• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
I picked up the 32gb Galaxy S3 this past Sunday. I'm absolutely blown away by the performance on this thing, incredible upgrade from my Epic 4G. My only problem is that the phone is really just too large. I'm on Verizon now, so I'm toying with the idea of exchanging the phone for the Incredible 4G. Are there any better phones available in that size class? I would really prefer something I could hold comfortably in one hand, but I don't want to sacrifice too much performance. How does the Incredible feel compared to the S3 as far as performance goes?

edit: that red S3 is sexy. Must not be tempted..

Nowhere near as responsive and MUCH less likely to get an OS upgrade past whatever it ships with. If you want something smaller than the gs3 without compromising too much performance, the $99 Galaxy Nexus is your only option here. Otherwise, switch carriers.

gwarm01

Nowhere near as responsive and MUCH less likely to get an OS upgrade past whatever it ships with. If you want something smaller than the gs3 without compromising too much performance, the $99 Galaxy Nexus is your only option here. Otherwise, switch carriers.

Thanks for the response, but this is not the news I wanted to hear. My wife has a Galaxy Nexus, and the two phones are basically the same size. I was afraid the Incredible 4G would be inadequate compared to the S3, but I just had to ask.

Al-ibn Kermit

What about the Droid Razr? It's Motorola at least.

2N4Js.png

dpXrj.png

almost convinced me moto... almost...

Germany hates freedom, confirmed!

A Mannheim Regional Court has ruled on Microsoft’s FAT patent case against Motorola, granting Microsoft's request for a ban on relevant devices, according to Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents. Microsoft's Corporate Vice President and Deputy General Counsel, David Howard issued the following statement:

"Today's decision, which follows similar rulings in the U.S. and Germany, is further proof that Motorola Mobility is broadly infringing Microsoft's intellectual property. We will continue to enforce injunctions against Motorola Mobility products in those countries and hope they will join other Android device makers by taking a license to Microsoft's patented inventions."
In order to enforce the injunction, Microsoft will need to pay a €10 million bond, reports Mueller. The patent in question, EP0618540, is part of Microsoft’s File Allocation Table (FAT), a legacy filesystem that's still widely used, primarily for backward compatibility. The patent is on long name / short name file indexing, whereby each file has one short and at least one long filename associated with it, giving two-way access to the stored information.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/27/3192900/microsoft-motorola-fat-patent-germany-decision

TheTowel

Tried using NFC to pay for my stuff today. It didn't work. What did I do wrong :(

Did you have any signal? Tried to use it a couple of weekends ago. Really excited, the guy at the register said no one's tried it before annnd... No signal at Macys. Just didn't go through. Disappointed. I really don't want to go to McDonalds to try the damn thing out.

Does it work anywhere with PayPal? Doesn't need to have a big google wallet sign, right?

snacknuts

we all knew her
Did you have any signal? Tried to use it a couple of weekends ago. Really excited, the guy at the register said no one's tried it before annnd... No signal at Macys. Just didn't go through. Disappointed. I really don't want to go to McDonalds to try the damn thing out.

Does it work anywhere with PayPal? Doesn't need to have a big google wallet sign, right?

Anywhere that takes the MasterCard PayPass thing.

this_guy

Anyone else find that they're not using their Android phones as much as a phone anymore? I mean, most of the time I find myself spending hours on trying new ROMS and whatnot.

I did that when I picked up the original HTC Evo 4g, but now I just want my phone to do what I need it to (text, internet, and occasional phone calls). I'll do a little customization with launchers and what not, but I haven't flashed any new roms yet on my Galaxy S3.

Sipowicz

Banned
Hoping for some help. When i delete emails from my phone they do not delete from the mail server. I'm using a pop3 account on the default mail client in ice cream sandwich. Any ideas?

More than a third of Android apps host malware

MIAMI – More than a third of all Google Android applications contain some form of malware, according to tests conducted by BT. A security expert for the U.K. telecom service provider said it expects to test apps for other mobile operating systems and find similar results.

“We analyzed more than 1,000 Android applications and found a third compromised with some form of active or dormant malware,” said Jill Knesek, head of the global security practice at BT. “Almost every device is compromised with some kind of malware, although often it’s not clear if that code is active or what it is doing,” she said in a panel discussion at the NetEvents Americas conference here.
http://cdn.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4391305/More-than-a-third-of-Android-apps-host-malware

To be fair, I consider ads as malware too.

kehs

Banned
Hoping for some help. When i delete emails from my phone they do not delete from the mail server. I'm using a pop3 account on the default mail client in ice cream sandwich. Any ideas?

What email service? If you can, switch over to imap instead. Sounds like something with your server settings set to not delete emails from server if deleted on client.

“We analyzed more than 1,000 Android applications and found a third compromised with some form of active or dormant malware,”

"We label apps as dormant malware because they do stuff, that on a technical level, counts as malware"

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What email service? If you can, switch over to imap instead. Sounds like something with your server settings set to not delete emails from server if deleted on client.

Ditto! Try and switch to IMAP asap. POP3 is so old, and I hate that companies like Comcast don't support IMAP and only POP3.

KePoW

Banned
I have not followed this thread at all, so I apologize if this has already been answered.

I have a HTC Sensation (T-Mobile), that I just recently updated to ICS. This is their official update (4.0.3) because my phone is not rooted.

Most of ICS seems nice, however I have one really annoying problem/change. In the stock browser, every time I click a youtube link now, it opens the video on the youtube website... NOT the youtube app.

I much prefer to view videos in the app, but I can't figure out how to change it back to this way. Any insight?

I have not followed this thread at all, so I apologize if this has already been answered.

I have a HTC Sensation (T-Mobile), that I just recently updated to ICS. This is their official update (4.0.3) because my phone is not rooted.

Most of ICS seems nice, however I have one really annoying problem/change. In the stock browser, every time I click a youtube link now, it opens the video on the youtube website... NOT the youtube app.

I much prefer to view videos in the app, but I can't figure out how to change it back to this way. Any insight?

Go to the broswer app info and tap on clear defaults. The tap on a YT link, it will open up the prompt box to ask what you want to do, tick the "always choose this" box and then tap the YouTube app button.

Sony Xperia J
http://i.imgur.com/5gCgrl.jpg[/ IMG]

[url]http://www.eprice.com.tw/mobile/talk/4551/4794118/[/url]

When did Sony go from not making enough android phones to making too much damn Android phones.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, if this is Krait, it already looks 100x better than the Mint/Xperia Z.

KePoW

Banned
Go to the broswer app info and tap on clear defaults. The tap on a YT link, it will open up the prompt box to ask what you want to do, tick the "always choose this" box and then tap the YouTube app button.

Tried that, didn't work. It's really weird, I've tried clearing defaults and caches everywhere I can see in the browser and Youtube apps.

You mean here right:

ibtomxkSeXGJD4.jpg

i952uOIddbixN.jpg

kehs

Banned
Lenovo drops support for their tablet, and then releases a vanilla build.

That's pretty cool, hope more companies do this when devices reach EOL.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad...-Cream-Sandwich-Android-4-Vanilla/ta-p/808729

---

They still care gcube:

An update just in time for the weekend

The TV & Movies app on your #GoogleTV now includes a New Releases shelf so you never miss out on the latest movies.

It's updated daily with newly-released movies to rent, as well as from your subscriptions such as Netflix. Look in the Movies tab within the TV & Movies app.

Let us know what you think and the movies you decide to watch.

https://plus.google.com/106322104148750976656/posts

Nakazato

hows the Battery on the one X ?

Im thinking about picking up since it will have me some money and allow me to also pick up a nexus 7.

hows the Battery on the one X ?

Im thinking about picking up since it will have me some money and allow me to also pick up a nexus 7.

I have the AT&T/Rogers version and the battery life is great, I've never had to stretch it towards the end of the night like I had to with my Samsung Galaxy S II LTE

Nakazato

I have the AT&T/Rogers version and the battery life is great, I've never had to stretch it towards the end of the night like I had to with my Samsung Galaxy S II LTE

hmmmm im just scared to buy a phone with out a removable bat since when im working on shows/movies on normally there for 10-14 hours and i need a phone with moderate use can get me 10-11 hours

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife

this is false! The lastest update was last week!

People still work on it!

of course. Google TV hold hangouts nearly every week. Latest one was last night. They keep skipping all my questions. They're legit questions..but then they answer questions like..when will flash be updated..or the ol "we don't know yet" to everything else

I asked if another tv with GTV built in would be coming out this year or should I get a set top box. They skip that..then I asked about internal memory..skipped...Then I asked what happened to all the prototype tvs at CES..skipped.

kehs

Banned
this is false! The lastest update was last week!

of course. Google TV hold hangouts nearly every week. Latest one was last night. They keep skipping all my questions. They're legit questions..but then they answer questions like..when will flash be updated..or the ol "we don't know yet" to everything else

I asked if another tv with GTV built in would be coming out this year or should I get a set top box. They skip that..then I asked about internal memory..skipped...Then I asked what happened to all the prototype tvs at CES..skipped.

You should ask them how awesome Google TV is, they'll definitely answer it.

jokkir

Anyone know how location services are "better" if WiFi is on even when not connected to a network? I still dont really understand it

scently

I am having a bit of a problem with my htc one x. I just rooted the device and somehow i cannot download any app or update the ones that came with the phone. I backed up the phone with my backup app but I cannot restore with it as I cannot even download it again. What could be preventing me from being able to download. When I click on an app to download, it just says downloading and it just stays like that. Please help.

EDIT: Falsae alarm. It seems like my network was acting up.

EDIT 2: Nope this is definitely from my phone, it refuses to start any download except through wifi. I have reset the phone but no dice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom