardware acceleration system-wide will improve those for just about any phone coming from 2.x.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Help please android gaf! I just had my screen on my sgs2 replaced and they took my cm9 and replaced it with carrier branded 4.0.3 which i hate.

Should i root again or wait for cyanogen mod to release a jellybean version? How far off do you think that will be realistically? Do we have to wait for Samsung to release the source code?? Im a bit of a noob with this stuff sotry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom