• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

Question. If I were to do a factory restore from the fastboot option of my phone, but there has been a firmware update since I received my phone, will it restore to the initial firmware mode, or restore to the newest firmware revision?

no factory restore would change your firmware

tino

Banned
Indeed. Its making me appreciate my S3 that much more, having the buttons off screen at the bottom instead of a wide empty bezel.

I am starting to think for large screen devices, the best control layout would be stationary buttons in the bottom and additional virtual controls on the edge ICS Browser style. There really isn't space anywhere else.

The worst kind of control is the hacked Galaxy Nexus ROM with the disappearing buttons. Every time you want to press back you have to touch the middle or corner of the screen and then touch the virtual buttons. Just terrible.

GQman2121

Banned
What Launchers are compatible to receive notifications for the Gmail app or built in mail app setup to use Gmail?

I've been more than happy with Launcher Pro, and was willing to wait and see if they were able to figure something out, but it's been a year now and nothing has been done. I know it's out of their hands, but still, I would like to have notifications on for my personal email account.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
What Launchers are compatible to receive notifications for the Gmail app or built in mail app setup to use Gmail?

I've been more than happy with Launcher Pro, and was willing to wait and see if they were able to figure something out, but it's been a year now and nothing has been done. I know it's out of their hands, but still, I would like to have notifications on for my personal email account.

Didn't the launcher pro guy just disappear?

kehs

Banned
I don't want to imply to heavily or anything, but when LP first came out, I dug around it's code and found HTC assets from their weather widgets in LP code. This was around the time android launcher was trash compared to HTC, and when the "zoomed out" homescreen view was unique to HTC sense. Incidentally, LP had that feature too.

I'm not saying he stripped down HTC's launcher and released it as his own.

Just sayin' though.

GQman2121

Banned
It seems that way. :(

Decent product, but shitty of him to just vanish.

Any suggestions about my question though? Or are no custom launchers supporting Gmail?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I don't want to imply to heavily or anything, but when LP first came out, I dug around it's code and found HTC assets from their weather widgets in LP code. This was around the time android launcher was trash compared to HTC, and when the "zoomed out" homescreen view was unique to HTC sense. Incidentally, LP had that feature too.

I'm not saying he stripped down HTC's launcher and released it as his own.

Just sayin' though.

Well there are rumours that he died, so maybe the HTC hit squad got to him.

kehs

Banned
It seems that way. :(

Decent product, but shitty of him to just vanish.

Any suggestions about my question though? Or are no custom launchers supporting Gmail?

I think ADW supports the new Gmail API for notification badges. Plus he'll provide support (anders is a pretty cool guy). He says that he's still finding his code in other people's launcher without credit. hah.

Well there are rumours that he died, so maybe the HTC hit squad got to him.

Phandroid(one of those blogs) posted an article a few days ago about him, and I think he popped up in the comment section talking about being really busy.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Really busy, yeah right. The hell with that guy.

kehs

Banned
So does everyone just use their default launchers so Gmail works? Or do you just not use Gmail for your custom launchers?

Not sure what you mean now.

Gmail still works, the only thing you don't get on the default launcher is the number badge on top of the icon.

Ashhong

Fuck Federico's lazy ass. I bought both Launcher Pro and Uber Music and he just stopped supporting both out of the blue.

He stopped supporting Launcher Pro way before Uber was released. You should have known this was coming.

So does everyone just use their default launchers so Gmail works? Or do you just not use Gmail for your custom launchers?

Did you try ADW? I am pretty sure Go Launcher works as well

GQman2121

Banned
Not sure what you mean now.

Gmail still works, the only thing you don't get on the default launcher is the number badge on top of the icon.

Gmail push notifications don't work with many of the custom launchers.

He stopped supporting Launcher Pro way before Uber was released. You should have known this was coming.

Did you try ADW? I am pretty sure Go Launcher works as well

I'm going to check it out now. Thanks

GQman2121

Banned
That's...not correct at all. Push notifications are part of the system, launchers have nothing to do with it.

I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

This is at the top of the store for Launcher Pro:

Notice: Due to recent changes in the Gmail app that prevent 3rd party apps from accessing your inbox, the LauncherPro Gmail widget is not working with version 2.3.5+ of the Gmail app. If you have version 2.3.4 or lower, the widget should continue to work fine.

It says widget, but the actual Gmail app also doesn't receive notifications since the Gingerbread update.

kehs

Banned
I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

This is at the top of the store for Launcher Pro:

Notice: Due to recent changes in the Gmail app that prevent 3rd party apps from accessing your inbox, the LauncherPro Gmail widget is not working with version 2.3.5+ of the Gmail app. If you have version 2.3.4 or lower, the widget should continue to work fine.

It says widget, but the actual Gmail app also doesn't receive notifications since the Gingerbread update.

Ah ok.

Push notifications are the ones that show up in the notification tray. Those are not going to be affected by third party launchers at all. It's straight from Gmail to your notification tray.

Some third party launcher have their own widgets (like LP / ADW / etc). Those act as middle men between gmail and you. So they fetch the email so they can display it to you inside of a special launcher widget.

Launcherpro hasn't been updated in about a year I think, so his info is out of date. There are other launchers that can still access your email through their widgets. Those developers kept their apps up to date.

Your Gmail and it's direct notifications are all independent of your launcher.

Dunno if this is the exact place to ask this...but for the Google Music App on Android (running Jelly Bean 4.1.1), is anybody's shuffle function like all screwed up? Like it won't actually shuffle until you unshuffle and shuffle again a couple of times. It's pretty darn annoying.
I have this problem on ICS and the web app. It sucks so much, I hope they fix it soon.

kehs

Banned
I have this problem on ICS and the web app. It sucks so much, I hope they fix it soon.

Dunno if this is the exact place to ask this...but for the Google Music App on Android (running Jelly Bean 4.1.1), is anybody's shuffle function like all screwed up? Like it won't actually shuffle until you unshuffle and shuffle again a couple of times. It's pretty darn annoying.

Yup. It's damn annoying. I've pressed that button ten times and it still won't work.

I actually like the new way it shuffles. It's a true shuffle instead of a random play like before.

What happens is that you have a "live" list of music palying currently. The queue.

When you press shuffle it will reorder everything in the list and play straight down the list.

If you choose to play another album it will add the album to the queue at the end but keep playing wherever the last song played in the queue.

If you wanted to only shuffle one album, just make sure you clear the queue before picking the album and then pressing shuffle.

If you turn shuffle off, it won't do anything because the queue is already shuffled. If you press it again, it will re-shuffle the queue.

The random functionality before would always get caught in a cycle of like 20 songs for me, super shitty since I tend to just hit "shuffle all" on my music.

They also backtracked on not releasing JB for 2011 devices saying that the Facebook community manager spoke out of turn and no decision has been made about JB for 2011 devices. That matches up with what I have heard, no decision has has been made yet for 2011 phones, the tablets are probably going to get it and the late 2011 devices will probably get it too, while the early devices may not have the power to handle the 60fps that JB brings. However, the final decision has yet to be made and they could still port JB to all 2011 devices (except the Play, of course).

Good news overal. On the tablet I have heard privately that the Tablet S was quite successful and was overall the 4th best selling Android tablet of the past year, despite the low-key launch and minimal advertising. They expect the new tablet to perform similarly or better.

kehs

Banned
Holy shit, free Nexus Qs for anyone who preordered.

Google just alerted customers who pre-ordered its Nexus Q media streaming device that it will not ship in mid-July as planned.
However, it is rewarding all those who have already put in their orders for the $299 device by sending out free Nexus Qs.
Google said in an email sent to those who pre-ordered that it “heard initial feedback from users that they want Nexus Q to do even more than it does today. In response, we have decided to postpone the consumer launch of Nexus Q while we work on making it even better.”
It added, “To thank you for your early interest, we’d like to extend the Nexus Q preview to our pre-order customers and send you a free device.”

http://allthingsd.com/20120731/goog...-devices-to-anyone-who-pre-ordered/?mod=tweet

F#A#Oo

Banned
What's the latest rumours on the new Google Nexus phone?

My contract is running out in December...and will be due an upgrade!

tino

Banned
LOL The Verge know what's up.

nexus-q-doorstop_1020_large_extra_large.jpg

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I loved LauncherPro. On my EVO I had 9 different launchers and it was the best :(

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
zomg! after 4 hours of downloading, ICS for the Evo 3D is done

but htc won't let me install it because the battery is less than 35%

>_>

gcubed

This is good news. Makes this your Google TV, Google. Bundle it with a six months sub for OnLive and I will bite!!!

i would assume its going to be some kind of hardware rework since they are giving out dev units for free but still fulfilling orders when its complete. It leads me to believe the new box is going to be different... i'd love for it to turn into a GoogleTV device. There is no reason for that box to be what it is, and JUST what it is. The capabilities of that box should be able to be in any GoogleTV box out there and was just a peculiar thing to do.

I mean, sure, make it pretty, make it made in the USA and charge for it, but it needs to be functional.

kehs

Banned
i would assume its going to be some kind of hardware rework since they are giving out dev units for free but still fulfilling orders when its complete. It leads me to believe the new box is going to be different... i'd love for it to turn into a GoogleTV device. There is no reason for that box to be what it is, and JUST what it is. The capabilities of that box should be able to be in any GoogleTV box out there and was just a peculiar thing to do.

I mean, sure, make it pretty, make it made in the USA and charge for it, but it needs to be functional.
They'd have to rework the hardware for it to be Google TV based, theres no HDMI input or the queue, nor any ir blaster or remote control setup.

On the plus side, the remote control functionality from the Q is apparently making its way to the YouTube apps.

GatorBait

I noticed in Jelly Bean that some apps have a new "share via" menu box (YouTube being one specific example). Does anybody think this means that the drop-down style share menu pictured below is being phased out? It is aesthetically annoying how this menu keeps the icon of the most recent app you shared with. Ruins the smooth, monochrome look of the icons in the action bar with an obnoxious colored icon. I'd love to see it reworked.

actionbar-shareaction.png

kehs

Banned
I noticed in Jelly Bean that some apps have a new "share via" menu box (YouTube being one specific example). Does anybody think this means that the drop-down style share menu pictured below is being phased out? It is aesthetically annoying how this menu keeps the icon of the most recent app you shared with. Ruins the smooth, monochrome look of the icons in the action bar with an obnoxious colored icon. I'd love to see it reworked.

actionbar-shareaction.png
Its not actually the most recely used, its the most frequently used. Makes it a lot better, functionally speaking.

It was introduced in ICS as an api, and its up to the developer to use it or not.

gcubed

They'd have to rework the hardware for it to be Google TV based, theres no HDMI input or the queue, nor any ir blaster or remote control setup.

On the plus side, the remote control functionality from the Q is apparently making its way to the YouTube apps.

giving away dev unit hardware while you delay the launch of the product an unknown amount of time pretty clearly screams hardware rework

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom