• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruiserk

You could make a case for newer hardware that has a better camera, screen, CPU, etc...

The important question to ask is will you be rooting and flashing a custom rom or just going stock?

I don't believe the ban applies to Canada by the way, just the US.

I've been looking at the whole rooting/flashing scenario for the passed couple of days. I would definitely give it a go but I'm still a bit confused by the whole process. What would you say if I was going to go for that route?

Toki767

I've been looking at the whole rooting/flashing scenario for the passed couple of days. I would definitely give it a go but I'm still a bit confused by the whole process. What would you say if I was going to go for that route?

If you're going to flash custom roms anyways, I'd go with the Galaxy S III. You can fix crappy software by flashing a rom but you can't fix old hardware down the line.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
It's very nicely shaped, but I do think the buttons are placed too low on the front of the device. This is part of the reason I like the on-screen buttons on the Nexus. They're very well-placed for comfortable one hand use.

Toki767

It's very nicely shaped, but I do think the buttons are placed too low on the front of the device. This is part of the reason I like the on-screen buttons on the Nexus. They're very well-placed for comfortable one hand use.

Maybe my thumb is just big but I pretty much press above where the capacitive keys are for Menu and Back and they still register as having been pressed so I don't have to reach for near the bottom. The Home button is a different matter since it's physical though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
>"Buy and sell gently used Android devices with Swappa"
>HP TouchPad

KuGsj.gif
I get why it's there though. Damn, $130 is tempting... even over a Nexus 7...

I love my Touchpad. It's got a crufty old Qualcomm Snapdragon S3 inside it but the 9.7" 4:3 aspect IPS screen on it is beautiful. Since I don't use it for watching videos, dual-core vs. quad-core is pretty irrelevant to me.

Nicktendo86

I love the rounded shape if it but it feels a little too long for me, I know the screen isn't much bigger than the GNexus but it feels a little too big for me. Don't like the colours either.

I hereby officially announce that I will design a Twitter client for Android because I hate all of them.
If anyone has coding experience hit me up.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Plume is my favorite. Boid is also a favorite. All clients, however, are not that great.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I like Plume - the click-for-options and hold for links is kinda cool. I switch between that and Echofon on the iPad and haven't had any big issues - though I do miss how the scrolling speeds up the more times you flick the screen up or down.

Pachimari

Wait, can anybody explain to me, why I am not presented with pictures when I use Google Now?

Like, when I ask: "How much is Angelina Jolie worth?", it comes up with the information but not the picture. Why is that?

Is it because I have it set to use Google.dk instead of Google.com for it's searching?

EDIT:
That seems to have solved it. But how can I use Google.com instead of Google.dk on my computer then?

By the way, can't one translate actual words or sentences with Google Now or how does that work?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
With the battles of Brettison and brotwurst won, Android has taken the definitive lead in the Smartphone Wars™...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
With the battles of Brettison and brotwurst won, Android has taken the definitive lead in the Smartphone Wars™...

You lucked out. I wouldn't have actually pulled the trigger if my Focus didn't decide to just go all totally FUBAR on me last weekend.

Parfait

If you're going to flash custom roms anyways, I'd go with the Galaxy S III. You can fix crappy software by flashing a rom but you can't fix old hardware down the line.

Like is there any actual news about flashing this with JB? Im at a crossroads between buying the S3 or a Nexus and the Nexus is winning out because of all the love for JB. It will be my first smartphone.

I hear the camera is much better on the S3, though.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yeah I don't know why you wouldn't upgrade to 8 from 7 if money isn't an issue. It's better in every way except for the start menu (which I think it's better, but I can see the objections).

tino

Banned
Android is a (barely functional) mob-rule democrecy, it welcomes residents from other walled-garden totalitarian ecosystems with open arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom