• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

snacknuts

we all knew her
If anyone is interested, the chaps over at XDA have ported a mostly working version of Google Now to ICS. Voice searching doesn't work (yet), however, which eliminates a lot of the appeal. And your phone has to be rooted.

Google Now for ICS

It's more of a stop-gap solution. Kinda like Windows Phone 7.

Don't be difficult, bratwurst. This stop-gap may last a lifetime but you'll soon learn to embrace it.

Lets just say, I'm not impressed.

It's difficult to be impressed by something which just functions like you would expect. I know, stuff just working is boring as shit. Having 10 apps to choose from for everything is boring as shit. I'm sure it was much easier when at best you had one app, which might suck, but you didn't have a choice so you lived with it anyways. True multitasking is boring as shit too, I mean seriously? The phone actually manages itself and you just use apps when you feel like it and they are always there at all times when you need them? What a bunch of crap. I'm sure being able to pin widgets to your home screens isn't impressive at all coming from Live Tiles, I mean, the widgets all look different, you can put as many as you want on there, they can be resized and customized? That's not impressive at all.

It doesn't matter, everyone around you will. Assuming you have real people around you at any given time.

not necessarily. the amount of people (especially businesses) i know that completely skipped vista and just stuck with XP because it was "good enough" is just mindblowing.

some of them are STILL running it. As good as windows 7 is, and strange as the "metro" interface seems to be from every other OS i can see a lot of people just skipping it entirely

not necessarily. the amount of people (especially businesses) i know that completely skipped vista and just stuck with XP because it was "good enough" is just mindblowing.

some of them are STILL running it. As good as windows 7 is, and strange as the "metro" interface seems to be from every other OS i can see a lot of people just skipping it entirely

A lot of companies aren't running IE9 for the same reason. Completely removing the menu bar is an impossible thing to fathom for large companies unless they want to spend a lot of money re-training everybody to learn how to use a UI without one, and this is much harder than you might believe as someone who posts on GAF.

kinggroin

Banned
A lot of companies aren't running IE9 for the same reason. Completely removing the menu bar is an impossible thing to fathom for large companies unless they want to spend a lot of money re-training everybody to learn how to use a UI without one, and this is much harder than you might believe as someone who posts on GAF.

I'm involved in these kinds of rollout for Disney's corporate employees. We are only just now starting to push 7 due to legacy software compatibility concerns and issues with ie8 and some web apps.

Windows 8 will have an adoption rate closer to vista than to Windows 7.

i might even go lower. desktops and laptops arent being replaced anywhere near as often as they were 10 years ago, and smartphones and tablets running ios and android have eaten into a lot of that marketshare Microsoft had with the casual market.

Windows 8 will have an adoption rate closer to vista than to Windows 7.

MS will backtrack on force-feeding Metro to desktop users who don't want it in Windows 9. People will probably actually want Win9. Quite frankly if I were MS I would be looking at patching the Win7 desktop back into Win8 right about now. When you are offering upgrades to everybody for $40 and nobody wants it even at that price, whereas MS received record pre-orders for that $99 Win7 upgrade, that's a sign your corporate agenda of cramming Metro down our collective throats is being resisted and you should stop.

I'm involved in these kinds of rollout for Disney's corporate employees. We are only just now starting to push 7 due to legacy software compatibility concerns and issues with ie8 and some web apps.

My organization actually only upgraded to Win7 late last year. That's Win7 and IE8, mind you. I doubt we'll move to IE9+ anytime soon as we also have specific software which is only qualified on IE8 and some of these applications are supplied by third-party vendors so we'll be allowed to upgrade when they see fit to support something newer than IE8.

Cipherr

It doesn't matter, everyone around you will. Assuming you have real people around you at any given time.

There is nothing in history to support this. The number of people who stuck with Win95, Win98 WinXP all say otherwise. Theres a very good chance it will happen again with 7. We will just have to see.

kehs

Banned
Even if I accept that as fact, its still pretty high numbers, combined with wp8 and Xbox, you're still going to have a whole lot of metro around you next year.

If you combine it with fewer and fewer PC sales all around, it might not be so evident.

---

Transformer update...I see nothing new. =(

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I'd buy it if they strip out the expensive audio stuff and dropped the price by 100 or something.

Actually, no I wouldn't, I already an htpc.

I think I just want the design.

kehs

Banned
Dont justify this thing. It shouldnt cost that much even if it run every streaming service in the world and hand assemble in Italy.

Its a developer beta platform, thats what it is. And no dont try to talk anybody or yourself into buying it.

It's basically an hdmi cable.

So one last little update about the progress on my Twitter app I am working on. From now on I will spare you until I have the app fully designed.

Here's the regular view for tweets.

Here's the picture expanded.

Here are the tweet options when you tap on a tweet.

I think now you can get a good picture of where I am going with this. It's going to be more of a content-consumption app and not something power-users who handle multiple (corporate) twitter clients will care for.

If you guys have any questions or suggestions let me know :)
(or just general encouragement and compliments are always welcome, too, of course ;))

LogicStep

All the customization options are so tempting to me. What main differences am I looking at if I go with an Android smartphone from my iPhone? Say I go with the top of the line phone atm (Galaxy S3?) will I be fine for at least 2-3 years as far as app support and OS updates? I ask because with iOS I don't have to worry about these things.

VanWinkle

So one last little update about the progress on my Twitter app I am working on. From now on I will spare you until I have the app fully designed.

I think now you can get a good picture of where I am going with this. It's going to be more of a content-consumption app and not something power-users who handle multiple (corporate) twitter clients will care for.

(or just general encouragement and compliments are always welcome, too, of course ;))

Looks great, man! Only thing, not sure how I like the look of the "13" or the pyramid shape. They kind of look out of place, but that could just be a matter of getting used to. Still, though, looks fantastic overall. Are you thinking about having an option for a light holo theme as well?

zedge

Looks awesome.

Cipherr

Dont justify this thing. It shouldnt cost that much even if it run every streaming service in the world and hand assemble in Italy.

Its a developer beta platform, thats what it is. And no dont try to talk anybody or yourself into buying it.

Mad much? Goddamn son, calm down.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Eww. That's not Holo.

gutshot

All the customization options are so tempting to me. What main differences am I looking at if I go with an Android smartphone from my iPhone? Say I go with the top of the line phone atm (Galaxy S3?) will I be fine for at least 2-3 years as far as app support and OS updates? I ask because with iOS I don't have to worry about these things.

As long as you get a Nexus device directly from Google, you will receive OS updates as soon as they become available. If you get any other phone, including the S3, it becomes a crap shoot. As far as apps go, I'm pretty sure most apps work on every phone, unless you have a really outdated device.

I'd say your best bet, if you are mostly worried about staying current with the latest Android build, is to get the Galaxy Nexus. (Once Google starts selling it again that is.)

tino

Banned

As long as you get the popular models you should easily find custom rom that bring you up to date 3 years down the road.

This is especially important when you are getting a CDMA version.

Compare HTC to Samsung, I cant say which brand has easier to unlock phones/bootloaders. I only advise against Sony, some of the models have impossible to unluck bootloader and there is no way to flash custom rom. I am still very bitter about my experience with Xperia Play.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm sure he doesn't mind criticism, but at least be constructive.

Alright.

The gradient on every entry is a bit tacky and distracting.

The triangle is not a standard icon and there's no way to tell what it does without using it.

The clock tab and "13" are not delineated logically. There's no UX reason why they should be right next to eachother, and should be more separated.

Poor separation between posts making it hard to scan.

The magnifying glass icon should only be used for search. This is another obvious area where it's not following proper Android/Holo design guidelines. Magnifying glass means search, don't mess with that.

Off the top of my head.

Cipherr

You'll likely be fine for updates for 2 years. Not 3 though. Around that third year you could find your device quite a bit outdated, there would be rom support that could get you running the latest versions, but the manufacturers dont normally support it that long. The dated hardware tends to hinder the new stuff by that 3 year mark.

You'll be fine for two years though. Just know that if you dont by a Nexus device, you will get your updates every September and March or so, instead of every July and December. The updates will come, but they will be behind the official Nexus releases. That bothers some people, and others don't mind it at all. Choose your phone based on how you will feel about that.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

Everything looks great so far, but I would definitely prefer a more traditional holo themed action bar at the top. Just looking at this image, I'm not really sure what anything at the top does.

Everything below that looks ace though. Maybe minimize the gradients on each tweet.

Great job so far.

gutshot

Since we're offering constructive criticism to mescalineeyes, I would say that using dark grey text against a black background probably isn't ideal. It is a little hard to read.

That being said, I love the initiative, man. You didn't like any of the current Twitter apps so you decided to create your own. That's awesome.

I want to learn how to write apps. For someone with a good command of basic web coding (HTML/CSS/JavaScript/jQuery), how hard is it to transition into coding Android or iOS apps?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I want to learn how to write apps. For someone with a good command of basic web coding (HTML/CSS/JavaScript/jQuery), how hard is it to transition into coding Android or iOS apps?

Fairly hard... XML is a lot harder and more rigid than HTML/CSS, and the bindings to Java aren't as good as the DOM (can't believe I'd ever praise the DOM...) Java is similarly more rigid than JavaScript, not just for static typing but also constructors, inheritance, etc. The static keyword is also my #1 enemy since starting to make my app a week ago (I come from a web background as well.)

That said, it is nice having a lot of the basic building blocks right there to pick and mix from.

ep85

Motorola Atrix HD official.

RX0LO.jpg

http://www.motorola.com/us/consumer...B886-ATRIX-HD,en_US,pd.html?selectedTab=tab-1

TheTowel

I'm fucking pissed. Bent/dented the charging pins on my evo lte. It's a fucking brick now. Sprint won't attempt to open it up and fix it so I have to deal with asurion and pony up $150 for new charging port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom