• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sagitario

What's a good and free locking app that isn't resources or battery hungry?

That and the notification bar customization is what I miss the most from MIUI.
Can't believe you can't edit those shortcuts :\

Massa

Thanks to all the people that responded here I went ahead and installed CM9 on my Xperia. Works absolutely fine so far, thanks all!

Sagitario

Manik

Having a bit of an issue with wifi tethering on my GalaxyS2 and hoping someone here can help out. I'm lost without being able to tether my iPad :(

It has been working absolutely fine for the past 2 weeks but I woke up yesterday and tries to use it but, no matter what I try, I can't get it to show up as a wifi connection on my iPad or Kindle. The phone *says* that it's broadcasting a wifi hotspot, but nothing shows up (and the couple of times it has come up it has said unable to connect).

I've tried factory resetting my phone, tried installing a new rom,a new modem firmware, but nothing works.

I'm on CM9, on Orange in the UK and using a Galaxy S2.

Any ideas?

Angst

Having a bit of an issue with wifi tethering on my GalaxyS2 and hoping someone here can help out. I'm lost without being able to tether my iPad :(

It has been working absolutely fine for the past 2 weeks but I woke up yesterday and tries to use it but, no matter what I try, I can't get it to show up as a wifi connection on my iPad or Kindle. The phone *says* that it's broadcasting a wifi hotspot, but nothing shows up (and the couple of times it has come up it has said unable to connect).

I've tried factory resetting my phone, tried installing a new rom,a new modem firmware, but nothing works.

Any ideas?

Haven't noticed this, but people say that bluetooth tethering is more battery efficient - try that and see if it works.

Any ideas?

Have you tried deleting it from your iPad and then trying again? It might be trying to use a configuration which the phone isn't broadcasting anymore.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
big.jpg

The official announcement of the Samsung N7100 Galaxy Note II is just a couple of weeks away now, but only now we see what the new phoneblet might actually look like. We just got an alleged photo of the upcoming device, which reveals its front panel.
Now we wouldn't bet the house on this turning out to be an official image as even our tipster wasn't able to confirm its origin. Still, the image aligns nicely with previous rumors that suggested that the Samsung N7100 Galaxy Note II will have a Galaxy S III-inspired design, so even if the image is fan-made, it shouldn't be too far from the truth.
Along with the link to the alleged Samsung Galaxy Note II photo, our tipster also sent us some of the specs of the phoneblet. As expected, the 1280 x 800 pixel Super AMOLED screen will measure 5.5" and will utilize a regular RGB matrix. As for those FullHD screen rumors - according to the tip, it did indeed undergo testing, but it was found to be putting too much strain on the battery to make it to the final device.
The chipset inside was once again tipped to be Exynos 4 Quad, with quad-core CPU clocked at 1.5GHz. while the camera will use the same 8MP sensor as the Galaxy S III.

The Jelly Bean update for the Galaxy Note II is still being developed, so it's likely that the hybrid droid will launch with Android 4.0 ICS. There is an outside chance that Jelly Bean will be ready in time for the announcement, but it's more likely to come out later on.
Finally, some good news for the Galaxy S III users out there. The Jelly Bean update for the flagship smartphone is almost ready and will be released alongside the Galaxy Note II at the Samsung press conference on August 29.

http://www.gsmarena.com/alleged_samsung_n7100_galaxy_note_ii_official_photo_surfaces-news-4647.php

Flash

is there any way to have a different lock screen wallpaper? I have widget unlock but I'd prefer keeping the standard ICS lock screen (I like how the clock looks and I like how it shows the time for the upcoming alarm).

Manik

Have you tried deleting it from your iPad and then trying again? It might be trying to use a configuration which the phone isn't broadcasting anymore.

I've chosen the option to reset all network settings on the iPad - I presume that's similar to your suggestion. Or do I have to specifically tell the iPad to 'forget' the connection? Sort of new to iPad stuff, so sorry if that's a dumb question!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
There any reason why the past few days my maps app has been the top battery user at 43%? My phone has been dying quicker and I keep finding maps at the top until I force close it...

gcubed

So the Note II rises to the occasion to become best Galaxy again!

I think that the more important piece of information in this article is that an international carrier branded device has the possibility of getting an updated to the newest OS faster then than a faux-Nexus device on Verizon.

I shall defecate in a box and ship it to Verizon HQ

Just found out about Maxathon browser that lets you play flash stuff in the background. This is a GODSEND. It keeps playing if you switch tabs and even if you switch apps.

Can believe i missed on this for this long.

kagete

is there any way to have a different lock screen wallpaper? I have widget unlock but I'd prefer keeping the standard ICS lock screen (I like how the clock looks and I like how it shows the time for the upcoming alarm).

I would love to know the answer to this as well.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
That Note picture looks like yet another crappy fake render. Not that I doubt it'll probably look similar, but yeah looks super fake.

tino

Banned
Just found out about Maxathon browser that lets you play flash stuff in the background. This is a GODSEND. It keeps playing if you switch tabs and even if you switch apps.

Can believe i missed on this for this long.

This browser also burns battery like mad on the simplest web pages. I really like the ergonimic though.

are you rooted?

I am not rooted.

Dropbox it over and see if it'll run. You can fill the rest in on your own on what to do.

Think so?

MyAppSharer can transfer the apk of apps installed in a device and upload it via gmail, dropbox, bluetooth, and drive.

Will give a try if needed!

no need. he can download it from their website and register it with his old google invoice number.

http://www.mobile-stream.com/easytether/android_faq.html#redownload

Thanks! Will try this when I get my new phone.

GatorBait

Interesting, but yet, not a very informative review overall. Sadly, the only two topics touched on with any semblance of depth were Project Butter and Google Now. Honestly, I was hoping for a more substantively critical review rather than a shallow overview of the stereotyped design philosophies driving iOS and Android, which is now a dated, and largely untrue, comparison.

Also, anyone have any idea what he means by this:
Why, in the name of Sergey Brin's cyborg face, does Android not give you a screen alert when you receive a text?

I'm confused. Every Android phone I've used alerts you of a text right in the notification tray.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Interesting, but yet, not a very informative review overall. Sadly, the only two topics touched on with any semblance of depth were Project Butter and Google Now. Honestly, I was hoping for a more substantively critical review rather than a shallow overview of the stereotyped design philosophies driving iOS and Android, which is now a dated, and largely untrue, comparison.

I'm confused. Every Android phone I've used alerts you of a text right in the notification tray.

Does he mean an instant text popup? That's something that default Android does not do that SMS apps can add. I don't know if the iPhone does.

Massa

So I went from Sony's ICS to CM9 and though it was a little better it wasn't as much of an improvement as I had hoped.

Now I found something called Polish Blood Project, which ships Jelly Bean and tries to stay as close as possible to Google's original open source code (AOSP). They even ship the good old Music app I was looking for a few days ago. No custom apps, launchers or any other nonsense like that...

Anyway, this is amazing! It's exactly what I wanted out of an Android distribution (stock Google Android), and it feels significantly faster than both CM9 and stock ICS.

Tess3ract

Banned
That guy is fucking retarded hahaha.

the expertise needed to use it. It's been a first versus third world divide.

What?

the absolutely flawless touchscreen fluidity of an iPhone.

what?

At very, very few points did my Galaxy Nexus perk up of its own volition and tell me to avoid traffic. At no point did it show me the menu of a restaurant I searched for.

What the fuck magic land is this guy living in? Half the restauraunts I go to don't have online menus and no one has info on road delays unless it's a pretty bad accident, even then info like that is hard to find out and collect in a simple "where should I avoid driving today?" or whatever.

reKon

Banned

Maybe he means to say: "Why don't I get a pop up like I'm use to on the iPhone?"

GatorBait

Does he mean an instant text popup? That's something that default Android does not do that SMS apps can add. I don't know if the iPhone does.

Maybe he means to say: "Why don't I get a pop up like I'm use to on the iPhone?"

Yep, now that I think of it, I believe you guys are correct. I don't know why you would list that as a negative though...most iPhone users I know were happy when the iPhone notification shade allowed them turn off the obtrusive pop-up alerts.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Some people love popups. Particularly if they are having a conversation via texts. It pops up and you can reply instantly right there, or let it fade away. I used it with Go SMS all the time. Its a nice option, though not essential.

Gigglepoo

I have an HTC Evo Shift and recently bought a 32 GB SanDisk SD card. The phone and extra storage work fine most of the time, but I get periodic warnings that it can't recognize my SD card. When this happens, I just tap the warning, the phone does some tinkering, and everything works fine again.

Is this a common problem? Is there anything I need to do to make sure my SD card always registers?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
ecransamsunggalaxynote2.jpg

Here's an image purporting to be of the Galaxy Note 2's bezel, and if it's a fake, it's a very good one. Taken by a (sharper-than-usual) blurrycam snapper wearing factory-style dust booties, the hardware suggests a chunky, squared-off design for the second-generation phablet that rejects the Galaxy S III's more curvaceous body. The ruler draped from corner-to-corner jibes with earlier rumors that it would have a slightly expanded 5.5-inch canvas for your S-Pen fun. We just have one question: does that photo make it look curved along the horizontal axis, or is the loose component just bendy?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/15/potential-galaxy-note-2-bezel-blurrycam/

popeutlal

So based on the recent reviews, the Samsung Note 10.1 is almost a turd of a device. Previous turds that I was excited about were Asus Transformer Prime, Acer 700 and Transformer Infinity....all were mega turds.

Now to upcoming tablets, Sony Xperia tab is supposed to come next month and Archos Gen 10, announcement later this month. If these two turn out to be turds...well then Androids tablets have been given enough chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom