• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Magic Ovaries said:
Hope it doesn't take too long to for CyanogenMod to put out ICS builds.
You should instead hope it doesn't take Google too long to release the source code.

kehs

Banned
dream said:
That's not important, I have a more pressing problem.

I accidentally removed the app drawer button from my little dock thing. How do I put it back?

lol

e:

Press and hold where it was > edit > Pick activity > Launcher actions > open/close app drawer

dream

Copernicus said:
lol

e:

Press and hold where it was > edit > Pick activity > Launcher actions > open/close app drawer

Yay, thank you.

What a ridiculous process though.

And I think my icon is different now. :(

kehs

Banned
dream said:
Yay, thank you.

What a ridiculous process though.

And I think my icon is different now. :(

Yeah, I'm not a fan of ADW, even though it has a lot of options, the way to get to all those features really sucks.

e: lol, I just loaded up adw after like a year of not using it to see the steps involved for doing that. I basically had 5 screens of just icons, like iOS.

dream

Copernicus said:
Yeah, I'm not a fan of ADW, even though it has a lot of options, the way to get to all those features really sucks.

e: lol, I just loaded up adw after like a year of not using it to see the steps involved for doing that. I basically had 5 screens of just icons, like iOS.

ADW is very bad. Very bad. How do I switch to Launcher Pro?

or, fuck, is there a Honeycombesque skin for this shit? I actually liked Honeycomb a lot.

kehs

Banned
dream said:
ADW is very bad. Very bad. How do I switch to Launcher Pro?

or, fuck, is there a Honeycombesque skin for this shit? I actually liked Honeycomb a lot.

download launcher pro from the market, install, and hit home, you'll get an option to set it as default.

look up honeybread on the market. Install it, then open Theme Chooser and select it from the options. It's a theme for the entire OS that sorta looks like honeycomb.

If you take the time to do it you can modify adw to mimic the 8x6 layout of tablets. I'm still sad that Google didn't do anything different for the honeycomb launcher.

damn you dream, I was trying to not post so much in this thread.

dream

Copernicus said:
download launcher pro from the market, install, and hit home, you'll get an option to set it as default.

look up honeybread on the market. Install it, then open Theme Chooser and select it from the options. It's a theme for the entire OS that sorta looks like honeycomb.

If you take the time to do it you can modify adw to mimic the 8x6 layout of tablets. I'm still sad that Google didn't do anything different for the honeycomb launcher.

damn you dream, I was trying to not post so much in this thread.

Do I have to buy Launcher Pro? Because as I try to become an Android user, I am going to stop buying apps.

kehs

Banned
dream said:
Do I have to buy Launcher Pro? Because as I try to become an Android user, I am going to stop buying apps.

Nicely done.

There's a free version that nags you when you try to add launcher pro widgets. Other than that I think it's fully functional. I've been using WP7 launcher for a pretty long time now, so I'm not sure how all these launchers are to be honest.

p.s. people love adw, I don't like it for entirely unique reasons.

DXPett1

Vic said:

tumblr_lsm3opcvt61qf2ofa.gif

Thank fuck. Starting to lose hope that the Android team had NO FUCKING IDEA what their customers want

kinggroin

Banned
KiKaL said:
This is the worst part for me. I am excited to here about ICS...but I know it's not like it will be available tomorrow for my phone. I have a Droid X and I am assuming I will only be getting ICS through custom roms.

No, actually you and I wont. We have to wait until Motorola updates the kernel to ICS before we see any true ICS roms.

locked bootloader and shit.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
zbeeb said:
yep, by holding the multitasking button. Needs to be switched on in display settings though.

Damn display settings is disabled in lenovo's version of honeycomb for some stupid reason.

dream

On the bright side, I might be getting an Excite to play with next month. Which will be cool because goddamn Gingerbread is janky on a tablet.

Pctx said:
My guess....

1.) Verizon will get "Galaxy Nexus" exclusive until end of Q1 of 2012. (Meaning it will be timed exclusive for the subsidized price... see below)
2.) The Galaxy Nexus will be $299.99 on 2-year agreement, minimum 2GB LTE data plan.
3.) A "world" phone will be offered from Google again (ala Nexus One) that will work on AT&T, T-mobile, Sprint and Verizon for an unlocked price of $649 dollars and be available by the end of this Month or around the same time as the Verizon exclusive phone. AT&T w/ get HSPA+ while T-mobile and Sprint will get regular 3G speeds.
4.) The Galaxy Nexus will run Ice Cream Sandwich.
5.) Verizon exclusive Galaxy Nexus will get the 2nd/3rd generation of Enyxos chipsets clocked at 1.5GHz, while the world phone will get the latest OMAP TI chip clocked at ca. ~ 1.4GHz
6.) The phone will come with 1GB of DDR2/3 memory.
7.) The screen size of 4.65" will carry with it the first Super HD AMOLED+ display outputting 1280x720 w/ a DPI equal or greater to the iPhone 4S.
8.) Battery will be the first 2200mWH on a smartphone giving at least 24 hours of use between charges.
9.) MicroSD slot to hold up to 64GB
10.) Expect 16,32,64GB units
11.) 8+MP rear facing camera w/ 3-5MP+ front facing camera for Google Chat/Skype/etc. Video calling.
12.) Expect one major video game manufacture to announce and pledge their full support for Android and ICS in addition to a game consoles they already develop for.
13.) NeoGAF will have 500 errors due to us Android fanatics.
14.) Pctx may or may not buy a phone direct from Google again, but time will tell.

That's all I got for now.
Some of your "guesses" simply aren't possible/feasible. The latest Equinox chips have only just started sampling a matter of weeks ago, its simply not ready yet. Regardless of time scale, omap 4 is the reference design for ICS, and Google wont launch with multiple reference designs.

The only 720p OLED displays available use a pentile matrix, so don't expect super amoled+ branding.

The micro SD HC standard caps out at 32GB and there's strong indication that Google are ditching the SD slot altogether anyway.

Oozer3993

Divvy said:
Damn display settings is disabled in lenovo's version of honeycomb for some stupid reason.

Honeycomb does not have native screenshot taking, nor does it have a "Display" settings heading. I'm not sure what he's talking about.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
brain_stew said:
The micro SD HC standard caps out at 32GB and there's strong indication that Google are ditching the SD slot altogether anyway.
Blasphemy! Watch your mouth, you!

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
brain_stew said:
The only 720p OLED displays available use a pentile matrix, so don't expect super amoled+ branding.
To be fair, Samsung's 7.7" Tab is 720p (or 1280x800, same thing) and does not use a Pentile display. For small screens, you're right.

zbeeb

Oozer3993 said:
Honeycomb does not have native screenshot taking, nor does it have a "Display" settings heading. I'm not sure what he's talking about.

strange? must be an asus thing only then. In settings -> screen -> tick box that says screenshot and voila! screenshots on honeycomb.

XMonkey said:
To be fair, Samsung's 7.7" Tab is 720p (or 1280x800, same thing) and does not use a Pentile display. For small screens, you're right.
Sorry I should have clarified, any "phone size" OLED display is going to use a pentile matrix.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Google+ is driving me insane. Its so convoluted.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
thespot84 said:
i only use it reactively at this point, it's never open unless I see a red update while im in gmail...
Its just... its impossible to tell whats shared and whats not. I look at my profile on my phone and it shows my address and phone number under contact info. So I have a micropanic attack and then I go to the desktop and its not there.. but why does it show up on the phone? I don't know.. its just icky. Google+ is icky.

I just don't understand why that information would show up in the app/on G+ without my permission.

Yoshiya

razr-teaserju6u.jpg

Nice. Sorry, Bionic owners.

Still, kind of hard to be interested about the Droid RAZR with the Prime tomorrow, especially for those of us outside the US. Odd time for the reveal.

zedge

zbeeb said:
strange? must be an asus thing only then. In settings -> screen -> tick box that says screenshot and voila! screenshots on honeycomb.
Galaxy tab 10.1 has screen shot button also.

Yoshiya said:

I think the RAZR is going for more of a design appeal then specs, so aiming for a different market. I recall reading the specs aren't going to be as high, and just judging from those pics the screen will probably be smaller as well.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Yoshiya said:

Still, kind of hard to be interested about the Droid RAZR with the Prime tomorrow, especially for those of us outside the US. Odd time for the reveal.
Hey look, a Droid X.

I like you Motorola, but show some initiative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom