• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Is there an app that can do back ups and restoring like Titanium, but without rooting?

I mostly want to restore app settings, not the app (I would do a clean install).

I will probably get a new phone in the next few days, but I won't be rooting it immediately (because of the warranty).

You should root while you first get your device. If you take a OTA update, it may limit your chances to root easily later. Like the Evo3D was rooted right after it was released but like you, I didn't root because I was afraid of the warranty thing.

After a OTA update, it took months to find a way to unlock the bootloader. That method includes you bricking your phone on purpose by shorting the wires. Any active community will always have a way to unroot in case you need to send your phone in.

but to answer your question...devices have an option to save all of your data (app data, wifi, passwords) to google servers in the back up and reset option. I think it works.

Why the hell can't you multitask with local? Every time I hit home and and go back it resets.
Do you have the kill apps when you close it option on? Apps are suppose to stay active in the background for a certain time limit.

Nope it just doesn't stay in memory it seems. Also when i hit the recent apps button the thumbnail is blank.

HMjWN.png

Ashhong

Is there an app that can do back ups and restoring like Titanium, but without rooting?

I mostly want to restore app settings, not the app (I would do a clean install).

I will probably get a new phone in the next few days, but I won't be rooting it immediately (because of the warranty).

What kind of app settings? Don't most app settings like for games or things you downloaded get stored on your SD/internal memory? You should be able to access your phone via USB and just copy the files no?

Any idea how to reduce the amount of homescreens in jellybean? I'm running cm10 but I can't seem to find the menu option

Hmm not sure in stock CM10 but you could always install Apex or Nova and do it that way

kehs

Banned
This looks pretty great. Will it really be pretty great Coco?

My personal sense of great has turned out to be just ok for everyone else. I've learned this while being on gaf. -_-

I already have an older Google TV and I love it, even though it can have quirks at times (lol android).

You can read my google tv fellatioing here.

Because I am a super dork, here is the Manual for the Costar. http://store.vizio.com/documents/downloads/streaming/VAP430/UM_VAP430.pdf

--

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but it looks like ISIS/Carriers/Google/CC companies are all on board to unify mobile payments.

The mobile payments industry is still very much like the Wild West — there’s little law and order, and plenty of gunslingers itching to strike gold. But a new committee today could finally civilize the mobile payments wild lands.

The trade group Electronic Transactions Association today announced the Mobile Payments Committee, a task force that includes representatives from all four of the major U.S. carriers, as well as others developing mobile payments solutions.

AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile are all joining the ETA to take part in the committee, which should hopefully put an end to carrier exclusive payments offerings (like Sprint’s Google Wallet arrangement). Other companies in the Mobile Payments Committee include Google, Isis (itself a union between several carriers), PayPal, Verifone, and Intuit.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/08/09/t...-the-future-of-payments/#.UCP5h7E2SnM.twitter

JCX

Which twitter app do you all use on tablets? Tweetcaster stopped working for me,so I'm looking for a new option.

JordanKZ

Which twitter app do you all use on tablets? Tweetcaster stopped working for me,so I'm looking for a new option.

Although it's not available yet, tweet lanes tablet update is on the developers "to do" list and considering we're getting one major feature a week, I doubt he'll be all that long with it.

EDIT: Already has Nexus 7 support btw.

Sagitario

You should root while you first get your device. If you take a OTA update, it may limit your chances to root easily later. Like the Evo3D was rooted right after it was released but like you, I didn't root because I was afraid of the warranty thing.

After a OTA update, it took months to find a way to unlock the bootloader. That method includes you bricking your phone on purpose by shorting the wires. Any active community will always have a way to unroot in case you need to send your phone in.

but to answer your question...devices have an option to save all of your data (app data, wifi, passwords) to google servers in the back up and reset option. I think it works.

OTA?
I will play with the phone a coupe of weeks, just to make sure it's all good. Then I will root (it's an international SIII, upgrading from a SII)

What kind of app settings? Don't most app settings like for games or things you downloaded get stored on your SD/internal memory? You should be able to access your phone via USB and just copy the files no?

Things like keyboard/Swype settings, Opera Mobile bookmarks, history and passwords, save files from games, apps settings from My Data Manager and Onavo, etc.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
OTA?
I will play with the phone a coupe of weeks, just to make sure it's all good. Then I will root (it's an international SIII, upgrading from a SII)

Over the air update. Usually pushed by a carrier in the US. Since you have a international gs3, it'll be pushed out by Samsung.

zatara

i'm sure this has been posted before, but it nags the balls out of me when I buy a phone that has an awesome weather widget with a clock, but it won't let me disable the clock in the upper right. Case in point I just got a GS3 and I dig the weather widget it comes with but I really don't need two clocks on my friggin screen. I dig that Samsung lets me display my battery percentage, but why can't they let me disable the clock?

tino

Banned
i'm sure this has been posted before, but it nags the balls out of me when I buy a phone that has an awesome weather widget with a clock, but it won't let me disable the clock in the upper right. Case in point I just got a GS3 and I dig the weather widget it comes with but I really don't need two clocks on my friggin screen. I dig that Samsung lets me display my battery percentage, but why can't they let me disable the clock?

You pretty much have to flash custom rom to make any change on the top bar.

Only rom that let you change notification icons easily is MIUI.

Massa

How good is Cyanogenmod's QA?

In other words, if there's a stable release for my phone marked as supported, can I pretty much expect everything (camera with HD recording, etc) to work?

Ashhong

How good is Cyanogenmod's QA?

In other words, if there's a stable release for my phone marked as supported, can I pretty much expect everything (camera with HD recording, etc) to work?

Stable means yes, everything hardware wise is supported. Most of the time these things are working in the nightlies as well.

buhdeh

How do you keep music playing in background? I'm trying to use the html5 Grooveshark site but hitting the home button causes it to stop using chrome on a Samsung galaxy s3. Works fine on iPad and iPhone.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Did I mention a year later HTC/AT&T finally pushed out a random as fuck Inspire 4g update to fix the shit they broke with Gingerbread. Took them like forever and a day to fucking fix that damn contacts bug.

Nice that it's fixed, and random as fuck that they dropped an update so late and so out of the blue.

19Kilo

So I guess Vizio started charging cards already for the CoStar.

I don't see a charge on mine or a dollar hold on my card yet. Pretty sure I literally ordered as they put up the pre order page. -_-

It does say processing on vizios site though.

https://plus.google.com/114765239654100843860/posts/QEjhJPPfh5B

Yeah mine was charged last week and then they reversed it. It doesn't show on my bank account at all anymore. Apparently they were just checking again since its been a few weeks and they are supposed to redo the charge tomorrow when it ships. Looking forward to getting hands on it.

Patriots7

My GNexus has now stopped syncing with the Play Store. I get an error every time I try to download or update an app. Have already attempted clearing the cache and rebooting.

Any thoughts?

Question about apps: I have EasyTether on my Samsung Epic (Sprint) which when I last checked, was no longer downloadable/upgradeable (blocked by Sprint).

Would I be able to transfer it from my current phone to a new phone?

Kyoufu

Does anyone have a recommendation for a call blocker app? I don't want notifications or for it to send the blocked caller to voicemail. I just want them blocked completely.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm sure you could have installed CyanogenMod for Inspire 4G a long ago now and solved that issue yourself. You would probably be on ICS too.

It's more than that though. It has some driver fixes and stuff for like the radio. Should really help flesh out some of the custom ROMs for this older yet popular device.

tino

Banned
Does anyone have a recommendation for a call blocker app? I don't want notifications or for it to send the blocked caller to voicemail. I just want them blocked completely.

CM has that feature. Or you can make a "spam" contact and assign silent ringtone to it. I actually prefer it this way becuase it carry over to new Android devices.

sangreal

you don't need root to install apps that are not on the market, so yes, you can easily transfer it from one phone to another

(whether you need root to actually use that app I have no idea)

thespot84

you don't need root to install apps that are not on the market, so yes, you can easily transfer it from one phone to another

(whether you need root to actually use that app I have no idea)

If they're not rooted, how do you envision that they can extract the APK from the phone?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Use Google Voice when handing out your number. Well, if you're in the US. Sucks for me being in Germany now. I can't get away with that anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom