• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
Is Sony immune to patent lawsuits?
For some reason, they've been out of the sight of all the major companies embroiled in them.

Sony creates actual legitimate technologies, so they have a plenty of real ammunition that would be hard to bully against.

Sony creates actual legitimate technologies, so they have a plenty of real ammunition that would be hard to bully against.

So does Samsung. I think its more because Sony's share of the smartphone market is tiny next to HTC and Samsung, so that's where Apple's attention is.

No one is really bothering to sue Kyocera or Huawei either, and probably for the same reason.

kehs

Banned
So does Samsung. I think its more because Sony's share of the smartphone market is tiny next to HTC and Samsung, so that's where Apple's attention is.

No one is really bothering to sue Kyocera or Huawei either, and probably for the same reason.

That'd definitely a large part of it, agreed.

----

I'm about to sell this Nexus S and buy me another GN. I just did a factory reset and it's been restoring apps for 45 minutes.

Patriots7

But at the same time, Sony is the 2nd largest Android manufacturer in Europe as of last year, and the 6th largest smartphone manufacturer in the world (2011) with 5.5% of the global smartphone market. Not exactly close to Samsung's 20% share or HTC's 9%, but still decent and more than Motorola who is embroiled in numerous lawsuits. Not to mention in Q4 of 2011 they were essentially tied with HTC at 9%.
http://communities-dominate.blogs.c...handset-brands-operating-systems-and-ins.html

Microsoft have gone after every company even remotely looking at Chrome/Android, even small companies the general public has never even heard of. I guess the combination of Sony and Ericsson must have a scary mobile patent portfolio that nobody wants to disturb.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I am having a bit of a problem with my htc one x. I just rooted the device and somehow i cannot download any app or update the ones that came with the phone. I backed up the phone with my backup app but I cannot restore with it as I cannot even download it again. What could be preventing me from being able to download. When I click on an app to download, it just says downloading and it just stays like that. Please help.

EDIT: Falsae alarm. It seems like my network was acting up.

EDIT 2: Nope this is definitely from my phone, it refuses to start any download except through wifi. I have reset the phone but no dice.
Are your APNs set up properly in your mobile network settings? I had some issues with that.

But at the same time, Sony is the 2nd largest Android manufacturer in Europe as of last year, and the 6th largest smartphone manufacturer in the world (2011) with 5.5% of the global smartphone market. Not exactly close to Samsung's 20% share or HTC's 9%, but still decent and more than Motorola who is embroiled in numerous lawsuits. Not to mention in Q4 of 2011 they were essentially tied with HTC at 9%.
http://communities-dominate.blogs.c...handset-brands-operating-systems-and-ins.html

Microsoft have gone after every company even remotely looking at Chrome/Android, even small companies the general public has never even heard of. I guess the combination of Sony and Ericsson must have a scary mobile patent portfolio that nobody wants to disturb.

It's unlikely that MS feels like they really need to bother Sony while they are busy self-destructing. There are plenty of companies which are not bleeding billions of dollars that MS can sue.

Cipherr

Thats probably exactly what it is. HTC was the big dog in Android before the S2 catapulted Samsung into popularity, and back then I remember only reading about Apple HTC suits, but they got way more aggressive with Samsung right around the time Samsungs future projections started to aim towards outer space. These days Samsung is nigh the sole target of theirs, and while that might be coincidence, I sincerely doubt it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'll give it a few days, but be forewarned, I'm not using it for anything other than an basically and mp3 player, talk messenger, email, and randoms calss at the moment since I got the n7.

----

350ppi OLED from Samsung?

hnnnnnnggg

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-supposedly-set-produce-350-ppi-display

Nice for OLED tech, but I'm sort of over PPI as most screens now on high end devices are hitting that range of it's in great ppi territory.

I'm more about improving other aspects of screen tech like Super AMOLED + did. They need to do that to the HD screens. More stuff like that would get me excited. Color accuracy and color clarity should be the bigger focus now IMO.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yeah the ppi levels of the top phones are more than enough. Any more is just REALLY diminishing returns. If they're going to focus on anything to improve with screen tech, they should focus on power usage of the screen.

Vanillalite

Yeah the ppi levels of the top phones are more than enough. Any more is just REALLY diminishing returns. If they're going to focus on anything to improve with screen tech, they should focus on power usage of the screen.

That too. I forgot to include that!

Though to a certain extent your SOL if you need a high brightness level.

Blackhead

Redarse

Vanillalite

Why Retina Isn’t Enough [Feature]

Refrigerator vindicated :O

I've heard this argument before. Problem is Retina is good enough even though it's not perfect verses other things that could be better focused on. I'd love a 4k phone, but I'd rather seem them work on color accuracy as that's the bigger current issue over the pixel density.

Once we get color accuracy, screen brightness, power usage etc... worked on more then we can go back to the pixel density. This is all just my opinion though, and I'm sure many probably disagree.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I will not be satisfied until my display is like I'm looking at a mirror.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Ouch...the HTC One X on AT&T price dropped to $99.99 on contract. I guess that kind of kills the Atrix HD.

And the Xperia Ion

Meanwhile:

TTSSBE02-2.jpg

TTSSBE02-1-2-350x350.jpg

Tokova is not the most popular Android tablet manufacturer. In fact, I am willing to bet that about 99% of you probably haven’t even heard about it before. But when it comes getting respect in the mean streets of your neighborhood, this company’s tablets might be your best option. A good ol’ tablet just doesn’t seem to be enough for Soulja Boy fans, as the rapper has partnered with Tokova to release a couple exclusive tablets.

The Soulja Boy Edition tablets come in two versions – the Tokova Tiger Shark (image to the right) and Tokova Great White. Both feature an exclusive design with the singer’s name and image. Aside from that, these tablets offer the same as their original editions. Which makes it seem like Tokova is simply using Soulja Boy’s popularity to drive a few sales.

On paper, these tablets don’t seem as horrible as one would think. The $400 Tiger Shark is a 7-inch pad with Android 4.0, a 1.2 GHz processor and 64 GB of internal storage. Meanwhile, the Great White goes for $500 and offers a 9.5-inch display, Android 4.0, a 1.5 GHz quad-core processor, 2 GB of RAM and 64 GB of internal storage.

For what it’s worth, these seem like very capable devices. But they are rather expensive, at least considering the company’s fame (or lack thereof). And taking the competition into consideration, it is very hard for us to figure out who would be able to take advantage of these. Other than raging Soulja Boy fans.

If they follow Soulja Boy’s example, they probably like to throw away money and blow their noses with $100 bills. Wasting your money should be no issue. All 5 of you can now raid the store and get your new tablets now. I will stick with my Nexus 7.

http://phandroid.com/2012/07/28/soulja-boy-tablet-you-got-it/

All my contacts are gone, just like that. Even on gmail. Any ideas how that could've happened? GMail also refuses to let me import my contacts from Hotmail.

God, I swear, contact management on Windows Phone was much better all around.

kehs

Banned
All my contacts are gone, just like that. Even on gmail. Any ideas how that could've happened? GMail also refuses to let me import my contacts from Hotmail.

God, I swear, contact management on Windows Phone was much better all around.

Did you remove them from "My Contacts" label?

If you go into gmail/contacts on the desktop you can restore your contacts to any state up to 30 days ago.

Did you remove them from "My Contacts" label?

If you go into gmail/contacts on the desktop you can restore your contacts to any state up to 30 days ago.

I didn't do anything. It seems to be a sync issue with hotmail. Mail works fine, though. I have no idea what is going on.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I didn't do anything. It seems to be a sync issue with hotmail. Mail works fine, though. I have no idea what is going on.

Something similar happened to me long ago. Hotmail had a glitch where they deleted all contacts (then google synced with empty so it deleted contacts). Hotmail then fixed the glitch and restored the contacts, but only to Hotmail. I used google's restore and disabled hotmail and all was well.

deleted

AndroidGaf I need your help!

I want to upgrade my xperia play with the xdarc ics v0.1 and have hit a wall while rooting the thing.
I managed to get through most of the process, but now i have to type these commands:
  • fastboot -i 0xfce flash boot boot.img
  • fastboot -i 0xfce reboot

Where do I get the boot.img? The tutorials I've found are extremly unspecific regarding that point. Does it have to be one for the xdarc cf?
Got me over an hour already to find out, that I have to type the commands in the specific folder and that the old command-box doesn't accept a space or '-' in the folders name - My knowlegde of DOS has vanished over the years :p 'cd..' is the only command I could remember.

Edit: Got it. The xdarc update doesn't have a boot.img. The other one I loaded was corrupt and now I finally found one that seems to do the trick.

Something similar happened to me long ago. Hotmail had a glitch where they deleted all contacts (then google synced with empty so it deleted contacts). Hotmail then fixed the glitch and restored the contacts, but only to Hotmail. I used google's restore and disabled hotmail and all was well.

That sounds like a good explanation, but they were never gone on Hotmail and my phone still won't pull the contacts from the account (it's set up as exchange account). I've tried to import them over the gmail app on the PC, but it says it couldn't validate the account/password combination. I ended up exporting the contacts in a csv file and import it on gmail again.

Circle T

And the Xperia Ion

Until you just mentioned it, I totally forgot that phone actually exists. Never even seen one in person. I just asked the reps at my store, and they've never even gotten any in. Looks like it might be a web-only thing. Sent to die, sadly, due to taking so long to get it out.

deleted

Me again - seems I failed the update.
I can boot the play into the new root menu, but when it tries to boot up android its just a black screen for several minutes without anything happening.
Repeated the entire process just to rule out a mistake.
What to do now? Can I get the phone working as a mass torage device to replace the file from which i want to boot? Or do I have to buy a MicroSD Reader now to get that done?

malyce

Me again - seems I failed the update.
I can boot the play into the new root menu, but when it tries to boot up android its just a black screen for several minutes without anything happening.
Repeated the entire process just to rule out a mistake.
What to do now? Can I get the phone working as a mass torage device to replace the file from which i want to boot? Or do I have to buy a MicroSD Reader now to get that done?

Do you have a link to the tutorial you're following?

lunchtoast

What is a good call over wifi option? I'm temporarily living in a place that is a dead zone and I don't want to buy another phone when it works fine everywhere else. So far I've been using grooveIP. It's fine for short calls but the quality isn't good and drops in and out when I walk around.

Also, android has that SIP account feature but I don't know if I can use that with verizon or if I need to pay for it.

Thanks.

tino

Banned
What is a good call over wifi option? I'm temporarily living in a place that is a dead zone and I don't want to buy another phone when it works fine everywhere else. So far I've been using grooveIP. It's fine for short calls but the quality isn't good and drops in and out when I walk around.

Also, android has that SIP account feature but I don't know if I can use that with verizon or if I need to pay for it.

Thanks.

IMO the "best" is Skype. Its still not as good as regular phone.

Thanks.

if GrooVeIP isn't working well for you over wifi, you can try Talkatone...

daoster

Dunno if this is the exact place to ask this...but for the Google Music App on Android (running Jelly Bean 4.1.1), is anybody's shuffle function like all screwed up? Like it won't actually shuffle until you unshuffle and shuffle again a couple of times. It's pretty darn annoying.

Dunno if this is the exact place to ask this...but for the Google Music App on Android (running Jelly Bean 4.1.1), is anybody's shuffle function like all screwed up? Like it won't actually shuffle until you unshuffle and shuffle again a couple of times. It's pretty darn annoying.

Yup. It's damn annoying. I've pressed that button ten times and it still won't work.

I just installed Jelly Bean on my Vibrant. This thing is a beast now. I will use this phone for at least another 2 years unless it dies first.

Thank goodness for the nice developers that still support this device. Fuck Samsung and all the shitty manufacturers that don't update their devices.

Vanillalite

Found this on the XDA Forums...

Supposedly a trusted tweeter @Football4PDA (along with some HTC Elevate members) has this to say...

"HOX 4.0.4 update is coming next 1-2 weeks it will contain enhancements for memory,platform stability,browsing experience,beats audio and etc"

"Also HOX will receive Sense 4.1 (not confirmed yet...)"​

Yep. Also, when I select a certain album to shuffle it shuffles in other stuff after only a few songs. Really annoying, hope they fix it soon.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Question. If I were to do a factory restore from the fastboot option of my phone, but there has been a firmware update since I received my phone, will it restore to the initial firmware mode, or restore to the newest firmware revision?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom