• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkusRJR

I'm thinking of paying off my shitty contract with my regional carrier (3-4 months left, I keep getting dropping 1/3 calls) and moving to Koodo. I dealt with the customer service at my current carrier and they were like "deal with it". I'm thinking of getting the HTC One V using the tab system they have there. It'll be my first android device (Blackberry user), and hopefully it'll be an easy transition. I have a few questions though...

-Does anyone have experience with Koodo?
-How is the HTC One V? Any users here? I'm probably not going to be fiddling with rooting or anything complex so how is the default experience?
-Does the android app store support Paypal or Visa gift cards? I don't have a credit card and I'll probably be wanting to buy a bunch of apps.

Thanks to anyone who can help. :)

Futureman

I did the design/coding for my buddy's blog.

I use Google Web Fonts. Worked perfectly on my Droid X running Froyo stock browser. Works perfectly on iPhone and iPad.

Does NOT work in ICS Chrome or Browser. Why would this be? Pretty puzzling.

Www.thesummer123.com

It's the only font I use on the page but seems to only show up in the nav bar and other random places.

Anyone know?

Pachimari

Best bet is the play store, there are loads of free ones.

Thanks, just found a whole bunch.

So, I know we can activate Google Now by saying "Google" out loud but isn't this possible while the phone is sleeping (the screen is turned off, not the phone)? Isn't there an app/tweak for that?

Will be much more useful as you wont have to start it up but can just ask it straight away.

kehs

Banned
Anyone having issues with Google Music? It keeps re-downloading all my pinned music every day it seems. All I see is the pinned notification always going.

Pachimari

Do anyone know why I can't seem to add teams to my Google Now sports card?
Another thing is, how can one change or add apps to the lock screen "circle".

And what is a nice weather widget like the one in The Verge's video? Is this one from the Beautiful Widgets HD?

gutshot

So what's the deal with the official push for JB? At I/O they said mid-July, so will Google announce a concrete date soon or just start pushing it out at some point in the next week or two?

kehs

Banned
So what's the deal with the official push for JB? At I/O they said mid-July, so will Google announce a concrete date soon or just start pushing it out at some point in the next week or two?

They've never had specific dates for this stuff. They'll start pushing code to AOSP, and then they'll announce OTAs are on their way to random people probably on the same day.

Next thing you know it's Christmas and Verizon GN's are finally getting their update.

Google said they'd push it out for July but I'd guess it's going to be around the time that the Nexus 7 is released. But typically you'll just see a new OTA for the push the date however is unknown. We should be get a update prior to, I hope......

gutshot

They've never had specific dates for this stuff. They'll start pushing code to AOSP, and then they'll announce OTAs are on their way to random people probably on the same day.

Next thing you know it's Christmas and Verizon GN's are finally getting their update.

You take that back!

gcubed

I've taken solace that it may not be as early as Takju/yakju phones but its earlier then all others.

That's what I keep telling myself.

I've taken solace that it may not be as early as Takju/yakju phones but its earlier then all others.

That's what I keep telling myself.
While others enjoy a blazing fast user interface, you can enjoy your blazing fast internet (for like 2 hours). That's not so bad.

kehs

Banned
Nexus S 4G through Sprint, now with Full AOSP support. I wonder if they're working on GN support as well. Props to Sprint!

We've been able to resolve the issues around Nexus S 4G, and we can now properly distribute its CDMA and WiMAX binaries. That allows Nexus S 4G to work with AOSP just as well as Nexus S.

As a result, we now consider Nexus S 4G to be fully supported in AOSP,with no restrictions. Overall, Nexus S is the preferred platform for AOSP work.

I've updated the set of IMM76L binaries for Nexus S 4G to include WiMAX support. They're available at their usual location: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/drivers

Enjoy!

JBQ

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/android-building/u0RgVFy6y84

tokkun

I went out to look at new phones yesterday, hoping to compare the GS3 and Evo LTE. Stopped at Radio Shack, Target, and two Best Buys, but all of them had only mock-up non-function phones for their android selection. Anyone have any tips on retail stores that actually have functional units?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Nexus S 4G through Sprint, now with Full AOSP support. I wonder if they're working on GN support as well. Props to Sprint!

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/android-building/u0RgVFy6y84

This is pretty huge. Open source CDMA drivers are basically the only reason Verizon/Sprint Nexii were being held back on updates. I expect very very good things from this.

The timeframe of "mid-July" seemingly given to ALL models of the GN fill me with hope.

Cipherr

I went out to look at new phones yesterday, hoping to compare the GS3 and Evo LTE. Stopped at Radio Shack, Target, and two Best Buys, but all of them had only mock-up non-function phones for their android selection. Anyone have any tips on retail stores that actually have functional units?

Best Buy is your best bet. But if your local Best Buys aren't showing them, your only option is the Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon stores. I dont think I have ever seen a Radio Shack or a Target with actual phones out for you to demo with unfortunately. Carrier stores are great though. Walk in, let them try and upsell you for a minute, tell them you are there just to look, then take all the time you need with the phones.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

The actual service stores have functioning units. So you just have to go into a Sprint store or a Verizon store, and then fend off the customer service reps to get some hands on phone time.

I know a couple of people that have gone to Sprint to check out the GS3 because they got units earlier than the rest of the 3 US carriers, and unlike previous devices the GS3 is the exact same across all 4 carriers hardware wise.

Sadly places like Target or Best Buy usually just end up with dummy shells to look at.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I think Sprint released the Wimax source because it's not their primary source for 4g anymore.

It's been relegated to Virgin Mobile phones.

gutshot

Not sure about Radio Shack or Target, but Best Buy usually has functioning demo units of the latest and greatest phones. You have to ask the sales rep for them though as they keep them locked up.

This is pretty huge. Open source CDMA drivers are basically the only reason Verizon/Sprint Nexii were being held back on updates. I expect very very good things from this.

The timeframe of "mid-July" seemingly given to ALL models of the GN fill me with hope.

Dude, don't get my hopes up.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
The 4G portion is inconsequential, the CDMA news is huge.

I never got why gogle would release Nexus phones for CDMA carriers if the carriers were going to be picky with the source code.

I always took it that Sprint and Google were bffs because of the Google Voice integration.

gutshot

Speaking of Google and CDMA phones, any idea why Google Wallet is disabled on Verizon's Nexus? I assumed at the time of launch it was due to either A) having issues getting it to work on a CDMA phone or B) Verizon wanting to launch their own NFC payment app. Clearly, it was neither of those things, so what gives?

gcubed

Speaking of Google and CDMA phones, any idea why Google Wallet is disabled on Verizon's Nexus? I assumed at the time of launch it was due to either A) having issues getting it to work on a CDMA phone or B) Verizon wanting to launch their own NFC payment app. Clearly, it was neither of those things, so what gives?

Its B. They are just slow

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

In general NFC stuff is slow to catch on here in the US. Don't expect wide spread NFC usage for stuff like GWallet until 2013 IMO.

Pein

Banned
I've always liked bigger phones since my hands are kinda huge but it sucks ass for girls who want the latest phones. I went with my friend to get a new phone from t-mobile but god damn did she hate the GS3 because of the size. She got a one s instead and she still thinks its kinda big.

The waiting game for ics on my skyrocket is getting insane, thinking about selling it to my friend and grabbing a nexus for my work phone. I wouldn't have cared but damn my one x has some neat features and jelly bean makes me want it even more.

In general NFC stuff is slow to catch on here in the US. Don't expect wide spread NFC usage for stuff like GWallet until 2016 IMO.

I would give it a few more years myself. People are resistant to change and something like your phone making a payment is going to be too much for some people. Hell I still have some people my age, 27, writing checks to me at work! Checks!

Bruiserk

Opinions on Galaxy Nexus vs Galaxy SIII? Which one to get?

edit: I guess nevermind with the ban in place, huh? Unless it doesn't apply to Canada.

Toki767

How is the S3 the way to go, when Best Galaxy users are getting it this month?

You could make a case for newer hardware that has a better camera, screen, CPU, etc...

The important question to ask is will you be rooting and flashing a custom rom or just going stock?

I don't believe the ban applies to Canada by the way, just the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom