• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
No this is an all new phone with MSM8960, 16GB flash, a microSD slot and a 4.6" screen. The design is pretty lame, but the AT&T version is going to be aluminium, other US versions will not, but they may have sacrificed battery life in order to do it. I heard that after the complaints about the Xperia S in terms of battery life they decided to nix the aluminium build and replace the back cover with super thin plastic so they could enlarge the battery. My guess is that the US AT&T version will come with a 1900mAh batter and the non AT&T and international version with the plastic back will be 2200mAh.

I definitely prefer the Xperia S in terms of design language, but I don't know how they could keep the transparent strip and have on-screen buttons. The Xperia GX is definitely a superior design, and I hope that Sony release it in the west.

Anyway, I shouldn't be making any conclusions on the design until I see it in person, the mobile review photos of the Arc were terrible, but in person the phone looked great, it is still the best looking Android phone and second only to the Lumia 900 overall IMO. Not only that, but Eldar has a known agenda against Sony (Ericsson) so if he has portrayed this in a bad light expect it to be much better than that in real life. Sony should close down their entire Russian mobile phone office though, some clowns keep leaking stuff well in advance and kill all the marketing plans. I have no idea why they let these designs out of Lund, Tokyo and London tbh, but Sony is such a fucked up company right now so nothing surprises me.

Wait a second. That is Eldar's site? Fuck! Sorry for linking and mentioning that shit!

rozay

Banned
I'm sorry but Xperia phones are garbage. Sony if you're listening, it's really simple: less bezel, more screen, no physical buttons, timely updates.
Where the hell is your rage coming from? They've been doing that, they just updated the entire 2011 lineup of Xperia phones (minus the play) to 4.0 (including the low end models, who does that these days?) and the GX a few posts above you has on screen buttons with a 4.6 inch screen.

I would have no qualms buying one of their devices over a nexus, just depends on the design.

Sony not updating 2011 devices it looks like. I think it is a mistake not to update the Arc S and the Neo V as these were released in Q4. The rest don't matter, but I think they should support at least those two devices. I also hope they don't cut the Tablet S and P off from updates because that would be a mistake.

They are still assessing the 2012 devices, I think it will be just the ST-E ones that will be updated and the Xperia S as well.

rozay

Banned
Sony not updating 2011 devices it looks like. I think it is a mistake not to update the Arc S and the Neo V as these were released in Q4. The rest don't matter, but I think they should support at least those two devices. I also hope they don't cut the Tablet S and P off from updates because that would be a mistake.

They are still assessing the 2012 devices, I think it will be just the ST-E ones that will be updated and the Xperia S as well.
I love how they announce this today just after I've defended them :p

I love how they announce this today just after I've defended them :p

Haha, I don't think it's a big deal, but they should at update the Arc S, Neo V, Tablet S and Tablet P to JB. I think they will eventually do that, but for now they are not updating 2011 devices until they announce otherwise.

I have had this confirmed separately with Sony, and they have said no 2011 mobile phones are going to be updated at this point in time, the Q4 devices could get it if they have some spare development time after they do the 2012 devices and the new tablet, but they say it seems unlikely as they are working on adding features to their JB skin for their H1 2013 flagship, Xperia S2.

tino

Banned
Where the hell is your rage coming from? They've been doing that, they just updated the entire 2011 lineup of Xperia phones to 4.0 (including the low end models, who does that these days?) and the GX a few posts above you has on screen buttons with a 4.6 inch screen.

I would have no qualms buying one of their devices over a nexus, just depends on the design.

Bullshit. Where is ICS for my Xperia Play.

rozay

Banned
Bullshit. Where is ICS for my Xperia Play.
Ask Gameloft

It's a bad situation because even if they release it as an optional update there's going to be some idiot consumer who upgrades, discovers games that were advertised with the phone don't work anymore, then sues.

malyce

Where the hell is your rage coming from? They've been doing that, they just updated the entire 2011 lineup of Xperia phones to 4.0 (including the low end models, who does that these days?) and the GX a few posts above you has on screen buttons with a 4.6 inch screen.

Any tech company that refuses to innovate or continuously does dumb shit should burn. Nokia, RIM, SE, LG etc. HTC seems to have removed its head from its ass and is currently in the process of turning things around, but yeah that's where my rage stems from lol.

tino

Banned
Ask Gameloft

It's a bad situation because even if they release it as an optional update there's going to be some idiot consumer who upgrades, discovers games that were advertised with the phone don't work anymore, then sues.

Blad blad blad. You can keep doing free PR for Sony; Sony can keep releasing S3-powered ugly phones with locked bootloader; I keep shitting on Sony's lame phones.

gcubed

I pre-ordered the damn co-star. Is HBO-Go on the on google tv? I'm really tired of changing inputs, starting up a power sucking game machine (and having to pay for live), just to watch some shows.... but if HBO Go isn't on Google TV then that kinda kills it

kehs

Banned
I pre-ordered the damn co-star. Is HBO-Go on the on google tv? I'm really tired of changing inputs, starting up a power sucking game machine (and having to pay for live), just to watch some shows.... but if HBO Go isn't on Google TV then that kinda kills it

Not sure, I know they just released it for android, but I don't know about Google TV. Quick play store check says no for the revue, might be different for the co-start though.

Congrats and welcome to the future*.

*future may or may not be based at a previous time

e: the costar page is a little funny.

Apps By The Thousand

Thousand...as in singular thousand.

This blog from November intimates that HBO Go is available though:

http://googletv.blogspot.com/2011/10/update-on-google-tv.html

We’ve improved search across the board for content from Live TV, Netflix, YouTube, HBO GO, and more.

gcubed

Not sure, I know they just released it for android, but I don't know about Google TV. Quick play store check says no for the revue, might be different for the co-start though.

Congrats and welcome to the future*.

*future may or may not be based at a previous time

e: the costar page is a little funny.

Thousand...as in singular thousand.

at least they are truthful. They had HBO Go for a while, it just finally got updated for ICS and beyond though... between no that and no xfinity TV player i dont have much use besides a browser

kehs

Banned
at least they are truthful. They had HBO Go for a while, it just finally got updated for ICS and beyond though... between no that and no xfinity TV player i dont have much use besides a browser

The channel sorting is what makes it for me. I hate having to go back to the second TV(where the costar is going) and go through the stupid box UI to see what's on. I keep my tv on in the background though, so if you're not much of a channel surfer I could see why it's not that interesting.

I also still have no idea if the costar is still on HC of if they've built a GoogleTV version running ICS.

Blad blad blad. You can keep doing free PR for Sony; Sony can keep releasing S3-powered ugly phones with locked bootloader; I keep shitting on Sony's lame phones.

That's definitely not true. Since 2011 no unbranded device ships with a bootloader that can't be unlocked officially. The Free Xperia Team on XDA support all 2011 devices, the NXT range from 2012 and the Xperia X10i. If your carrier has locked the bootloader that is not down to Sony, blame the carrier.

Knight77

About the leaked pics of the new Sony Mint:
1) It is not the final design, is a prototype, final one will be similar to GX with unibody metal design
2) looking well at the pics it has almost the same screen size of SGS3, o screen is 4.6/4.8... Dunno why in the article they claim 4.3... Xperia blog already pointed out...

rozay

Banned
I've never recommended anyone to buy a play for those exact reasons, I just felt it was important to note that they're updating their low end phones unlike samsung and HTC. It's not Sony's fault if you buy phones from carriers with locked bootloaders

gcubed

The channel sorting is what makes it for me. I hate having to go back to the second TV(where the costar is going) and go through the stupid box UI to see what's on. I keep my tv on in the background though, so if you're not much of a channel surfer I could see why it's not that interesting.

I also still have no idea if the costar is still on HC of if they've built a GoogleTV version running ICS.

I already use Comcasts next gen cable box which allows all of that. Watching Google announce TV and not use GoogleTV has me hovering on the cancel button

tino

Banned
I've never recommended anyone to buy a play for those exact reasons, I just felt it was important to note that they're updating their low end phones unlike samsung and HTC. It's not Sony's fault if you buy phones from carriers with locked bootloaders

So now you are back paddling? How about you go back and edit your post where you kissed the butts of the Sony 2011 Xperisa phones?

I am be here all year to advise people against buying Sony phones. Oh btw, still has a S3 chip inside! *point and laugh*

rozay

Banned
So now you are back paddling? How about you go back and edit your post where you kissed the butts of the Sony 2011 Xperisa phones?

I am be here all year to advise people against buying Sony phones. Oh btw, still has a S3 chip inside! *point and laugh*
I'm sorry your mother was raped by your xperia play, but next time do some research on phones you purchase instead of getting angry after the fact.

Once your rage subsides and you can think clearly, you'll notice the lt30 has an S4. If you really want, you can dig through my post history and see where I criticized the xperia S and Ion announcement for shipping with 2.3 and having an S3, but I wouldn't wish using the search function that deeply on my worst enemy. I'm going to backpedal on that for now because I just tried the search and it's either in a different thread or XDA.

rozay

Banned
Sony still can't get any good phone in the US. Look for Huawei take over Sony's US marketshare next year.
That I can agree with, but I don't purchase carrier phones aside from iPhones every 2 years to sell so that's not what I'm basing my opinion on :p Thankfully, we live in a time where unlocked phones from overseas now have the correct 3G bands for at&t and t-mobile. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Huawei even overtakes HTC though, they're willing to do whatever carriers ask of them.

kehs

Banned
I already use Comcasts next gen cable box which allows all of that. Watching Google announce TV and not use GoogleTV has me hovering on the cancel button

Is it this? http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/21/comcast-x1-dvr-iphone-app-launch/

That's looks really slick. I'm impressed.

--

Surprised to not see it mentioned, but the first impression about a Google owned Motorola seems to be a good thing. Unlockable bootloaders seem to be in the works.

We know there are users out there who have been asking for an unlockable bootloader on their Motorola Mobility device. For quite some time now, we’ve been working closely with our carrier partners to find a way to make that possible — all while keeping the networks secure and protecting other users’ experiences. We’re excited to announce that Motorola PHOTON Q 4G LTE, just announced today and coming soon to Sprint’s fast 4G LTE network, will have an unlockable bootloader. We’ll share more details on how to take advantage of this feature closer to availability. And moving forward, we’ll be looking to offer this option on other devices as well.

http://www.motorola.com/blog/2012/07/26/unlock-the-bootloader-on-motorola-photon-q-4g-lte/

gcubed

ha, i was a few feet to the right in that video, i helped set up the wireless for that demo back through our infrastructure. Got a bottle of 15yr old Red Breast whiskey for helping at the last minute.

Anyway, i forgot that it runs a full fledged Chrome and doesnt need an app (its built into TV & Movies app apparently). My finger has been removed from the cancel button

rozay

Banned
Is it this? http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/21/comcast-x1-dvr-iphone-app-launch/

That's looks really slick. I'm impressed.

--

Surprised to not see it mentioned, but the first impression about a Google owned Motorola seems to be a good thing. Unlockable bootloaders seem to be in the works.

http://www.motorola.com/blog/2012/07/26/unlock-the-bootloader-on-motorola-photon-q-4g-lte/
tough luck if you're an at&t or verizon user, though

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the company earlier this month confirmed that the bootloader on another recent handset, the Atrix HD, would be locked down in order to "meet requirements." Clearly negotiating such matters with carriers continues to be a challenge, but we should know more about what Motorola has come up with soon.
I really wonder how the at&t S3 was able to be released without a locked bootloader.

kehs

Banned
ha, i was a few feet to the right in that video, i helped set up the wireless for that demo back through our infrastructure. Got a bottle of 15yr old Red Breast whiskey for helping at the last minute.

Anyway, i forgot that it runs a full fledged Chrome and doesnt need an app (its built into TV & Movies app apparently). My finger has been removed from the cancel button

Chrome is a separate app, it's just the universal search that access the tv/movie app and chrome or any other app at the same time.

tough luck if you're an at&t or verizon user, though

I really wonder how the at&t S3 was able to be released without a locked bootloader.

I think the atrix was in the works for a long time before the Google acquisition so I'm guessing those terms were set already.

gcubed

Chrome is a separate app, it's just the universal search that access the tv/movie app and chrome or any other app at the same time.

yeah, i meant the indexing and searching of your content available on HBO Go is indexed through the TV/Movies app and launches Chrome for streaming (which is of much better quality then the stupid app we have now)

kehs

Banned
So I guess Jellybean gave my Nexus S ketoacidosis.

It literally just died. Won't turn on, at all. Anyone know how to uh....bring it back to life?

Toki767

False alarm, seems I need a new battery. Kinda disappointed....lol I had visions about a new phone already.

Haha. Well the Nexus S is kinda old now. I don't even think it handles Jelly Bean as well as the Galaxy Nexus. I know Jelly Bean on my Captivate has very brief moments of lag. How is it on the Nexus S?

kehs

Banned
Haha. Well the Nexus S is kinda old now. I don't even think it handles Jelly Bean as well as the Galaxy Nexus. I know Jelly Bean on my Captivate has very brief moments of lag. How is it on the Nexus S?

Going from a GN to it, its not that great. I need to do a factory reset since its still has a bunch of that's not mine on it. Hoping that would help.

Using the N7 at home also makes all the flaws really stand out....recent apps I'm looking at you.

Toki767

Going from a GN to it, its not that great. I need to do a factory reset since its still has a bunch of that's not mine on it. Hoping that would help.

Using the N7 at home also makes all the flaws really stand out....recent apps I'm looking at you.

I figured as much. Also since the Nexus S/Captivate doesn't have two microphones for noise cancellation, Voice Search on Jelly Bean isn't accurate sometimes.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Tried using NFC to pay for my stuff today. It didn't work. What did I do wrong :(

Ummm

not sure if the same rules apply to NG as it does to the GS3 but before you flash a new rom, you're suppose to clear out your Wallet settings.

If you flash a new ROM without clearing the settings, the secured NFC stuff that allows you to pay using Wallet on your phone is bricked forever.

jokkir

Anyone else find that they're not using their Android phones as much as a phone anymore? I mean, most of the time I find myself spending hours on trying new ROMS and whatnot.

roeS2.jpg
bnPGp.jpg

fFiHj.jpg
ol4w2.jpg

Anyone else find that they're not using their Android phones as much as a phone anymore? I mean, most of the time I find myself spending hours on trying new ROMS and whatnot.

I'm trying to experiment with Google Now......but it doesn't seem to be doing much yet......only had it a few days

gwarm01

I picked up the 32gb Galaxy S3 this past Sunday. I'm absolutely blown away by the performance on this thing, incredible upgrade from my Epic 4G. My only problem is that the phone is really just too large. I'm on Verizon now, so I'm toying with the idea of exchanging the phone for the Incredible 4G. Are there any better phones available in that size class? I would really prefer something I could hold comfortably in one hand, but I don't want to sacrifice too much performance. How does the Incredible feel compared to the S3 as far as performance goes?

edit: that red S3 is sexy. Must not be tempted..

Sheik

Enjoying Jelly Bean on my Nexus S. Runs a lot better than ICS but still has its moments of lag. I think I might have to upgrade to a new phone soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom