• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have impressions on the Galaxy Nexus for Sprint? I might consider getting one. I know the updates will be slower, but other than that anything good/bad?

tino

Banned
giving away dev unit hardware while you delay the launch of the product an unknown amount of time pretty clearly screams hardware rework

They probably saw Ouya and realize how stupid their TV strategy was and promptly cancelled the bowling ball.

DXPett1

I noticed in Jelly Bean that some apps have a new "share via" menu box (YouTube being one specific example). Does anybody think this means that the drop-down style share menu pictured below is being phased out? It is aesthetically annoying how this menu keeps the icon of the most recent app you shared with. Ruins the smooth, monochrome look of the icons in the action bar with an obnoxious colored icon. I'd love to see it reworked.

actionbar-shareaction.png

I prefer the drop down box but it seems Google are moving away from 1 click ANYTHING in favour of "prettier" options

JCX

Just updated my evo 3D to ICS, but whenever I try to open my text messages, it just has a loading circle for long time. Any ideas?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So Android-GAF if you could think of your top 5 things you'd like to see Key Lime what would you put down? Anything in particular that you think would be a must have feature for Key?

Threi

notag
So Android-GAF if you could think of your top 5 things you'd like to see Key Lime what would you put down? Anything in particular that you think would be a must have feature for Key?
non-blue notification bar icons/text

irritates the hell out of me.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

1. Option to allow apps to run in the background (basically leave youtube videos running even when the screen is off)

2. Action to go to the top of a list

3. Quick Controls in Chrome

4. Quick phone toggles in notification window

5. Can't really think of anything else so I'll just say I'd like to see Google do their own Airdroid-esque interface.

kehs

Banned
non-blue notification bar icons/text

irritates the hell out of me.

You must not have an oled-based device.

I love the blue hue.

Most of this won't really affect me, but I think the OS needs it.

Multi-user access. Sony seems to have jumped on it for their next device, but I think it would be an amazing differentiatior for tablets, as well as things like Google TV(shudup).

A more robust HAL. Intel has done alot or work to get arm based code to work on x86 code, but this will be a great boon to less "fragmentation" and allow more cross architecture use.

Quick Controls at an OS level. I'm already doing it through hacking, but I would love to see a proper implementation similar to webOS that would get rid of the recent apps and soft keys. There's something very visceral about swiping in controls.

NACL and WebM support either in the regular browser or the OS level as a passthrough.

Can I get some god damn cloud backup for my data/apps from third party into my gdrive? Preferable something that gets distributed along third party apps so that it functions like google apps. Pretty sure this is on the way though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Its not actually the most recely used, its the most frequently used. Makes it a lot better, functionally speaking.

It was introduced in ICS as an api, and its up to the developer to use it or not.

Agreed. Really expedites my uploading of screenshots right to Picasa. Would not like them to change it.

Did a factory reset on my Droid X2 right now. Noticed some strange differences when I was using it just now. When I press the screen lock button, it down this "turned off" effect like TVs do when they are turned off image zooms into the center horizontally, if anyone knows what I mean. It didnt do this before. Also, not sure if its me but I swear I notice a "pop" up whenever I open up an App or anything, which I never had before. I had done a phone update before and it always said it was up to date which I found to be weird now that I see so many differences. I dont know what happened, but am I imagining these differences? If not, what happened?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Did a factory reset on my Droid X2 right now. Noticed some strange differences when I was using it just now. When I press the screen lock button, it down this "turned off" effect like TVs do when they are turned off image zooms into the center horizontally, if anyone knows what I mean. It didnt do this before. Also, not sure if its me but I swear I notice a "pop" up whenever I open up an App or anything, which I never had before. I had done a phone update before and it always said it was up to date which I found to be weird now that I see so many differences. I dont know what happened, but am I imagining these differences? If not, what happened?
My Xperia does the old TV style effect, I just assumed it was an Android thing!

Motorola used to disable the CRT off effect when Gingerbread first shipped. My old Droid X's official GB Blur didn't have it, I never saw it until I installed CM7 on it.

My Nexus of course has the CRT off effect.

tino

Banned
1. Option to allow apps to run in the background (basically leave youtube videos running even when the screen is off)
Just FYI stickit let you do that.

2. Action to go to the top of a list

3. Quick Controls in Chrome

4. Quick phone toggles in notification window

5. Can't really think of anything else so I'll just say I'd like to see Google do their own Airdroid-esque interface.

If they don't have ICS Browser/ICS Browser+ on Jelly bean I don't even want to upgrade to JB. It's broken as far as I am concerned.

I want to be able to delete email from notification screen. Thats a no braner.

Angst

Just FYI stickit let you do that.

If they don't have ICS Browser/ICS Browser+ on Jelly bean I don't even want to upgrade to JB. It's broken as far as I am concerned.

I want to be able to delete email from notification screen. Thats a no braner.

ICS Browser+ is on the Play Store, just download it? I'm on CM10 and the old stock browser is still there. I only use Chrome though as I use the syncing with my work and home PC a lot.

gcubed

so some good developer agreements were sent done by Google for the Play store which will take affect today and all apps violating will be removed in 30 days. The 2 good ones -

- no look alikes or sound alikes to system apps (no similar names or icons)
- No intrusive ads (all programs with ad's pushing to the notification bar will be removed from the market)

Phatcorns

Does anyone have experience buying a used cell phone off of ebay or craigslist?

I would really like to get a decent Android phone for T-Mobile, but I'm really scared of a bad IMEI number or the person I buy from skipping out on his contract and the IMEI going bad.

Kwhit10

Hey guys, question on the Handcent app.

I have let my text threads go really long and haven't cleaned it out in a long time. smaller threads of about <100 texts take about 2 minutes to complete. It just took the phone 5 minutes to delete a 700 text thread. And when I try to delete a 7000+ text thread I get the message that Handcent is unresponsive, and asks me to wait or force close. If I keep waiting it might take hours to delete it.

Does anyone know if I can access the threads and delete them like say going through Astro file manager or something? I tried finding them but to no avail.

tino

Banned

I would really like to get a decent Android phone for T-Mobile, but I'm really scared of a bad IMEI number or the person I buy from skipping out on his contract and the IMEI going bad.

If you are scared, buy it from Best Buy Private Auction. Its more expensive but you have return policy.

gcubed

can that happen on tmobile? Its all sim based, so i would assume they block the SIM since the phone wouldn't work without the SIM

kehs

Banned

Its really rare for a gsm phone to have a bad imei number. If its through craigslist just test it on the spot with your sim card.

Phatcorns

Its really rare for a gsm phone to have a bad imei number. If its through craigslist just test it on the spot with your sim card.

Ah, I was under the impression that they could always block the IMEI at a future date if the account holder who had the phone originally defaults on their payments or reports it stolen.

But I mean, if in general people don't have any problems buying off of ebay then I'll just go that route.

snacknuts

we all knew her

I've gotten a couple of phones from Craigslist without any problems. I don't know how T-Mobile does it, but for Verizon phones I ask for the IMEI ahead of time and call VZW to make sure it's clean.

I noticed in Jelly Bean that some apps have a new "share via" menu box (YouTube being one specific example). Does anybody think this means that the drop-down style share menu pictured below is being phased out? It is aesthetically annoying how this menu keeps the icon of the most recent app you shared with. Ruins the smooth, monochrome look of the icons in the action bar with an obnoxious colored icon. I'd love to see it reworked.

actionbar-shareaction.png

I'm on ICS and I have that box.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Agh, my Droid X is now having battery issues. Monday it lasted all day with some use and was at like 30% by bedtime. Yesterday I didn't use it at all and it was at 30% by the end of work.

Here's the stats:
Phone Idle: 44%
Cell Standby: 34%
Display: 10%
Android OS: 5%

The rest are below 2%.

Should Idle and standby be this high?

Pctx

Banned
so some good developer agreements were sent done by Google for the Play store which will take affect today and all apps violating will be removed in 30 days. The 2 good ones -

- no look alikes or sound alikes to system apps (no similar names or icons)
- No intrusive ads (all programs with ad's pushing to the notification bar will be removed from the market)

This is a win-win-win for everyone. Glad they finally are taking some control.

Threi

notag
You must not have an oled-based device.

I love the blue hue.

I do, i hate it.

System icons and notifications should be colour neutral. Holo is a great UI design but that is the only thing that kills it. Its almost like windows XP; If you don't like blue or want to have a wallpaper that's not blue...too bad.

KoukiFC

Neo Member
Ah, I was under the impression that they could always block the IMEI at a future date if the account holder who had the phone originally defaults on their payments or reports it stolen.

But I mean, if in general people don't have any problems buying off of ebay then I'll just go that route.

Indeed they can. It's for phones bought with value plans, where the customer makes 20 additional payments in addition to the phone downpayment.

If the customer defaults on the payments, T-Mobile blocks the phone from accessing their network, even if another customer is using it.

I would recommend the Nexus from the Play Store. What's your budget?

Sources:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...-says-IMEI-is-blocked?p=14671678#post14671678

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1664995

http://support.t-mobile.com/thread/15348?start=0&tstart=0

kehs

Banned
I do, i hate it.

System icons and notifications should be colour neutral. Holo is a great UI design but that is the only thing that kills it. Its almost like windows XP; If you don't like blue or want to have a wallpaper that's not blue...too bad.

I like the feedback they give. Blue connected / grey not, so it's not totally superfluous.

tino

Banned
I do, i hate it.

Just wait for MIUI support on your phone. I feel Android icons and notification design have taken a step back after 3.0/4.0.

You can easily find 10 MIUI themes that can destroy the ICS UI.

gcubed

ran out of minutes the last day of my billing cycle because ive been working from home a lot lately... grooveip is a life saver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom