• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I ever mention how much I hate UPS?

Placed my order Tuesday night on Amazon... Got 2 day Free Shipping... Phone Coming Monday... Yeah... 2 day shipping....

FedEx is like infinitely better in this regard as they 1) will deliver that shit as soon as they get it and 2) they'll let me come pick that shit up at their distribution center if I know it's there. UPS won't do they 1st. They'll just hold it. They also will only let you do the 2nd AFTER they've tried to make a deliver and missed you if it's a must sign for package.

Shouldn't have abandoned Windows Phone.

My Focus totally shat on me. I had to do something. Even trying a factory reset and/or doing a usb wipe to factory with a image wouldn't work. IDK WTF happened to my Focus. So I had to get a phone.

Excuses, Brettison. Just lame excuses. Used Windows Phones are dirt cheap on Ebay. Could've gotten a Focus there.

Circle T

FedEx always delivers my stuff as does USPS. UPS... not so much...

FedEx would have had my stuff here Today or Tomorrow. They always do. Tis the reason I always try and use FedEx.

Understood. I'm just explaining why it happened. As someone who orders probably 100+ items from them a year (yay Prime), that is just how it works. You need to order before ~5PM to get it to ship out that day. Had you done that on Tuesday, regardless of UPS delivering it, you would have had it today.

tino

Banned
It doesn't say H on mine, how do I turn on 3G? It's not in the quick control widget, can't find it in settings either.

You have a GSM Nexus, your 3G band is compatible to every 3G band in the world. Do a speed test first, and then check your apn. Otherwise your area doesn't have 3G.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Understood. I'm just explaining why it happened. As someone who orders probably 100+ items from them a year (yay Prime), that is just how it works. You need to order before ~5PM to get it to ship out that day. Had you done that on Tuesday, regardless of UPS delivering it, you would have had it today.

Just is why FedEx is superior. I won't be as frustrated if I didn't inquire about it, and they told me to e-mail them. I e-mailed them. It went through. Then they were like "heyyyy we never got your e-mail on your inquiry" even though I triple checked the e-mail addy given, and the e-mail went through 110% on my end through gmail.

rozay

Banned
It doesn't say H on mine, how do I turn on 3G? It's not in the quick control widget, can't find it in settings either.
What country do you live in? Is your sim card new or old? You might be on an older APN for the network you're on.

I don't believe the stock software has an H+ symbol but I could be wrong.

Doopliss

To be fair I'm excited to see what WP8 brings but Android now is finally hitting its stride. JB is going to take us for a ride.
Jelly Bean seems ok (still not as smooth as an iPhone), but I'm eagerly anticipating the performance of Cortex-A15 hardware running Android 5.0 Knickerbocker Glory with Project Baby's Bottom.

kehs

Banned

Setttings > Wifi/Networks> More...>Mobile Networks> Use only 2G Networks

That's how you turn off 3G. So if that's not checked then it's probably something to do with your cell service. Try grabbing a new sim card from your carrier if it's really old.

The Network symbol has an H that is used for both HSPA and HSPA + networks on Google phones. Only certain companies differentiate. Phones form T-Mo use a 4G for HSPA+, so does Apple.

LogicStep

So what's the consensus on the Galaxy Note? Any word of when a new Note will come out. I'm looking at the Note and S3 for my next phone. I still need to see the iPhone 5 but I'm not expecting much different as far as the OS goes so I'm looking at Android.

Toki767

So what's the consensus on the Galaxy Note? Any word of when a new Note will come out. I'm looking at the Note and S3 for my next phone. I still need to see the iPhone 5 but I'm not expecting much different as far as the OS goes so I'm looking at Android.

The Note is great if you want something that big. Personally I prefer being able to use a phone on one hand which the S3 allows me to do while the Note doesn't. Rumors are the Note 2 will be out in the fall with a bigger screen.

LogicStep

The Note is great if you want something that big. Personally I prefer being able to use a phone on one hand which the S3 allows me to do while the Note doesn't. Rumors are the Note 2 will be out in the fall with a bigger screen.

Bigger screen? Damn, it's already big enough! :O What does Fall mean, around what months? September?

gcubed

That's how you turn off 3G. So if that's not checked then it's probably something to do with your cell service. Try grabbing a new sim card from your carrier if it's really old.

The Network symbol has an H that is used for both HSPA and HSPA + networks on Google phones. Only certain companies differentiate. Phones form T-Mo use a 4G for HSPA+, so does Apple.

Its been a while since I had the GSM nexus ... thought it had a plus. I think JB makes it just 3g right?

Toki767

Bigger screen? Damn, it's already big enough! :O What does Fall mean, around what months? September?

Well to be fair the rumor is the screen would be 5.5" instead of 5.3", but the size is probably about the same as the original Note since they probably just decreased the bezel. I'd imagine October or November for Europe/Asia. No clue about the US since I'm not sure how popular the Note even was over here.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Well to be fair the rumor is the screen would be 5.5" instead of 5.3", but the size is probably about the same as the original Note since they probably just decreased the bezel. I'd imagine October or November for Europe/Asia. No clue about the US since I'm not sure how popular the Note even was over here.

Would it keep the same aspect ratio if it were just slimming the bezel?

Nicktendo86

Also rumored to be quad core and pre loaded with jelly bean. Pretty safe assumptions but nice all the same.

LogicStep

Also rumored to be quad core and pre loaded with jelly bean. Pretty safe assumptions but nice all the same.

That doesn't sound bad at all. I might wait for that. Will we see a new version of the S, S4 maybe any time soon or is the S3 gonna last for a year before we get a new one? I'm looking to upgrade by the end of the year.

Toki767

That doesn't sound bad at all. I might wait for that. Will we see a new version of the S, S4 maybe any time soon or is the S3 gonna last for a year before we get a new one? I'm looking to upgrade by the end of the year.

Galaxy S4 probably won't be for another year. The other viable option is to wait for the next Nexus phone which should be announced around October as well. It'll probably have hardware very close to the S3, but with a stock android OS.

Pachimari

You have a GSM Nexus, your 3G band is compatible to every 3G band in the world. Do a speed test first, and then check your apn. Otherwise your area doesn't have 3G.

What country do you live in? Is your sim card new or old? You might be on an older APN for the network you're on.

I don't believe the stock software has an H+ symbol but I could be wrong.

I'm not saying my 3G doesn't work, I were just curious if it were supposed to be showcased by a '3G' icon at the top bar. My SIM has 3G and works perfectly fine on my iPhone 4, and is probably working perfectly fine on my Galaxy Nexus, but I just wanted an indication of it being turned on, on the Nexus hehe. :)

tino

Banned

Nah I wouldn't wait. It took Galaxy Note half a year to drop below $500 (unsubsidized) and the new one is rumored to have 16:9 screen? The Galaxy Note 1 is a better deal.

gcubed

I'm not saying my 3G doesn't work, I were just curious if it were supposed to be showcased by a '3G' icon at the top bar. My SIM has 3G and works perfectly fine on my iPhone 4, and is probably working perfectly fine on my Galaxy Nexus, but I just wanted an indication of it being turned on, on the Nexus hehe. :)

do a speedtest. If its over 50kbps you are on GSM

Blackhead

Redarse
Would it keep the same aspect ratio if it were just slimming the bezel?

They could put software buttons on there, slim the bezel and still keep the same aspect ratio with a larger screen yet smaller device. Bonus points to Samsung if they allow the OS to switch the software buttons out for a full
1080p
screen experience when the S-pen is being used.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
They could put software buttons on there, slim the bezel and still keep the same aspect ratio with a larger screen yet smaller device. Bonus points to Samsung if they allow the OS to switch the software buttons out for a full
1080p
screen experience when the S-pen is being used.

If this happened, I may upgrade. 1080P or bust.

TheTowel

Wow, found a way to charge my evo with the buster charging port. Amazing. Jerry rigged the cord and the charger. Temporary fix, but she'll do.

tino

Banned
^^ Is the battery removable? Get a spear battery and an external charger for cheap on ebay.

The Galaxy Note is perfect for me. It has the right screen ratio, large battery and SD slot, plus fast enough CPU.

The only thing that can make me upgrade is either one, a much more sensitive stylus, or a Pureview stype camera. This is doable for Samsung (and Sony, since they both make DSLR sensors), but you have to sacrifice thickness.

LogicStep

Man I'm watching a bunch of Note videos on YouTube and I'm in love with the phone. Damn I'm so into that huge ass screen. I want to see the Note 2 already, I really hope they show it this year.

In other news...

GameStop (US) has apparently sold out of its first shipment of Nexus 7's and is currently reserving for a 2nd shipment in early August...

Hopefully I can still find a GameStop with some 1st shipment space.

Danj

What's the minimum phone/CPU you need to be able to play back 720p H.264 MKVs smoothly? I have an LG Optimus 2X which has Tegra 2 and is DivX certified so it does play MKVs, but it can't quite cope with 720p ones.

Tegra 2 lacks the ARM SIMD (NEON) instructions and so is kinda bad at media stuff like video decoding. You can try the software players like MX Player and Dice Player which have Tegra 2 optimizations to get around that and see how that works for you.

In general the other dual-core CPUs (Snadragon S3/S4, TI OMAP, Samsung Exynos) have no issues with decoding of 720p H.264 mkv files, as long as you aren't using Hi10p. Right now the 10-bit decoding destroys the phone SoCs and probably will until people start implementing hardware 10-bit decoding.

JordanKZ

This should probably by in the Apps for Android thread, but if anyone is sick and tired of the official twitter app, I'd recommend either:

Tweet Lanes
or
Boid Beta

Both are really fantastic for such early releases. Tweet Lands has more features, but Boid is definitely better for loading times and performance.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Man I'm watching a bunch of Note videos on YouTube and I'm in love with the phone. Damn I'm so into that huge ass screen. I want to see the Note 2 already, I really hope they show it this year.

Latest Rumors is they want to get out for sure in Sept as Samsung wants to launch BEFORE the next iPhone drops. I think you have a good chance of this happening.

What's the minimum phone/CPU you need to be able to play back 720p H.264 MKVs smoothly? I have an LG Optimus 2X which has Tegra 2 and is DivX certified so it does play MKVs, but it can't quite cope with 720p ones.

Odd. Both my tablets with the Tegra 2 run 720p videos fine with MX player, they only struggle (badly) with 1080p videos.

TTOOLL

This should probably by in the Apps for Android thread, but if anyone is sick and tired of the official twitter app, I'd recommend either:

Tweet Lanes
or
Boid Beta

Both are really fantastic for such early releases. Tweet Lands has more features, but Boid is definitely better for loading times and performance.

Loved it, thanks! Will definitely recommend it.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Just wanted to say that I love my Galaxy S3. I'm not a beginner user of Android, as my touchpad has CM9. I really don't mind the touchwiz skin. Glad to have my first Android headset.

My previous phone was the iPhone 4, which I'm going to use as an iPod touch now. :D

TTOOLL

hi guys, third post on gaf I think, first here..
Just put an unnoficial version of CM9 in my LG P500 (optimus one) and holy shit...it's like a different phone, much faster, apps that were shit are good now. Of course it's not a good phone, but it is usable now. And it also made me like Android again, ICS is great, even in old phones like mine.

Now i just need to sell my iPad and buy a real phone. Galaxy Nexus, aka Galaxy X in Brazil, is at the top of my list right now.

Yoshiya

[Cross-posting from my misspost in the GNexus thread.]

I've been unable to use any mobile data since I upgraded my branded IncS to stock ICS using the HTC utility and a goldcard. Whenever I try to set a new APN it disappears, though only if I have changed the MNC to the required value (02 instead of the default 029). From what I've read it seems Android hides and disables any stored APNs if the MNC and MCC values differ from what it reads from the SIM - from this I've guessed that my old SIM, which I've used for at least three or four years, has never been properly readable but that the old carrier ROM had the correct values baked in. I'm planning to get a replacement SIM tomorrow - does it sound like I've got this right?

Apart from that ICS is a revelation. I don't hate the phone anymore and GPU performance has increased threefold - it seems Qualcomm's driver team woke up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom