• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I had that same idea. >_>

Well, the controller would be the system and there would be a wireless HDMI dongle.

Toki767

I don't know if it'll take off, but it's an interesting concept. That said, it doesn't seem like it'll be $99 for everyone. Just those who back the kickstarter. Which means it might not take off with the casual crowd.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The Motorola Atrix HD is officially priced at $99 and coming out July 15. This might be my next phone.

Woah. That's cheap. Call me crazy but other than hoping you get the jb update faster cause the phone is the same across all carriers I struggle to see why you'd buy the GS3 on Att. The Atrix like the One X are similar hardware for basically half the on contract cost.

ep85

Woah. That's cheap. Call me crazy but other than hoping you get the jb update faster cause the phone is the same across all carriers I struggle to see why you'd buy the GS3 on Att. The Atrix like the One X are similar hardware for basically half the on contract cost.

Well to be fair The One X is the same price as the GS3 through AT&T. Give it a month or two and the GS3 will be priced at around the One X price. Hopefully the dual core in the Atrix is a S4 and not a TI OMAP.

Hieberrr

It seems like a nice concept, but the success of this product is heavily dependent on the developers of games. As of right now, the android market is severely lacking quality and console-quality games.

I'm a little skeptical, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Zeppu

It seems like a nice concept, but the success of this product is heavily dependent on the developers of games. As of right now, the android market is severely lacking quality and console-quality games.

I'm a little skeptical, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Buying cheap, bite-sized games appeals to me somehow. It'll suck if this does really well and they start demoing $0.99 games at E3 a couple of years before release.

had the same idea which is basically any Tegra 3 tablet, sans the screen and a bluetooth connected control and paired with an HDMI output. Maybe that will help drive more games to the Android platform.... or what I really meant to say is I want DariusBurst on Android, Damnit! Better than playing mame on my tablet as it'd be a dedicated machine, inexpensive to boot.

The only real downfall I see is when new CPU/GPU chipsets are introduced and then older versions are no longer supported by the software. Also concerned if it's going to be locked down to a point, but damn the possiblities are endless. A $99 android video streaming device comes to mind. It's an interesting approach and hope it kicks off.

shut-up-and-take-my-money1.jpg

Hieberrr

Buying cheap, bite-sized games appeals to me somehow. It'll suck if this does really well and they start demoing $0.99 games at E3 a couple of years before release.

Yeah that would really suck, LMFAO. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to play Pocket Planes (when it comes out), emulators, and whatnot. But, I don't think I can justify paying $99+ for something that has very little quality games and is filled with "short mobile" games.

On the other hand, if it does take off, SIGN ME UP!

Given that this is sort of a console, I believe touch screen games are out of the question. So current games have to incorporate the controller input and whatnot.

Some good news for those of you patiently waiting for Ice Cream Sandwich on the Sprint Galaxy S III Epic 4G Touch. We just got slipped this screen shot that points to it being released this week, starting Thursday and lasting through July 20.
10% and rising!

AndyD

aka andydumi
If I were to sync my work's Exchange contacts, would they get mixed in with my personal contacts?

Depends on what you choose to show. In contacts, you can select which sources to show from, such as google/phone/sim/facebook/twitter/skype...

thespot84

New Toy!

Torque for android is an app that communicates with bluetooth and wifi OBDII adapters. OBDII is the standard communications port for your car.

So I had an engine fault after hitting a bump a little to fast:

ioY596rTqd5dT.jpg

So I bought this ODB II Bluetooth adapter off of Amazon for $17.99 with free 2-day shipping (because who doesn't have prime by now??)

i5pBsk76ULl4e.JPG
igxdPyn0oYiYa.JPG

Every car has this port, it's usually by the drivers feet. Mine goes right in the middle! But actually didn't get in the way:

ibsXMxbT60kdVD.JPG

Once I got it paired with my phone (took 2 sec) I started up the app and let it monitor my car:

(Sorry for the crap gif. You can see as I accelerated the gauge on the phone matched my odometer)
torque-for-android.gif

I then used the app to check my engine fault:

ibfONs8nKBEMCP.png
i3UsTcut2R5TE.png
ifpY6UlApFUlT.png

And then I was able to look up the code online to see what I needed to do!

ibw2029ezYfi1r.png

That's all of done in about 10 min. The app is here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsIm9yZy5wcm93bC50b3JxdWUiXQ..

It also does things like gas mileage and efficiency tracking, Dyno's/quarter mile speeds etc, and much more I haven't played with. If you're anything of a gearhead this is tons of fun.

Ephemeris

Finally tracked down a SIII at Walmart* and now own the new Best Galaxy.

I give it a week before I start being envious towards the Gnex guys :p

* Geez, why dish out $130 more just to deal with a $50 rebate through tmobile ? No wonder it was so hard to find.

thespot84

But how do you fix the car? Those trouble codes still look like moon language to me.

well basically the questions was "do I have to take it to a mechanic RIGHT NOW or can i drive on it a day or two and then take it in?" After some googling i found that the specific fault wouldn't affect drivability, so I had a day or two to take it in. If I were something of a mechanic it would point me towards what to fix (ODBII is what mechanics use, actually) but in this case it's just helpful information.

Damn at OUYA, was on their page a few hours back and it was only ~ $500k now it closing in on $1.4M.

^ Don't think El Goog wants to be in that market just yet. Hell they could have done that instead of the $300 Nexus Q.

Hell they could have waited till year end and been rocking Cortex A15 and ARM sourced GPUs

this is not an Onion news piece.

Samsung is pleased to announce the Galaxy S III Developer Edition for Verizon Wireless. The Developer Edition will be sold only through Samsung.com. This special edition device features a user-unlockable bootloader.

Who is this for?

Samsung and Verizon Wireless recognize that there are many enthusiasts and professional developers that are interested in customizing their device with third-party ROM software. Unlocking the bootloader can put the stability of the phone in jeopardy; therefore, only experienced developers should attempt to unlock the bootloader.

What about the other carriers?

Other versions of the Galaxy S III are sold with a user-unlockable bootloader as a standard feature. Those models are available directly from the respective carriers.

Where can I buy the Galaxy S III Developer Edition?

The Developer Edition will be sold online directly from Samsung. When the device is available for purchase, it will be sold through the Samsung developer portal at developer.samsung.com for $599.

Why is Verizon Wireless’ version locked?

Depending on the device, an open bootloader could prevent Verizon Wireless from providing the same level of customer experience and support because it would allow users to change the phone or otherwise modify the software and, potentially, negatively impact how the phone connects with the network. The addition of unapproved software could also negatively impact the wireless experience for other customers. Unlocking the device also voids the warranty.

Has Samsung always unlocked the bootloader on its phones?

While not all previous Samsung Android devices have had an easily unlockable bootloader, all of our other current Galaxy S III flagship lineup, and all Nexus-branded devices, support the standard bootloader unlocking procedure.

What happens if I load custom software and damage (“brick”) my phone?

Problems caused by unlocking the bootloader and installing custom software will not be covered by the warranty.

Problems with third-party and customized bootloader software can cause irreparable harm to the Galaxy S III. Users interested in performing these actions should proceed with caution and at their own risk. Out of warranty Galaxy S III Developer Edition devices will be serviced directly through Samsung, and service charges will apply.

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-offer-hacker-friendly-developer-edition-galaxy-s-iii

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
For those with JB, is it true that Google is trying to get rid of the Black and blue theme that is Honeycomb/ICS? I believe I read it on The Verge, which is saddening since I actually liked the Tron theme.
No, it's pretty much the same as ICS. There are a few less blue highlights, though (mostly the notification slider) which I think is a good move all around.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
This is cool. HTC should put money where their mouth is and sell a bootloader unlockable ATT version on their website.

Eh seems as if the mod community has gotten around most of the HTC problems already anwyays so it's not as big of a deal now.

r1chard

The Ouya looks to be quickly on its way to $2mil. I'm not convinced that it's a viable project for a couple of reasons: first that it will need devs to jump on the bandwagon and Android tablets are still only just getting up to speed in that respect, and secondly that the $99 price seems too cheap for what they intend to sell. Maybe I'm just too damned cynical.

Seriously, "all games free to play" is a very, very strange position to take. Why free? Edit: oh, "free to play" as in F2P as in not necessarily free to play. Ho hum.

Or maybe it's the lack of an OTA for jelly beaning my gnex that's got me on edge...

jokkir

Is there an app that can call someone at a certain time? I'm trying to wake up my friend at 6:15 tomorrow but I'm not sure if I can wake up by then >__>

ty_hot

I am moving o Portugal soon, just wondering if the Galaxy Nexus they have there will get/already got all the updates the other ones are having, oor if I will at least be able to put whatever ROM I'm intersted. Because here in Brazil we always depend on the carrier =/ And is Europe getting the Nexus 7?

Also, what is a great site to look for prices (phones, tablets, earphones, ultraboks)? I want to know how much i am supposed to save.

And a general question about the Euro zone, once I am in Portugal, can I buy stuff from other countries (websites) without major problems or do I have to pay (a lot of) extra taxes?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
One thing that's bugging me about Jelly Bean... The 2 finger swipe down on notifications to extend them. Why can't it be 1? Would be more intuitive and offer superior one-hand use.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Hmm, ya. Although my notifications rarely pile up like that unless I'm re-downloading apps or updating a lot of them (in which case they should just group up to be honest).

I really like the extendable notifications, but the two finger thing really kills it.

Zeppu

One thing that's bugging me about Jelly Bean... The 2 finger swipe down on notifications to extend them. Why can't it be 1? Would be more intuitive and offer superior one-hand use.

I agree with you but nothing can be done, as already pointed out.

You know how it would be awesome. If they could detect when you put the tip of your thumb down on the screen then roll/lever it down until it's flat. It's a fairly unique gesture and it could be fairly easily detected since you get simultaneous downward movement and enlargement of the area touching the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom