• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, what are everyone's final guesses on the following:

1. Will they only announce the Verizon version tomorrow?
2. Will the word "exclusive" (in reference to carrier availability) be mentioned at all?
3. GSM version available at the same time as the CDMA one?
4. Non-LTE version uses a different SoC?

BigFwoosh

Vyse The Legend said:

2. Will the word "exclusive" (in reference to carrier availability) be mentioned at all?
1. I'm guessing yes since Verizon passed on the GS2 for some exclusivity.
2. Probably.
3. Nope, for same reason as #1.
4. I would hope they wouldn't do that... I'm betting OMAP 4460 all the way.

kehs

Banned
Have we seen the FCC fillings for the Verizon version? I'm guessing tomorrow they go "Nexus Prime" available today, and Galaxy Nexus available 11-10.

rozay

Banned
Does anyone else think the timing is kinda weird for Verizon to announce Motorola's new phone and Google to announce Samsung's new phone (for verizon) on the same day?

Makes me wonder if the galaxy nexus won't be offered at verizon stores/will get no advertising from them.

Also I'm almost certain that there will be separate GSM and CDMA versions, both announced tomorrow.

Al-ibn Kermit

Vyse The Legend said:

1. It'll probably be a timed exclusive (I doubt they'll wait until after the holiday season before releasing the GSM versions).

2. Timed exclusive..

3. No, it doesn't seem like AT&T/T-Mobile will get it at the same time but I doubt it'll be more than a one month delay.

4. I doubt it, it wouldn't make sense to have different chips. I wonder if it's possible that they'll put a CDMA/GSM/HSPA+/LTE radio in all of versions of the phone just to streamline production?

Copernicus said:
Have we seen the FCC fillings for the Verizon version? I'm guessing tomorrow they go "Nexus Prime" available today, and Galaxy Nexus available 11-10.

Damn you for getting my hopes up.

A GSM version has already gone through the FCC. I wouldn't worry too much.

On the other hand, we've seen the Verizon version pop up in Best Buy and Radioshack (?) Cellebrite systems -- yet there's been absolutely no sign of the GSM version anywhere.

kehs

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:

On the other hand, we've seen the Verizon version pop up in Best Buy and Radioshack (?) Cellebrite systems -- yet there's been absolutely no sign of the GSM version anywhere.

It's the reason CDMA phones get leaked all the time, they have to do so much work behind the scenes with actual hardware on the network. GSM phones don't have to deal with any of that. They can unload the trucks tomorrow and start selling over the counter.

rozay

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:

We've only seen the Verizon version in systems, but we've seen the GSM version in a video and an FCC filing.

Akkad

Banned
BigFwoosh said:
A GSM version has already gone through the FCC. I wouldn't worry too much.

Yeah, but is it coming out at the same time to a GSM carrier? I am not paying $600 for a phone.

kehs

Banned
Akkad said:
Yeah, but is it coming out at the same time to a GSM carrier? I am not paying $600 for a phone.

I have 0 basis for the following statement: I'm 100% sure it's being sold exclusively at Best Buy with a standard shitty subsidizing from ATT and Best Buy with an upfront cost of $199 or $250. (Think $70 monthly 2 year contract)

I'm literally making shit up.

rozay

Banned
Copernicus said:
I have 0 basis for the following statement: I'm 100% sure it's being sold exclusively at Best Buy with a standard shitty subsidizing from ATT and Best Buy with an upfront cost of $199 or $250. (Think $70 monthly 2 year contract)

I'm literally making shit up.
I forgot that Best Buy offered an at&t version on contract. Did they do the same for the T-Mobile nexus S?

kehs

Banned
rozay said:
I forgot that Best Buy offered an at&t version on contract. Did they do the same for the T-Mobile nexus S?

Both Nexus S were sold exclusively through Best Buy. I know the both N1s were offered with contracts (ATT & TMO). The TMO NS was as well. I don't think the ATT NS was offered along side a contract.

(this post is not made up)

Pyrokai

So what are we expecting out of ICS to trump iOS? Anything?

You know, if they made a Chrome browser for Android with bookmark syncing, I'd cancel my iPhone order. Not even kidding.

kehs

Banned
Pyrokai said:
So what are we expecting out of ICS to trump iOS? Anything?

You know, if they made a Chrome browser for Android with bookmark syncing, I'd cancel my iPhone order. Not even kidding.

Get that cancel pressing finger ready.

You can actually already do that with an extra app btw.

rozay

Banned
Copernicus said:
Both Nexus S were sold exclusively through Best Buy. I know the both N1s were offered with contracts (ATT & TMO). The TMO NS was as well. I don't think the ATT NS was offered along side a contract.

(this post is not made up)
The at&t N1 was never available with contract to my understanding, and I just looked up the at&t NS and it seems that Best Buy offered it for $100 with a 2 year contract. Maybe there is hope for this phone.

wario

through google's web store, only t-mobile N1 was available on contract for $179 for two years. at&t was available off-contract for $530.00.

both at&t/t-mobile NS were available on contract through bestbuy. t-mobile's is no longer offered while the at&t model goes for $50 on a 2 year.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I'm gonna guess exclusive to Verizon if you want any sort of discounted on-contract pricing and unlocked GSM version sold at the time through Google for $600. GSM on-contract to come later (a month or two?).

Cipherr

Just.....let it be available from Sprint with a WiMax radio. I want to buy off contract though because 20 months is to long to wait for a new phone. Ill pay in full for every other upgrade.

Pyrokai

Copernicus said:
Get that cancel pressing finger ready.

You can actually already do that with an extra app btw.

Oh snap. Can that be done on iPhone (syncing Chrome desktop bookmarks with iPhone's Safari browser)?

kehs

Banned
Pyrokai said:
Oh snap. Can that be done on iPhone (syncing Chrome desktop bookmarks with iPhone's Safari browser)?

I haven't a clue, possibly ask in the chrome thread or one of the threads in the new apple section of the forum.

That Droid Razr looks like a beautiful piece of design. Really nice stuff Moto. Ok off to bed now. In just over 24 hours it'll finally be prime time. Catch y'all then.

Ferrio

Banned
XMonkey said:
I'm gonna guess exclusive to Verizon if you want any sort of discounted on-contract pricing and unlocked GSM version sold at the time through Google for $600. GSM on-contract to come later (a month or two?).

Siiiiiigh. Google why you make me stick with iphone?

Pyrokai

OriginalThinking said:
That Droid Razr looks like a beautiful piece of design. Really nice stuff Moto. Ok off to bed now. In just over 24 hours it'll finally be prime time. Catch y'all then.

I was just thinking about how ugly it looked, tbh :p

New question: at this event tomorrow, do you think we'll get specs on the phone, too, or will it mainly be about ICS? I'd like to know the battery life of this thing.

wario

Pyrokai said:
I'd like to know the battery life of this thing.

a poster on android central's forum said it had a 1900 mAh battery. that should be sufficient but who knows with these 720p screens.

So any decent rumours on when ICS will actually launch so we can install it on the Nexus S and whatever it is other people are using? I hope we're not looking at november, I'm impatient.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Not quite as there hasn't been a Nexus that had exclusivity on a CDMA carrier. In fact CDMA versions usually got the shaft. Verizon having a proper LTE network is probably what swayed Google.

I can't believe they would only make it exclusive to a locked carrier like Verizon, so that's why I'm going with the unlocked full price option. The Nexus' are still supposed to be developer phones after all.

Pctx

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:

My guess....

1.) Verizon will get "Galaxy Nexus" exclusive until end of Q1 of 2012. (Meaning it will be timed exclusive for the subsidized price... see below)
2.) The Galaxy Nexus will be $299.99 on 2-year agreement, minimum 2GB LTE data plan.
3.) A "world" phone will be offered from Google again (ala Nexus One) that will work on AT&T, T-mobile, Sprint and Verizon for an unlocked price of $649 dollars and be available by the end of this Month or around the same time as the Verizon exclusive phone. AT&T w/ get HSPA+ while T-mobile and Sprint will get regular 3G speeds.
4.) The Galaxy Nexus will run Ice Cream Sandwich.
5.) Verizon exclusive Galaxy Nexus will get the 2nd/3rd generation of Enyxos chipsets clocked at 1.5GHz, while the world phone will get the latest OMAP TI chip clocked at ca. ~ 1.4GHz
6.) The phone will come with 1GB of DDR2/3 memory.
7.) The screen size of 4.65" will carry with it the first Super HD AMOLED+ display outputting 1280x720 w/ a DPI equal or greater to the iPhone 4S.
8.) Battery will be the first 2200mWH on a smartphone giving at least 24 hours of use between charges.
9.) MicroSD slot to hold up to 64GB
10.) Expect 16,32,64GB units
11.) 8+MP rear facing camera w/ 3-5MP+ front facing camera for Google Chat/Skype/etc. Video calling.
12.) Expect one major video game manufacture to announce and pledge their full support for Android and ICS in addition to a game consoles they already develop for.
13.) NeoGAF will have 500 errors due to us Android fanatics.
14.) Pctx may or may not buy a phone direct from Google again, but time will tell.

That's all I got for now.

Pyrokai

Pctx said:
My guess....

1.) Verizon will get "Galaxy Nexus" exclusive until end of Q1 of 2012. (Meaning it will be timed exclusive for the subsidized price... see below)
2.) The Galaxy Nexus will be $299.99 on 2-year agreement, minimum 2GB LTE data plan.
3.) A "world" phone will be offered from Google again (ala Nexus One) that will work on AT&T, T-mobile, Sprint and Verizon for an unlocked price of $649 dollars and be available by the end of this Month or around the same time as the Verizon exclusive phone. AT&T w/ get HSPA+ while T-mobile and Sprint will get regular 3G speeds.
5.) Verizon exclusive Galaxy Nexus will get the 2nd/3rd generation of Enyxos chipsets clocked at 1.5GHz, while the world phone will get the latest OMAP TI chip clocked at ca. ~ 1.4GHz
7.) The screen size of 4.65" will carry with it the first Super HD AMOLED+ display outputting 1280x720 w/ a DPI equal or greater to the iPhone 4S.
8.) Battery will be the first 2200mWH on a smartphone giving at least 24 hours of use between charges.
11.) 8+MP rear facing camera w/ 3-5MP+ front facing camera for Google Chat/Skype/etc. Video calling.
12.) Expect one major video game manufacture to announce and pledge their full support for Android and ICS in addition to a game consoles they already develop for.
14.) Pctx may or may not buy a phone direct from Google again, but time will tell.

motherofgod.gif

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Pctx said:
My guess....

I'd agree with 1-4, and 6.

Don't see the different processors thing happening. I don't think it will be a AMOLED Plus, and even if it were, iPhone 4 screen would still have a higher DPI. But, I don't think it's a big deal once you're hitting around 300 dpi so the Nexus will have the superior screen easily. Can't see that powerful of a battery in this slim of a phone, with that resolution screen, and dual-core. I'd guess closer to 1900-2000 and expect the same kind of battery life as most good Android phones. 8MP camera, yes. 2MP up front, imo.

rozay

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
So any decent rumours on when ICS will actually launch so we can install it on the Nexus S and whatever it is other people are using? I hope we're not looking at november, I'm impatient.
There will be custom roms out immediately provided google isn't a bitch and releases the source for ICS unlike honeycomb. AOSP gingerbread roms were available shortly after the nexus S came out for the N1, the official update came out almost exactly 2 months afterwards.

Pyrokai

XMonkey said:
I'd agree with 1-4, and 5.

I don't think it will be a AMOLED Plus, and even if it were, iPhone 4 screen would still have a higher DPI. But, I don't think it's a big deal once you're hitting around 300 dpi so the Nexus will have the superior screen easily. Can't see that powerful of a battery in this slim of a phone, with that resolution screen, and dual-core. I'd guess closer to 1900-2000 and expect the same kind of battery life as most good Android phones. 8MP camera, yes. 2MP up front, imo.

What exactly are the good Android phones getting for battery under normal use (meaning, you're not stupid with the battery but you're also not being extremely conservative either).

rozay

Banned
Pyrokai said:
What exactly are the good Android phones getting for battery under normal use (meaning, you're not stupid with the battery but you're also not being extremely conservative either).
Most can manage over a day now, sometimes 2.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I'd expect to throw it on the charger every night. With very moderate use, maybe 2 days worth? While I think the new Nexus will have an improved LTE chip, they should still drain the battery more quickly than 3G.

rozay said:
There will be custom roms out immediately provided google isn't a bitch and releases the source for ICS unlike honeycomb. AOSP gingerbread roms were available shortly after the nexus S came out for the N1, the official update came out almost exactly 2 months afterwards.
jesus christ at 2 months.

rozay

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
The AOSP roms were fine for daily use, though the official update brought some newer and better drivers. There will be plenty of people working to satisfy the demand for unofficial ice cream sandwiches for nexus owners.

Pyrokai

XMonkey said:
I'd expect to throw it on the charger every night. With very moderate use, maybe 2 days worth? While I think the new Nexus will have an improved LTE chip, they should still drain the battery more quickly than 3G.

That's pretty good for me. If I can just get through a day, that would be nice. Which reminds me, does Android allow you to turn 4G off so you can flip between 3G and 4G?

kehs

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:

Pretty amazing how fast they can port a major OS update to hardware right?

gcubed said:
No one talking about how the galaxy s2 has a better camera then the iphone 4s?

I think we need an OT for that

LLShC.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom