• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I think the most amazing thing about the Nexus S isn't the fact that it's gone all the way from Gingerbread to Jelly Bean... but that's it still preforms so well with a single core hummingbird processor. Yet again, Samsung showing that they can really make an amazing phone processor. Makes me wish my Galaxy Nexus had an Exynos rather than the OMAP that it has!

I wish my Nexus had the S4 w/ LTE :(

TheTowel

I'm having trouble finding a place that can replace the screen on my phone. It's the Evo 4g LTE and while I can find plenty of sites that offer replacement screens for the One X, I haven't found any for my phone. It is relatively new so I'm hoping that's the issue. Few places have it on back order but it seems like they just have that there to show a large selection. I don't want to use insurance as I'd be dropped after this replacement. Any help?

I've read that since the LCD is laminated to the glass, I'd need to replace the entire screen.

tino

Banned
I'm having trouble finding a place that can replace the screen on my phone. It's the Evo 4g LTE and while I can find plenty of sites that offer replacement screens for the One X, I haven't found any for my phone. It is relatively new so I'm hoping that's the issue. Few places have it on back order but it seems like they just have that there to show a large selection. I don't want to use insurance as I'd be dropped after this replacement. Any help?

I've read that since the LCD is laminated to the glass, I'd need to replace the entire screen.

You mean like this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HTC-EVO-LTE...ltDomain_0&hash=item41687ba7c5#ht_3860wt_1259

kehs

Banned
Toolkit from reset my phone from img. =/

Back to fastboot. meh

Does anyone know if locking the bootloader removes root?

Just bought as Nexus S 4G to have as a replacement phone for my Epic Touch 4G in case it ever breaks and I need to replace it. Can't wait to see how JB functions.

looks like Telus beat them charges like Rocky

“After extensive testing, HTC has determined that the current version of HTC Sense with Android provides customers with the best experience on the HTC Desire HD. When we consider new versions of software, we weigh a number of factors, but ultimately the customer experience on the product is the deciding factor. We apologize for any confusion this change may have caused our customers.”
IT WAS HTC ALL ALONG, MUAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHA!!!

http://phandroid.com/2012/07/21/tel...tc-canceled-the-desire-hd-android-4-0-update/

kehs

Banned
Some "impressions" from someone going to a Nexus S from Galaxy Nexus.

-dat low resolution pentile
-dat tiny keyboard
-dat shitty auto brightness
+dat lovely lovely lovely hump and round shape
-dat capacitive menu button

Well see how long I can manage, but Jelly Bean is pretty good on here. The hardware is obviously at its limit though. Since I don't game on it, its fine by me.

Did I mention dat tiny keyboard? This post took way too long.

Oh yea, you can finally erase then primary account without wrecking havoc on the phone! I hope this means multi user accounts are on the way.

e: Play Store will try to log in to the next account on the accounts list after removing the main one.

Anyone with a NS and JB should change the animation scales to .5 inside of developer options, makes it seem much faster.

kinggroin

Banned

-dat tiny keyboard

Well see how long I can manage, but Jelly Bean is pretty good on here. The hardware is obviously at its limit though. Since I don't game on it, its fine by me.

Oh yea, you can finally erase then primary account without wrecking havoc on the phone! I hope this means multi user accounts are on the way.

what kind of drop in performance did you see in the ui if any at all?

kehs

Banned
what kind of drop in performance did you see in the ui if any at all?

Its obviously hanging on for dear life. Recent apps still has that second lag when coming up. After speeding up the transitions its better though. Installing an app in the background still brings the phone to a halt. Single core + Android shows its face. Google + runs surprisingly well on it, I was expecting it to choke.

I can live with it mainly because its not going to be used as much anymore, plus I have low standards for ui stuff. I'm probably moving into CM 10 street in ROM city so that should makes things much better.

Also the screen isn't that bad, I just realized this this had a screen protector on it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

-dat tiny keyboard

e: Play Store will try to log in to the next account on the accounts list after removing the main one.

Anyone with a NS and JB should change the animation scales to .5 inside of developer options, makes it seem much faster.

I tried to tell you, but would you listen???? He'll no!

0c7.jpg

-dat tiny keyboard

Why'd you go back to a NS?

kehs

Banned
Goddamn I have terrible battery life with Jellybean on my Nexus S. Only 2h 15m screen on time :\

Really? I managed about 3 hours today while I was transferring over apps/data.

Why'd you go back to a NS?

My reasons range from altruism, to curiosity and cultumating at gathering research for future Microsoft related trolling.

I'm getting an N7 this week so, I probably won't been my GN at home anymore(where I tend to take advantage of it the most), combined with the fact that my dad could use a larger screen I wouldn't feel right sitting around with an overpowered phones at my house fetching text messages. He could really use the larger text/bigger screen while still being a tech dude and reveling in having a supercomputer in his pocket. I also want to see how well Android does on older tech, I'm even considering going back to an N1 with JB hack that I handed off to some one else (I'd trade the NS for the N1).

Timing is pretty great for all the tech shit happening at the end of this year. Even though I'm just an M$ hating android fanboy, I'm secretly hoping the padfone 2 is Windows 8/Windows 8 Phone Edition combo. I'd be like a pig in shit if that came true. So by having an old phone now I can justify spending more money later on. This way I can enjoy tech, piss of van by posting in a windows 8 phone thread, and jump off the burning ship which is breaking off into more and more pieces by the day that people lovingly love to call Android.

You know, all the things any true android soldier would troll for.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Does Android GAF use Twitter? Actually, I know you sobs do after the Android Apps thread. Where's a list of your user names?

Blackhead

Redarse
AWAKENINGS: AN ANDROID DESIGN PROCESS

SEBASTIAAN DE WITH said:
doubleTwist Alarm has been an overwhelmingly successful project. It has received universal acclaim, from Google executives to design publications and many Android and gadget websites. Yet, the first question on anyone’s lips was always the same: “Why an alarm clock? Why would you take a swing at something so trivial and small, something so elementary to any cellphone made since the 1980s?”

fmVcm.jpg

The answer is simple: because this is extremely essential tool we use every day. We wake up with it every morning — and it simply hasn’t been done right. It’s kind of terrible: you can compare it to waking up every morning to find you’ve been sleeping on a small pebble. To start your day off frustrated and displeased doesn’t just throw your mood into a funk, it can actually be quite unhealthy. Now there’s a problem that’s simply begging for a solution.

Daniel Kast said:
I know i´m not the first person to ask this, but do you ever considered to bring this app to iOS? it looks gorgeous
Floris said:
Make this iPad and you get my $10.

Blackhead

Redarse
I might have to buy that alarm app after that article, and lol at then comments.

I bought the app, and it is indeed beautiful, despite it not being the style I'm attracted to (although I realize I'm in the minority here). The sleep cycle is really cool though and such UI features makes up for any design misgivings I might have . As regards to the comments, de With had already spoken on the possibility of an iOS version:

Design.org said:
Will you design a iPhone version of the app?

I'm not interested in designing an iPhone version. While doubleTwist gets a lot of requests for an iOS version, it's not the platform that truly needs a 'design investment' like this right now. Also, fascinatingly, Android users are much more willing to seek out 'better' versions of apps already on their phones.

It also has to be said that there's simply not enough 'freedom' for the development for a truly excellent alarm clock on iPhones and iPads: engineering-wise, it'd be impossible to hook into the system so deeply that one can assure the alarm will always go off, like the standard Apple-supplied Alarm app.

You used to work at Apple, what was that like? What did you learn there that you have taken and applied now with DoubleTwist?

tino

Banned
I bought the app, and it is indeed beautiful, despite it not being the style I'm attracted to (although I realize I'm in the minority here). The sleep cycle is really cool though and such UI features makes up for any design misgivings I might have . As regards to the comments, de With had already spoken on the possibility of an iOS version:

Heh this guy is the bizarro version of that instapaper guy.

Does the alarm has the function that slowly raise the alarm valume like Gentle Alarm and does it let you set custom mp3 ringtone?

ScOULaris

Does the alarm has the function that slowly raise the alarm valume like Gentle Alarm and does it let you set custom mp3 ringtone?

Yes and yes.

Although in order to use a song as your alarm tone, it requires you to also download their music player. Just noticed that, which is a letdown. Maybe they'll add the ability to just pick any MP3 from your sdcard directory in a future release.

Blackhead

Redarse
Heh this guy is the bizarro normal version of that instapaper guy.

yes and yes
edit: beat by a junior :|
That alarm looks badass. Does it use true blacks? I can imagine using that on my GNex with that AMOLED screen.

The linked blog post talks about some of the issues he had to deal with regarding color representation on different devices. It's telling though that they chose the HTC One X for all the pr pics...

Where are you seeing the One X? Looks like a white Galaxy Nexus to me.

The difference between these dudes and the third party Instapaper client dude, is that a third party Instapaper client for Android was always going to be a niche market, while something like an alarm clock is far more mainstream.

Cipherr

For people with this app and the galaxy nexus... Are the alarms louder than the weak ones stock has?

I havent ever had any issues with the sound strength of the alarms on the GNex. In the dead silence of night even the moderate speakers of the Gnex blaring an alarm is plenty enough.

tino

Banned
Only when the ad shows they are in their backyard do I realise "wait, how the fuck do they have data!" :(

Yes, I realise you could do the whole Android superior Tether/WiFi Hotspot

IME most of the campsites still have Verizon signal, you don't get TMobile thats for sure.

jokkir

'Dead Trigger' now free on Android due to 'unbelievably high' piracy rate

Dead Trigger, a zombie FPS for smartphones from the makers of Shadowgun, is now free to download on Android thanks to rampant piracy on the platform. In a statement on Facebook, developer Madfinger Games says that even at $0.99, the piracy rate on Android devices was "unbelievably high."

Madfinger is careful to point out that Dead Trigger will not be a freemium app, and "all players are able to play without in-app purchases." Dead Trigger is available now from the Google Play store for free, or on iOS for $0.99. $0.99.

I want to see hard data on this. It couldn't have been THAT bad. Although I didn't purchase it (I didn't pirate it) because I didn't know if my Nexus S could run it and learning about the in app purchases after you paid for the game

gcubed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom