• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker86

I'm fucking pissed. Bent/dented the charging pins on my evo lte. It's a fucking brick now. Sprint won't attempt to open it up and fix it so I have to deal with asurion and pony up $150 for new charging port.

The insurance deductible isn't $100 anymore for Sprint?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I'm fucking pissed. Bent/dented the charging pins on my evo lte. It's a fucking brick now. Sprint won't attempt to open it up and fix it so I have to deal with asurion and pony up $150 for new charging port.

Sounds like the same thing that happened to my evo 3d. I have no idea how the usb port broke but it still charges. I took it to a 3rd party Sprint store and they didn't want to attempt to fix it without insurance.

I emailed CS and said the phone is still under the 1 year warranty. They told me to take it to a corporate Sprint store that does repairs and Sprint would pay for a replacement or the cost to fix it.

Just email CS and say the usb port isn't working. They'll get it replaced for free. :p

Everything looks great so far, but I would definitely prefer a more traditional holo themed action bar at the top. Just looking at this image, I'm not really sure what anything at the top does.

Everything below that looks ace though. Maybe minimize the gradients on each tweet.

Great job so far.

I think when you use it everything will become crystal clear. The "clock" stands for timeline. The 13 next to it for the number of notifications and messages accumulated. If you press the timeline icon you get a list of other views (mentions, retweets, messages, etc).

The triangle/pyramid takes you all the way back to the top wherever you are. Tell me that isn't useful! ;)

And andrex, thanks, that was really helpful. I am new to this ux so every little bit of guidance helps. The gradients you'll have to live with though ;)

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I'll make you proud! :D

Motorola Atrix HD official.

RX0LO.jpg

http://www.motorola.com/us/consumer...B886-ATRIX-HD,en_US,pd.html?selectedTab=tab-1

Really nice design... which is kind of weird to say since this it Motorola (never really liked any of their Android designs to date).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
And andrex, thanks, that was really helpful. I am new to this ux so every little bit of guidance helps. The gradients you'll have to live with though ;)

Sorry if I was harsh, I'm just particularly attuned to interaction design stuff. :p

I'd definitely read the Android design guidelines -- not to make a "generic" app, but to make one that honors platform conventions.

Really nice design... which is kind of weird to say since this it Motorola (never really liked any of their Android designs to date).

Them and HTC seem to be getting better while Samsung is getting worse, IMO.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I think when you use it everything will become crystal clear. The "clock" stands for timeline. The 13 next to it for the number of notifications and messages accumulated. If you press the timeline icon you get a list of other views (mentions, retweets, messages, etc).

The triangle/pyramid takes you all the way back to the top wherever you are. Tell me that isn't useful! ;)

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I'll make you proud! :D

There's a lot more to improve, IMO, but like I said before, I like the starting point. I think if you look at Boid, you'll see how Holo guidelines can help.

Please make sure to include an off white theme. I prefer that scheme rather than fully dark.

Nice to see Moto mostly ditching MotoBlur, the ugly duckling of the Android skin world (not saying that their competition was doing much better either...)

Still, if less custom apps/skins means faster upgrades for consumers, great.

It's nice to see that Google's purchase of Moto has made them reconsider some of the their more terrible decisions regarding Android skinning.

That, and Moto has gained a really bad reputation for slow, buggy, unstable, crash-tastic phones and it's basically because of their Motoshit skinning. There wasn't ever anything wrong with Moto's hardware but their software people were dropping the ball in incredible ways and something eventually had to give.

Toki767

Does Verizon own the Droid name? I feel like Motorola would be better branding all their phones that if possible because that's still what a lot of people associate android phones with.

Does Verizon own the Droid name? I feel like Motorola would be better branding all their phones that if possible because that's still what a lot of people associate android phones with.

Verizon licensed the Droid name from LucasFilm (not kidding) and made it their brand.

There's a lot more to improve, IMO, but like I said before, I like the starting point. I think if you look at Boid, you'll see how Holo guidelines can help.

Please share. I'd love to hear your thoughts. You can PM me if you prefer.

Please make sure to include an off white theme. I prefer that scheme rather than fully dark.
I will definitely do that for V2. (same goes for multi-account support)

ep85

AT&T is really killing it with Android phones lately. After being Apple's bitch for so long they now have a High-End offering from HTC, Samsung, Motorola and Sony. And I'm sure LG will throw in a 4X HD variant soon.

Pachimari

Why do I get ads in my notification bar?

I downloaded some live wallpapers that said I would get ads because they were free, but I have since uninstalled those wallpapers but I still get ads - how come?

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Download Addons Detector and that should identify dodgy apps that are likely to spam you with notification ads.

Before you uninstall them, make sure you give them the 1-star rating they deserve.

JoeFu

Banned
Why do I get ads in my notification bar?

I downloaded some live wallpapers that said I would get ads because they were free, but I have since uninstalled those wallpapers but I still get ads - how come?

On Jellybean if you longpress the ads on the notification bar it'll bring you to the app that is sending those notifications and you can disable them.

Pachimari

Download Addons Detector and that should identify dodgy apps that are likely to spam you with notification ads.

Before you uninstall them, make sure you give them the 1-star rating they deserve.
Thanks, just downloaded it - I'll give it a go and make sure they get a "bad" rating.

On Jellybean if you longpress the ads on the notification bar it'll bring you to the app that is sending those notifications and you can disable them.
Oh yeah, I knew about this feature, but didn't know the long press also would function for ads - thanks.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Anyone have Cyanogen on Droid X? I am having issues with my camera working. It takes the picture, but then the picture just stays on screen and it never saves it anywhere and I can't take another pic until I go to the home screen and back in.

Instragram force closes when I take a pic too.

JoeFu

Banned
Awesome, I check my notifications and it's telling me 25 min to work! Too bad it's my school, but good think you can change the settings. Pretty sweet.

Is it possible to bring up the media controls when I press the volume buttons? I really hate that I have to go back to the home screen or player just to switch or pause songs. I really miss that coming from Windows Phone.

Is it possible to bring up the media controls when I press the volume buttons? I really hate that I have to go back to the home screen or player just to switch or pause songs. I really miss that coming from Windows Phone.

there's a widget and in JB at least it's also in the notification drawer....
hope that helps?

I'm sorry, I should've mentioned that I use Spotify and all it shows me in the drawer is the name and album art of the song.

Having a solution that works across all apps would be great.

kehs

Banned
I'm sorry, I should've mentioned that I use Spotify and all it shows me in the drawer is the name and album art of the song.

Having a solution that works across all apps would be great.

Notification toggle.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...Toggle&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

Add the media toggles, and whatever media player is currently being used will respond to the play/next/previous controls.

Otherwise, send an angry email to spotify and tell them to implement media controls in their notification. =D

Nicktendo86

Oh yeah, I knew about this feature, but didn't know the long press also would function for ads - thanks.

That long press feature is a god send. Out of interest, what was the rouge wallpaper? I've downloaded a live jelly bean style wallpaper and it has been really good so far, no adds in my notification bar.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
AT&T is really killing it with Android phones lately. After being Apple's bitch for so long they now have a High-End offering from HTC, Samsung, Motorola and Sony. And I'm sure LG will throw in a 4X HD variant soon.

I'd actually go so far as to say they have the best Android offerings of any current carrier with the only hitch being Verizon has the Nexus device that AT&T doesn't.

Actually Verizon who I use to think of as the premier Android carrier has been slipping lately. All 4 carriers have the GS3, and the only other phone Verizon really has is the G Nexus. Sprint and T-Mobile at least have some HTC phones as well that Verizon doesn't have.

Toki767

I'd actually go so far as to say they have the best Android offerings of any current carrier with the only hitch being Verizon has the Nexus device that AT&T doesn't.

Actually Verizon who I use to think of as the premier Android carrier has been slipping lately. All 4 carriers have the GS3, and the only other phone Verizon really has is the G Nexus. Sprint and T-Mobile at least have some HTC phones as well that Verizon doesn't have.

Even on the Galaxy Nexus end, Google sells the one that works for AT&T directly if that counts.

kehs

Banned

Maybe Verizon is focusing their attention on WP8 launch. Verizon did wonders for Android, they could probably hit it out of the park again.

kinggroin

Banned
Anyone have Cyanogen on Droid X? I am having issues with my camera working. It takes the picture, but then the picture just stays on screen and it never saves it anywhere and I can't take another pic until I go to the home screen and back in.

Instragram force closes when I take a pic too.

Check the rootzwiki page for that rom. there should be a camera fix for it.

Pachimari

That long press feature is a god send. Out of interest, what was the rouge wallpaper? I've downloaded a live jelly bean style wallpaper and it has been really good so far, no adds in my notification bar.

You got a link for that one?
It was just some dancing girls wallpapers (were just curious but nothing I'll have permanently, I prefer the stock JB wallpaper), so nothing surprising in them having ads.

Toki767

Since I got my new Galaxy S III, I played around with my old Captivate by installing some different roms. I gotta say, the AOKP roms are really really impressive. So many customization options.

3rdman

Sorry, I should have specified...I have a Galaxy S 4G which has a few differences. I don't think anyone is presently working on an ICS port of my phone at the moment but I'm sure that will change.

I don't know who else may be using the Galaxy S 4G but if you are, you can finally join the ICS bandwagon! The geniuses at TEAM ACID have put together a beautiful build of CM9 that has been my daily driver for over 2 weeks without major issues.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1730954

gcubed

Maybe Verizon is focusing their attention on WP8 launch. Verizon did wonders for Android, they could probably hit it out of the park again.

Verizon never really had the biggest selection. They got burned by the Rezound and have been gun shy on previous phones that caused problems for them... ahem MS. They have a decent stable of phones and seem to be a Moto first shop anyway. The HTC and the GS3 are just about the same phone in the US anyway... one you have to take a chance on, one is guaranteed to sell millions. Not hard to pick

tokkun

Sprint might have an argument as well, as it has the best One X variant and the Galaxy Nexus and has tighter integration with Google services like Wallet and Voice than the other carriers.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Sprint might have an argument as well, as it has the best One X variant and the Galaxy Nexus and has tighter integration with Google services like Wallet and Voice than the other carriers.

I'd agree with this. Only reason I said AT&T was because of the Atrix seemingly being AT&T bound.

Verizon I'd actually put behind AT&T and Sprint now that all 3 have the iPhone and those two have better Android options than Verizon. Plus not as if Verizon has a ton of good WP options either.

Verizon needs to step their game up.

PS: Friday now is Monday for me. Holiday + SHITTY UPS THAT DOESN'T DO SATURDAY DELIVERY = Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom