• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
Hey android guys

Can anyone tell my why images in signatures for my exchange email account don't show up? They just show the URL

Cheers

Could be two things. emails don't show pictures by default, and there's also an option to only download attachments when on wifi.

Are you talking about the default email app, btw?

Could be two things. emails don't show pictures by default, and there's also an option to only download attachments when on wifi.

Are you talking about the default email app, btw?

Default yep

Using an S3 and doing field tests for work. I thought I turned the option on but it doesn't seem to have enacted

Question!! (Thanks in advance)

As I understand it, AT&T can tell you are tethering because they get information about the data that goes over there network. Specifically the type of browser that is being used to display that data.

And so if they see iE9 or Desktop Chrome or what have you, then they send you a warning about tethering, and if it continues, change your plan to a tethering plan...

The question is, if I tether to my Nexus 7 ,will they be able to tell that it's the tablet version of chrome, and not the mobile phone version of chrome? Is there some other way for them to detect that I am tethering at all?

Also, as a second part, is tethering with a 3rd party program "better" or "more private" than using the stock wifi hotspot on the phone?

Thanks for reading

Just got my HTC One S a few weeks ago. My first smartphone though I have played around with others quite a bit. Must say totally impressed by the quality of the device. Not sure there is a single other device on the market on any carrier that I would trade my phone for.

Talon

Just got my HTC One S a few weeks ago. My first smartphone though I have played around with others quite a bit. Must say totally impressed by the quality of the device. Not sure there is a single other device on the market on any carrier that I would trade my phone for.
Haha. How could you possibly know?

Haha. How could you possibly know?

-.-

I have used smartphones a lot. Just never owned one for myself. Had a work phone provided for the last 3 years that was not a smartphone so never needed to go get my own till now.

Talon

The One S is a great phone. So are the One X, GSIII, iPhone 4S, Galaxy Nexus, etc.

That's as good a phone as you'll find on T-Mobile.

The One S is a great phone. So are the One X, GSIII, iPhone 4S, Galaxy Nexus, etc.

That's as good a phone as you'll find on T-Mobile.

Yeah I stayed with T Mobile just because they have really good coverage in my area and it saves me a good 30$ a month. Watched a lot of reviews and One X was my second choice I just wanted a smaller phone.

GS III looked attractive but its look was not quite as sexy as the One S. Plus reviews put it about equal to the S/X or a tiny bit below (at least according to Cnet).

Talon

Yeah I stayed with T Mobile just because they have really good coverage in my area and it saves me a good 30$ a month. Watched a lot of reviews and One X was my second choice I just wanted a smaller phone.

GS III looked attractive but its look was not quite as sexy as the One S. Plus reviews put it about equal to the S/X or a tiny bit below (at least according to Cnet).
Hi five.

One S/X over the GSIII. Dat unibody.

GatorBait

Few questions for my Android brethren:

1. Is it worth picking up a Galaxy Nexus now, or is Google expected to release a new pure Android phone by year's end? I know there are some rumors of them releasing new devices via the Play Store.

2. What type of bloatware/level of control is Verizon exerting over their version of the Galaxy Nexus? I'm not currently beholden to staying with Verizon (I'm on a month-to-month contract right now), so if the phone or OS is gimped in any way, I wouldn't have an issue leaving for another carrier. (I also have no idea what the data plans are like with Verizon nowadays, so that may cause me to switch as well, if there are better alternatives).

3. Sort of a random question for anyone who has one of the dev build of Jelly Bean: For the Google Voice Search, is there any way to toggle off the displaying of the source for the pictures it brings up (i.e. the ones that say things like "Image: Wikipedia.com")? Just curious since that would be a cleaner look.

kehs

Banned
I don't see any option for the pictures, but probably not since its automated and part of the knowledege graph.

------

So the back key on quick controls doesn't work like the back button on the nav bar inside of the browser

If you get to the end of your history stack pressing the nav bar back button closes the tab, quick controls does not. Weird.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

1. Is it worth picking up a Galaxy Nexus now, or is Google expected to release a new pure Android phone by year's end? I know there are some rumors of them releasing new devices via the Play Store.

2. What type of bloatware/level of control is Verizon exerting over their version of the Galaxy Nexus? I'm not currently beholden to staying with Verizon (I'm on a month-to-month contract right now), so if the phone or OS is gimped in any way, I wouldn't have an issue leaving for another carrier. (I also have no idea what the data plans are like with Verizon nowadays, so that may cause me to switch as well, if there are better alternatives).

3. Sort of a random question for anyone who has one of the dev build of Jelly Bean: For the Google Voice Search, is there any way to toggle off the displaying of the source for the pictures it brings up (i.e. the ones that say things like "Imagine: Wikipedia.com")? Just curious since that would be a cleaner look.

More than likely there will be another Nexus device in the next idk 6 months or so. That being said you're going to be waiting like 4 months at least, and you can always wait for new phones in Android land.

If you do decide to go with the Galaxy Nexus make sure to grab one on Amazon if you want one on the cheap low. I know it's as low as a penny for some people. No real bloat wear on the Verizon version, but you do have to get the updates approved by Verizon verses the carrier unlocked phone sold through the Google Play store. Of course you can always root and rom around that.

That being said depending upon where you live you MIGHT get a better deal on Sprint, and they do have the Galaxy Nexus. The main thing Verizon has though is the largest current LTE network of the big 4.

3. Sort of a random question for anyone who has one of the dev build of Jelly Bean: For the Google Voice Search, is there any way to toggle off the displaying of the source for the pictures it brings up (i.e. the ones that say things like "Imagine: Wikipedia.com")? Just curious since that would be a cleaner look.
1. wait

3. the source is part of the information

That being said depending upon where you live you MIGHT get a better deal on Sprint, and they do have the Galaxy Nexus. The main thing Verizon has though is the largest current LTE network of the big 4.

At this point it's basically the Big 2. Sprint and T-Mobile are more like super-regional carriers than national carriers these days. In terms of LTE networks, Verizon has by far the largest, AT&T has started their rollout, and Sprint and T-Mobile are making noises regarding LTE but that's about it really.

GatorBait

More than likely there will be another Nexus device in the next idk 6 months or so. That being said you're going to be waiting like 4 months at least, and you can always wait for new phones in Android land.

If you do decide to go with the Galaxy Nexus make sure to grab one on Amazon if you want one on the cheap low. I know it's as low as a penny for some people. No real bloat wear on the Verizon version, but you do have to get the updates approved by Verizon verses the carrier unlocked phone sold through the Google Play store. Of course you can always root and rom around that.

Damn...I love Verizon's coverage, especially since I travel regular for work, but I don't know if I like the sound of Verizon having to "approve" Google's updates first. Isn't half the point of going with a pure Android phone that you don't have to wait for new updates while carriers drag their feet? I suppose it is all speculation at this point, but do you know if Verizon has made any announcements regarding how fast they are shooting for approving/pushing updates to the GNexus?

Thanks for the head's up on the Amazon deal. Getting the phone on the cheap like that may be motivation I needed to upgrade now instead of later.

Nekrono

Can't think of another place to ask so I'll ask here...

How the hell do you post in XDA Developers??? I created an account a while ago and I wasn't able to post in the development section until I had made 10 post that helped others which made sense except I can't post anywhere! not in General or Q&A sections!

How do you post or where?

tino

Banned
Can't think of another place to ask so I'll ask here...

How the hell do you post in XDA Developers??? I created an account a while ago and I wasn't able to post in the development section until I had made 10 post that helped others which made sense except I can't post anywhere! not in General or Q&A sections!

How do you post or where?

You have to "farm" in the retarded forums, such as the general forum for a while. My first id couldn't post at all. I had to created a new id for no apparent reason. Haha xda remind me of the communist government committees I had to deal with when I was in China.

adroit

Haha xda remind me of the communist government committees I had to deal with when I was in China.
My wife used to work with someone who was born in China and moved to the US as an adult (after getting his PhD). He was a grand master at dealing with bureaucracy. A very good person to have on your side.

Nekrono

You have to "farm" in the retarded forums, such as the general forum for a while. My first id couldn't post at all. I had to created a new id for no apparent reason. Haha xda remind me of the communist government committees I had to deal with when I was in China.

Yeah I think my account may be "bugged", I'll create a new one and hopefully that'll do it, thanks.

donjezzy

I have an iPad and a Galaxy S3 phone. I don't have an computer, but I'm trying to sync music from my iPad to my phone. Does anyone know if there any any apps to transfer the music?

r1chard

Does anyone else see slight ghosting on the screen of their Galaxy Nexus? It's really only visible on the screen of TweetDeck (a solid mid grey) after the swiftkey keyboard goes away (it has light keys on dark background.) A faint after-image of the keyboard is visible. I'm going to try to take a photo of it but I'm not confident I'll be able to capture the effect. It looks a lot like the ghosting people are seeing in the MBP retina displays.

Does anyone else see slight ghosting on the screen of their Galaxy Nexus? It's really only visible on the screen of TweetDeck (a solid mid grey) after the swiftkey keyboard goes away (it has light keys on dark background.) A faint after-image of the keyboard is visible. I'm going to try to take a photo of it but I'm not confident I'll be able to capture the effect. It looks a lot like the ghosting people are seeing in the MBP retina displays.

You're seeing image retention. This is a normal characteristic of Super AMOLED displays. If you display a static image long enough, you can get burn-in which is permanent on Super AMOLED too.

This is a problem they needed to solve for OLED TVs. Later this year we'll see if they solved it or not.

Finally changed to cm9 on my s2, going from gingerbread its like I got a brand new phone, love all the new features everything works and its so smooth

rozay

Banned
It's normal, your screen isn't going to die or anything.

Probably not a strictly Android related question but here I go.

How do you make buying a new phone every year as affordable as possible (without getting a contract)? From what I'm seeing most phones come out at $700~$800 and if I check eBay or Kijiji right now the Samsung Galaxy S2 goes for about $450. So am I going to spend about ~$300 on each phone after the initial $700 investment? Is there a cheaper way?

I'm in Canada if that helps or changes anything. My contract with Bell on my Samsung Galaxy S i9000m expires this September and I don't want to deal with Bell or waiting a whole year for Android 2.3 (and being stuck there) again.

OLED screens have burn in problems as the RGB organic dyes decay while they are used and not at a uniform rate.

AndyD

aka andydumi

How do you make buying a new phone every year as affordable as possible (without getting a contract)? From what I'm seeing most phones come out at $700~$800 and if I check eBay or Kijiji right now the Samsung Galaxy S2 goes for about $450. So am I going to spend about ~$300 on each phone after the initial $700 investment? Is there a cheaper way?

I'm in Canada if that helps or changes anything. My contract with Bell on my Samsung Galaxy S i9000m expires this September and I don't want to deal with Bell or waiting a whole year for Android 2.3 (and being stuck there) again.

That's about right, its the cost of being an early adopter every year. The alternative is to buy cheaper phones. Or hunt for used ones some months after they come out.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Wait a couple of months, buy used.

tino

Banned

You have to understand the used price curve. Less popular models and brands (LG Sony etc) will hit the steep curve just a few months after release. So you can wait til the used price gets stable after the dive and look for deals on ebay/Best Buy Auction/Craigslist. You can check price history on sites like camelcamelcamel.com to get a sense of the price history of a sibling model.

I actually don't want to buy a phone from private seller directly because you need time to test it. ebay is fine since I can return it if the 3g/4g doesn't work.

As for the steep curve, decent brand like HTC will stay high for almost a year. And for the more popular brand like iPhones or Galaxy S2 they are not worth it until the newer model come out. Their used price come with too much "added value" which will disappear after the new model come out. I wouldn't buy those.

Always make sure you can unlock the bootloader yourself before you commit on a model.

New phones are almost never worth it but I come across good deal from time to time. For example I got my International Galaxy Note new. I saw a "1 day deal" on ebay and after checking the completed auction prices I know I will barely lost any value if I decide to sell it in a year.

My favorite kind of deals are carrier close out deals. They are almost always below market value. I got a Galaxy Tab 7 inch for 199 from ATT. At the time I recommended people to get it and most people in the Android thread made fun of me because Kindle Fire was not announced yet and people think "7 inch tablets are for sissies ". One years later, I sold it on ebay for $310.

Mr Swine

Banned
hi guys, third post on gaf I think, first here..
Just put an unnoficial version of CM9 in my LG P500 (optimus one) and holy shit...it's like a different phone, much faster, apps that were shit are good now. Of course it's not a good phone, but it is usable now. And it also made me like Android again, ICS is great, even in old phones like mine.

Now i just need to sell my iPad and buy a real phone. Galaxy Nexus, aka Galaxy X in Brazil, is at the top of my list right now.

I have also a Optimus One, its slow as a dog but it works. Running on the latest (lol) Android OS 2.3. I think it's fast enough as it is for a old 600Mhz CPU

kehs

Banned

I typically don't pay more than $600 for any device and I'm not super impatient that I have to have it right away like shinshoryken. By the time I'm done with them I can get a couple hundred bucks or handed off to another person who would still think the N1 is pretty boss.

I also offset some of the cost by using upgrades on my mobile account and then flipping the phones. I have three lines on the account and the other two people don't care about having latest/greatest. Combine it with buy one/get one free offers and you come out not spending too much money overall.

edit: nvm. should have read the OP :p

See andrex, my OP isn't that bad!

----

AOSP 4.1.1 is being pushed. simlequir: Maybe we will get 4.1 this week.

hype.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-building/XBYeD-bhk1o

Thanks for the replies/advice guys.

That camelcamelcamel.com site is a godsend :eek: I didn't know used phones could be so cheap: $400 for a used Galaxy Nexus looks like a steal. I can see myself going down the "wait a few months, buy used" route, but I'm afraid of the return policy (or lack of).

I guess I'll learn and see :p

Vanillalite

So I went for walk and came back to find this at my doorstep...

_preview_pducm.jpeg

Pctx

Banned
You got diapers from Amazon too? lulz.

In other news... flashed the legit AT&T ICS 4.0.4 on my phone and the thing is smooooooottttthhhh. I think I'm going to wait a month or so and then I'm going to start dicking with the custom ROM's. ICS on the Skyrocket is seriously like getting a new phone.

Vanillalite

You got diapers from Amazon too? lulz.

In other news... flashed the legit AT&T ICS 4.0.4 on my phone and the thing is smooooooottttthhhh. I think I'm going to wait a month or so and then I'm going to start dicking with the custom ROM's. ICS on the Skyrocket is seriously like getting a new phone.

I think I was suppose to but I got something else instead....

_preview_135u6u.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom