• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Figures this would come up when search is down.

I'm on Sprint and have had an EVO 4G that I've been happy with for a few years now. Unfortunately, I'm starting to have some issues with it (primarily battery charging and connectivity issues) and am thinking about getting a new phone.

From some basic Google searching it seems like the consensus best Sprint Android phone is the Galaxy SII (EVO 3D coming in second) but I see that the SIII came out recently and thus isn't included in most comparison threads/sites yet. Is it worth picking up the SIII over the SII right now or should I just go for the older model? Any other phones sneak in as good choices?

Probably going to try to visit a Sprint store today or tomorrow to check out some phones in person.

the consensus now is their successors, the Samsung Galaxy SIII and HTC EVO 4G LTE are the current best, with the Samsung device being #1 again.

Mrg8523-

I just got the Jelly Bean update on my T-Mobile Nexus S. My phone has been pretty slow these past few week so I'm surprised at how fast and smooth it is even on this older phone. The only bad thing, which really isn't bad, is that since this phone uses capacitive buttons the only way to access Google Now is from the lock screen.

I just got the Jelly Bean update on my T-Mobile Nexus S. My phone has been pretty slow these past few week so I'm surprised at how fast and smooth it is even on this older phone. The only bad thing, which really isn't bad, is that since this phone uses capacitive buttons the only way to access Google Now is from the lock screen.

You can't simply slide up from the bottom of the screen?

Mrg8523-

You can't simply slide up from the bottom of the screen?

Nope. Nexus S doesn't have three touch buttons at the bottom of the screen. The back/menu/search/home buttons are capacitive touch buttons under the screen.

Just imagine that it's running Jelly Bean instead of Ginger Bread like in the picture.

kehs

Banned

Search key brings up Google Now(which is really just Google Search), long press brings up voice search.

I've had my phone for a week today and have only used 3G twice. Today I had trouble connecting with the NPR app - when the phone locked it wouldn't play the next story and I had to unlock it and wait a few seconds before 3G seemed to connect again. I'm using Juice Defender and I know it turns off wifi when locked - does it turn off 3G as well. I'm using the default settings. I didn't have this trouble the first time I used 3G so I must've installed JD since.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
i dunno, Note 2 could sway me if big yellow gets it...

I'm not as anal as some about the screen size aspect ratio change.

I'm fucking over Samsung until they move beyond the current screens they are using in the Galaxy Nexus and GS3 though after having my One X. I just can't go back to something similar to my old Samsung AMOLED.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So, I am ready to flash my Galaxy S2 Epic 4 Touch (SDH 710). After owning it for 9 months I think its time to spice up things. What should I know about rooting? Will I have to redownload all applications/lose pictures/contacts? Will I be voiding any sort of warranty? And finally... what's the consensus about the best ROM for my phone? I am happy with the current CPU speed, so probably stability and top notch battery life are the things I most need ATM.

Hell, if there's a way to just root the stock ROM I'd be happy. I just want more powwwaaah!

jokkir

So, I am ready to flash my Galaxy S2 Epic 4 Touch (SDH 710). After owning it for 9 months I think its time to spice up things. What should I know about rooting? Will I have to redownload all applications/lose pictures/contacts? Will I be voiding any sort of warranty? And finally... what's the consensus about the best ROM for my phone? I am happy with the current CPU speed, so probably stability and top notch battery life are the things I most need ATM.

Hell, if there's a way to just root the stock ROM I'd be happy. I just want more powwwaaah!

- You'll have to redownload all your apps
- You shouldn't lose anything that's stored in the SD card so if your pictures are there, it'll be there. You can backup before hand just to make sure.
- If you synced your contacts with Google, your contacts should be restored automatically when flashing a new ROM. You'll lose SMS/MMS messages so you might want to back that up if you care about them. I use SMS Backup+
- You'll void your warranty but you can easily unroot & reset the flash counter
- No idea about the best ROM :p

tino

Banned

You only lost your stuff if your flash a new rom. You should root the phone first, install Titanium Back and backup all your apps before you do install recovery/flash new rom.

However, some Samsung phones have no way to root without flashing a zip file to a new rom. In that case you will have to lose your app settings.

GatorBait

Yessss! Got my Galaxy Nexus last night and it immediately updated to Jelly Bean. Android OS has certainly come a long way. 4.1 is so smooth and clean. Last phone I was running on was a Droid Incredible with Froyo.

What is there out there in terms of custom launchers nowadays? I was running Launcher on my Incredible, but I imagine that is old news by now. I'm mainly looking for something lean that doesn't use a lot of system resources. I'm mainly interested in having custom icons (including in the dock) and adjusting the number of homescreen pages.

Recommendations?

tino

Banned
Yessss! Got my Galaxy Nexus last night and it immediately updated to Jelly Bean. Android OS has certainly come a long way. 4.1 is so smooth and clean. Last phone I was running on was a Droid Incredible with Froyo.

What is there out there in terms of custom launchers nowadays? I was running Launcher on my Incredible, but I imagine that is old news by now. I'm mainly looking for something lean that doesn't use a lot of system resources. I'm mainly interested in having custom icons (including in the dock) and adjusting the number of homescreen pages.

Recommendations?

Custom icons can be done through Go Launcher or Folder Organizers.

thespot84

Oh yeah, the Vizio Co Star Google Tv is up for pre order, delivery on mid august.

$99 with onlive buit in.

http://www.vizio.com/costar/overview

so this came up in conversation today. Does this, or google TV or anything OTHER than tivo and your cable provider's dvr work as a DVR? Someone posited that it was the evil cable providers/DRM preventing us from recording television with anything but they're own gear/tivo, while in europe you can just plug a hard drive into a newer tv and voila, dvr...

kehs

Banned
so this came up in conversation today. Does this, or google TV or anything OTHER than tivo and your cable provider's dvr work as a DVR? Someone posited that it was the evil cable providers/DRM preventing us from recording television with anything but they're own gear/tivo, while in europe you can just plug a hard drive into a newer tv and voila, dvr...

Depends on the provider.

Comcast doesn't allow remote access to their dvr, so the best you can do is have the Google TV display the native DVR menu and control it at that level, which is stupid because you can't search through it.

I believe Dish network is playing nice, and you can control the DVR as well as search through it's content.

But yes, it's stupid aging, dinosaur companies that refuse to give up control and screw over the users.

try using the official CM9 port with their kernel first, then you can worry about other roms/kernels later...

You only lost your stuff if your flash a new rom. You should root the phone first, install Titanium Back and backup all your apps before you do install recovery/flash new rom.

However, some Samsung phones have no way to root without flashing a zip file to a new rom. In that case you will have to lose your app settings.

what!?!? most Samsung phones let you root by just flashing a pre-rooted kernel or CWM and root zip from inside CWM.

tino

Banned
try using the official CM9 port with their kernel first, then you can worry about other roms/kernels later...

what!?!? most Samsung phones let you root by just flashing a pre-rooted kernel or CWM and root zip from inside CWM.

For newer Galaxy Note 2.3 roms, you can't root them. You have to flash a preroot new rom. This is the only exception. Every other Android gadget I had I could root it with an app or a windows script (super one click etc).

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
the Co-Star could be a great device if it can play video codecs. The Revue will lock up and reboot if you try to play a wmv file.

I might pick one up soon. :\

jobber

XBMC should be right up your alley.

shit. i forgot that was released. i'm going to try that out...like now.

GTV Box is pretty good if the revue doesn't take a crap. Plays native mkv files, in a folder structure, and it fakes being an apple tv so you can actually take a video you watch on your ipad and send it to the tv with a press of a button.

thespot84

I tentatively designed a cable box replacement for my parents, consisting of:

HDhomerun prime to pipe the cable signal into ->
a windows media center (or similar) running on a central server) which streams via plex to ->
roku 2 XD's using the plex app on each TV in the house.

The more tv's you have the more economical this becomes, since the only monthly charge you need is for your cable service and the cable cards (@ $2 +the HD fee with comcast i think). With a box + dvr service for each TV coming in at close to $20/mo that shit really adds up.

Vanillalite

So it's not android related specifically, BUT....

I won an official twitter contest...

‏@linuxfoundation
What session from the #linuxcon #cloudopen schedule is most interesting to you? Respond w/hashtags and win a free ticket

@Vanillalite
@linuxfoundation Love to hear Phil McKinney's talk about Innovation in a Collaborative Economy #linuxcon #cloudopen

@linuxfoundation
Congrats to @Vanillalite ! You're today's #linuxcon #cloudopen hashtag winner! Email us at pr@linuxfoundation.org for your ticket!

They have a couple of mobile talks that center around either Android or just mobile and embedded devices in general. This has potential to be hella legit for me! :D

kehs

Banned
Well so much for XBMC on the Revue. It FC when you start it.

Seems xbmc is all native code for arm. If the revue sees an update to ics/jb (lol) then it could probably take advantage of the heavy lifting intel is doing.

I couldn't figure out how to get XBMC to see the NAS here. =/ I hope it's just one of those early code things.

TheTowel

I'm on Sprint and have had an EVO 4G that I've been happy with for a few years now. Unfortunately, I'm starting to have some issues with it (primarily battery charging and connectivity issues) and am thinking about getting a new phone.

From some basic Google searching it seems like the consensus best Sprint Android phone is the Galaxy SII (EVO 3D coming in second) but I see that the SIII came out recently and thus isn't included in most comparison threads/sites yet. Is it worth picking up the SIII over the SII right now or should I just go for the older model? Any other phones sneak in as good choices?

Probably going to try to visit a Sprint store today or tomorrow to check out some phones in person.

Both are great. I like the amoled screen on the s3 but the EVO LCD screen is amazing. Hardware is similar. Love the EVO camera and software but the galaxy.is a bit smoother and has that extra gig of ram.

Comes down to preference. I have the new EVO and the build quality and dedicated camera button are great. The camera button is two stage and acts as dslr camera buttons do. Galaxy s3 is easy to hold and those colors pop.

Vanillalite

Get either phone on Amazon. They have both the Evo 4G and the GSIII as upgrades either solo or family plan for $150 with free shipping verses the $200 in store price.

Evo 4G

GS3

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™

So wait, I can root my phone without having to flash a whole new ROM? I am such a noob to this :p

jobber

So wait, I can root my phone without having to flash a whole new ROM? I am such a noob to this :p

Yes. Rooting doesn't involve wiping data. You only wipe data if you're going to a new rom because the rom might not have the same structure of the stock rom. Like if you're going from a TouchWiz based rom to a AOSP rom, you need to wipe data or everything will crash.

Rooting involves using an exploit to gain admin powers.

Check XDA to see it's an "easy" method of rooting. Most popular android phones have a 1 click rooting method.

I'd root as soon as you get your phone. I made a fatal mistake by not rooting one of my phones right away then the USB port got messed up and it can't be recognized by a computer :(

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Yes. Rooting doesn't involve wiping data. You only wipe data if you're going to a new rom because the rom might not have the same structure of the stock rom. Like if you're going from a TouchWiz based rom to a AOSP rom, you need to wipe data or everything will crash.

Rooting involves using an exploit to gain admin powers.

Check XDA to see it's an "easy" method of rooting. Most popular android phones have a 1 click rooting method.

I'd root as soon as you get your phone. I made a fatal mistake by not rooting one of my phones right away then the USB port got messed up and it can't be recognized by a computer :(

SuperOneClick I guess?

Ladies and Gentlemen, a taste of what you've all been waiting for

AnandTech presents: Qualcomm's Quad-Core Snapdragon S4 (APQ8064/Adreno 320) Performance Preview

Sunspider performance is excellent on the MDP/T, actually delivering a better score than the Medfield based Lava Xolo X900 (1279.4ms). It's unclear how much of this performance increase over the dual-core S4 is due to the added cores vs. software optimizations to the MDP/T's browser.

wIIfw.png

gotta lead off with the most misleading image, amirite?

Toki767

Shiggy

So I'll try it in this thread. Is there an easy way to move app data from the internal storage to the SD card? I've got the Galaxy S3 and it's only got 16GB.

tino

Banned
So I'll try it in this thread. Is there an easy way to move app data from the internal storage to the SD card? I've got the Galaxy S3 and it's only got 16GB.

Most apps use minimal space. Apps that use more space (RSS reader) let you change the folder location.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I kind of want a Google TV but I don't know why I'd use it. Is there a good write up somewhere?

gcubed

Ladies and Gentlemen, a taste of what you've all been waiting for

AnandTech presents: Qualcomm's Quad-Core Snapdragon S4 (APQ8064/Adreno 320) Performance Preview

[1IMG]http://i.imgur.com/wIIfw.png[/IMG]

gotta lead off with the most misleading image, amirite?

and remember that all those numbers are at least 10% too high due to it being a reference board from Qualcomm. They better get their design wins now because the A15 chips are going to eat it up

Angst

Any way to get this on a SII LTE?

Ehm... what's your model id? GT-I9210?

codeworkx said:
Daniel HillenbrandJul 23, 2012 - Public
CyanogenMod 10 (JellyBean) status for devices i'm working on:

#i9100 (exynos): no audio and buggy hwcomposer
#i9300 (exynos): half broken cam and buggy hwcomposer
#i9100G (omap4): done
#P3100 (omap4): done
#P3110 (omap4): done
#P3113 (omap4): done
#P5100 (omap4): done
#P5110 (omap4): done
#P5113 (omap4): done
doesn't look good... or perhaps someone else maintains the I9210 branch?

and remember that all those numbers are at least 10% too high due to it being a reference board from Qualcomm. They better get their design wins now because the A15 chips are going to eat it up

nah, unlike their previous designs, the dual core Krait was pretty close to the reference board. no reason to doubt those numbers yet...

malyce

The numbers are great though, the 320 is on par with the 543MP4. Hopefully this makes it into the next Nexus. The 5250/T-604 combo should/will destroy those numbers though, and may be ready around the Nexus launch but I know Google is going to gimp the fucking thing.

edit: nah, the 543MP4 is still a fucking beast.

Shiggy

Most apps use minimal space. Apps that use more space (RSS reader) let you change the folder location.

I'm actually thinking about the Spotify app and Gameloft games, which require additional downloads. I don't see how I can move data to the SD card.

Angst

I'm actually thinking about the Spotify app and Gameloft games, which require additional downloads. I don't see how I can move data to the SD card.

For Spotify: Sign out, press menu on the login screen and you can specify save location to the SD card. At least that worked on the non-ICS version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom