• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pctx

Banned
I think I was suppose to but I got something else instead....

_preview_135u6u.jpeg
Lol nice man. Have to let us know your impressions.

kehs

Banned
man, I waited a lot to be approved lol. Got scared you know...
now I'm not sure of who is telling the truth =p

I'm just being a clown, like brettison said I was just joking about xda's rules for posting. You can post links in here as long as their not one a few banned sites.

Toki767

You guys should check out Tweet Lanes. It's an amazingly slick ICS styled Twitter app. It's missing a few things but it has so much potential right now. Missing notifications and viewing conversation lists so far.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
WTF? Really.. sigh. Guy is a ray of sunshine here amongst the fanboy idiocy. Me included.. haha

Did you pick this over the S3?

Yes I did. I can go into my reasons for this if you or anyone else cares.

Also I can give my impressions of the phone, but figured it was older and most wouldn't really want to know now.

RuGalz

My GS3 is arriving tomorrow. Pretty excited except for the freaking locked bootloader. Hopefully they will change it in the future.

Anyway, a case or go naked? Not sure how scratch resistant the back of the phone is compared to the glass...

zedge

My GS3 is arriving tomorrow. Pretty excited except for the freaking locked bootloader. Hopefully they will change it in the future.

Anyway, a case or go naked? Not sure how scratch resistant the back of the phone is compared to the glass...

Naked. Feels good man. ;)

Yes I did. I can go into my reasons for this if you or anyone else cares.

Also I can give my impressions of the phone, but figured it was older and most wouldn't really want to know now.

Why not, I'm curious. I just didn't like the way it felt in hand, other than that its a great device.

jokkir

HUZZAH! Nexus S's Jellybean port finally has sound working!

I'll flash and maybe leave until the OTA is out

EDIT - The build is still a bit buggy

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
In general though it basically came down to I don't need the extra storage and as long as the battery holds up I'm good. That was the main knock every review/comparison to the GS3 has in the GS3 favor. Battery Life on the One X AT&T version actually seems to be the best out of bunch of the 4 phones (EU/NA version of GS3 + EU/NA Version of the One X). I'm coming from a phone with 8 gigs so space obviously isn't a big deal to me.

Since I'm in the US the phones outside of that are pretty much the same except for the late edition RAM bump. Bigger spec difference in EU. With little difference here I saw no reason to spend the extra $80 even if the GS3 might be better with the late RAM bump issue. Outside of that many liked the One X screen better and say it has a better camera. Again it's all so close between both phones it's preference.

I just saw no reason if they are neck and neck hardware wise to throw down $80 more. I got the One X on Amazon for just under $120 including shipping while the GS3 is basically $200 everywhere still. Plus I was going to reup my contract anyways so that sort of ruled out the GNexus (plus I wanted an LTE phone as I live in an LTE area).

That being all said I'd gladly give my own impressions of the AT&T variant of the One X for people who want some now that I've used it for a few hours.

Sheik

HUZZAH! Nexus S's Jellybean port finally has sound working!

I'll flash and maybe leave until the OTA is out

EDIT - The build is still a bit buggy

Oooh, please keep us updated! I'm curious to see how Jellybean runs on the Nexus S since ICS is wonky for me. I have tons of problems with it.

In general though it basically came down to I don't need the extra storage and as long as the battery holds up I'm good. That was the main knock every review/comparison to the GS3 has in the GS3 favor. Battery Life on the One X AT&T version actually seems to be the best out of bunch of the 4 phones (EU/NA version of GS3 + EU/NA Version of the One X). I'm coming from a phone with 8 gigs so space obviously isn't a big deal to me.

Since I'm in the US the phones outside of that are pretty much the same except for the late edition RAM bump. Bigger spec difference in EU. With little difference here I saw no reason to spend the extra $80 even if the GS3 might be better with the late RAM bump issue. Outside of that many liked the One X screen better and say it has a better camera. Again it's all so close between both phones it's preference.

I just saw no reason if they are neck and neck hardware wise to throw down $80 more. I got the One X on Amazon for just under $120 including shipping while the GS3 is basically $200 everywhere still. Plus I was going to reup my contract anyways so that sort of ruled out the GNexus (plus I wanted an LTE phone as I live in an LTE area).

That being all said I'd gladly give my own impressions of the AT&T variant of the One X for people who want some now that I've used it for a few hours.

*high five* One X is an excellent phone....even better with CleanRom.

I gave my hand on comparison of the One X vs. Gnex awhile ago...

and soon I will give my opinion on the One X vs S3 ....with a Gnex with jelly bean on the mix...

Wait, what? Hmm...So Google Now is part of GApps? Actually that makes sense...

Do they perhaps need to update Gapps to a new version?

There are roms out there you can flash so you can have google now.

I think I'll shelf this phone until a proper JB is out, flashing it every day is getting a little tiresome.

I just updated to an aosp rom and the gapps from 7/04. I'm using Now just fine.

*shrugs

yup, you must be. I am on gapps from 7/03.

Zeppu

Yeah I'm on the OTA port at the moment. I don't think I'll bother updating to a newer version until I know they've added support for more languages for GNow or when CM or AOKP start adding features.

It's not like the first release is buggy or anything.

Pctx

Banned
Google releases the Jelly Bean source code, AT&T releases the ICS updates for the GS II and Note.

I'm laughing. I think.

What's funny is I literally flashed via OCI ODIN the week prior because I was getting sick of waiting. Now that I'm running the final AT&T ICS 4.0.4 it's pretty slick. Reception and speeds are better than they were in the UL2 and UL5 releases which is good to see.

I think the biggest thing that I see with ICS being on more and more devices is the fact that it literally makes the phone feel brand new. Difference between Gingerbread and ICS on the Skyrocket is night and day. It's like going from a mid-2000's phone to a phone circa 2012. I would imagine that now that JB went to the AOSP and that we'll soon see dumps of the Skyrocket and Note, we'll have a JB ODIN flash this fall that will probably be stable enough to use.

I would not expect either the Skyrocket or the Note to get JB anytime this year officially though since AT&T is in no rush it seems. Besides, Google most likely releasing their Nexi' line to really push JB on all carriers makes me glad I put my trust in Android again.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yes, and 4.1 improves upon it. I really hope the Nexus gets the OTA this week.

Oh man, now you've got my hopes up. >_<

Would be aaamaazing if my VZW GNex got it this week... But it would have like, leaked by now if that was the case... Maybe next week?

Patriots7

For those with JB, is it true that Google is trying to get rid of the Black and blue theme that is Honeycomb/ICS? I believe I read it on The Verge, which is saddening since I actually liked the Tron theme.

Oh man, now you've got my hopes up. >_<

Would be aaamaazing if my VZW GNex got it this week... But it would have like, leaked by now if that was the case... Maybe next week?

Yeah, now I'm expecting JB this week and if it doesn't come out this week, I'll be pissed.

SimleuqiR

So, what ya think?

http://mashable.com/2012/07/10/ouya-kickstarter/

OUYA is an Android-based gaming console its creators say will retail for $99, and will bring more free-to-play games to the television. Julie Uhrman, CEO and founder of OUYA, says she wants the console to be a disruptor to the market that is too hard for small game developers to break into.

OUYA-Controller-640.jpeg

The OUYA (pronounced “OOO-YAH”, like a battle cry, says Uhrman) has already received public support from several independent game developers, including Marcus Persson, creator of Minecraft; Adam Saltsman of the popular iOS title Canonbalt; and Brian Fargo, founder of Interplay Entertainment and InXile Entertainment.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

Is the world ready for an Android based gaming console?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom