• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
l'll flog its virtues when I get a chance
Good, I want to hear about it. Looking forward to it.

Does it even make sense to get one, when you're in Germany? It's not like you'll have access to any services.

Really? I dunno. Am I fucked? I always have the option of a VPN but if I'm screwed out of most every service, I'll hold off. I'll need to read Copy's write up. Good point, though.

Good, I want to hear about it. Looking forward to it.

Really? I dunno. Am I fucked? I always have the option of a VPN but if I'm screwed out of most every service, I'll hold off. I'll need to read Copy's write up. Good point, though.
yeah, once you leave the USA, you're pretty screwed when it comes to a lot of those awesome media services.

Marco1

Can anyone recommend the sony xperia s?
I am coming from the iphone 4s as I have bought my contract off and wanting to try android.
Thanks.

Shiggy

For Spotify: Sign out, press menu on the login screen and you can specify save location to the SD card. At least that worked on the non-ICS version.

Thanks, perhaps it's related to ICS or the German version, but I cannot open any menu on the login screen.

Apart from the save issue, Spotify is pretty nice. The premium version, which allows for mobile downloads, is free for 48 hours after creating an account. I just downloaded 3GB of music now and as I'm in offline mode, it still works for 30 days now despite the initial 48 hrs limit. And then in 30 days I could create a new account, right? :D

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So the 3.5 Linux kernel just released and it finally has one of the big hot bed issues that required the android to "fork" for a while on top of the earlier kernels semi solved.

Basically the Linux Kernel itself now has a suspend block api built in that should hopefully help immensely speed up the full on merging of Android back into the mainline kernel. They did a ton in 3.3, but they specifically side stepped this issue. It was a hot bed of controversy, and they figured better to work on all of the other stuff 1st to not derail maybe finally getting the merge to happen.

Linux.com describes it as...

When Android code was merged into Linux earlier this year, there was some controversy over Android's "suspend blocker" functionality used for power management. The technology has been especially problematic because drivers in Android devices use the suspend blocker API, but the lack of such an API in Linux has made it impossible to merge them. Now, with Linux 3.5, similar functionality in the kernel called "autosleep and wake locks" should make it easier to merge drivers from Android devices.

If they ever get a full merge done it could help immensely even though the Android team at Google said they aren't going to wait around for stuff to get into the mainline. It should still speed up the process of creating new Android versions a ton as well as the ability to hopefully use a more up to date kernel with each release verses using their forked version on a much older kernel.

kehs

Banned
So the 3.5 Linux kernel just released and it finally has one of the big hot bed issues that required the android to "fork" for a while on top of the earlier kernels semi solved.

Basically the Linux Kernel itself now has a suspend block api built in that should hopefully help immensely speed up the full on merging of Android back into the mainline kernel. They did a ton in 3.3, but they specifically side stepped this issue. It was a hot bed of controversy, and they figured better to work on all of the other stuff 1st to not derail maybe finally getting the merge to happen.

Linux.com describes it as...

When Android code was merged into Linux earlier this year, there was some controversy over Android's "suspend blocker" functionality used for power management. The technology has been especially problematic because drivers in Android devices use the suspend blocker API, but the lack of such an API in Linux has made it impossible to merge them. Now, with Linux 3.5, similar functionality in the kernel called "autosleep and wake locks" should make it easier to merge drivers from Android devices.

If they ever get a full merge done it could help immensely even though the Android team at Google said they aren't going to wait around for stuff to get into the mainline. It should still speed up the process of creating new Android versions a ton as well as the ability to hopefully use a more up to date kernel with each release verses using their forked version on a much older kernel.

Between this and Intel going full hog on android, you have no idea how hot and bothered this makes me.

---

Regarding Google TV. The main thing I love about it is that it turns the cable signal into just another data source, instead of it being another thing tied to your TV. You don't have to bother with switching inputs when you want to view content online or the tv or through the app. The cable signal is just another app, essentially.

You can skip using the guide that comes with the built in box. They have a TV/Movies app that sorts what's playing by genre. Within that app it will also display content from netflix/amazon video so you don't have to even switch to those apps to see if that content is available. People on Dish network can search their DVR (fu comcast!).

Other people can create TV/Movie apps as well that tie into the cable box channels. During I/O they showed a sports app that rates how "exciting" each game is that's on at the moment, as well as people commenting on it (They have their own little social network going on within the app) and from the app you can see stats/player info/etc and then just switch to the channel.

That's the TV side of it.

On the app side. I'm pretty sure everyone here browsers gaf while their watching tv. If you come across a youtube video you can either watch it on your phone/tablet, of you can share it via the share menu to the Google TV remote. What that will do is send the youtube url to the google tv, and then the device will load up youtube and play the video. There's no input switching required. When you're done, just switch back to the "live tv" app or whatever app you were using.

Think of the Google TV as just another app destination with a huge screen while you're on your phone/tablet. If you install the google tv remote on your phone/tablet it will show up in the share menu when appropriate (url/pictures/etc).

It has chrome built w/flash, and technically you should be able to watch content from network sites like abc/nbc/cbs/etc, but since those companies are scared of the future they've intentionally blocked access from google tvs. This infuriates me. I've used chrome to watch streams of sports from abroad because none cable channel was showing it. Ustream.com actually displays a unique UI when you load it up through Google TV, it's dpad oriented and it's almost like a native app. (Think neogaf mobile).

You can also access content from dlna/NAS/upnp devices. The revue comes with an app that can read pretty much anything I've thrown at it. I'm not sure if XBMC is going to get ported to x86 for revue owners, but if you end up with one of the new googletvs that run on arm, it should very very awesome for playing local content. I tried it on my N7 the other day and the UI is crazy slick. The team has mentioned that they've been firstly working on TV based devices (I assume the Q and those android sticks).

The app situation is a bit dire, I won't lie about that, but for the purposes above which what I use it for mainly, I love it. I know most people who already have PCs/xbox/ps3 systems hooked up are thinking "lol", but I got tired of having a pc hooked up to the tv and having to switch inputs to load up a random video. Onlive is preloaded on the co star and the lg tvs, and it's also going to be directly on the play store, so that's another little bonus, even though I don't really care about games too much anymore.

All the Google tvs come with an ir blaster that allows it to control other devices like the cable box/stereo/tv/anything with IR. So you can walk into a room, hit one button on a gogle tv remote and turn everything on. The ir blaster on the costar is built into the handheld remote instead of the device itself, so that's pretty nifty.

As mentioned, some of the things are going to be region locked, and if you're in one of those less luckly regions...well then it's probably not that great, but it's still $99.

/shill

gcubed

the only reason why i even remotely consider it is because its $99... but i just dont see any kind of Google support on it. I mean, they dont even talk about it anymore

kehs

Banned
So the Nexus Q sold out in one day. I'm not sure what conclusions to draw from that fact.

XDA guys love to buy Google Nexus shit so they can bitch about it.

I don't think they made too many of them anyway. I think they're all hand built.

Oozer3993

So Jelly Bean is now pushing out to the US Motorola Xoom WiFi. I've gotten it on mine and played around with it a bit. It seems a bit snappier, and there are a bunch of great new animations. I'm not sure how useful Google Now is gonna be on a tablet, but it's here.

Vanillalite

I want one solely for the beautiful hardware. It's have to be like 8 times cheaper though.

Ditto. I really want one especially cause of the design. No way am I paying that kind of cash for it though. Get back to me when it's like 2/3rds the price.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Man Breaking Bad is such a twisted show. I saw the swedish dude using a sony tablet S on the last episode. Disturbing.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Thanks, Copy. I think I'll wait this one out for now. I may change my mind in ten hours.

Vanillalite

Is it sad that I'm looking through the show off your home screen thread just to see if anyone else with an android phone posts a pic with LTE? LOLOL

I want to data mine that thread and make a chart of who's on 3g 4g and LTE just to see who's got what. I'd also like to data mine the connection bars to if I can just to see.

Kernel source just drop for the AT&T One X.

there's already working alpha of jelly beans(CM10) without the kernel..now with the kernel release, a fully functional one ain't far behind.

dayam I actually like the One X with jelly bean better than the S3 with jellybean....due to the screen and having almost identical performance( no multi function BS)

Vanillalite

Kernel source just drop for the AT&T One X.

there's already working alpha of jelly beans(CM10) without the kernel..now with the kernel release, a fully functional one ain't far behind.

dayam I actually like the One X with jelly bean better than the S3 with jellybean....due to the screen and having almost identical performance( no multi function BS)

I saw this. I told myself I'm not jumping in on CM alphas though. So it'll be a race to see who gets JB out 1st. HTC/AT&T or CM on a stable.

Biggest problem with the One X for me personally is getting good custom stuff because it's all tailored to the international version for now. Not that it doesn't make sense since they had a month head start on that device and all.

Yeah as soon as I posted that I went DOH! Probably 4G on Sprint.

I saw this. I told myself I'm not jumping in on CM alphas though. So it'll be a race to see who gets JB out 1st. HTC/AT&T or CM on a stable.

Biggest problem with the One X for me personally is getting good custom stuff because it's all tailored to the international version for now. Not that it doesn't make sense since they had a month head start on that device and all.

The biggest set back was the lack source code...now dev will be in full speed with the custom stuff.

jelly bean ain't no joke on the gnex....but dayam its really sweet on the One X even on alpha status.

Okay, thought maybe Android-GAF could help with this. Going away to the USA for three weeks soon and will be without access to Wifi for an extended period of that. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a cheap US SIM I could buy for my Nexus S i9023 which would get me enough data for the trip. Any help would be appreciated!

Bboy AJ

Okay, thought maybe Android-GAF could help with this. Going away to the USA for three weeks soon and will be without access to Wifi for an extended period of that. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a cheap US SIM I could buy for my Nexus S i9023 which would get me enough data for the trip. Any help would be appreciated!
T-Mobile $30 prepaid plan.

After the nice design of the Xperia S, P and U, it really looks like Sony's back to generic black slabs.

LERxT.jpg

M.D

This design doesn't fit with anything we've seen form Sony recently. I'm not convinced this is the real or final design.

It actually reminds me of Motorola designs

Question, I have a phone with hardware keys and I was wondering if there's an app that can bake in ICS style softkeys (back, home, menu) to my screen. I've tried some two softkey apps but they summon softkeys on top of your screen. So is there an app that fixes softkeys all the time?

rozay

Banned
Black slabs with non removable battery, which its a instant "fuck off, Sony" to me.
isn't this the superior international version of the Xperia Ion? I'm pretty sure the design was entirely at&t's decisions (and AT&T still fucked them over releasing the ion in the summer)

malyce

I'm sorry but Xperia phones are garbage. Sony if you're listening, it's really simple: less bezel, more screen, no physical buttons, timely updates.

thuway

I'm sorry but Xperia phones are garbage. Sony if you're listening, it's really simple: less bezel, more screen, no physical buttons, timely updates.

The phone above has no physical button, and the Xperia Ion has some excellent reviews which is supposedly BETTER than stock Android. I agree with the update thing- but Xperia has always had quite possibly the nicest physical designs.

This might not have been asked in this thread- but can we expect from Key Lime Pie and the next Nexus phone? I juts sold my Galaxy Note, because I'm awaiting the new Note II. However, if the new Nexus device is also on the horizon, I would love to hear something about it.

Zeppu

This might not have been asked in this thread- but can we expect from Key Lime Pie and the next Nexus phone? I juts sold my Galaxy Note, because I'm awaiting the new Note II. However, if the new Nexus device is also on the horizon, I would love to hear something about it.

A nexus is your best bet IMO. As for KLP (lol), the only thing they've shown which still hasn't made it to Andriod is that remote music playing thing they showed at IO2010(?). My best guess would be that they're going to something a la AirPlay. Android devices are popping up left and right so being able to stream from one to another would be pretty cool. I guess the Q is something along that philosophy.

What's L going to be? Lemon bar?
Lollipop!

thuway

A nexus is your best bet IMO. As for KLP (lol), the only thing they've shown which still hasn't made it to Andriod is that remote music playing thing they showed at IO2010(?). My best guess would be that they're going to something a la AirPlay. Android devices are popping up left and right so being able to stream from one to another would be pretty cool. I guess the Q is something along that philosophy.

The issue with the Nexus is, I am absolutely in love with the 5.3 inch display from the Galaxy Note. It's something that is both functionally beautiful and a conversation piece. --HOWEVER-- I am still envious of Nexus owners who day 1 updated to Jellybean :0/.

Zeppu

The issue with the Nexus is, I am absolutely in love with the 5.3 inch display from the Galaxy Note. It's something that is both functionally beautiful and a conversation piece. --HOWEVER-- I am still envious of Nexus owners who day 1 updated to Jellybean :0/.

While the Note is a brilliant device, it really isn't for everyone. I doubt they'd release a 5+" flagship devices just yet. Maybe in the future where bezels can be reduced without hindering usability, but not yet for sure. It's a shame really. One should be able to get an equally powerful device in different sizes. That being said, CM is doing an awesome job with JellyBean. The update from ICS > JB is tiny compared to GB > ICS. Preview releases for many devices is already out, including the Note.

isn't this the superior international version of the Xperia Ion? I'm pretty sure the design was entirely at&t's decisions (and AT&T still fucked them over releasing the ion in the summer)

No this is an all new phone with MSM8960, 16GB flash, a microSD slot and a 4.6" screen. The design is pretty lame, but the AT&T version is going to be aluminium, other US versions will not, but they may have sacrificed battery life in order to do it. I heard that after the complaints about the Xperia S in terms of battery life they decided to nix the aluminium build and replace the back cover with super thin plastic so they could enlarge the battery. My guess is that the US AT&T version will come with a 1900mAh batter and the non AT&T and international version with the plastic back will be 2200mAh.

I definitely prefer the Xperia S in terms of design language, but I don't know how they could keep the transparent strip and have on-screen buttons. The Xperia GX is definitely a superior design, and I hope that Sony release it in the west.

Anyway, I shouldn't be making any conclusions on the design until I see it in person, the mobile review photos of the Arc were terrible, but in person the phone looked great, it is still the best looking Android phone and second only to the Lumia 900 overall IMO. Not only that, but Eldar has a known agenda against Sony (Ericsson) so if he has portrayed this in a bad light expect it to be much better than that in real life. Sony should close down their entire Russian mobile phone office though, some clowns keep leaking stuff well in advance and kill all the marketing plans. I have no idea why they let these designs out of Lund, Tokyo and London tbh, but Sony is such a fucked up company right now so nothing surprises me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom