• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
BGR said narrower and taller screen? I think most Note 1 owner will be happy with the "OG Note".

On the other hand, HOW MUCH OF A JOKE IS TMOBILE USA?! Jesus Christ.

I told people the rumor out there is a 16 x 9 like form factor with a move to a 720p screen.

"The playground is open."

That's the declaration attached to every piece of Nexus 7 advertising on the internet. The point Google's trying to get across is that the Nexus 7 is, first and foremost, a media device. Reading, watching, listening, and gaming - those are the use cases Google had in mind when they designed the N7.

The result is that the Nexus 7 is not just a new device, it's a new type of device, at least as far as the Android UI is concerned. When Google set out to design a 7 inch tablet from the ground up, they completely blew up the standard Android tablet conventions. The N7 UI is not quite phone, not quite tablet - it's a crazy mix of both.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/07/23/the-nexus-7s-software-buttons-designed-for-gaming/

Gattsu25

Banned
Originally posted in the Kindle Fire thread:
I have Windows 7 64-Bit and it looks like the ADK has a longstanding issue with this platform.

Here is the version of Java that I have installed:
Code:
C:\>java -version
java version "1.7.0_05"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_05-b06)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.1-b03, mixed mode)
I have downloaded both the .ZIP and .EXE ADK installs and have tried both without any success. The installer gives me this piece of shit message:
6M7rL.png

*raises middle finger at screen*

I've tried a couple of recommended solutions including adding the JAVA_HOME variable, hitting the back button and then the next button (this works for some people), adding the JDK to PATH, installing the 32-bit version of the SDK, and then I gave up on the installer.

After undoing all of the damage that I did above I then moved on to the .ZIP install, extracted it to my root directory. According to the internauts this method works all the time. I try to run the AVD or SDK Manager programs and get a quick DOS window pop up that disappears after around 10 milliseconds. I try running android.bat from the tools directory and get another shit eating message stating that I need to have the JDK installed:
Code:
C:\android-sdk-windows>tools\android.bat update sdk --no-ui
Failed to convert path to a short DOS path: C:\Windows\system32\java.exe

ERROR: No suitable Java found. In order to properly use the Android Developer
Tools, you need a suitable version of Java JDK installed on your system.
We recommend that you install the JDK version of JavaSE, available here:
  http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads

You can find the complete Android SDK requirements here:
  http://developer.android.com/sdk/requirements.html

C:\android-sdk-windows>java -version
java version "1.7.0_05"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_05-b06)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.1-b03, mixed mode)
Fucking hell. I'm about to give up.

I need help on this one. I -- I just can't

Gattsu25

Banned
java version "1.7.0_05" - Is that JDK 7? I think only 6 is supported.
Trying this now..
Code:
C:\android-sdk-windows>tools\android.bat update sdk --no-ui
Failed to convert path to a short DOS path: C:\Windows\system32\java.exe

ERROR: No suitable Java found. In order to properly use the Android Developer
Tools, you need a suitable version of Java JDK installed on your system.
We recommend that you install the JDK version of JavaSE, available here:
  http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads

You can find the complete Android SDK requirements here:
  http://developer.android.com/sdk/requirements.html

C:\android-sdk-windows>java -version
java version "1.6.0_33"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_33-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.8-b03, mixed mode)
No luck with that

The UI installer also gives the same error

catmincer

Hey question.

I am looking at getting an HTC one X. I've had horrible experiences previously with Android phones and buggy software so I am curious. With the One X am I likely to experience lag/random app crashes on a regular basis?

That was the issue I had with my old LG Optimus 2x. (useless piece of crap)

Get a Galaxy Nexus and you'll never have to worry about manufacturer skinning.

Touchwiz > Sense these days, especially on the One X and the hilarious oversight where they put in physical buttons but forgot a button so the UI overlays a single button at the bottom of the screen.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Originally posted in the Kindle Fire thread:

I need help on this one. I -- I just can't

Just solved this myself. Add the variable but point it to your JRE sub folder of Java not the JDK subfolder. It makes no damn sense, but it works.

Code:
c:\program files\java\jre7

Danj

Is there an Android app that lets you scan multiple barcodes and put them all in a document or spreadsheet? We have a whole bunch of PCs arriving this week at my workplace, it would be useful if I can just scan all the barcodes on them (serial number and MAC address for each one) and get them automatically into a spreadsheet using the Android tablet we have.

Is there an Android app that lets you scan multiple barcodes and put them all in a document or spreadsheet? We have a whole bunch of PCs arriving this week at my workplace, it would be useful if I can just scan all the barcodes on them (serial number and MAC address for each one) and get them automatically into a spreadsheet using the Android tablet we have.

looks like there are quite a few of them

Inventory Tracker

Scan to Spreadsheet

Barcode & Inventory Pro

XSCANPET barcode scanner&Excel

to name a few

Hey question.

I am looking at getting an HTC one X. I've had horrible experiences previously with Android phones and buggy software so I am curious. With the One X am I likely to experience lag/random app crashes on a regular basis?

That was the issue I had with my old LG Optimus 2x. (useless piece of crap)

I have the one x as a daily driver
Playing with the gs3
Had a galaxy nexus, 4s and gs2

Can't go wrong with the gs3 or the one x...2 of the best android phone right now.

There's plenty of customs ROMs available right now for both, that makes them even more top tier.

catmincer

I have the one x as a daily driver
Playing with the gs3
Had a galaxy nexus, 4s and gs2

Can't go wrong with the gs3 or the one x...2 of the best android phone right now.

There's plenty of customs ROMs available right now for both, that makes them even more top tier.

Thanks for answering. The other one I was looking at is the Xperia S. It's a good 20% cheaper than the One X so I am considering it as well. How is it performance wise?

tino

Banned
Forgot, it needs to be free. I tried the free version of SCANPET but when I scan a barcode the tablet starts beeping and won't stop until I turn it off. So I need something better than that.

Maybe you should ask work pay the 2 bux for you.

Danj

Maybe you should ask work pay the 2 bux for you.

Well let me put it another way, there needs to be a free version available so I can check the paid version is not gonna go into this beeping-all-the-time mode. So far both apps I have tried have done that so clearly work is not gonna spend money on something defective.

zbeeb

Well let me put it another way, there needs to be a free version available so I can check the paid version is not gonna go into this beeping-all-the-time mode. So far both apps I have tried have done that so clearly work is not gonna spend money on something defective.

Apps have a 15 minute window to refund them if they don't work as expected.

tino

Banned
Hahahahaha no. Our Finance department would never let us do anything like that. I need to know it is going to work before it is paid for unfortunately.

You can try it on your own account. You can refund within 15 mins. You can even refund after 15 min, you just need to do it on the market.android.com website.

kinggroin

Banned
Hahahahaha no. Our Finance department would never let us do anything like that. I need to know it is going to work before it is paid for unfortunately.

You're not actually charged until the 15 minute mark AFAIK.

The "refund" is just an order cancel.

Thanks for answering. The other one I was looking at is the Xperia S. It's a good 20% cheaper than the One X so I am considering it as well. How is it performance wise?

Performance wise I'm using a custom from that is base 4.0.4 ics which is make the multitasking much much better and overall performance is on par with the s3, but the s3 seems to have a slight edge though.

Both one x and s3 are as stable as the gnex. But with all the hardware benefits like screen, camera, battery life, lte and mic/sound.

No expirience with the experia so I don't want to comment.

Ashhong

You can try it on your own account. You can refund within 15 mins. You can even refund after 15 min, you just need to do it on the market.android.com website.

You can do it after 15 minutes? What is the time limit if you do it on the site?

OK here's some apps I've been using on my Nexus 7. Not all are optimised (yet) but some will be soon (I'll note if that's the case). In almost every case these apps follow the new Android design guidelines. Some are tablet optimised or have versions on the way soon. I've only tried to include apps where the performance (smoothness, responsiveness) matches up to my expectations of a modern Android app. If you like it, let me know and I can maybe add in more. I haven't really included games either!

Safe In Cloud

Awesome Password manager/backup service which uses the cloud sync between your Android Devices. Desktop version coming September 2012. I use it all the time.

Pattrn

Lovely app, great if you like patterned wallpapers.

Timer

Really simple, but beautiful Timer.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.laurencedawson.reddit_sync.pro

The best Reddit client on the play store. Dev is super responsive (on Reddit). Currently on version 6, Tablet UI coming in version 8.

Clipper

Great way to manage the Android clipboard. Really useful if you need to copy and paste multiple but separate items.

Reader HD

Great RSS reader. tablet optimised. Has a magazine layout too.

Boid

This isn't yet available to download for the Nexus 7, but the next release will be (in the next few days). Great Twitter client. Still in Beta but unbelievably smooth. Version coming in the next few days will include auto complete of user names, push notifications and lots of other stuff. Tweet caching and a tablet UI should hit within weeks. Makes the official Twitter app look like the pile of crap it is.

Evernote

Evernote. Tablet optimised. Syncs notes in the cloud. Awesome.

Google Translate

Really useful for translating Tweets and the like. You can also use this for web pages in Chrome. Chrome > Share page > choose translate > Bingo. Only seems to work with desktop sites.

Soccer Livescores

Love football? Best football scores app hands down. Notifications for goals scored, can set favourite teams and loads more.

Tasks

Awesome task manager which syncs in the cloud using Google tasks. Great widget , tablet optimised in landscape.

Battery Widget Reborn

Battery Widget(s), super stylish. tablet optimised.

Dropbox

It's dropbox. Totally awesome.

Evernote Food

Like Evernote, but for food. For those of you who eat out a lot, or fancy yourselves as chefs/

Guardian Crosswords

It's a Crossword app. But ICS style.

Google Drive

Drive. Alternative to DropBox but with 5GB free storage and syncs with google docs. As my work literally lives in Google Docs it's invaluable.

MD.emu

Megadrive emulator. Grab a USB OTG cable for your PS3 controller and you've got the worlds best Megadrive/Genesis emulation device at your fingertips.

Snes9x

See MD.Emu but for Snes. Not available on the play store, but you can download it for free at the Devs website.

IMDB

IMDB. Tablet optimised.

Lobowiki

ICS style Wikipedia browser. Still very early Beta.

DealPad

UK only. Hot UK Deals for your tablet. Looks great.

Notes With task Sync

If you need to take Notes, but want something lighter than Evernote, use this. Syncs in cloud with Google Tasks.

Spotify

The new Spotify Android app is a thing of beauty. Not tablet optimised but works great on the Nexus 7.

Imgur

Post on any kind of forum? You need this app. Notifications are JellyBean optimised!

Folder Sync

Foldersync. Allows you to sync any folder on your phone/tablet with your choice of cloud provider. Works great.

Flipboard

It's flipboard. Not tablet optimised.

InstaWifi

InstaWifi allows you to share Wi-Fi passwords by NFC or QR code. Makes sharing Wi-Fi passwords a doddle.

Solid Explorer

One of Androids best, if not the best file explorer.

TED Talks

TED talks. Tablet optimised.

Tune In Radio Pro

Colors

Simple wallpaper app allowing you to set a plain color as your wallpaper.

Foursquare

Foursquare. Not tablet optimised but looks great anyway.

Markers

Tablet optimised sketching app. Simple but elegant.

Movies

Movies. It's not properly optimised for &" yet as the text is wonky in portrait, but it's fine in landscape. Great for checking movie times/theatres etc etc

Trivialist

Awesome trivia app which allows you to challenge your friends. Dev is currently working on optimising for tablet.

Beyondpod

Not totally sold on the UI yet, but probably the best Podcast app on the play store.

Aircalc

Aircalc. One of these floating apps that are better suited to tablets than phones. Try it.

Stick It

Same as aircalc but for videos. Similar to the feature Samsung tout on the S3 which allows you to watch videos whilst web browsing etc

Tablet talk

Hooks up to your android phone so you can send texts from your tablet and receive them instead. Useful when your phone is on charge and you'd rather use your tablet.

Jotterpad HD pro

Another note taking app, with a nice UI

OK that's it for now. There are many, many more that I've missed. If people think it's worthwhile I'll go back and add some more in.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Figures this would come up when search is down.

I'm on Sprint and have had an EVO 4G that I've been happy with for a few years now. Unfortunately, I'm starting to have some issues with it (primarily battery charging and connectivity issues) and am thinking about getting a new phone.

From some basic Google searching it seems like the consensus best Sprint Android phone is the Galaxy SII (EVO 3D coming in second) but I see that the SIII came out recently and thus isn't included in most comparison threads/sites yet. Is it worth picking up the SIII over the SII right now or should I just go for the older model? Any other phones sneak in as good choices?

Probably going to try to visit a Sprint store today or tomorrow to check out some phones in person.

Flash

I got an OTA update for jelly bean on my Nexus S, downloaded and started installing it but then I keep getting stuck on a screen with a yellow caution triangle and a little green android. I have to remove my battery use my phone again.

Any help?

I got an OTA update for jelly bean on my Nexus S, downloaded and started installing it but then I keep getting stuck on a screen with a yellow caution triangle and a little green android. I have to remove my battery use my phone again.

Any help?

Is your bootloader unlocked? Using a custom recovery? Running a custom rom?

th3dude

On the topic of apps, what apps do you all feel are still missing? Especially in regards to 4.0+ support and especially tablet support.

I'm itching to write something, but not sure what.

Flash

Is your bootloader unlocked? Using a custom recovery? Running a custom rom?

hm... I think I'm using stock ICS but I got the phone from a friend and now that you mentioned it, whenever I go into recovery it says "clock work mod". Sorry, total noob at this.

how do i go back to stock bootloader?

rozay

Banned
Figures this would come up when search is down.

I'm on Sprint and have had an EVO 4G that I've been happy with for a few years now. Unfortunately, I'm starting to have some issues with it (primarily battery charging and connectivity issues) and am thinking about getting a new phone.

From some basic Google searching it seems like the consensus best Sprint Android phone is the Galaxy SII (EVO 3D coming in second) but I see that the SIII came out recently and thus isn't included in most comparison threads/sites yet. Is it worth picking up the SIII over the SII right now or should I just go for the older model? Any other phones sneak in as good choices?

Probably going to try to visit a Sprint store today or tomorrow to check out some phones in person.
The two best phones to upgrade to on sprint are the EVO 4G or Galaxy S3. They both run on the same processor so the performance, interface aside, will be very similar, though the GS3 has an extra gig of RAM.

They have a galaxy nexus as well but I would kind of shy away from recommending it on sprint, mainly because the battery life and radio are better on the EVO and GS3. Both phones will have a large enough development community that you can install a ROM with stock android if you like.

tino

Banned
OK here's some apps I've been using on my Nexus 7. ....
Pattrn

Lovely app, great if you like patterned wallpapers.

Cool app. For wallpaper I use Multipicture live wallpaper for local photos and FlickrLive!Pro for online photos.
Solid Explorer

One of Androids best, if not the best file explorer.

This has to be one of the most polished looking app. Too bad it doesn't support SMB. I am going back to ES Explorer. edit: wait it has SMB, I am testing it a few more days.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the help. That extra gig of RAM in the Galaxy SIII sounds great but just judging by pictures online I'm not a fan of the physical style. Guess I'll decide after seeing them in person.

rozay

Banned
Cool app. For wallpaper I use Multipicture live wallpaper for local photos and FlickrLive!Pro for online photos.

This has to be one of the most polished looking app. Too bad it doesn't support SMB. I am going back to ES Explorer. edit: wait it has SMB, I am testing it a few more days.
I don't really like how it looks, but then again I'm using Total Commander for a file manager :p at least it uses the action bar on 3.0 and 4.0!

hm... I think I'm using stock ICS but I got the phone from a friend and now that you mentioned it, whenever I go into recovery it says "clock work mod". Sorry, total noob at this.

how do i go back to stock bootloader?

Galaxy Nexus or Nexus S? There are instructions on XDA if you poke around, but you may want to get a friend to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom