• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toki767

Verizon never really had the biggest selection. They got burned by the Rezound and have been gun shy on previous phones that caused problems for them... ahem MS. They have a decent stable of phones and seem to be a Moto first shop anyway. The HTC and the GS3 are just about the same phone in the US anyway... one you have to take a chance on, one is guaranteed to sell millions. Not hard to pick

Verizon doesn't actually have a One X variant like the Evo 4G LTE on Sprint. The Droid Incredible LTE is probably more like the One S instead of the One X with exception to the Super LCD screen instead of an AMOLED one. I think they definitely dropped the ball by not opting to get at least some kind of variant for HTC's flagship.

teiresias

Can someone clear something up for me concerning Google Music (the Android app, specifically). If I turn on "offline music only" and copy all of my music to my 64GB SDcard from my PC, will Google Music be able to see it and play it, fine, or am I required to "make music available" offline through the app to get it to see offline music?

kehs

Banned
Can someone clear something up for me concerning Google Music (the Android app, specifically). If I turn on "offline music only" and copy all of my music to my 64GB SDcard from my PC, will Google Music be able to see it and play it, fine, or am I required to "make music available" offline through the app to get it to see offline music?

The Google Music app will be able to see all music you put on manually on the device. (Assuming it's right codec/type).

You don't even have to sign into the Google account to use it as a regular music app.

Think of anything you moved manually as being Pinned permanently. Those options for offline music are for music you're syncing from the service itself. . When you listen to a song it gets stored in the cache and is there for "offline" use so that will show up too if you choose to use "offline music" only.

teiresias

The Music app will be able to see all music you put on manually on the device. (assuming it's right coded/type).

You don't even have to sign into the google account to use it as a regular music app.

Good to know, thanks. I wasn't really wanting to sync my entire music collection via google music on my phone, haha. I'll just have to keep the on-device folder updated with new purchases I guess (it's basically just a complete copy of my iTunes "Music" folder in the iTunes library anyway, so it should be fairly simple).

Exuro

Probably ot but I my dad's droid 2 screen shattered after dropping it a while ago. He ordered a new screen/digitizer and I popped it in but theres two bands on the screen that aren't accepting touch input. Anyway to figure out what the issue(through apps or something) is or should I not even try?

kehs

Banned
Good to know, thanks. I wasn't really wanting to sync my entire music collection via google music on my phone, haha. I'll just have to keep the on-device folder updated with new purchases I guess (it's basically just a complete copy of my iTunes "Music" folder in the iTunes library anyway, so it should be fairly simple).

No prob. I tried doing that set up, I ended up just using Google Music as my "master" DB for everything and then just downloading from there. It's a little bit slower, but I don't have to worry about maintaining two separate "masters".

teiresias

No prob. I tried doing that set up, I ended up just using Google Music as my "master" DB for everything and then just downloading from there. It's a little bit slower, but I don't have to worry about maintaining two separate "masters".

Will Music save music made available offline to the SDcard now, or does it still have the problem where it will only save music to the internal memory? I guess I could see me getting my initial collection onto the card via PC and then just getting any newly added music via the cloud.

kehs

Banned
Will Music save music made available offline to the SDcard now, or does it still have the problem where it will only save music to the internal memory? I guess I could see me getting my initial collection onto the card via PC and then just getting any newly added music via the cloud.

I'm not sure about where it saves it to(what device do you have?), I'm pretty sure the offline music gets cached on the sdcard though.

kehs

Banned
Galaxy S3

Quick search tells me it saves to the internal memory. That will probably change once you get to 4.1 though, as they added official support for apps to access "external" storage.* I guess if you have a lot of music you'd be better off saving it directly on the device rather than pinning from Google music, for now.

*don't hold me to that! =P

gcubed

Verizon doesn't actually have a One X variant like the Evo 4G LTE on Sprint. The Droid Incredible LTE is probably more like the One S instead of the One X with exception to the Super LCD screen instead of an AMOLED one. I think they definitely dropped the ball by not opting to get at least some kind of variant for HTC's flagship.

Yea but why? Its not like its lighting the world on fire, and its just another mouth to feed. Better to spend the time and resources on a sure thing since its basically the same exact phone

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yea but why? Its not like its lighting the world on fire, and its just another mouth to feed. Better to spend the time and resources on a sure thing since its basically the same exact phone

What resources though? I mean Samsung is going to give you the GS3 anyways. What resources would it have taken to get the a One/Evo phone a few months earlier to sell? Wouldn't all those resources be on the HTC side of things having to create a phone for Verizon bands?

reKon

Banned
I lol'd:

gsmarena_001.jpg

more like the HTC Non X. it doesn't even have an ImageSense processor for the camera.

gcubed

What resources though? I mean Samsung is going to give you the GS3 anyways. What resources would it have taken to get the a One/Evo phone a few months earlier to sell? Wouldn't all those resources be on the HTC side of things having to create a phone for Verizon bands?

Sales, distribution, testing, ongoing support. Every phone put on the shelf at a carrier in the US requires time and money from the carrier. That's why they had no interest in previous windows phones either.

Grass is green, water is wet, CM10 is coming.

CyanogenMod

On Jelly Bean

Unless you have been internet deprived lately, you are aware that Android 4.1 aka Jelly Bean (JB) is due out in the coming weeks. Which inevitably leads to the question: How does this affect me CyanogenMod?

Now, to preface this, we do not have our hands on the source code, and things in this post may change dependent on analysis of the code first hand and the impacts. That said, we do have a general understanding of the changes and what we can expect, and this post serves to highlight the key changes.

CyanogenMod Next

Many have asked whether JB will be CM9.1 or CM10. Keeping with the pattern thus far, every newly named AOSP update results in a bump to the CM major version. This has the added benefit of fitting into the pattern of [insert codename position in the english alphabet] = CM version. Examples being: G is the 7th letter thus CM7, I is the 9th letter thus CM9 and J = 10.

I can’t believe its not Butter

The ‘Project Butter’ enhancements to Android are much anticipated and should not be a huge pain to merge. We anticipate some breakage in existing libs but nothing that the reference board devices or some hackery won’t overcome. Essentially, if your device met our criteria for CM9 (512mb RAM, etc) and is already supported, then you should be in line for CM10. There may be some added headaches around hwcomposer, but we’ll cross that bridge when we get source.

Another fresh start?

With CM9 (and ICS) being such a large jump from CM7 (GB) we decided it would be best and most efficient to essentially rewrite CM enhancements from scratch. This added a bit of time to our development cycle, but the initial investment in cleaning our codebase has paid off, and CM9 is better for it. Now that JB is around the corner, we are in a place where most of our code will merge cleanly into JB, with minimal fuss.

What needs rework?

Since we don’t have source, we obviously can’t give a 100% analysis. What we do anticipate refactoring is Trebuchet and the LockScreen enhancements, along with the Theme Engine.

In addition, we expect to have to hand merge (versus a more automated method) the updated Framework code. This isn’t because of massive changes, but from what we’ve heard, the Framework code has been split into multiple projects to better the PDK (Platform Development Kit). Should be doable in a weekend’s amount of time.

CM7, 9, and 10 at the same time?

Our goal is to release a stable CM 9.0.0 (and any needed .1’s). After that, we will work on CM7 and CM10 only. As stated above, CM9 devices are highly likely to get CM10, so maintaining a separate class of devices for CM9 only is inefficient.

ETA?

When it’s ready

HTC in big trouble. Profits down 57% and shipments tanking, they are now behind Samsung, Sony and ZTE in Android shipments and behind Samsung and Nokia in WP7 shipments.

They need to smarten up their act and dump Sense before it kills the company. They are getting such a bad reputation from people they dumped onto Sense 3.6 as it is buggy, slow and just a complete turd. I know that I will never, ever buy another HTC device, not because their current version of Sense is crap (Sense 4.0 is plenty usable), but the after-sales support is dogshit and I have no doubt that once the 2013 series comes out with Sense 5.0 they will dump Sense 4.6 onto the One devices and they will run like shit despite having the same specs as the 2013 devices.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wouldn't mind seeing a true Nexus Two made by HTC. Their design work on the original has yet to be topped, IMO. GNex came close in a couple ways.

Nicktendo86

HTC in big trouble. Profits down 57% and shipments tanking, they are now behind Samsung, Sony and ZTE in Android shipments and behind Samsung and Nokia in WP7 shipments.

They need to smarten up their act and dump Sense before it kills the company. They are getting such a bad reputation from people they dumped onto Sense 3.6 as it is buggy, slow and just a complete turd. I know that I will never, ever buy another HTC device, not because their current version of Sense is crap (Sense 4.0 is plenty usable), but the after-sales support is dogshit and I have no doubt that once the 2013 series comes out with Sense 5.0 they will dump Sense 4.6 onto the One devices and they will run like shit despite having the same specs as the 2013 devices.

Wow, I thought HTC were doing well, goes to show I've been living under my GNexus rock for too long. I have never ever considered getting a HTC, I'm not really sure why. Probably because of Sense.

tino

Banned

Lower than Sony?! I find it hard to believe. What does Sony have? Xperia UPS and the one year too late Xperia Ion. Sony has nothing! There is no way HTC sell worse than Sony.

HTC just need to slap itself and put removable battery backup their phones.

Lower than Sony?! I find it hard to believe. What does Sony have? Xperia UPS and the one year too late Xperia Ion. Sony has nothing! There is no way HTC sell worse than Sony.

HTC just need to slap itself and put removable battery backup their phones.

USA =/= World. Sony phones are extremely popular across Europe, South Asia and East Asia. They also have quite a big presence in Latin America while HTC have been exiting these markets.

tino

Banned
USA =/= World. Sony phones are extremely popular across Europe, South Asia and East Asia. They also have quite a big presence in Latin America while HTC have been exiting these markets.

Let me see some numbers. I can't find this article in my rss feed.

Let me see some numbers. I can't find this article in my rss feed.

We got the numbers at the bank this morning, figures are tracking behind Sony's conservative projections and way behind ZTE (who are set to become number two this year). For the first quarter 2012 HTC were third behind Sony, for the second quarter it looks like they will be fourth behind Sony/ZTE.

They have fucked up, big time. Pissed off too many customers and destroyed their reputation. I wouldn't be surprised if they became a takeover target for ZTE who could use the superior HTC branding.

Nicktendo86

I wonder what iphone numbers are like in the UK, I don't know about anyone else but in London I see iphones EVERYWHERE. One of the reasons I decided to go Android was because I was sick of seeing bloody iphones.

I wonder what iphone numbers are like in the UK, I don't know about anyone else but in London I see iphones EVERYWHERE. One of the reasons I decided to go Android was because I was sick of seeing bloody iphones.

iOS has a bigger market share in the UK than Android, one of the few remaining countries in this bracket. It is changing though, the Samsung GS3 will drive Android market share this summer and the Sony LT30i (Mint) will drive winter sales.

Nicktendo86

iOS has a bigger market share in the UK than Android, one of the few remaining countries in this bracket. It is changing though, the Samsung GS3 will drive Android market share this summer and the Sony LT30i (Mint) will drive winter sales.

Funny, the UK always seems to be on a different trend when it comes to Europe. Seen a few GS3's in the wild already actually (and my brother has one). Going back to your post about HTC though, I wonder if the One X is going to help? Again seen a couple in the wild but not that many... looks like the GS3 has just taken the wind out of it's sails completely (pun intended).

I wonder if HTC need to also consider their lower range phones? I see loads of people with the Wildfire/Wildfire S, and although there is the One V it's a kind of forgotten one in the corner. But that might be just a UK thing and not popular elsewhere.

**And a thought on the One V, which I think looks nice but anyone I mention it to, it reminds them of the Legend and they just think "oh that was sloow"

***Edit: Oh, the Desire C is the new Wildfire essentially? ...why stick it in the Desire brand, which has tended to be higher end than the name of your tiny phones?

I just wish with Sense, rather than port it upwards and then take bits out from previous versions, they now go back to nothing, get the ASOP and go "right, what can we actually improve", and then they add their lockscreen/widgets/camera app etc and don't dick around with stuff just because they can. Although I tend to be a bit more HTC defending (sometimes, not always) particularly compared to your views on them - your prediction of what'll happen when the 2013 ones come out sounds bang on.

tino

Banned
We got the numbers at the bank this morning, figures are tracking behind Sony's conservative projections and way behind ZTE (who are set to become number two this year). For the first quarter 2012 HTC were third behind Sony, for the second quarter it looks like they will be fourth behind Sony/ZTE.

They have fucked up, big time. Pissed off too many customers and destroyed their reputation. I wouldn't be surprised if they became a takeover target for ZTE who could use the superior HTC branding.

Are you getting world numbers? Or regional numbers?

HTC will be fine. They have a patent fighting strategy, and they are going to design low end ARM chip themselves. ZTE hasn't dealt with any of these and they will have to. In the end I don't really care. I can't buy HTC stock anyway. Why would ZTE buy the mediocre HTC brand anyway? I can see ZTE spend a couple billion for the name of "Nokia".

Are they still spending any time developing Windows Phone devices? Because that's not a way to high profitability, surely?

..Oh, and crap like the MediaLink. Yes, £80 or whatever is totally reasonable for that. I know accessories tend to cost way more than they're worth but that's also a way to put anyone off buying them ever.

Are you getting world numbers? Or regional numbers?

HTC will be fine. They have a patent fighting strategy, and they are going to design low end ARM chip themselves. ZTE hasn't dealt with any of these and they will have to. In the end I don't really care. I can't buy HTC stock anyway.

Worldwide shipments, sell-in, not production. HTC are not going to be designing their own SoC, they have not made any kind of indication that they would even consider going into it, for now they will stick to Qualcomm and Nvidia. Samsung are really the only company with enough capital to make their own SoC in enough quantity, Sony would be able to do it if they went into a long term partnership with Toshiba, but even they use Qualcomm and ST-E designs rather than in house ones and they are huge compared to HTC. On ZTE, not really, why would they have to? They can just source any old chip and stick it in their devices and sell them for cheap. That's their business plan, as cheap as possible.

HTC is going down the road that Moto recently went down. People have really come to hate the heavy Android skins because of how shitty they are compared to stock, and widespread availability of the Galaxy Nexus has made stock Android much more prominent recently. The tablet makers have mostly stuck with stock Android except Samsung, so Nexus 7 won't have as much impact as Galaxy Nexus did on HTC, Samsung, and Motorola and their shitty skins.

I guess HTC has a chance to reboot Sense and make it a lightweight skin like Moto's Ice Cream Blurwich which is actually very close to stock Android with useful enhancements inserted. Samsung has gotten away with Touchwiz because of the many useful things it adds to stock Android like a superior media player but they will also need to see the light and stop trying to revert ICS to look like Gingerbread.

tino

Banned
Worldwide shipments, sell-in, not production. HTC are not going to be designing their own SoC, they have not made any kind of indication that they would even consider going into it, for now they will stick to Qualcomm and Nvidia. Samsung are really the only company with enough capital to make their own SoC in enough quantity, Sony would be able to do it if they went into a long term partnership with Toshiba, but even they use Qualcomm and ST-E designs rather than in house ones and they are huge compared to HTC. On ZTE, not really, why would they have to? They can just source any old chip and stick it in their devices and sell them for cheap. That's their business plan, as cheap as possible.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile...ystem_on_Chips_for_Mobile_Devices_Rumour.html

Alright. Personally I don't care about HTC. I just have problem with your statement that Sony is selling better than HTC. If you don't have number to show me then fine. I am just saying from the markets I follow, HTC is still selling way more than Sony. And whatever HTC problem has right now, Sony has these problems too. The only advantage Sony has over HTC is having access to display screens. Sony still don't know how to deal with carriers in carrier-dominated countries.

Plus HTC is only Taiwanese mobile company worth a damn, I am sure they will get government backed tax breaks just like Samsung does. Lets just say we agree to disagree and stop there.

Vanillalite

Did I ever mention how much I hate UPS?

Placed my order Tuesday night on Amazon... Got 2 day Free Shipping... Phone Coming Monday... Yeah... 2 day shipping....

FedEx is like infinitely better in this regard as they 1) will deliver that shit as soon as they get it and 2) they'll let me come pick that shit up at their distribution center if I know it's there. UPS won't do they 1st. They'll just hold it. They also will only let you do the 2nd AFTER they've tried to make a deliver and missed you if it's a must sign for package.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile...ystem_on_Chips_for_Mobile_Devices_Rumour.html

Alright. Personally I don't care about HTC. I just have problem with your statement that Sony is selling better than HTC. If you don't have number to show me then fine. I am just saying from the markets I follow, HTC is still selling way more than Sony. And whatever HTC problem has right now, Sony has these problems too. The only advantage Sony has over HTC is having access to display screens. Sony still don't know how to deal with carriers in carrier-dominated countries.

Plus HTC is only Taiwanese mobile company worth a damn, I am sure they will get government backed tax breaks just like Samsung does. Lets just say we agree to disagree and stop there.

Fair enough. I agree with you about Sony and not getting carrier dominated countries, that's why they can't crack the US.

ep85

Placed my order Tuesday night on Amazon... Got 2 day Free Shipping... Phone Coming Monday... Yeah... 2 day shipping....

FedEx is like infinitely better in this regard as they 1) will deliver that shit as soon as they get it and 2) they'll let me come pick that shit up at their distribution center if I know it's there. UPS won't do they 1st. They'll just hold it. They also will only let you do the 2nd AFTER they've tried to make a deliver and missed you if it's a must sign for package.

Good things come to those who wait. :)

Vanillalite

Good things come to those who wait. :)

7 Days from when I ordered to deliver isn't good things come to those who wait. It's called getting bent over by shitty service.

I should have known considering everyone I know has had problems with them. Like just recently my brother ordered an iPad 3 from his corporate store, and UPS just "lost" that bitch. Took him like a month to straighten it all out.

Circle T

If you placed the order in the evening Tuesday, then you missed that day's shipping. With Weds being a holiday, it would have shipped out with Thursday's stuff, thus making Monday the 2nd business day for shipping. Had you placed the order earlier in the day Tues, you would have had it today.

Vanillalite

If you placed the order in the evening Tuesday, then you missed that day's shipping. With Weds being a holiday, it would have shipped out with Thursday's stuff, thus making Monday the 2nd business day for shipping. Had you placed the order earlier in the day Tues, you would have had it today.

FedEx always delivers my stuff as does USPS. UPS... not so much...

FedEx would have had my stuff here Today or Tomorrow. They always do. Tis the reason I always try and use FedEx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom